Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm giving out about 35 XP a sesh which feels high but we only meet 1-2 times a month and I want them to feel like their mans are getting more powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Thoughts on the early days of the rebellion, pre-BBY periods of play etc.

(crossposted from elsewhere for more discussion/ideas)

Firstly, i'm specifically looking at the early days of the rebellion, prior to the Battle of Yavin and the start of the Galactic Civil War (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Galactic_Civil_War).

Star Wars Rebels and Rogue 1 offer a lot of insight here, and I believe but haven't read it yet, that there's more in the Tarkin and Ahsoka novelisations (?).

After the delegation of 2000 (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Delegation_of_2000) and the Battle of Kashyyk, assorted planets were in a greater or lesser extent of opposition to the Emperor and the newly formed Imperial Senate. Mon Calamari, Ryloth, Alderaan etc. are prominently named planets involved in the early days of formenting rebellion.

The early expansion of the Empire with the Reconquest of the Rim and assorted military campaigns led to the Empire's military, vast as it is, becoming more stretched and coincidentally creating more resentment and opposition.

The early days of resistance (19 BBY through to say 5-6 BBY) is probably (?) made up of planets chafing under rule, or small individual groups standing up for alien rights, or less control over their planet, labour forces etc. Some degree of propaganda being done, low-key and small scale uprisings, anything getting too large or noticeable being crushed (as per Kashykk, Salient system etc.)

Over time the number of these 'terrorists' increases, some of them remain primarily violent, just seeking to attack and cause damage, others are driven to act with more of a goal of liberty and freedom. And some start with the latter but overtime become more and more driven towards the former (Saw Gerrera's Partisans).

As Mon Mothma and other notable figures who would come to make up the leadership of the Rebel Alliance began to become more organised, they'd seek out those 'troublemakers/terrorists' and deliver them such intelligence as they could to direct their efforts (intelligence messages from Fulcrim a la Ahsoka and Cassian for example).

Around 5BBY is when it appears, per Rebels and other sources that the disparate groups of resistance began to become more organised or more cohesive at least, building up to 3BBY when the Rebellion has military ranks, commanders, areas of responsibility etc.

Mon Mothma writes and delivers the Declaration of Rebellion bringing the 'terrorists' into a new light and challenging Imperial Propaganda. Some worlds rise up (and are crushed), some increase campaigns of opposition. The rebellion starts to gain a larger fleet. Somewhere around here Mon Cal cruisers are being fitted for warfare and the rebellion gains a bunch of Nebulon B frigates. Based on Rogue 1, however, at this point the Rebellion is still primarily disparate groups who have different ideologies and no cohesive will and direction. All that being about to change.

Then culminating in the battle of Scarif in 0BBY and then the 4 year open civil war leading to Endor and the death of the Emperor.

It seems, therefore, as if the period is pretty short, with the chance to explore very early resistance against the empire, or the conquest of planets and sectors, leading to the Empire seeming more established, the re-writing history of the Jedi etc. (Who in a generation have gone from a major power to being an ancient and kooky religion) and then the cell-structure rebellion of Rebels through to the destruction of the Death Star and open warfare.

For me, running an Age of Rebellion game pre-Yavin has a more player-empowered feel than the more organised military actions likely to be taking place after BBY. Copying Rebels formula of starting small and building the stage as the players succeed (or fail). Albeit it does raise the question of 'just how does one bring planets into opposition, what do you do to weaken the Imperial grip on a sector etc.).

Obviously historic resistances to oppression and rebellions are notable inspirations, so we have intelligence gathering, propaganda and recruitment, attacks on logistics and supplies (or stealing them) - all the things seen in Rebels, albeit Rebels is deliberately right in the thick of things, with film tie-ins and heavy involvement in the development of the rebellion (and there's nothing wrong with stealing that and just doing a parallel campaign where your players are the ones getting the Hammerheads, or being hunted by Tarkin and Vader directly etc.)

I'd love to hear some other thoughts on the above and how other people see this period of Star Wars history, together with ideas for early Rebellion campaigns and adventures.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

All that sounds pretty much correct, yep.

In my view any sort of Rebel campaign should begin at session zero, where the group decides what kind of Rebels they want to be. Are they the Mon Mothma/mainstream Rebels who are committed to a democratic ideal (or, at least, a non-totalitarian one), are they just criminal opportunists who are hitching onto the Rebellion to make a quick buck, are they Separatists who just never stopped fighting the Clone Wars, are they ideological extremists or anarchists who would be rebelling against the galactic authority regardless of the form it takes? Are they minutemen, or are they terrorists?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Drone posted:

Are they minutemen, or are they terrorists?

