Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I think the Kumoko example mentioned before is different, though, because in that case the names in question are nicknames that explicitly mean Black/White.

The problem is Shiro's name is actually Shiro.

And, yeah, I have no clue whatsoever why they translated Snape to Rogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Arkeus posted:

The problem is Shiro's name is actually Shiro.

I thought it was Shiraori and that Shiro is just what she goes by when interacting with the Demon King and associated people.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

world of cultivation might be good if they decided to actually translate it, but we will never know.

just treat it like you're reading an English fantasy or scifi novel

if you can't handle a couple dozen neologisms per book then your spec fic power level is too low

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Ytlaya posted:

I thought it was Shiraori and that Shiro is just what she goes by when interacting with the Demon King and associated people.

Yeah, her name is Shiraori and Shiro is her nickname/what everyone calls her.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Autonomous Monster posted:

Eh. That one's pretty easy to work out.

There's a stretch in the ZTJ translations where "cultivate", "cultivation" etc. are left entirely untranslated. :shepface:

e: In fairness, if you're not already familiar with the concept, a translation probably isn't going to help you much there.

easy to figure out but its my go to for just how ridiculous wn translations can get when dialogue approaches 50% titles by word

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like the Divine Word Pope in Kumoko. He's an interesting character.

edit: How old are Wrath/Sophia when they first meet?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 31, 2017

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Ytlaya posted:

I like the Divine Word Pope in Kumoko. He's an interesting character.

edit: How old are Wrath/Sophia when they first meet?

A few years before war, maybe?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

All the human reincarnators are about the same age, so Sophia can't be any older than Shun and and his crew.

Tiriganiaq
Feb 21, 2012
They changed a lot of the names for Harry Potter here in norway as well. I forgot most of them but for example Dumbledore becme Humlesnurr, which doesn't mean anything in particular, but is the same whimsical nonsense that is appropriate for the character. I think the fact that it's an all ages book series has a lot to do with it since some of the names are hard to pronounce in norwegian. Like they changed Hermoine to Hermine. We barely ever change or dub stuff unless it's for kids these days because we have become pretty comfortable with english in general I think. When I went through my parents old comic books everything got translated, even where it was unneeded. Batman ended up as Lynvingen (Lightning Wing.) . Now it's just left as Batman.

E. Oh right, Snape ended up as Slur. Pretty much a pronounciation thing all around.

Tiriganiaq fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 31, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bobulus posted:

All the human reincarnators are about the same age, so Sophia can't be any older than Shun and and his crew.

Yeah, but I can't remember how many years have passed or how many years the Oni/Sophia meet before intersecting with Shun and crew. I also can't remember how old Shun (and everyone else for that matter) are by the time the Elf Village battle takes place. If the human academy is like the demon one, it lasts until the age of 15, so I'm thinking that maybe they're all <15?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I want to say they're all about the same age they were when they died, since they all recognize each other immediately.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Yeah, I don't have any concrete numbers in my head, but Sophia definitely acts like a bratty 15-year-old, so I'm going to go with that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Speaking of Sophia - has she been banging her reverse harem or what? It's been kind of unclear and at first I thought that Shiro was mistaking blood sucking for making out, but later Sophia mentions in one of her chapters how blood sucking often escalates into something more.

In general I think part of what sets this web novel apart from like 99% of other web novels is the fact that it focuses on multiple characters. This prevents the issue of the web novel just being a power fantasy with a singular protagonist being a proxy for the reader. For this reason I've been enjoying all the post-Labyrinth story a lot more, now that there's a bigger focus on plot and it isn't just about Kumoko becoming stronger and killing monsters. Even the Kumoko chapters now include more characters, which makes them more enjoyable.

Is there any word on how close the series is to finishing? From what I understand the translations are around where the raws are, right? I'm wondering if the story will end with the resolution of the whole "saving the world" issue or if the plot will move on to the larger setting (we still don't really know what's up with all the Gods, netherworld, etc).

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Quoting myself, since it's relevant to the current discussion:

Tamba posted:

Volume 4 of the novel includes a timeline

Year 840: Kumoko is born
841: Shun and the other human classmates are born.

