Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
You three have simulated the American voting system to a frightening level of accuracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I remember 7th grade me in central Georgia, still firmly indoctrinated in Rush Limbaugh and O'Reilly from my parents, talking politics with a friend of mine. He voted Democrat because his racist grandfather did, solely on "which party hates minorities more".

I tried to convince him the Republicans hated minorities more and so he should vote for Bush.

It's me. I'm the worst leftist.

redneck nazgul fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 3, 2017

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Senate very likely to go nuclear on Gorsuch, but at least Democrats rediscovered their spines in the process: https://twitter.com/edatpost/status/848948129542144000

Noted shitfuck governor Sam Brownback vetoed medicaid expansion in Kansas and the State Congress couldn't override the veto: https://twitter.com/AP/status/848942060677804035

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

facialimpediment posted:

Senate very likely to go nuclear on Gorsuch, but at least Democrats rediscovered their spines in the process: https://twitter.com/edatpost/status/848948129542144000

I'm unconvinced that losing the bad press for the nuclear option now is a good idea. Gorsuch is conservative, sure. But he's qualified, not a raving ideologue, and probably the best and most moderate pick you could expect from the Republicans. It makes more sense to filibuster a judge who's either unqualified or a judge who is simply far too conservative to accept. Gorsuch is neither.

But, as always, saying "gently caress you" to the other team, even if accomplishes nothing and only hurts you down the line, is, as we've just seen, what's politically viable.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm unconvinced that losing the bad press for the nuclear option now is a good idea. Gorsuch is conservative, sure. But he's qualified, not a raving ideologue, and probably the best and most moderate pick you could expect from the Republicans. It makes more sense to filibuster a judge who's either unqualified or a judge who is simply far too conservative to accept. Gorsuch is neither.

But, as always, saying "gently caress you" to the other team, even if accomplishes nothing and only hurts you down the line, is, as we've just seen, what's politically viable.

Either they filibuster this one and the cloture rule gets changed, or they filibuster the next one and the cloture rule gets changed, either way the GOP gets both of their choices in. Meanwhile the more you can derail the trumpster in the early days the less he'll be able to get done in whatever amount of term he does have.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

M_Gargantua posted:

Either they filibuster this one and the cloture rule gets changed, or they filibuster the next one and the cloture rule gets changed, either way the GOP gets both of their choices in. Meanwhile the more you can derail the trumpster in the early days the less he'll be able to get done in whatever amount of term he does have.

Oh he'll absolutely get both of his picks. But the difference is that you can spin the end of the filibuster for a truly unacceptable and outrageous candidate far easier than you can spin the end of the filibuster for one who is merely kinda blandly unappealing.

You make a fair point wrt derailing the Trump machine, but I'm not so sure it's worthwhile.

I mean, it's unquestionably the case that it's probably the best electoral move, since the base is made up of a bunch of whiny babies. But I'm not sure it's the best tactic if you exclude the midterm angle.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Perot chat- I voted for Perot in Middle School because he paid for a bunch of POW rescue attempts, and I thought Uncommon Valor was a documentary.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

Perot chat- I voted for Perot in Middle School because he paid for a bunch of POW rescue attempts, and I thought Uncommon Valor was a documentary.

chuck norris' missing in action series too

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Fun Fact: Bo Gritz never found any POWs because he's a loving con artist, also he's a white supremacist too.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I didn't vote for anyone in middle school, because political engagement is illegal in schools :downs:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I voted for Bush in 2nd grade because his dad had been president when I was born, therefor he had to be good! :downs:

Jesus gently caress you were in second grade when W became president? gently caress I'm old.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mike-o posted:

Jesus gently caress you were in second grade when W became president? gently caress I'm old.

Third grade for me

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
My first election I voted for Perot because I didn't know a loving thing about politics and thought a tycoon would be a good thing for running the country.

lmbo

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Fun Fact: Ross Perot's campaign pollster was Frank Luntz.

Yes, that Frank Luntz.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

The Iron Rose posted:

Oh he'll absolutely get both of his picks. But the difference is that you can spin the end of the filibuster for a truly unacceptable and outrageous candidate far easier than you can spin the end of the filibuster for one who is merely kinda blandly unappealing.

You make a fair point wrt derailing the Trump machine, but I'm not so sure it's worthwhile.

I mean, it's unquestionably the case that it's probably the best electoral move, since the base is made up of a bunch of whiny babies. But I'm not sure it's the best tactic if you exclude the midterm angle.

