Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Scratch-O posted:

I mean, the PS4 also had and has strong third-party support, and going by Wikipedia, it had at least two exclusive first-party launch games (Killzone and Knack), which puts it one ahead of the Switch. I'd say the PS4 doesn't need PS1 games nearly as much as the Switch needs VC.

The PS4 to date has about as many worthwhile exclusives as the switch to date (Bloodborne) so it's probably a bad comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

In Training posted:

The PS4 to date has about as many worthwhile exclusives as the switch to date (Bloodborne) so it's probably a bad comparison

I think you're selling it a little short, but okay.

E: Did they ever port Chibi-Robo to the Wii? I'd buy that on the Wii U VC, that's for sure.

Scratch-O fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 31, 2017

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

SeANMcBAY posted:

I hope it isn't true but I have a feeling Nintendo will pull the plug on online functionality on Wii U in a year or so.

The Wii U is still worth getting since there's so many good exclusives that probably won't get Switch ports like Mario 3D World, Captain Toad, Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, etc. etc.

The Wii's eShop is still running, somehow. Even if Nintendo kills online gaming on the Wii U like they did the Wii, I don't think they're killing the Wii U eShop for at least 5 years or so. The eShop's only function is to make Nintendo money.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Scratch-O posted:

I have a PS4 and don't have a switch but pretty much the only reason I play anything on it is because I don't want to mess with getting my dualshock to work with the PC version.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Like I love my PS4 but I've thought about it recently and compared to the previous generations there's practically no reason to buy non-Nintendo consoles anymore

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Scratch-O posted:

E: Did they ever port Chibi-Robo to the Wii? I'd buy that on the Wii U VC, that's for sure.

They did but only in Japan.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

In Training posted:

Like I love my PS4 but I've thought about it recently and compared to the previous generations there's practically no reason to buy non-Nintendo consoles anymore

Well, I'll agree with you on that.

SeANMcBAY posted:

They did but only in Japan.

That sucks. The later games never captured the feeling of the first one, I'd kill for some Chibi-Robo But With A Different House And More Tools.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Scratch-O posted:

Well, I'll agree with you on that.

That sucks. The later games never captured the feeling of the first one, I'd kill for some Chibi-Robo But With A Different House And More Tools.

Check out the fan translation for Clean Sweep on DS. It's the closest to the GC one and is actually a direct sequel. A shame it never came out in English officially since it's easily the best one after the original.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Check out the fan translation for Clean Sweep on DS. It's the closest to the GC one and is actually a direct sequel. A shame it never came out in English officially since it's easily the best one after the original.

Oh poo poo, I didn't know they actually finished a fan translation of that one! I'll check it out, thanks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Patter Song posted:

The Wii's eShop is still running, somehow. Even if Nintendo kills online gaming on the Wii U like they did the Wii, I don't think they're killing the Wii U eShop for at least 5 years or so. The eShop's only function is to make Nintendo money.

They didnt arbitrarily kill the Wii's online gaming, it was leased through GameSpy's servers so it died with them. The WiiU's is all in-house.

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light
They've never released any hard numbers, but from what I can tell the virtual console games don't sell anywhere near as well as people seem to think. I remember reading that Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow had sold 1.5 million copies combined several months after release and the way the article was worded made it sound like that was a huge number compared to even Mario or Zelda. This was on a system with about 40 million units sold at the time. Putting VC games on the Switch right now probably doesn't make a lot of sense financially.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Nintendo please put Binding of Isaac on the UK switch store.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LoveBoatCaptain posted:

They've never released any hard numbers, but from what I can tell the virtual console games don't sell anywhere near as well as people seem to think. I remember reading that Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow had sold 1.5 million copies combined several months after release and the way the article was worded made it sound like that was a huge number compared to even Mario or Zelda. This was on a system with about 40 million units sold at the time. Putting VC games on the Switch right now probably doesn't make a lot of sense financially.

Plus they're still kinda-sorta trying to sell NES Mini's whenever someone can find a box of them to stick on a store shelf somewhere.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

LoveBoatCaptain posted:

For a game that sold well in the past, as long as porting is cheap the profit margin has to be sweet

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Posted this in the 3DS thread, guess I'll put it here too (since nobody's said anything about taking it):

KennyMan666 posted:

Because I had platinum points about to run out and got it while it was a free download from My Nintendo here's a EU Flipnote Studio 3D code, please say if you take it. The first letter of the code is the same as the first letter of the first word in this post.

Edit: gone!

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 2, 2017

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

VideoGames posted:

Nintendo please put Binding of Isaac on the UK switch store.
Set up an NA account and buy a couple of $20 Eshop cards online. It takes like ten minutes top.

No region locking rules rules rules.

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light

Junkie Disease posted:

For a game that sold well in the past, as long as porting is cheap the profit margin has to be sweet

Exactly. Which is why they put up all their big first party games for the available platforms and moved on to the next. More obscure games and third party games like they had on the Wii probably wouldn't make a profit with only 14 million consoles sold.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LoveBoatCaptain posted:

Exactly. Which is why they put up all their big first party games for the available platforms and moved on to the next. More obscure games and third party games like they had on the Wii probably wouldn't make a profit with only 14 million consoles sold.