847: Appraisal ceremony for Shun&Co

851: Shun&Co start going to the School

856: Human-Demon war

also, Kumoko-planet-years are a bit longer than earth years, so you can probably add a year or two if you're calculating ages.

Ytlaya posted:

Is there any word on how close the series is to finishing? From what I understand the translations are around where the raws are, right? I'm wondering if the story will end with the resolution of the whole "saving the world" issue or if the plot will move on to the larger setting (we still don't really know what's up with all the Gods, netherworld, etc).

I actually thought it would be over shortly after chapter 300, but then the author started another flashback chapter, so who knows. The main story seems to be almost finished though.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 31, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I hope it doesn't end that soon. Even though it might be best for the story as a whole to end it before letting it become bad, there are so few good web novels that I don't want to lose one of the rare ones I enjoy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No! Kill it before it turns!

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I originally dropped Ze Tian Ji/Way of Choices back when he beat the demon assassin. I had picked it up at the same time as a bunch of other trash xianxia/wuxia novels so I was dropping them left and right. I came back, now I'm caught up, and it is really, really good.

I'm worried it's going to run into the same problem ISSTH had, where it's way better when people aren't fighting but it's going to turn into constant asspull battles, but we'll see. So far it's been very good at showing that Changsheng is a genius but even at his best it's only enough to be roughly on par with the other geniuses in his generation.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Battles in ISSTH have devolved into Meng Hao waving his hand and making people explode. Occasionally he discovers a new way to wave his hand and instantly kill people who are horribly outmatched.

ZTJ has done a much better job so far of making battles tense and interesting. Sure he's a genius with a comically oversized bag of tricks, but he's constantly facing people who are far above his weight class, he usually has to depend on others to win, and the stakes are often more complicated than win or die so failure is always a possibility. Most of the rear end pulls seem to be preceded by a fair bit of foreshadowing, but still manage to be surprising and interesting in their execution.

The only complaint I've had about the story so far was that I couldn't see why anyone would believe that horrible frame job, but that was finally explained in a way that made sense.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no one important believes it, but no one important cares about the well-being of poor zhexiu either so they might as well torture him anyway.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So, has anyone read Shrouding the Heavens/Zhetian? And, if so, does it have any redeeming qualities whatsoever?

Because I'm at chapter 22, and, uh

a) It's still the prologue somehow?
b) The protagonist has yet to establish any sort of personality. Apart from "calm", maybe?
c) The author just will not shut up about how the "weak-willed females" are falling over cliffs or bursting into tears or having nervous breakdowns. I mean, I was prepared for your average garden variety webnovel misogyny, but this guy seems genuinely worried that the reader might forget to despise women.
d) This seems to be one of those stories where every character is the worst possible version of themselves at all times. It's bumming me out just a little.

...I'm not going to keep going with this one.

I've also read Absolute Choice and Forty Millenniums of Cultivation recently.

Absolute Choice I actually liked! It came up here a couple of weeks ago, I think the thread was pretty down on it? Well, dissenting opinion: it makes me laugh. Shi Xiaobai is ridiculous buffoon on every level and the novel's not afraid to lean into that. The image of a guy in a clown outfit throwing fantasy kung-fu counterstrike players into despair by dancing around like a crab had me giggling for hours.

Forty Millenniums... 99% of it does not in any way resemble Warhammer fanfiction. This is a shame, because the parts that do are the best parts. Like, there's this bit where the protagonist and his peers visit an old warship turned monument. The warship, it turns out, is famous;

quote:

On the hologram appeared a blood-like setting sun, stormy winds and thunder, and a thousand crystal battleships interweaved amongst each other. They mutually collided, tore apart, and were engulfed in explosion in a bitter battle!

"It's 500 years ago during the Great Blood Ocean War!" Li Yao's spirit was shaken.

The hologram soon displayed upon its screen the stirring and tragic scene of the Distant Expanse fiercely ramming into the Wild Heaven.