Well, from a Certain Point of View...

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Well, from a Certain Point of View...

*Learn About The Force musical cue*

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

kingcom posted:

Yeah thats definitely a lot more fun to play with from a player standpoint. It means death troopers are going to be dumping penalty dice on people and more likely to drop a crit than just taking you out of the fight straight away. Plus its hard to stack penalty dice on them because they're elite troopers who dont need no man. Boosting perception is good though.

According to the Star Wars Rogue One Visual Guide, the Deathtrooper armor isn't just designed to be visually stealthy, but actually fucks with attempts to find them on sensors. After I add in the other changes, how do I incorporate that? Add a Setback to attempts to find them with computers?

HidaO-Win posted:

The only mechanism for consistently making combat less brutal are the Parry and Deflect talents in Force and Destiny. That or play a high Brawn character. Cover does little, adding Black or Red dice helps but they are very unpredictable in effect and adding large amounts is difficult.

Offense also scales a lot faster than defense so the game becomes rocket tag fairly quickly.

I'm 1300 exp into a Gand Findsman with Force Powers and a focus on ranged combat. I opened up on a group of experienced Storm Troopers recently. My pool was IIRC 4 yellow, 2 green, 3 force, 5 blue versus 2 red and 2 purple (I removed a bunch of black with talents). think I hit 5 times with my pool doing 26 damage, 21 damage, 21 damage, 21 damage and 21 damage. No character can take damage like that.

The only good news is you are unlikely to die, but crits resulting in limb replacement can be pretty common.

It was particularly a problem in Starship combat where your ships get crippled incredibly fast. We switched over the Emperor Norton's starship combat rules, where shields become soak like Parry and Deflect fuelled by your ships strain. I suppose you could mod rules where in cover you can use an option like Deflect where you take some strain to reduce the damage by the quality of the cover.

They're actually aware of this issue, somewhat. There is an order 66 podcast with a developer who did a stress test of the game where everyone played a member of the Jedi council. The idea was to see how much XP it would create to make one and how they would be in play and the results were as you described. They were extremely powerful, but a good hit could take them out. For better or worse, they considered that accurate to the films, IIRC, and felt that, at the same time, it took so much XP that this issue would only crop up severly after literal years of playing which was, to them, an edge case that was acceptable.

Not saying you can't fix it, but saying that, oddly, they think its fine like that.

Edit: Thinking about it more, it isn't that uncommon of a thought in TRPG. A part of me can't blame them for going "it takes like 4-5 years for this really to become a problem so it isn't a game breaking bug", but, on the other hand, it is strange to notice the problem and not fix it in some way. Though, I guess its perspective and how you run it. The playtest sounded like they were set up against appropriate opposition for the NARRATIVE, not their LEVEL. So, it sounded like they were fighting horders of B2 battle droids and junk and not like mirror made battles who could go toe-to-toe with so I guess, in that context, going "even fighting hordes of lesser foes will still occasionally challenge god-tier characters due to crits" is a fair observation. Then again, I think they might have had gone against some mirrior made baddie at some point, but I can't remember what they said.

Would really help if I remember the episode of the podcast. There are only so many interviews with devs for Order 66 and this was one specifically for Force and Destiny, if anyone wants to look for I as I don't really have time.

Covok fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 27, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I don't have my rulebook to hand at the moment, but isn't there some option listed somewhere to integrate some sort of 40k RPG-style fate system, where you can basically get a finite "pop this fate point and you can avoid certain death" resource? I remember there being something written somewhere about being able to somehow use destiny points in such a way.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

My biggest complaint about the FFG system is that it takes so much XP to be an effective Force user.
Yes, I get that it's to keep them from overshadowing the other characters. That doesn't make it any less frustrating.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

8one6 posted:

My biggest complaint about the FFG system is that it takes so much XP to be an effective Force user.
Yes, I get that it's to keep them from overshadowing the other characters. That doesn't make it any less frustrating.

