Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

redneck nazgul posted:

I honestly question whether there's anyone out there who actually voted for Obama and then voted for both Romney and Trump. Bonus points if that mythical disillusioned Obama voter is old, white, and near the poverty line.

As endearing as these stories are, I refuse to believe this woman or anyone in her situation ever voted for Obama.

Good news! I just read this article on Vox with a disillusioned Trump voter who also voted fro Romney and Obama. She's in her 50s, white, but not near the poverty line (though her rising medical costs may soon change that)

http://www.vox.com/conversations/2017/4/1/15144050/obamacare-ahca-repeal-replace-trump-marketplace

And bonus points for this same individual who also posted to the "I Regret Voting for Trump" Facebook group (re-printed in Vox) earlier this year.
http://www.vox.com/first-person/2017/1/18/14300952/donald-trump-vote-regret

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
It's very possible that a person who voted for Trump on emotion also voted for Obama and change on emotion.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I follow this twitter account just for the "overheard at the Pentagon" quotes.

https://twitter.com/nancyayoussef/status/848887147222507520

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Still not buying it.

A: These people think that saying they voted Obama in 2008 would make other people think they're racist. Voting against him in 2012 is okay since they did it once and we had a black president, racism is over.

B: These people are 50 or older. They've been voting since at least Reagan. They never establish any voting history, which means there isn't anything there. Either they didn't vote or they went straight Republican until Obama showed up and would make them feel guilty if they got caught voting against him. Who'd they vote for in '92? (HINT: It was probably Perot.)

C: Much like every Breitbart article about radical liberal professors waterboarding innocent Christian students until they renounce Christ and embrace Marx, this poo poo is solely printed to make some people on the left clutch at their pearls and make some point and laugh. It's self-validating garbage.

redneck nazgul fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 3, 2017

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The schadenfreude sustains me

Yuuuup. gently caress her. I'm usually an empathetic person but not towards racists. Don't vote for the party that rants about cutting govt spending and then act surprised when your program of choice is cut.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The other Donnie news today (other than 6am tweets while he was watching fox news, one including a tweet directed at the FBI) is that his financial/business Trust is even more bullshit than we thought it was.

https://twitter.com/dataeditor/status/848874901998010368

I mean, it makes sense, since we're talking about Donnie and 'trust' in the same sentence.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

redneck nazgul posted:

Still not buying it.

A: These people think that saying they voted Obama in 2008 would make other people think they're racist. Voting against him in 2012 is okay since they did it once and we had a black president, racism is over.

B: These people are 50 or older. They've been voting since at least Reagan. They never establish any voting history, which means there isn't anything there. Either they didn't vote or they went straight Republican until Obama showed up and would make them feel guilty if they got caught voting against him. Who'd they vote for in '92? (HINT: It was probably Perot.)

C: Much like every Breitbart article about radical liberal professors waterboarding innocent Christian students until they renounce Christ and embrace Marx, this poo poo is solely printed to make some people on the left clutch at their pearls and make some point and laugh. It's self-validating garbage.

Like most self proclaimed independents during elections, they say it to seem more Intelligent and fair minded. "Well I'm an independent and after thoughtful analysis of both sides I pick..."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

cowboy elvis posted:

Having a base level of empathy won't kill you.

I'm not going to empathize with old bigots responsible for 90% of the horrible legislation you see. She can re-think her 10 strikes policy while she's playing bridge with the dogs under an overpass.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
She's far from perfect and that's an awful opinion to have, that much I'm fully in agreement with.

Honestly, I'm tired of reading these Trump voter buyer remorse pieces. They're coming off more as lovely comedy than any serious insight.

There's generally this undercurrent of sadness where people who don't know any better were loving taken and they're suffering more than they were before. Elements of their backstory can be sympathized with.

The full on militia, racist ones? Yea gently caress them.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

facialimpediment posted:

I follow this twitter account just for the "overheard at the Pentagon" quotes.

https://twitter.com/nancyayoussef/status/848887147222507520

The irony being that some pentagon brat is trying to one-up the kush

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

These "lol look at this dying Trump voter" takes also reenforce the narrative that poor people put Trump in office, a conventional wisdom that ignores that 90%+ of his voters were ordinary republicans, a group who are better off than average. Any demographic analysis of how Trump got there needs to start with the biggest group: economically comfortable suburban white people who have become radicalized. If you want to understand Trump, you need to look at the guy in the pristine F150 commuting to his office job while ranting about Benghazi and Obamaphones.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Oh god this is going to dive into why Hillary lost in about four posts.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I think the best part about that disaffected Trump voter was how she gives Trump (or any president) ten strikes before withdrawing her support and he's only garnered one strike thus far.

