Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
The Nes classic settled that argument imo, if it wasn't settled long before then. You could get a lot more games and other functionality for less cash if you bought a RPi and a cheap controller and pirated stuff, yet the dumb Nes box sold like crazy because it made people want to pay for and own it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Conversely it convinced me to never buy Nintendo's emulations again because they get worse with every effort and I still loving have carts what am I doing buying these.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Takoluka posted:

Yeah, Cave Story+ is currently $15 on Steam, not on sale. Unless there's something seriously different and special about it (extra features?), I'm not sure charging double is going to be worth it.

It's a necessary part of the "people don't buy third party games on Nintendo systems" cycle. Third party overprices a game that has been on every other system for years, no one buys it, they don't make more games.

Also I was shocked at Binding of Isaac being $40. Went in to buy it and then ran away from the price tag. Hopefully it gets a nice sale some day. I would like to own it on the Switch so I can play in bed, but I've already bought it on multiple systems.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Phantasium posted:

Conversely it convinced me to never buy Nintendo's emulations again because they get worse with every effort and I still loving have carts what am I doing buying these.

What the hell are you even talking about. The emulation quality was like the top selling point

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

What the hell are you even talking about. The emulation quality was like the top selling point

The muted colors, the audio lag, the audio gently caress ups?

ffs, you hear Simon Belmont swing the whip after the animation plays.

The death sound effect in loving Mario 1 is hosed up.

edit: I get less lag taking an NES through a scaler, then through a cheapo input switch and through to the TV than an NES classic just via HDMI.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 3, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Phantasium posted:

That's the WiiU versions.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

my buddy Superfly posted:

If I catch ANYONE stealing or pirating amiibos I will kill them ON THE SPOT. This is your FINAL warning.

Now before you draw your katana, remember that Switch owners have had a lot of practice parrying in 1 2 Switch.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

parallelodad posted:

That's the WiiU versions.

And the NES Classic is worse.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Phantasium posted:

The bright colors were like what every reviewer pointed out as a positive. You're sure someone but you saw them as "muted" as well? Because they're a pretty big step up from virtual console.

I haven't noticed any audio lag but eh, I'm not spergy about that kinda stuff so who knows

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
There's very large amount of people who don't care to look into emulation at all, much less setting up a RPi emu station, and that's who was buying NES Classics.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

HyperPuma posted:

cool. more piracy talk

what is it with this thread

Personally I prefer the vba for smw gameplay

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah you can go on YouTube and see side by side comparisons it is night and day how much better the NES classic ones look and sound.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Phantasium posted:

And the NES Classic is worse.

From the engadget review:

Maybe you should like, buy a silver plated HDMI cable or something

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

HyperPuma posted:

cool. more piracy talk

what is it with this thread

:chloe:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Intel&Sebastian posted:

There's very large amount of people who don't care to look into emulation at all, much less setting up a RPi emu station, and that's who was buying NES Classics.

And lots of people like me who are bored with the thought of building yet another bloated emulation box and like the look of the tiny dumb nes thingy

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The bright colors were like what every reviewer pointed out as a positive. You're sure someone but you saw them as "muted" as well? Because they're a pretty big step up from virtual console.

Yes, I immediately compared it to my actual NES when I saw how dull the colors were in Castlevania. They're significantly duller than the actual game. Maybe they're better than the Wii U's emulation but it was disappointing regardless.

Like I didn't make a point to point comparison on every game but that was enough to convince me not to care about the NES Classic anymore.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ty goons for charger talk :tipshat: I went ahead and got

Also switches are back in stock at gamestop, saw a full shelf

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I don't think Has-Been Heroes has been getting a fair shake.

I picked it up on a whim over the weekend after hearing that the devs day-one patched in the most requested feature; I'm willing to support developers that are willing to stand behind their product. And about five hours into it I'm delighted.

The majority of the complaints I've seen boil down to:
  • It's too hard.
  • It's too luck-based.
  • The unlocks don't help.
  • The interface is bad.

The first three of those are best addressed by example: Have you played FTL and did you enjoy it? HBH is very similar in the sense that there is no real progression between runs: you unlock more characters (ships) that you can start as and more items / enemies you could potentially encounter, but you don't get any starting benefit from the success of your previously playthroughs. In fact, the game actually gets harder with repeated playthrouhgs. Which is a good thing, because my primary concern with the game at this point is that it is too easy. For reference, I stopped playing FTL because I was able to win too consistently, but if they released a Harder Hard Mode I'd be all over it again.