The Wild Heaven was the Far East Demon Kingdom's flagship. Rumour had it that the skeletons and corpses of a hundred giant Demon Beasts from the bottom of the ocean were catalyzed by demonic techniques to condense and refine into this incomparably large skeletal battleship.

Its total length exceeded 20 kilometers and its weight reached 190 million tons. It was simply an ugly, levitating mountain peak. It gave off a feeling of indestructibility and dread.

Even the Distant Expanse was like a dingy boat when compared to the Wild Heaven, disintegrating with only a slight bump.

But when faced with this powerful enemy, the Distant Expanse increased its speed with no thoughts of turning back. It went faster and accelerated constantly towards the hardest front deck of the Wild Heaven, bursting with all its strength.

Clearly, the Wild Heaven discovered the intentions of the Distant Expanse. The countless acid sacks on its body, demonic energy cannons, and flaming poison glands all charged up. They fired out hundreds of acidic liquids, poisonous juices, and demonic lasers. They cleaved and struck, bombarding against the spiritual energy force fields of the Distant Expanse.

The Distant Expanse was on the brink of collapse from the bombardment; its spiritual energy force fields went dark. The ship could break into pieces at any moment.

This is much more interesting than anything the story is actually about.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Starting part 3 of Ascendance of a Bookworm and it's starting to look like this is going to need a big chart of all the character's family trees and relationships like Game of Thrones needed. The list of characters expands pretty dramatically as the story goes on.

Really, really good though. The second half of Part 2 had a lot of great moments.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Bakanogami posted:

Starting part 3 of Ascendance of a Bookworm and it's starting to look like this is going to need a big chart of all the character's family trees and relationships like Game of Thrones needed. The list of characters expands pretty dramatically as the story goes on.

Really, really good though. The second half of Part 2 had a lot of great moments.

The finale of arc 2 is amazing. I was a wreck, though.

Edit: Btw, there is a huge and complicated relationship chart out there. Pretty rabid fans for this series. Not to mention the big wiki with 314 characters and their affiliations listed. Includes spoilers, though.

Edit 2: Don't miss that she started posting side stories on a different page once part IV began: http://ncode.syosetu.com/n7835cj/

darkgray fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 2, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So Shiro's plan has been revealed in Kumoko, and there are a couple things I don't totally understand.

1. Why is "soul death" worse than regular reincarnation death? If you can't remember your previous lives, regular reincarnation death doesn't seem any different than "full" soul death.

2. From what I understand, the two options are 1. do nothing until Sariel's soul dies, at which point Kuro takes over and sacrifices himself to save the planet and 2. kill enough people that the System can be destroyed and Sariel's soul can be saved, though she would still die (Kumoko's plan). Doesn't it seem like the the only difference is thousands of people "regular" dying vs. Sariel and Kuro soul dying? I'm not seeing what the problem is with the first option if it would still save the planet and not involved a bunch of killing (even if the killing doesn't kill their souls).

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

So Shiro's plan has been revealed in Kumoko, and there are a couple things I don't totally understand.

1. Why is "soul death" worse than regular reincarnation death? If you can't remember your previous lives, regular reincarnation death doesn't seem any different than "full" soul death.
Same reason that someone dying in real life is worse than the person getting amnesia.

quote:

2. From what I understand, the two options are 1. do nothing until Sariel's soul dies, at which point Kuro takes over and sacrifices himself to save the planet and 2. kill enough people that the System can be destroyed and Sariel's soul can be saved, though she would still die (Kumoko's plan). Doesn't it seem like the the only difference is thousands of people "regular" dying vs. Sariel and Kuro soul dying? I'm not seeing what the problem is with the first option if it would still save the planet and not involved a bunch of killing (even if the killing doesn't kill their souls).

My understanding is that even if Kuro sacrifices himself it won't be enough to heal the planet, just give it more time. It might have been enough if it wasn't for Potimas, but currently it won't. Shiro's plan actually seem to be a bit more nasty than what you are saying, too.

Semquais
Dec 5, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Arkeus posted:

Same reason that someone dying in real life is worse than the person getting amnesia.

