Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Radiohead71 posted:

Can you elaborate please?
I would guess they probably hoon the poo poo outta their cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I would guess they probably hoon the poo poo outta their cars.

Yeah, I'd sooner buy a GTI with a few thousand miles on it than just a few hundred. Sounds like it may have been ridden hard.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I dunno if I posted about ti but my buddy let me drive his Cobb tuned FIesta ST. Lighted modded, stock turbo and holy hell was that a fun car. I'm leaning towards replacing the MS^ and the Miata with one more and more.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Radiohead71 posted:

Can you elaborate please?

I assume it comes from VWGoA's corporate fleet pool, based on your description. Nobody is nice to those cars, especially if you're just grabbing the keys to a GTI for the weekend.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Either that or it's a press car.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
The auto business is just so chuck full of schemes it's funny. It seems like the big city dealers, all the way down to the shady buy-here pay-here used car lots have some kind of racket going.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I assume it comes from VWGoA's corporate fleet pool, based on your description. Nobody is nice to those cars, especially if you're just grabbing the keys to a GTI for the weekend.

Thanks I appreciate it. I feel good about having 4 full years of warranty with the CPO program. I'll drive it tomorrow and pass if it seems ratty. I guess you roll the dice a little any time you buy a used.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Radiohead71 posted:

Thanks I appreciate it. I feel good about having 4 full years of warranty with the CPO program. I'll drive it tomorrow and pass if it seems ratty. I guess you roll the dice a little any time you buy a used.

I mean you're probably going to have to replace the mechatronix unit for the DSG but that's fairly common anyway and it usually gets covered.

The thing is, you can't tell the car's been beaten on over 1,000 miles via a test drive. Anyway, if you're comfortable, go for it!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

TheWevel posted:

Either that or it's a press car.

yeah which is worse if anything

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah which is worse if anything

I just checked at my local VW dealer. They told me it was a Volkswagen rep car, not a press or test car. Sounds like a VW people drove it for a year and then they sold at auction.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I would say you should just enjoy your car instead of driving yourself crazy imagining how people might have abused it.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Pierce motorsports ran at Willow Swpings yesterday. Is a hot hatch track day that started for velosters and now does any hatch pretty much. Give's a good idea where modified Velsoter Turbo's are sitting. Unlimited will most likely have turbo's with different turbines, modified is going to be tuned, bolt ons, and suspension, and street should be mostly stock.

http://www.pacifichothatchseries.com/results.html

quote:

​​​​​Results!
Round #1- Willow Springs International Raceway
UNLIMITED CLASS
1st Josh Sadler-Hyundai Veloster Turbo *1:38.301
2nd Johnny Porto- Hyundai Veloster Turbo 1:41.660
3rd Holland Hewson- VW Gulf R 1:43.818
4th Lewis Hykes- Ford Focus ST 1:46.787
MODIFIED CLASS
1st AJ Fernandez- Mini Cooper 1:39.104
2nd Steve Steck- Ford Fiesta ST 1:46.503
3rd Angela Brunson- Hyundai Veloster Turbo 1:59.764
STREET CLASS
1st Steve Kreucberger- Hyundai Veloster Turbo 1:48.196
2nd Arlene Morales- Hyundai Veloster Turbo 1:51.445
3rd Eli Villa- Kia Rio DNS Mechanical
EXHIBITION CLASS
1st Jim Pierce- Volvo 850R Wagon 1:32.505

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I've put close to 200 miles on my Golf R and I love it so far.

Thanks for the great insight, thread. It's a ton of fun to drive.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Got a bubble in my driver side front tire. Tires have 6500~ miles on them, and seem to have a decent amount of tread left. Should I just order a replacement from tirerack and have them shave it down to match tread depth? Owners manual says the RS doesn't care about mismatched tread but will it matter for auto-x and the track? I will probably replace them at the end of the season if I go this way. Or I could just get some PS4S now.

Kind of unhappy with the 19" wheels right now.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Would your tire warranty cover it? I'm thinking about moving to 17's on my veloster and being able to run 45's. Low profiles don't work with Louisianas road infrastructure.

Nice pickup on the Golf R. If I had the money that would be my choice for a car to drive all the time and not need to do more than chip.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Christobevii3 posted:

Would your tire warranty cover it? I'm thinking about moving to 17's on my veloster and being able to run 45's. Low profiles don't work with Louisianas road infrastructure.

235/35/19s come stock on the RS, and it's absolutely terrifying on Detroit roads.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I would say you should just enjoy your car instead of driving yourself crazy imagining how people might have abused it.

I agree. And whatever you do don't post what you end up paying for it. No matter how low, the hive mind will be quick to point out how badly you got swindled.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
The Golf R is incredible, but when I was looking to replace my 2010 GTI with something a little newer last year I found it very tough to justify paying MSRP for the R especially when Mk7 GTIs were being sold with so much money on the hood. It was even tougher to justify when I saw what I could get in that price range 1-2 years used (although that's never a very fair comparison).

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

The Golf R is incredible, but when I was looking to replace my 2010 GTI with something a little newer last year I found it very tough to justify paying MSRP for the R especially when Mk7 GTIs were being sold with so much money on the hood. It was even tougher to justify when I saw what I could get in that price range 1-2 years used (although that's never a very fair comparison).

This was me exactly. 6k off a GTI or MSRP on an R. It didn't feel worth that much more.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

No wheel and tire insurance here, unfortunately. Think I'm just going to replace the tire, and replace all 4 at the end of the season like I planned.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

ihop posted:

I agree. And whatever you do don't post what you end up paying for it. No matter how low, the hive mind will be quick to point out how badly you got swindled.

I can no longer look at the house buying thread for this exact reason.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KidDynamite posted:

No wheel and tire insurance here, unfortunately. Think I'm just going to replace the tire, and replace all 4 at the end of the season like I planned.

A bubble is usually considered a defect. Ask before you spend money on a new tire.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I've put close to 200 miles on my Golf R and I love it so far.

Thanks for the great insight, thread. It's a ton of fun to drive.

OK I was driving it like a jackass last night on windy roads home through the rain and now I REALLY love it. Like, it's a fine car to drive normally, but when you really open it up and drive like an rear end in a top hat it becomes SO much more electric.

What do you mean "chip" it?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

OK I was driving it like a jackass last night on windy roads home through the rain and now I REALLY love it. Like, it's a fine car to drive normally, but when you really open it up and drive like an rear end in a top hat it becomes SO much more electric.

You can reprogram the ECU for more power / higher emissions / better throttle response / whatever.

Is it really that much better than a GTI? Whenever I've driven one I've not felt that it's worth $10K over a GTI. It is the "mature" option, though. I think I'm getting too old for a FoRS.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Wait til you get to play with it in the snow :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You can reprogram the ECU for more power / higher emissions / better throttle response / whatever.

Is it really that much better than a GTI? Whenever I've driven one I've not felt that it's worth $10K over a GTI. It is the "mature" option, though. I think I'm getting too old for a FoRS.

Find the post where Muffinpox reviews one.

Short answer: no

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The R is definitely better than the GTI but the cost is too much vs. how much better. And yeah the R is the most adult hot hatch, even more so than the GTI with it's red lines.
My R treated me perfectly in the 3 years I had it but now it's gone I don't miss it at all.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I can't be driving some riced out bright red caliper having GTI, sorry /sarcasm

Although I did feel I needed AWD. I don't have any regrets.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
How much are new Fiesta ST's going for? How about used and not beat to poo poo? Is there a cutoff year that is important?

I would be buying a commuter and probably do stupid unnecessary poo poo to it but not go crazy.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I can't be driving some riced out bright red caliper having GTI, sorry /sarcasm

Although I did feel I needed AWD. I don't have any regrets.

those red calipers are good for 5bhp, yo :rice:

But I feel you. Part of the reason I went GTI instead of FoST is the boy racer look of the Ford, even though it's not TOO bad.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I just realized the guys doing the fiesta RPF1 group buy are located a few miles from me. Whelp guess I'm getting some 16x7 RPF1s. Considering some obnoxious powder coat options too, maybe highlighter yellow to go with my platinum white.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

How much are new Fiesta ST's going for? How about used and not beat to poo poo? Is there a cutoff year that is important?

I would be buying a commuter and probably do stupid unnecessary poo poo to it but not go crazy.

I got a '15 FiST with only 12k miles on it back in November for 16 grand, and apparently that's not even that great of a deal. The resale on FiSTs is God awful, so I wouldn't recommend buying new.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PaintVagrant posted:

I just realized the guys doing the fiesta RPF1 group buy are located a few miles from me. Whelp guess I'm getting some 16x7 RPF1s. Considering some obnoxious powder coat options too, maybe highlighter yellow to go with my platinum white.

Bronze is the correct answer

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Rape Stink posted:

I got a '15 FiST with only 12k miles on it back in November for 16 grand, and apparently that's not even that great of a deal. The resale on FiSTs is God awful, so I wouldn't recommend buying new.

I second this. My trade in value on a FiST that I bought January 2015 new for $19,600 (utilized a couple of incentives there) is now $14,000 on kbb (so at a dealer it will be even lower) with about 30,000 miles on it.

Buy a used one.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Awesome, thanks guys.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

They hold up pretty well from what I see in craigslist. Haven't seen any below $16k. I've seen 2013 abarths with 13k miles for $9-10k recently and there is a Veloster Turbo in Dallas with 7k miles 2015 for $13750, offer him $12.5k and you'd probably get it.

http://www.velosterturbo.org/forum/sale/22777-modified-2015-veloster-turbo-r-spec-sale-6-447-miles-13750-irving-tx.html

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

MY2016 brought Sync 3, which is definitely nicer to use than MyFordTouch but isn't really enough to be worth seeking out unless Android Auto or CarPlay are high on your priority list.

Other than that and a few changes to the color lineup they're all the same.

As far as reliability goes the stock cars seem to be relatively indestructible. Even bolt-ons seem to be pretty safe. If you go big turbo or otherwise make significantly more than stock power the transmission seems to be the "fuse" that'll go first.

I'd be comfortable with a used one with a good PPI. They're simple cars, there's not much room to hide problems.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 5, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's a '16 FiST with 32K miles on it for $16K locally. I believe it's fully loaded too. There's a '13 with 60K on the clock for $12K as well.

They keep calling my name.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

those red calipers are good for 5bhp, yo :rice:

But I feel you. Part of the reason I went GTI instead of FoST is the boy racer look of the Ford, even though it's not TOO bad.

Interesting, I felt that the FoST looks pretty tame. There's two small red badges, the bigger grille, and the center mount exhaust. The wheels on GTIs since the 4th gen have always looked like complete trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I think the GTI looks a little too round and understated for what it is. At least they seem to have gotten rid of the horseshoe rims.

FoST feels just right to me- looks pretty sane n' stealthy in anything but the yellow paint. Just a teeeeny bit of edge to it compared to a regular Focus.