A good portion of those likely only ever ran Wii Sports for their entire lifespan without even being connected to the Internet.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I can't get over the lack of region lock. I have a US and Japan account on my Switch and when I see Japanese news on my system, I feel like I'm doing something illegal.

Not that I've bought anything but the NA versions of Zelda, 1-2 Switch, Neo Turf Masters, Waku Waku 7, and Shovel Knight - but I'm glad the option is there.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A good portion of those likely only ever ran Wii Sports for their entire lifespan without even being connected to the Internet.

The Wii had a rather strong attach rate of 8.84. There are definitely a number of Wiis that were Wii Sports machines but I think people tend to underestimate how many Wii games people bought.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
My Nintendo just added a 30% off coupon for Fates Birthright. Does anyone know if that applies to the $20 DLC version of the game as well as the full $40 version?

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Given this is a de facto Nintendo chat thread (but aren't they all?) because we can't have nice things, I thought I'd just say that I loled when jivjov changed his Twitter profile picture back to the egg

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Jivjov has a twitter account?!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Healbot posted:

Yep, feel free to follow me. @jivjov

Alec Eiffel posted:

Given this is a de facto Nintendo chat thread (but aren't they all?) because we can't have nice things, I thought I'd just say that I loled when jivjov changed his Twitter profile picture back to the egg

I liked being an egg.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Oh drat, Nintendo shut down Wii Karaoke U in Europe. I guess I can't torment my neighbors anymore with my renditions of Iron Maiden songs. :(

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Pocket Rumble's release date has quietly slipped to "TBD."

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Discount Viscount posted:

Pocket Rumble's release date has quietly slipped to "TBD."

:negative:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Healbot posted:

lol if you don't follow jivjov on twitter

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

LoveBoatCaptain posted:

well it might when it's been several months and they only have like 4 games for the system.

the portable nature of this system makes on-the-go snes games more appealing for sure.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So you know how we all generally agreed the WiiU was pretty much dead and done with Breath of the Wild?

Turns out there is one final punchline to be told; The Warmastered Edition of Darksiders is getting a WiiU release on the 23rd of May, meaning that the console's library will actually end on a 3rd-party title :allears:.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

MinibarMatchman posted:

well it might when it's been several months and they only have like 4 games for the system.

the portable nature of this system makes on-the-go snes games more appealing for sure.

I'm actually hoping it kinda stays this way. It's been a month, and I have combined around 80-90 hours played on this thing between Zelda, Blaster Master Zero, SnipperClips, Shovel Knight and Binding of Isaac. And I only really started playing and understanding Isaac in the past couple days. I did finish Mom's heart with Isaac twice, but I haven't touched any of the other characters yet. There's a lot more content to this game than I thought, and I'm starting to get why people have like over 100 hours in it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So you know how we all generally agreed the WiiU was pretty much dead and done with Breath of the Wild?

Turns out there is one final punchline to be told; The Warmastered Edition of Darksiders is getting a WiiU release on the 23rd of May, meaning that the console's library will actually end on a 3rd-party title :allears:.

No, the best irony about that is that the system begins and ends with Darksiders... in the reverse order.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
FYI, if you have the Amazon Prime discount the physical version of Puyo Puyo Tetris is $31.99. You're functionally paying $1 each for the keychains over the eshop price.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phantasium posted:

No, the best irony about that is that the system begins and ends with Darksiders... in the reverse order.

Oh poo poo, it does too :munch:.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

deadly_pudding posted:

FYI, if you have the Amazon Prime discount the physical version of Puyo Puyo Tetris is $31.99. You're functionally paying $1 each for the keychains over the eshop price.

poo poo, I thought people said that the physical and digital prices would be the same for all Switch games for consistency. I'm actually glad the prices are different. I'm still going to buy physical whenever I can, but it's good to see pricing that makes logical sense.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Fremry posted:

poo poo, I thought people said that the physical and digital prices would be the same for all Switch games for consistency. I'm actually glad the prices are different. I'm still going to buy physical whenever I can, but it's good to see pricing that makes logical sense.

They are, Amazon just gives a 20% discount on new games for Prime members.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

ChaosArgate posted:

They are, Amazon just gives a 20% discount on new games for Prime members.

No, I mean, Puyo Puyo Tetris is $30 digital and $40 physical MSRP. I was under the impression that for parity, all digital games had to be priced at their physical price, and that's why Switch games were all more expensive than other platforms.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The physical version of Puyo Puyo Tetris comes with some keychains or something.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

irlZaphod posted:

The physical version of Puyo Puyo Tetris comes with some keychains or something.

Can't wait to get those lovely cheap-rear end looking keychains later this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ddogflex posted:

Can't wait to get those lovely cheap-rear end looking keychains later this month.

I'm going to attach them to the messenger bag that I bring to the office, because my old nerd talisman broke off. I blaze through manchild enchantments too quickly :negative: