Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A little salty that grandmasters didn't get closed beta invites by default honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Len posted:

A little salty that grandmasters didn't get closed beta invites by default honestly.

to be financially viable the game needs that clean break and new game smell, and giving auto invites to all the grandmasters so they end up leaking information about how the game ISNT MY SECRET WORLD is probably counterproductive. that's my guess and their policy may change later.

at the end of the day all the decisions they've made point to one thing: the current GM playerbase is NOT the main target. they're looking for new blood and lapsed players who may have tried the game a little but quit before X point.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I think "we want opinions from a wide range of players, not just existing fans" is the official reason but yeah, they were probably expecting most grandmasters to give feedback along the lines of "we fear change". Certainly seems that way from the official forums anyway. :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I fear change too, not because I'm losing my rad loot, but because I know what Funcompetence has achieved with "change" in the past :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
The relaunch's viral marketing campaign seems to be going well though: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-39467269

Polaris Shipping :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Maybe that box will have a real code now instead of pubbies brute forcing it and then reverse finding a reason for the solution.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Man, what even is the history of that code? I think it currently just opens after three wrong guesses but didn't it originally require you looking something up on the Orochi Group website? Or is that just bullshit?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
First time I ran that with the two people I play with the two pick-up dudes we got didn't know it either. We entered the code a dozen times and spent an hour scouring around for why the obvious code wasn't the right code. I finally looked up the answer and there was no explanation of it and we couldn't figure out how it got to be that either.

Oh how young and naive we were to think that it was a real solution we were just missing..... :allears:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

As far as I can tell it was a brute force thing and then they went backwards. From there so by typing in "Polaris 5756" you get a link to Polaris Biosolutions Inc. which is obviously TSW related despite:

Polaris is the name of the ship not the company
None of the Orochi groups having Biosoltuions in the name
The company that owns the ship is based out of Japan not loving San Francisco
There being literally nothing tying it into the game at all or any reason to google those numbers

But pubbies gonna pub so they spammed any website giving info about Polaris Biosolutions with 1 star ratings and made comments about having to clean up their tanker messes.

Edit: Here's the original Polaris Lockbox thread https://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?63704-Polaris-Lore-from-the-lock-box/page19

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Dexo posted:

I quit playing because Aegis was dumb

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Pilchenstein posted:

I think "we want opinions from a wide range of players, not just existing fans" is the official reason but yeah, they were probably expecting most grandmasters to give feedback along the lines of "we fear change". Certainly seems that way from the official forums anyway. :v:

This, and those same players would undoubtedly poo poo up every forum they could find explaining to anyone who would listen how bad the new game is. Considering how important hyping up a relaunch is this could be pretty bad.

Its definitely a bummer for the grandmasters who arent desperate hangers on terrified of change, but its a sound decision for the overall health of the game.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I bought the lifetime membership thing a million years ago and haven't logged in since I think Tyler Freeborn was new. Should I log in and claim all my free poo poo for when this thing happens? I played it like a single player rpg and loved the story to death. I'm getting wetter than a retard's chin over this hail Mary for the game.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I think I'm thier target audience. I barely made it past kings mouth and quit because I found the combat floaty and annoying.

Sorry I find your game guys

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

clone on the phone posted:

I bought the lifetime membership thing a million years ago and haven't logged in since I think Tyler Freeborn was new. Should I log in and claim all my free poo poo for when this thing happens? I played it like a single player rpg and loved the story to death. I'm getting wetter than a retard's chin over this hail Mary for the game.

You should spend those points while you can, as "some" cosmetic items will be transferred. I kind of envy you as Last train and Dream to kill are excellent. Especially if they fix the drat train in legends.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

dumb and kinda scared posted:

Especially if they fix the drat train in legends.
In none of the interviews I've read has anyone asked them specifically about the parts of the game that straight up suck arse, it's annoying. If and when I get into the beta, first thing I'm trying is Lava Game Champion to see if they've fixed achievements/mission objectives failing based on server side prediction. :v:

Yue
Jun 3, 2012

CUT, CUT, CUT! I said MORE prancing, damnit!