My understanding is that even if Kuro sacrifices himself it won't be enough to heal the planet, just give it more time. It might have been enough if it wasn't for Potimas, but currently it won't. Shiro's plan actually seem to be a bit more nasty than what you are saying, too.

Also whenever the people living under the system gain exp that is actually a part of whatever they killed's soul getting grafted to their own, so its only the system' support keeping their mismatched souls still working. Which is why Shiro is trying to cut down on high level human/demons so that their souls can be "purifed" before the system is used to restore the planet.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

darkgray posted:

The finale of arc 2 is amazing. I was a wreck, though.

Edit: Btw, there is a huge and complicated relationship chart out there. Pretty rabid fans for this series. Not to mention the big wiki with 314 characters and their affiliations listed. Includes spoilers, though.

Edit 2: Don't miss that she started posting side stories on a different page once part IV began: http://ncode.syosetu.com/n7835cj/

I know, right? The last bit of part 2 utterly destroyed me.

As far as relationship charts, I found this one on Pixiv and have been using it, but it's kinda hard to read. I'm a bit hesitant to go through the fanart (of which there is a surprisingly large amount!) looking for more due to spoilers. All the stuff seems to either be of part 1 or from parts 4-5.

I did find the side story page, and it's even still being updated! I've still got a long way to go to part 4, though.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Bakanogami posted:

I know, right? The last bit of part 2 utterly destroyed me.

As far as relationship charts, I found this one on Pixiv and have been using it, but it's kinda hard to read. I'm a bit hesitant to go through the fanart (of which there is a surprisingly large amount!) looking for more due to spoilers. All the stuff seems to either be of part 1 or from parts 4-5.

I did find the side story page, and it's even still being updated! I've still got a long way to go to part 4, though.

I meant this monster: http://goo.gl/Fx7BzV
Or this: http://i.imgur.com/ZKI7dIT.gif

But since they were updated as the story progressed, they spoil a bit.

Edit: This is the wiki, for future reference.

darkgray fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 3, 2017

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

darkgray posted:

I meant this monster: http://goo.gl/Fx7BzV
Or this: http://i.imgur.com/ZKI7dIT.gif

But since they were updated as the story progressed, they spoil a bit.

Edit: This is the wiki, for future reference.

Wow, that is both exactly what I was looking for and way bigger than I was expecting.

This series is seriously so good. I'd been planning to spend the weekend playing Nier or Breath of the Wild but I just can't put Bookworm down.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Bakanogami posted:

This series is seriously so good. I'd been planning to spend the weekend playing Nier or Breath of the Wild but I just can't put Bookworm down.

Hmm, I actually think it takes a big step up in part 4, but it's also reminiscent of some other big fantasy series, so I've seen complaints about it as well. It seems to be where it started becoming really popular, at least.

Edit: Oh yeah, they're doing some campaign thing this week where they let you read the entire manga for free: http://seiga.nicovideo.jp/comic/18228
Just make sure you turn off the comments, to avoid massive ending spoilers by idiots. Kind of fun to see what the world looks like.

darkgray fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 3, 2017

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Semquais posted:

Also whenever the people living under the system gain exp that is actually a part of whatever they killed's soul getting grafted to their own, so its only the system' support keeping their mismatched souls still working. Which is why Shiro is trying to cut down on high level human/demons so that their souls can be "purifed" before the system is used to restore the planet.

I think that's wrong. That's why Poitomas is keeping the reincarnators all sequestered with no growth in the elf village. The experience gain helps restore the system when they die. She's trying to keep people from being unreasonably strong because she'll have to kill them to restore the system. Which is why she was trying to have pawns and jerks get the ruler titles.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Chapter 3 of honzuki manga is translated :swoon:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Man, Kumoko's story is so tight. Every major detail was obviously planned out from the very beginning, and it's interesting how they basically hinted at a bunch of later plot developments through the Shun chapters early on.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Man, Kumoko's story is so tight. Every major detail was obviously planned out from the very beginning, and it's interesting how they basically hinted at a bunch of later plot developments through the Shun chapters early on.

Probably it helped that the author was re-writing the story for the Light Novel version as they went.