I actually thought the UI presentation was clever, though it did take some adjusting to. One thing I did like that I suspect others complained about is that the mechanism for selecting heroes, changing lanes and attacking is the same for purchasing items at the shop. This is uncommon (most games have menus), but helps one adjust to this particular game's control style -- every aspect of the game is consistent, if not what you're necessarily used to.

And I think that's the biggest roadblock giving people problems: this game behaves differently than you'd initially expect, but it's internally consistent. The majority of the strategy comes from an arbitrary restriction -- you can't move characters except to swap with a hero immediately after it's acted -- but if you're willing to discard preconceptions and adjust to the internal logic of the game I think you'll be pleasantly rewarded.

tl;dr: Was FTL too easy? Do you like real-time-with-pause where you spend the majority of the time paused? Do you have $20? Watch five minutes of gameplay footage and if you think you might like Has-Been Heroes, you probably will.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

And lots of people like me who are bored with the thought of building yet another bloated emulation box and like the look of the tiny dumb nes thingy

We're in the nintendo thread so I figured dorks with bad excuses for spending money on cute things went without saying.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Phantasium posted:

Yes, I immediately compared it to my actual NES when I saw how dull the colors were in Castlevania. They're significantly duller than the actual game. Maybe they're better than the Wii U's emulation but it was disappointing regardless.

Like I didn't make a point to point comparison on every game but that was enough to convince me not to care about the NES Classic anymore.

No, you stated that the Nes classic was a significant step down from virtual console. In other words this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocGdWRF84Q0&t=80s

lol

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

No, you stated that the Nes classic was a significant step down from virtual console. In other words this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocGdWRF84Q0&t=80s

I was more referring to the sound with that claim, dude, sorry I didn't bulletin each point cogently when airing frustrations with something. I don't remember that much sound lag on the Wii U versions of the games I played.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPMLBI76vCQ&t=145s

Like I get that this just can't compare with your RGB modded beast but I can bet most of us won't die because of those muted colors

:laffo:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Phantasium posted:

I was more referring to the sound with that claim, dude, sorry I didn't bulletin each point cogently when airing frustrations with something. I don't remember that much sound lag on the Wii U versions of the games I played.

Nah I think you'll have lived this down in another couple pages or so so stick around

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Please report all future amiibo piracy talk to Nintendo.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Asnorban posted:

It's a necessary part of the "people don't buy third party games on Nintendo systems" cycle. Third party overprices a game that has been on every other system for years, no one buys it, they don't make more games.

Also I was shocked at Binding of Isaac being $40. Went in to buy it and then ran away from the price tag. Hopefully it gets a nice sale some day. I would like to own it on the Switch so I can play in bed, but I've already bought it on multiple systems.

Binding of Isaac AB+ on Switch is not "shocking" at $40, considering it is $35.97 on Steam, is fully portable, and has the Afterbirth+ update that PS4 still doesn't.

Cave Story+ is different, because while it's basically a "console exclusive," it should not cost literally double the price of the PC version.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

eonwe posted:

hey buddy! the switch owns glady ou are getting one
I wasn't sure at first, the thing that brought me round was the ability to manspread my arms out while gaming. The dream is real!

Didn't Nintendo download a ROM off the internet and sell it?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There's a Gamexplain video that shows NES classic footage immediately followed by footage from an actual NES cart they hooked up, the colors are almost exactly the same, with any difference in the real NES version probably attributable to signal noise from an old composite connection.

The scrolling looked a little different.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nah I think you'll have lived this down in another couple pages or so so stick around

You seem to be the one melting down about it, though?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Phantasium posted:

I think some of that lag can be solved by doing the "game mode" settings on your TV but who knows

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

pippy posted:

Yes

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Seems to me like the price for Cave Story is because they went for a physical release, which doesn't really seem like a sensible move for a rerelease of a 13-year-old indie title.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

pippy posted:

They did, but was it wrong for them to do so?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

pippy posted:

They did a Frank Zappa and in their place I'd have done the same probably

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think some of that lag can be solved by doing the "game mode" settings on your TV but who knows

Already on, I'm aware.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Phantasium posted:

Actually it's you.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Phantasium posted:

Already on, I'm aware.

Well... have you tried moving like 100 meters closer to your TV? Because that distance would also cause some audio lag

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Well... have you tried moving like 100 meters closer to your TV? Because that distance would also cause some audio lag

You don't really have a choice with the NES Classic.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Asnorban posted:

its because nintedo charges higher license fees and cart production costs and requires that physical and digital cost the same

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
if nintendo made super mario world for the switch i wouldnt have to worry about audio lag because the switch has a screen

i could also play multiplayer over the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I was at a baseball game over by right field and every time a batter hit the ball the audio lag was atrocious.

• Locked thread