Len posted:

There is a good reason for this. I'm not in the beta either, but I've heard things. By all accounts, this isn't the PR demo we're used to thinking of when we hear "beta," this is a product in serious need of customer feedback. The beta forums, reportedly, are being read and listened to.

I'm sure we'll all get in later on, when things are finished, but right now there's placeholder voice acting by random people from the office, WIP models, character creator is halfway between the old models and the new and looks hilariously wrong as a result...The only thing that worries me is the "spring 2017" launch date. Unless they're working harder than Funcom has ever worked before I don't see this stuff being fixable before the middle of May.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

That sounds pretty good. Having stuff like 10 people per zone and changing the action quests is a huge plus for me although it seems like we really need to play the game ourselves to see if combat has improved.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Rip out all the mmo and make it a party based tactical rpg like Dragon Age. Illuminati doc and the girl from the academy are your starting companions, but if you preorder, you can get a tamed akkad as a summon.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Agreed. We also need romance options in the form of getting to have gay sex with anyone I buy enough expensive gifts for.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Nah, make it like Dragon's Dogma and you romance whoever you talked to the most. In a year they can patch it so everyone doesn't accidentally romance the auction house person.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Yue posted:

There is a good reason for this. I'm not in the beta either, but I've heard things. By all accounts, this isn't the PR demo we're used to thinking of when we hear "beta," this is a product in serious need of customer feedback. The beta forums, reportedly, are being read and listened to.

I'm sure we'll all get in later on, when things are finished, but right now there's placeholder voice acting by random people from the office, WIP models, character creator is halfway between the old models and the new and looks hilariously wrong as a result...The only thing that worries me is the "spring 2017" launch date. Unless they're working harder than Funcom has ever worked before I don't see this stuff being fixable before the middle of May.

So it's an old school beta. Like the original TSW release. Kind of fitting.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I hope that this brings a lot of new people to the game and everyone has a good time and it ushers in a new revitalized TSW with crazy popularity.

But I'm also pretty sure that they're going to remove a lot of choice and "streamline" things to make it "more accessible." I'm not a TSW hardcore grognard- I don't really care about optimizing numbers and whatever else, but having so many options available is what appealed to me and i'm worried that they're going to reduce complexity for the sake of players from other games who are used to choosing one of two possible options in their incredibly limited skill tree when they level.

There's a lot of bland dev speak about getting rid of the wheel and reducing the number of abilities, and not much in the way of hard details which makes me think they're going to strip out a lot. :ohdear:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Gawain The Blind posted:

I hope that this brings a lot of new people to the game and everyone has a good time and it ushers in a new revitalized TSW with crazy popularity.

But I'm also pretty sure that they're going to remove a lot of choice and "streamline" things to make it "more accessible." I'm not a TSW hardcore grognard- I don't really care about optimizing numbers and whatever else, but having so many options available is what appealed to me and i'm worried that they're going to reduce complexity for the sake of players from other games who are used to choosing one of two possible options in their incredibly limited skill tree when they level.

There's a lot of bland dev speak about getting rid of the wheel and reducing the number of abilities, and not much in the way of hard details which makes me think they're going to strip out a lot. :ohdear:

TBF there's a lot in the ability wheel that could be stripped out and a lot of people wouldn't notice.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So it's an old school beta. Like the original TSW release. Kind of fitting.

I remember getting into the original TSW continuous closed beta because Funcom loving screwed up a giveaway of keys and sent us permanent ones. It was hilarious and got me to try most of the game for months before its original release. Surprisingly, even though it was super rough, the way they kept improving on the beta was one of the reasons I actually bought the game despite its issues.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I remember getting into the original TSW continuous closed beta because Funcom loving screwed up a giveaway of keys and sent us permanent ones. It was hilarious and got me to try most of the game for months before its original release. Surprisingly, even though it was super rough, the way they kept improving on the beta was one of the reasons I actually bought the game despite its issues.