Although I guess the light novel switches a few things around, so it'll be interesting to see if the story ends in a different way.

Two changes I know about :
- One of the students gets reincarnated as a dragon-type monster, whom Kumoko almost ate as an egg, and was later raised by Shun. I guess she gets a human form later.
- I guess Kumoko takes longer to become a god. All the roadtripping with Ariel happens when she's still in her arania stage.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bobulus posted:

- One of the students gets reincarnated as a dragon-type monster, whom Kumoko almost ate as an egg, and was later raised by Shun. I guess she gets a human form later.
- I guess Kumoko takes longer to become a god. All the roadtripping with Ariel happens when she's still in her arania stage.

Ah, both of those make sense. I had totally forgotten about that egg, and now that you mention it nothing ever comes of it in the WNs. It also felt kind of abrupt to have Kumoko suddenly luck upon this energy repository and then BAM she's a god.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i came to this thread because i heard there was a story about a reincarnated vending machine man and let me tell you that's been goddamn hilarious to read both of itself and because of the translation

is the spider girl light novel translated anywhere? i've been reading the manga courtesy of the absurd sol thread and i want to know if i should read the wn or ln or what

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the ln isn't translated anywhere. the wn was machine translated up until a decent group picked it up, and it is up to date or close to it now. blastron is going back over the machine translations, but putting actual effort into the process means he hasn't caught up to where they stopped yet.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Bobulus posted:

Probably it helped that the author was re-writing the story for the Light Novel version as they went.

Although I guess the light novel switches a few things around, so it'll be interesting to see if the story ends in a different way.

I'm actually excited a bit about #2 there, because it feels like a wasted opportunity in the WN because she never really gets the opportunity to fail at socializing while still obviously being non-human.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

FriggenJ posted:

I think that's wrong. That's why Poitomas is keeping the reincarnators all sequestered with no growth in the elf village. The experience gain helps restore the system when they die. She's trying to keep people from being unreasonably strong because she'll have to kill them to restore the system. Which is why she was trying to have pawns and jerks get the ruler titles.

that's not why he kept them there. potimas wanted to experiment with them as yet another way to try and ascend to godhood. skills and such weaken souls because they use that soul's energy. also, having a bunch of reincarnators with varying numbers of skills is adding unwanted variables to his experimental subjects.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's been two weeks since the last Kumo update. :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding Kumoko, I kinda wish that there'll be some sort of problem or mistake with her plans. To be honest, I don't really like how all her ideas and plans are always (more or less) perfect and correct. It would be nice if some other character had to make up for something wrong she did. It would also work kind of well thematically if her hardcore "ends justify the means" pragmatism ended up being a flaw in some way and someone else (like Shun or something) helped to come up with a better solution. I feel like all the other characters have just been swept up in Shiro's schemes and haven't had much agency, so it'd be nice to have them actually accomplish something that isn't just part of Shiro's grand plan.

I'm wondering if the recent chapter narrated by post-death Natsume might be hinting at the flaws with Shiro's approach. Her brainwashing basically made him commit to the idea that he was in a dream, and if someone had spoken seriously to him about the situation there's a chance he would have understood. We've also seen Wrath commenting on how mind controlling people (to kill their own family no less*) is really hosed up, even if the end goal might be a good one. If I had to guess, I feel like the core flaw in Shiro's approach is that she never really tries to come up with a better idea once she's come across an idea that works, even if the idea is pretty atrocious. I'm not sure if this will actually come up as an issue, though, since so far her plans have worked almost perfectly.

Also, regarding Wrath, I feel like he's a pretty hypocritical guy and ironically has a pretty weak character despite the way he was described and initially portrayed. I feel like the reason he has committed himself so heavily to Shiro's plans and massacring people is because it allows him to mentally absolve himself of the guilt from all the people he killed while under the influence of Wrath (and not under its influence as well I think). I think it's actually a form of cowardice that he's trying to escape from confronting the fact that, even if killing people may be better in the long run, it still caused a lot of pain and suffering that can't just be ignored.

*I mean seriously, you don't get much worse than that. At that point you're basically just saying torture is okay.