That's pretty much exactly why they instituted Knight-level play in F&D.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Alright, I think this is the last version I'm going to do for now. If you plan on using Deathtroopers in your game, this might be useful to you.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Would lightning storms be something plausible on a desert planet like Tattooine, perhaps in conjunction with a dust storm? I want to make the PC's exit from Mos Shuuta a bit more dramatic and put them on a time limit to see what they come up with. An approaching dust storm will make them want to get out in a hurry, risk flying through, or getting stuck on planet. Some lightning and thunder would just add to the ambience.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Dust storms can absolutely cause lightning.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Yeah, there's tons of static in big dust storms.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Cool. They may have to decide between flying through the static-y dust storm or take on the TIE Fighters that are launching.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Would lightning storms be something plausible on a desert planet like Tattooine, perhaps in conjunction with a dust storm? I want to make the PC's exit from Mos Shuuta a bit more dramatic and put them on a time limit to see what they come up with. An approaching dust storm will make them want to get out in a hurry, risk flying through, or getting stuck on planet. Some lightning and thunder would just add to the ambience.

Things that have lightning that you wouldn't expect:

Dust storms!

Snow storms!

Volcanic Eruptions!!!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Old Evil Dudes!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

kingcom posted:

Old Evil Dudes!

Checks out.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
If you don't play the "Storm" soundtrack from Mad Max Fury Road when you'll do it, you are a monster.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Iceclaw posted:

If you don't play the "Storm" soundtrack from Mad Max Fury Road when you'll do it, you are a monster.

I suggest an alternative strategy, Artoo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqLArgCbh70

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
I've had a player ask a question I have not yet found an answer to.

What does a "force talent" (the ones with a starburst on them) mean? What difference is there mechanically with them?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Darius099 posted:

What does a "force talent" (the ones with a starburst on them) mean? What difference is there mechanically with them?

It's a force power. It's the same as any other declared talent, it's just that you need to roll force dice for them and your success will gauge heavily on your force rating.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Darius099 posted:

Two things:
1) Narratively, when using the effects of a Force talent, you are calling on the force and Inquisitors and others hunting force users will notice.
2) You must have the ability to use the Force (you may even need a Force Rating, but I'm not sure) to call on the effect. So, Droids can never take Force talents. Droids could, theoretically take a Jedi specialization and buy every talent in a tree, but the Force talents would be wasted on them and they would not be able to use them.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Edit: better answers above me.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
Sweet, thanks guys. Funnily enough I found the stuff in the force chapter that I had somehow overlooked about the same time I saw the super helpful posts!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I shat out some alternate Everyone Is John rules in five minutes. Sure you could just use a six sided but where's the fun in that when you have EotE dice?

quote:

Everyone Is A Jawa

Roll one green and one purple for any roll, or a yellow and purple for a skill.

Any player can flip a dark side point they have to increase the purple to a red or add another purple, or flip a light side they have to add a green or change a green to yellow. This includes the roll for control. When a dice is changed this way, it cannot be modified further.

Uncanceled advantage and threat are turned into boost and setback dice, respectively, which can be added to any roll, including a roll for control.

Willpower points are the destiny tokens. Players put their starting tokens in hand, shake them and drop them on the table to determine which side they start on.

When rolling for control, everyone rolls one green and one purple, plus any modifiers or extra dice. The player with the most amount of successes gains control; advantages are a tie breaker. Roll again for a further tie.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 1, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

What is everyone's feeling on Dark Siders?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Covok posted:

What is everyone's feeling on Dark Siders?

I liked the first one but couldn't really get into the second. Has there been any news on the guys that bought the license reviving the series?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Machai posted:

I liked the first one but couldn't really get into the second. Has there been any news on the guys that bought the license reviving the series?

Meant more "force users who use the dark side." Playing one in a game.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Covok posted:

I feel about playing Evil Bad Guys in The Star Wars about like I do in any form of pulpy/fantasy style roleplaying: Maybe entertaining for a oneshot/miniseries, but I'd prefer my default campaign mode be Good Guys motivated by something resembling benevolent ends.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I feel about playing Evil Bad Guys in The Star Wars about like I do in any form of pulpy/fantasy style roleplaying: Maybe entertaining for a oneshot/miniseries, but I'd prefer my default campaign mode be Good Guys motivated by something resembling benevolent ends.