I do wish they'd drop the arguments about whether he's qualified or not and center more on Garland, it's a much stronger argument to me to say "I don't give a poo poo about your candidate. You never got a chance to filibuster Garland because you flat out refused to even do your constitutional duty. Get hosed"

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I remember going to see Twelfth Night on 9/11 for grade 7. Wasn't that funny imo (the play)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Spicer press conference scheduled to start in 10 minutes

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

bird food bathtub posted:

I do wish they'd drop the arguments about whether he's qualified or not and center more on Garland, it's a much stronger argument to me to say "I don't give a poo poo about your candidate. You never got a chance to filibuster Garland because you flat out refused to even do your constitutional duty. Get hosed"

This. You can make an argument surrounding Garland and make the Republicans look pretty bad and hypocritical around nuking the filibuster (not that looking hypocritical matters to the turtle from kentucky). It's harder to make it stick/look worse at a later appointment.

Gorsuch may be "qualified" but he's also way out there on the right. He's about as close to crazy right conservative as you can get without actually being one. So nuke it now.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

facialimpediment posted:

Noted shitfuck governor Sam Brownback vetoed medicaid expansion in Kansas and the State Congress couldn't override the veto: https://twitter.com/AP/status/848942060677804035

Good. gently caress Kansas and all who live in it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Apparently the Democrats are "going insane" re: filibuster.

Edit: Holy poo poo, Spicer's hanging everything on Trump donating money to the govt.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 3, 2017

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

It's ok, Guys. He gave the Dept. of the Interior his 78k in pay. They'll be fine! :downs:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

How in the sweet fancy gently caress are the Norks producing that much Li6? Getting it from the Russians/Chinese?

But yeah having THAT much of it handy is bad because you can boost the gently caress out of your fission bomb.

I wonder if the Norks would do this to make intel think they had excess lithium

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Godholio posted:

Apparently the Democrats are "going insane" re: filibuster.

Edit: Holy poo poo, Spicer's hanging everything on Trump donating money to the govt.

Good, maybe the resulting rage fit will cause McConnell to stroke out.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Handsome Ralph posted:

It's ok, Guys. He gave the Dept. of the Interior his 78k in pay. They'll be fine! :downs:

It gets better. Donnie can't even donate without loving up.

https://twitter.com/anamariecox/status/848974669629849600

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

It gets better. Donnie can't even donate without loving up.

https://twitter.com/anamariecox/status/848974669629849600

What a philanderer!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sorry, I meant philanthropist. I get those mixed up all the time.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Holy crap Spicer already fled

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Goddamn how did I miss this a year ago :stonk:
https://www.thenation.com/article/hillary-clinton-does-not-deserve-black-peoples-votes/

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
And now they're covering how much that donation is compared to the costs of protecting Donnie at his resorts.

Basically, that donation covers about 1-2 hours of security costs.

https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/848979628438024192

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Mike-o posted:

I feel ya man. When I was in Kindergarten, Reagan was president, and the USSR still existed.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Shaddak posted:

I feel ya man. When I was in Kindergarten, Reagan was president, and the USSR still existed.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Shaddak posted:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Shaddak posted:

I feel ya man. When I was in Kindergarten, <s>Reagan</s> Bush was president, and the USSR still existed.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Shaddak posted:

I feel ya man. When I was in college, Reagan was president, and the USSR still existed.

:corsair:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Shaddak posted:

And yet we're still counted as millenials it aint fair I tells ya

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

some of my first memories are watching bombs dropping on TV during the first iraq war

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
When I was in kinder my mom just came back from desert Storm and we got stationed at kingsville Nas and the pilots were cool and let me play in the simulator while my mom was on duty, and I got lots of stickers and patches.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Ultra Carp
Don't forget that kids born after the year 2000 can vote next year, and are probably posting on this forum right now!

the relentless march of time haunts us all

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I was scared of the Gulf War because I didn't know there was more than one Gulf and thought people were fighting on the beaches of the Gulf of Mexico.

So my mom got out a globe and schooled me.

Then the next day I saw a convoy of military vehicles and some oil refinery blew up and we had to stay inside with the windows closed.

That's when I knew my mom was lying and that SCUDs were being fired 45 minutes down the road :tinfoil:

Kids are dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Reverand maynard posted:

some of my first memories are watching bombs dropping on TV during the first iraq war

They preempted the Fresh Prince for that > : (

• Locked thread