I mean, that's lovely and it sucks for a lot of people, but gently caress her. Ten loving strikes before you maybe rethink your vote and support? :lol: Bullshit, he could be on strike 99, and she'd still find a reason to vote for him or whoever has an (R) next to their name no matter how abhorrent they are.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Thwomps first vox article is good. That person gives a well thought out interview. See, I feel bad for her some what. She actually wants her peers to move past the fake news and political rhetoric.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

TBeats posted:

It's very possible that a person who voted for Trump on emotion also voted for Obama and change on emotion.

It's amazing how many people in this thread still assume that anyone who voted for Obama would automatically have voted for Hillary.

Edit:

TBeats posted:

Oh god this is going to dive into why Hillary lost in about four posts.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Godholio posted:

It's amazing how many people in this thread still assume that anyone who voted for Obama would automatically have voted for Hillary.

Edit:

She was poo poo. 2.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

FastestGunAlive posted:

Thwomps first vox article is good. That person gives a well thought out interview. See, I feel bad for her some what. She actually wants her peers to move past the fake news and political rhetoric.

Link?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
You know things in a country are bad when there are explosions and people killed and you have to wonder if it was terrorism or just Putin.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

ded posted:

You know things in a country are bad when there are explosions and people killed and you have to wonder if it was terrorism or just Putin.

it's not terrorism if it's our president!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Did somebody say Hillary?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/848857910297980928

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Its like the election never ends. 4 years from now, he'll still be name dropping Hillary.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Best Friends posted:

These "lol look at this dying Trump voter" takes also reenforce the narrative that poor people put Trump in office, a conventional wisdom that ignores that 90%+ of his voters were ordinary republicans, a group who are better off than average. Any demographic analysis of how Trump got there needs to start with the biggest group: economically comfortable suburban white people who have become radicalized. If you want to understand Trump, you need to look at the guy in the pristine F150 commuting to his office job while ranting about Benghazi and Obamaphones.

From what I could tell by reading demographic studies of Trump supporters, the archetypal Trump voter was a small business owner who is doing okay themselves despite not having much of an education, but who is living in a dying rural county and is terrified that everything they've built is going to fall apart. Studies found that (other than racial animus), financial anxiety was one of the greatest correlation to Trump support, but that the anxiety really didn't correlate to how much money the people being polled were making. Trump support correlated highly with things like opioid abuse and white suicide rates, but it seemed to me less than that Trump supporters were more likely to be the ones doing those things (those folks were maybe more likely to just not vote than anything else) than that being surrounded by those trends made people more likely to Trump supporters.

That said, any of these articles about one person are kind of by definition bullshit? You can find an individual to support any preconceived worldview you want.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Trump is aware that he won the election, yes?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
He's just going back to the well of things he knows his supporters won't question him on. A cheap attempt for some external validation.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Also, how could Hillary have received the answers to the debate? Does he think it was a test?

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 3, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

cowboy elvis posted:

Trump is aware that he won the election, yes?

Maybe the president is in the "Bernie would have won" camp.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Ardlen posted:

Also, how could Hillary have received the answers to the debate? Does he think it was a test?

Possible: Donnie knows it's bullshit, but the fact that it's bullshit then makes people go WELL, ACTUALLY and then it becomes a topic on cable news.

Possible: Donnie's just dumb as gently caress.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Ardlen posted:

He misspoke in his own passive aggressive way.

Donna Brazile confirmed her illuminati status.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Godholio posted:

Hillary was a poo poo candidate, the sky is blue, water is wet, always campaign in the Rust Belt. I'm not assuming anyone who voted for Obama would automatically vote for Hillary.

I don't believe people voted for Obama in 2008, then changed their mind and voted for Romney in 2012 and Trump in 2016. Maybe someone could justify voting for Obama in 2008 by saying that they didn't want Sarah Palin within a heartbeat of the presidency in 2008, but I'm not sure how you can rationalize that with putting Trump in the presidency in 2016.