The character isn't a bad guy. He's a former Hutt pitt slave forced to battle in gladiatorial arenas until he could earn his freedom. He was so since he was four years old and learned to connect to the force through fear and angier. Being a zabrak doesn't help. He even tried to help people when he was a slave, but that just meant he had to fight them at risk of death in an effort to break him. He has a tough love standpoint: he doesn't want to hurt people, he wants to help people, but he's convinced that you can't just help people, you have to teach them to help themselves. Tough love, so to speak.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Mechanically, Light Side/Dark Side are weird. It should be that the Dark side is harder to tap into, but provides more power (force points) than light side. However, it's opposite: 7/12 of Force die have dark side pips but theres only 1 double, while only 5 faces have light side pips but there are two doubles. This feels opposite to how the distribution should be, especially for a game where most people play light siders. It's hard to get above force rating 2 in a campaign, and having a 58% to 33% chance of failing any force power check kinda sucks as a Light sider (especially when it's 42%/18% for Dark Siders)

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I always wanted a mechanic where you could, as a light side user, utilize a dark side point but at a cost.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Elendil004 posted:

I always wanted a mechanic where you could, as a light side user, utilize a dark side point but at a cost.

maybe something like flipping a destiny point and accruing conflict??

Covok
May 27, 2013

nothing to seehere posted:

Mechanically, Light Side/Dark Side are weird. It should be that the Dark side is harder to tap into, but provides more power (force points) than light side. However, it's opposite: 7/12 of Force die have dark side pips but theres only 1 double, while only 5 faces have light side pips but there are two doubles. This feels opposite to how the distribution should be, especially for a game where most people play light siders. It's hard to get above force rating 2 in a campaign, and having a 58% to 33% chance of failing any force power check kinda sucks as a Light sider (especially when it's 42%/18% for Dark Siders)

I always took it being based on the line that the dark side is the "quick and easy path to power."

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

nothing to seehere posted:

Going per the OT, that'd be quite the opposite, actually. The Dark Side is quicker, seems easier, taster sweeter, but ultimately consumes you. So, the Dark Side being easier to use make sense, but should have repercussions.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Covok posted:

I'd probably just play one who is more liberal with using dark side pips to be honest. A straight up dark side force user is actually a bit of a burden on the group because they auto-flip destiny points at the start of every session (assuming you use the Force and Destiny rules).

Covok
May 27, 2013

kingcom posted:

I'd probably just play one who is more liberal with using dark side pips to be honest. A straight up dark side force user is actually a bit of a burden on the group because they auto-flip destiny points at the start of every session (assuming you use the Force and Destiny rules).

A good GM will give it back quickly. :grin:

Also, canon or Legends?

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
90% of handling a Dark Side user is making sure the player's intentions are clear. Often times being a Dark Side user is telegraphing a redemption arc and knowing that allows the GM to handle that player's interaction with the Force in a specific way.

Mechanically the Dark Side works well enough to be felt without being so intrusive that it effectively hijacks the plot. Most of its effects are often narrative. The only problem I can see is a player determined to wearing increasing amounts of black eye shadow and unwilling to deal with the in-character party fallout of being a psychopath constantly bringing bad vibes.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Question and advice--

I'm building a Force and Destiny character this weekend, for my first FFG SW RPG game. I've picked up that buying characteristics is good way to go with all my starting XP because it's really the only chance I'll get, so that's what I'll do, worrying about skills later. The concept is a Twi'lek freedom fighter, sort of generic rebel "liberator of the people" thing. I was leaning toward Peacekeeper to start, but don't know where to go after, and which 3-4 characteristics I should invest in at character creation. Any advice on specs and builds would be appreciated, as I don't see a lot of character optimization material for FFG SW around the internet. Priorities are Lightsaber, Light guns, leadership of some sort, guerilla tactics? How does that play out best mechanically?

Concerning the universal specs from EotE and AoR, Emergent and Exile: Am I correct in assuming that I can just dip into them for a +1 Force Rating and then ignore them the rest of the way? Is that a fair way to spend XP if I want to get to 3-4 Force? Or am I crapping on myself by upping the cost of future careers needlessly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

WerrWaaa posted:

Concerning the universal specs from EotE and AoR, Emergent and Exile: Am I correct in assuming that I can just dip into them for a +1 Force Rating and then ignore them the rest of the way? Is that a fair way to spend XP if I want to get to 3-4 Force? Or am I crapping on myself by upping the cost of future careers needlessly?

There is a proviso that says either (I don't have the books in front of me) you can't take the specializations if you already have an FR, or you don't get the FR for taking the specialization if you already have an FR. Pretty sure it's the former. Either way, there's no quick and easy path to upping FR without buying down a tree.