Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

McDragon posted:

I did the E thing. I still can't get over the fact the game made a goofy fight the credits section emotional. The encouraging messages, the music switch-up(s), everything. And the extra bits for deletion, Even the "are you sure" bits got you to think about the decision properly as opposed to just mindlessly picking "yes". Had to screenshot a bunch of it this time, there's some great lines in there and there were some really sweet messages :3:

This game is gonna stick with me a while I think. Heck of an experience.

It's a bit surprising, and maybe they did it in lieu of writing a proper ending for the game's actual characters, but I really like how they close out Nier:Automata. It's got this all-of-a-sudden yet you-sort-of-saw-it-coming message about the power of faith, togetherness, and maintaining human bonds.

It's all the more sweet that you spend the first half of the game praying over corpses, restoring or retrieving them and presumably doing that player a kindness in their game. Then you lose all of that, you're alone and there's nobody to pray to or anything. Then, out of nowhere, at your most dire hour, it all comes full circle and you are the one receiving the prayers and the help of those who came before you; and then you learn just what it cost for them to do it.

It's such a weird loving game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

photogenic

:ironicat:

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
Finished the game. It's good and focuses on ~themes~ and weird gameplay/narrative ideas but still left me feeling like the plot and especially the setting backstory is dumb as h*ck. Left a mean message. That'll show the next guy. :smug:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm still sad over this game. I really wanna know what happens after ending E.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Pollyanna posted:

Everyone gets married and lives happily ever after because by god I didn't shoot my way through the entire dev team for anything less :colbert:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Machines restart a network and begin making more advanced machine models again, Emils keep their cycle of living and dying, 2B carries on living for a good 500 years doing whatever she got up to.

Source: Emil's fists.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So I tried to get the digital ost through amazon but lo and behold, dutch amazon loving sucks and doesn't even understand what a "nier" is. Meanwhile every other amazon surrounding our country seems to have it but good luck ordering through there, it will bug out during the final step.

Amazon usa is the closest I got, but even with an usa adres and a prepaid gift card amazon is just not accepting it.

:argh: Let me buy your poo poo instead of having to consider to resort to other means. I want to give you my money, loving take it!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Machines restart a network and begin making more advanced machine models again, Emils keep their cycle of living and dying, 2B carries on living for a good 500 years doing whatever she got up to.

Oh gently caress, I completely misread the story then. That or the dates in the entries didn't really sink in/I thought they were some sort of error. That should be interesting - maybe the extended material/some unlikely sequel will cover how this time will be different.

I for one choose to believe the machines and androids take up humanity's role and society on Earth, like they did in Mega Man Legends. :colbert:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The thing is Emil seems to die if you complete Emil's Determination so it makes that whole story kinda weird. Then again this is DRAKENGARD so alternate timelines and whatever

Meiteron posted:

Everyone gets married and lives happily ever after because by god I didn't shoot my way through the entire dev team for anything less :colbert:

2B pushes 9S off that roof and goes off to marry rebuilt 6O

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Nina posted:

The thing is Emil seems to die if you complete Emil's Determination so it makes that whole story kinda weird. Then again this is DRAKENGARD so alternate timelines and whatever

That weapon story has a line about how when an Emil dies a new clone spawns to take their place. Emil is trapped in the same spiral of life and death as everyone else.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Opposing Farce posted:

That weapon story has a line about how when an Emil dies a new clone spawns to take their place. Emil is trapped in the same spiral of life and death as everyone else.

Haha well gently caress you Taro :smith:

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Opposing Farce posted:

actually its worse than that!

2B and 9S aren't in the endless cycle anymore because of yorhas destruction. so if they die now it really is over. by the end, of the major characters in the game, Emil is the only one stuck in the cycle

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

actually its worse than that!

2B and 9S aren't in the endless cycle anymore because of yorhas destruction. so if they die now it really is over. by the end, of the major characters in the game, Emil is the only one stuck in the cycle

Nier is the only series where I can say "I really wish my favourite character would die" and mean it in an entirely benevolent way

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nothing's stopping the androids from setting up a new central server/backup farm, since the machines are perfectly capable of it themselves. This is all speculation though, who knows what happens now and the story of the world of NieR is basically over since magic is gone and the machines won the war.

Kind of sad to think there won't be any more NieR games, but maybe that's for the best. I don't see where they could go from here.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Nothing's stopping the androids from setting up a new central server/backup farm, since the machines are perfectly capable of it themselves. This is all speculation though, who knows what happens now and the story of the world of NieR is basically over since magic is gone and the machines won the war.

Kind of sad to think there won't be any more NieR games, but maybe that's for the best. I don't see where they could go from here.

Also, as shown in ending A, 9S and 2B might be able to upload their consciousness to the machine network when they die, and become as gods to the machine civilization.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My favorite enemy in the game is (route C) the bucket boss because he literally makes no loving sense. Like why was he even there? When a friend got to him he laughed and we just called him the hyper champ and here comes his goon squad to back him up oh shiiit.