There's no way of knowing whether these people are telling the truth when they say how they voted, and it's a demonstrable fact that people don't like to associate themselves with the losing/unpopular side: The number of self-described Republicans has plummeted since Dubya was in charge, while the number of 'independents' who coincidentally end up voting straight ticket R has grown by the same number. They should remove the independent label from polls: If someone wants to say that they're not a Democrat/Republican, make them choose a useless third party with which to associate themselves and then the Democrats can stop trying to appeal to people who vote Republican while refusing to associate themselves with the likes of Trump.

Regardless, it doesn't change the fact that these regretful Trump voters are only whining because electing Trump didn't fix all of their problems overnight, and the only reason journalists are paying attention to them is because people enjoy finding those articles, clicking on them, and going "Ha ha, you did this to yourself".

redneck nazgul fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 3, 2017

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

"Now those drat democrats are giving Gorsuch problems. Not a single one of them is voting for him. Nothing like this ever happened under Obama." -My Grandmother a few minutes ago, a voter.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

redneck nazgul posted:

There's no way of knowing whether these people are telling the truth when they say how they voted, and it's a demonstrable fact that people don't like to associate themselves with the losing/unpopular side: The number of self-described Republicans has plummeted since Dubya was in charge, while the number of 'independents' who coincidentally end up voting straight ticket R has grown by the same number. They should remove the independent label from polls: If someone wants to say that they're not a Democrat/Republican, make them choose a useless third party with which to associate themselves and then the Democrats can stop trying to appeal to people who vote Republican while refusing to associate themselves with the likes of Trump.

And then independent turns into "NONE" and nothing has changed.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

SwampDonkey posted:

And then independent turns into "NONE" and nothing has changed.

It'd be simple enough, and you could honestly get rid of asking for party affiliation.

Establish their age, ask them who they voted for in the past X presidential elections, going as far back as Bush Senior/Clinton/Perot. You can extrapolate their actual party affiliation from there without telling them. If they didn't vote in any election, ask them who they would have voted for in 2016. If they say neither candidate, thank them for their time and hang up.

I mention Perot because I have a sneaking suspicion that there's a correlation between people who voted for Perot and people who voted for Trump, but I haven't had the time to do any serious research on it.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

That makes more sense than an arbitrary third party.

The only admitted Perot voter I know reads Breitbart and posts on Gab.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
This administration could really use a war or attack to bolster their popularity.....

*looks at north korea *

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Waroduce posted:

This administration could really use a war or attack to bolster their popularity.....

*looks at north korea *

The only way that works is if he's able to frame it that the IC was more concerned with wiretapping him than keeping America safe.

So, uh, 50/50 odds.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

redneck nazgul posted:

The only way that works is if he's able to frame it that the IC was more concerned with wiretapping him than keeping America safe.

So, uh, 50/50 odds.

Are you forgetting that it came out the IC was all but screaming at Bush about people not being interested in how to land planes?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

SwampDonkey posted:

That makes more sense than an arbitrary third party.

The only admitted Perot voter I know reads Breitbart and posts on Gab.

I voted for Perot in an elementary school mock election because his symbol was an eagle, which was cooler than a donkey or an elephant.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Wasabi the J posted:

I voted for Perot in an elementary school mock election because his symbol was an eagle, which was cooler than a donkey or an elephant.

I voted for Bush in 2nd grade because his dad had been president when I was born, therefor he had to be good! :downs:

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I voted for Bush in 2nd grade because his dad had been president when I was born, therefor he had to be good! :downs:

I voted for Dukakis in elementary school because I thought his name was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Two Finger posted:

Are you forgetting that it came out the IC was all but screaming at Bush about people not being interested in how to land planes?

Bush wasn't in a state of unannounced war with the IC in his first year, and at first glance, 9/11 was pretty out of the blue. It wasn't until later that everyone put the pieces together and went "Yeah, this was preventable".

Trump's policies are, at best, conveniently ignoring potential sources of terrorism and encouraging it at worst. The only way Trump's getting 90%+ approval like you had under Dubya immediately after 9/11 is if he can sell it to America that the IC spent too much time trying to ruin him when they should have looked at RADICAL ISLAMIC TERRER.

• Locked thread