Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

She's actually wasting time and lives in her position rather than helping anyone.

Little old out of touch liberal lawmakers need not apply

Yeah, man, I agree, I just don't think Feinstein getting unseated or retiring has, in isolation, a significant effect on the war on drugs. I think she should be unseated or retired anyway, though I can kind of see the point that this is a problem that solves itself in a few years.

Even so, I think there's value (to progressives) in having a visible progressive challenger on the ballot even if they're doomed to failure. Pretty much the only thing nudging mainstream Democratic standbys into any kind of decent action at the moment is the threat of open revolt among their constituents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Concerned Citizen posted:

yeah well no one knows who your candidate is if they can't run ads

maybe if the citizens..............united??????

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Not a Step posted:

Managed like a hedge fund, or managed like a terminal patient?

Because I could see it either way.

My interpretation is it's managed in 3 concrete ways.

One, that the only options when you get to vote are managed down to a narrow window of slavish-to-business, hurtful-to-the-vulnerable policies.

Second, that even when the people vote for something outside of what's deemed acceptable by the managers, they don't get it. Witness both Obama and Trump campaigning to fundamentally change the American government for the and then snapping right back to the consensus.

Third is that many bodies that make important governing decisions are completely unaccountable to any democratic check. The Federal Reserve which is the US economy's central planner and is run by the finance industry is the most egregious example.

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 19:05 on Apr 3, 2017

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

docbeard posted:

Yeah, man, I agree, I just don't think Feinstein getting unseated or retiring has, in isolation, a significant effect on the war on drugs. I think she should be unseated or retired anyway, though I can kind of see the point that this is a problem that solves itself in a few years.

Even so, I think there's value (to progressives) in having a visible progressive challenger on the ballot even if they're doomed to failure. Pretty much the only thing nudging mainstream Democratic standbys into any kind of decent action at the moment is the threat of open revolt among their constituents.

Yea I agree. Old idiots are slowly killing the rest of us

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

please elaborate, i cant stand to read dnd these days

Article in question, for the record.
Essentially it boils down to being the same thing that happens whenever someone offers a differing minority perspective that goes against the centrist grain: It gets completely ignored, because it's extremely important to maintain a particular narrative about who supports who and why. Finding out that the person you're arguing with has had their opinion informed by the perspective and writing of a POC also suddenly puts some folks on the back foot due to the way they had previously been arguing.

I've seen that article be the cause of this so many loving times.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Oh Snapple! posted:

Essentially it boils down to being the same thing that happens whenever someone offers a differing minority perspective that goes against the centrist grain: It gets completely ignored, because it's extremely important to maintain a particular narrative about who supports who and why. Finding out that the person you're arguing with has had their opinion informed by the perspective and writing of a POC also suddenly puts some folks on the back foot due to the way they had previously been arguing.

TL:DR

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Business Gorillas posted:

Equating people that don't want to be strangled by debt if they get sick or go to school to the death cult currently burning the govt down will never not be funny to me

got any sevens posted:

I knew this guy was a trickle-down POS back when he was running for mayor. Wish we'd kept McGinn.

look at these fools who didn't read beyond the headline

shameful

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

im familiar with the article i am just curious how milquetoast dnd posters are reckoning with it and if theyre rethinking things at all (it sounds like no)

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

no im familiar with the article i am just curious how milquetoast dnd posters are reckoning with it

oh the person it was posted to disappeared until the thread had veered into a different direction a day later

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I will never regret riding his rear end over this every chance I got.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

oh the person it was posted to disappeared until the thread had veered into a different direction a day later

much like hillary

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

much like hillary

extremely apt in this case

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

I wonder where Zoux is now.

He was so, completely, utterly into Hillary and the 2016 Dems :allears:

I wish I could see a video of his face on election night :allears:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

I wonder where Zoux is now.

He was so, completely, utterly into Hillary and the 2016 Dems :allears:

I wish I could see a video of his face on election night :allears:

tbf i think a family member of his has cancer and he's just mostly chillposting nowadays about comics n' poo poo.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

mormonpartyboat posted:

maybe if the citizens..............united??????

I'm sure Feinstein, an incumbent with universal name recognition, will agree to a pact for both candidates to spend nothing on the race.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Oh Snapple! posted:

tbf i think a family member of his has cancer and he's just mostly chillposting nowadays about comics n' poo poo.

I'm happy to hear he's not like Dulchrum or J Clay and tripled down on their abuelas awfulness

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Main Paineframe posted:

look at these fools who didn't read beyond the headline

shameful

This article would be really good if it wasn't Ed "New Youth Jail" Murray

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

primary every dem at all times possible. so many things recently have proven they only take their jobs seriously when they're in danger. take for an example, dems suddenly giving a gently caress about the brutal dictatorship in egypt. the one they helped install and maintain and were perfectly fine with until trump got elected.

i'm feeling more and more sympathy recently for the people who insist on voting against the party in power

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

Could I get a link, I love drama

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

loquacius posted:

Could I get a link, I love drama

I don't like providing direct links to this stuff since it makes it way too easy to start a silly dogpile, which is why I don't generally carry over names and such when I bring material over here. It's pretty easy to guess the thread tho.

Involves the source of this gem from a few months back tho

quote:

I also hate using that, because for many people, Hillary Clinton was their candidate. It wasn't about lesser evil for them. If I would have had to vote for Bernie Sanders, it would have been supporting the "lesser evil"

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

That quote still loving kills me.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Clicked for a while through the thread which I'm guessing you were talking about; wasn't able to find the link but I was able to find a bunch of Fulchrum posts

I de-ignored Fulchrum when I actually thought we were going to unite post-election; man was that ever a bad idea

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
:siren: :frogsiren: BULLOCK BULLOCK BULLOCK :frogsiren: :siren:

Bullock profile up at The American Prospect

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Joke's on them. That's not a vagina :q:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://twitter.com/cmclymer/status/848662678319116290

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

this only works if you're competent, and hillary is not

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

GalacticAcid posted:

:siren: :frogsiren: BULLOCK BULLOCK BULLOCK :frogsiren: :siren:

Bullock profile up at The American Prospect

steve bullock fact:

this is his favorite bar

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This strategy really would have solidified the "Harry Potter Fanfiction Author" vote, which was a key target demo the campaign completely missed

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

this only works if you're competent, and hillary is not

when was the last time hillary clinton saved anyone, from anything

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
gina raimondo saved me

twice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik_mNEv-AAk

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
saved me from the hellish existence of life

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

"DEPLORABOLOCUS!"

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
bill clinton, in a thong,

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

steve bullock fact:

this is his favorite bar

looks like my type of establishment

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

freckle posted:

bernie sanders has several large adult penises.

and each one is my friend.

i heard that motherfucker had, like, thirty goddamned dicks.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol @ everything

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/848857910297980928

Nonsense has issued a correction as of 20:56 on Apr 3, 2017

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Nonsense posted:

lol @ everything

Donald J. Trump ✔@realDonaldTrump
Did Hillary Clinton ever apologize for receiving the answers to the debate? Just asking!

Dropped the "crooked" hillary nickname? Sad!

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i knew she got the questions, never guessed she'd get the answers too

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

Oh Snapple! posted:

I've seen that article be the cause of this so many loving times.

like how Cornel West of all people was called an uncle tom for backing Bernie and then not backing Hillary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

i knew she got the questions, never guessed she'd get the answers too

maybe it's Jeopardy

• Locked thread