Like he doesn't even have boss hp. I don't even know what his attacks are due to how fast he dies. Just confusing overall.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, there are almost certainly big android strongholds in other regions - that carrier and the missiles had to come from somewhere, not to mention whatever facility is launching the Moon resupply rockets. And, y'know, they have to manufacture new androids. Maybe the memory upload thing was YoRHa only or tied to the Bunkers because it's way easier to bounce that sort of thing up to an orbital instead of using land comms. Unlike the machines, androids can innovate - I'm sure they could figure something out.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

Do consider Bunker was the only android space station destroyed. All the other ones are still up there.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nina posted:

Nier is the only series where I can say "I really wish my favourite character would die" and mean it in an entirely benevolent way

I like to think it's not so bad because Emil's optimism is unassailable when he hasn't gone mad from identity death and PTSD, but then I remember that the Japanese script for Automata has him go from dying happy to see his friends again to dying of exhaustion and heartbreak after the battle is over.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

I like to think it's not so bad because Emil's optimism is unassailable when he hasn't gone mad from identity death and PTSD, but then I remember that the Japanese script for Automata has him go from dying happy to see his friends again to dying of exhaustion and heartbreak after the battle is over.

uhhh have you fought the second bonus boss

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nina posted:

But if Emil dies, who's going to take care of Kaine's house and the lunar tear garden? :smith:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

Now Drakengard 4 on the other hand...

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Pollyanna posted:

I was about to agree with you, but then I realized something: Taro managed to parley Drakengard 3, a commercial failure, into Nier: Automata. But now he has a critical and commercial success under his belt.

He's probably going to keep making games.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Nina posted:

Now Drakengard 4 on the other hand...

please no

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Uh, hes clearly looking forward to being unemployed and/or running a restaurant. :colbert:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Bad Seafood posted:

How on earth do you reach that one chest in the Flooded City.

You can press jump and the pod button at the same time to make it push you forward quit a bit in the air.

So make a running jump, double jump, press jump and pod at teh same time, air-dodge and hold jump float.
Then you can press attack while floating to gain altitude once. Just remember that you can't continue floating afterwards so use in the last moment!

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

To be fair at this point a new IP would be cool. Maybe something related to that other stage play Taro did (if it doesn't turn out it was indeed Nier-related in a roundabout way)

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

yeah i would really like to see him do something new and cool, especially if he can assemble a talented team for it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

uhhh have you fought the second bonus boss

That's the fight I'm talking about.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Abhorrence posted:

I was about to agree with you, but then I realized something: Taro managed to parley Drakengard 3, a commercial failure, into Nier: Automata. But now he has a critical and commercial success under his belt.

He's probably going to keep making games.

I say that mostly because I have no idea where the series would go from here, or what would happen with it. He's definitely still gonna make insane games from now on, that's for sure.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/04/03/an-exclusive-look-at-the-creation-of-2b-by-nier-automatas-character-modeller/

How 2B was modelled, by the man who modelled her himself.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Huh, no reference as to why she has a blindfold. (It's because the models look way worse without them.)
Actually, did they ever come up with a reason for the blindfold in-game? I haven't read all the weapon stories yet so I dunno.

FlyingKipper
May 11, 2005

DaveKap posted:

Huh, no reference as to why she has a blindfold. (It's because the models look way worse without them.)
Actually, did they ever come up with a reason for the blindfold in-game? I haven't read all the weapon stories yet so I dunno.

The blindfolds are actually transparent hud displays.

They are also symbolic of a number of themes running throughout the game, blind obedience, etc.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

FlyingKipper posted:

The blindfolds are actually transparent hud displays.

They are also symbolic of a number of themes running throughout the game, blind obedience, etc.

There's sort of a see-no-evil, speak-no-evil thing going on with the combat and S models' blindfolds and the Operators' mouth-obscuring veils

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Good point about the Operators.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I like that some of the weapon story artworks show an android with the blindfold, a mouth cover and headphones for like the full set but sadly you never see that in game.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

Nina posted:

I like that some of the weapon story artworks show an android with the blindfold, a mouth cover and headphones for like the full set but sadly you never see that in game.

The one probably wearing headphones is... you, the player.

:aaaaa:

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
So do we know why Eve has the Cult of the Watchers emblem on his chest when he goes full anime villains? Is it just a throwback or is there some meta plot fuckery going on here?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

warhammer651 posted:

So do we know why Eve has the Cult of the Watchers emblem on his chest when he goes full anime villains? Is it just a throwback or is there some meta plot fuckery going on here?

It doesn't mean anything if you believe Taro Don't believe Taro

I have a feeling the inevitable artbook will have something new to share like Grimoire Nier did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Huh, I thought there was a throwaway line from an interview somewhere that Taro came in halfway through 2B's character design and demanded that they make the most physically perfect rear end ever seen in a videogame.

I swear this isn't headcanon, I read that somewhere and I can't remember where.