Hell yeah. It was the first (and only) beta I've ever been in. Seeing how it improved was really cool.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I really liked the core concepts regarding the mixed weapon types and array of skills, as well as the competing factions. The grim mood was so well executed that I limited my play sessions because spending too long running around under those gloomy skies was sort of depressing. When I started to struggle figuring out how to properly mix and prioritize skills my interest faded. I craft in pretty much any game that supports it but the crafting in this game didn't appeal to me at all.

If they can breathe new life into the game I'd definitely give it a shot, even if I'd much rather see AO get another turn. :kiddo:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

If any of you have a football jersey, faction colored... find me ingame as Yawk. I will shower you in riches if I must.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 3, 2017

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I mean, for me, the main joy of TSW was the investigation missions (with the associated writing/plot etc.) so I hope they don't touch that too much. That Kingsmouth illuminati mission is just :discourse:

Also maybe they can remove the Cost of Magic and most of Transylvania.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Or just rewrite it. It had a few interesting locations and characters that were completely wasted. A small town under siege by vampires with a pub catering to drunk grimm's fairy tales characters? Awesome.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Yue posted:

The only thing that worries me is the "spring 2017" launch date. Unless they're working harder than Funcom has ever worked before I don't see this stuff being fixable before the middle of May.

Isn't June still "spring" technically?

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

TBF there's a lot in the ability wheel that could be stripped out and a lot of people wouldn't notice.
I'd rather they make some of the less used abilities more mechanically interesting, give them a spot. It's not a "deck based" build system if you don't have sufficient cards to choose from.

On that note, the one thing they've announced so far that sounds questionable is having people start with two weapons and have to grind/pay to unlock more. Comes down to execution, of course, but the game encourages versatility and experimentation by nature.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
So I discovered you can just buy your way past scenarios and do an annoying Venice quest to get to Tokyo and oof, I see what people meant about the aegis system sucking.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
So what exactly is going on with Legends? Am I right to assume from what I've gleaned that it's going to be a complete overhaul of the game basically and then they are going to relaunch TSW?

SkullMuffinz
Jan 31, 2011

I like things that are dumb.

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

So what exactly is going on with Legends? Am I right to assume from what I've gleaned that it's going to be a complete overhaul of the game basically and then they are going to relaunch TSW?

Yes, the main things they mentioned overhauling were the combat and progression systems. The story is going to be the same. Also, it's going to be treated as a new game so it won't maintain your progress.

However, to compensate for this, TSW is still going to have its own servers so if you don't want to start over or don't like the new actiony combat you can keep playing the game as you know it now.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Yeah it is turning into a deck based game where you "capture" monster abilities into "cards". You can upgrade these "cards" by defeating the monsters that use a specific ability. Rumor is they will have pay content that is "boosters" that added new, stronger, or variants of monsters already in game.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

SkullMuffinz posted:

Yes, the main things they mentioned overhauling were the combat and progression systems. The story is going to be the same. Also, it's going to be treated as a new game so it won't maintain your progress.

However, to compensate for this, TSW is still going to have its own servers so if you don't want to start over or don't like the new actiony combat you can keep playing the game as you know it now.

Cool because I haven't played since a couple months after launch and this sounds like it'd be a good time to get back into it.

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah it is turning into a deck based game where you "capture" monster abilities into "cards". You can upgrade these "cards" by defeating the monsters that use a specific ability. Rumor is they will have pay content that is "boosters" that added new, stronger, or variants of monsters already in game.

I'd be down for TSW Hearthstone clone.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Don't think it's been mentioned here yet but if you want to reserve your TSW character name for Legends then the reservation thing is now available on the TSW account page.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Leaks are starting to come out on reddit, and if true, the weapons system seems to have undergone a bit of a change, like hammers now have a rage bar as they do/get damage, shotguns have different types of ammo, etc.

E: https://m.imgur.com/a/7msJO

angerbot fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 5, 2017

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

angerbeet posted:

Leaks are starting to come out on reddit, and if true, the weapons system seems to have undergone a bit of a change, like hammers now have a rage bar as they do/get damage, shotguns have different types of ammo, etc.

:stoked:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

angerbeet posted:

Those look like some nice changes, hopefully make combat a bit more than just hitting 1,2,3

• Locked thread