Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Whenever I think of matte paintings I think of those two Cardassian friends we see several times in DS9 (even if they didn't use paintings, I think) and how they ended up :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Powered Descent posted:

From the way he tells it, it's not so much that he didn't pay his taxes for 20 years, and more that there was one year that he made an absolute shitton of money, but that's the year his wife emptied the bank accounts and ran off, leaving him without enough to pay the taxes on that income. Since he has yet to have another windfall on anything like that scale, he still can't pay the back taxes all these years later. You could argue that there's more he could have been doing to keep the IRS happy, but it's still a lovely situation that doesn't really sound like it's his fault. (I tossed him ten bucks. His novel I, Q is worth that much all by itself.)

And while I was looking up the link to his story, I saw that he's put up two new updates. Since he posted his plea two days ago, his fans have come through for him to the tune of $40,000. :aaaaa:
http://www.peterdavid.net/2017/04/01/the-campaign-day-two/
http://www.peterdavid.net/2017/04/02/campaign-day-three-first-thank-you-level-reached/

If she really stole the money he should have sued her over it in the divorce. And like I said above, if he'd actually worked with the IRS instead of ignoring and assuming it had gone away as he himself states, then he wouldn't be in this situation.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Kibayasu posted:

Whenever I think of matte paintings I think of those two Cardassian friends we see several times in DS9 (even if they didn't use paintings, I think) and how they ended up :smith:

Those two guys always listening to state broadcasts?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Kibayasu posted:

I've only seen it once but I know exactly who you're talking about. Maybe they go up there to smoke.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Kibayasu posted:

They're hanging out with the two Stargate security guards outside Cheyenne Mountain.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rhyno posted:

If she really stole the money he should have sued her over it in the divorce. And like I said above, if he'd actually worked with the IRS instead of ignoring and assuming it had gone away as he himself states, then he wouldn't be in this situation.

I think he just basically assumed "next year" he'd have another big windfall of a tv show and that would solve his woes.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Pakled posted:

The one that always stuck out to me was this matte painting from TNG that they used like three times for three different planets.

According to the site, there's another matte painting they used more often, but to me that one was "generic alien city" enough that I didn't really notice. This structure is a lot more distinctive and when they re-used it, they didn't change as much.

Yeah, that one got used so much you might as well tell yourself it's the generic loading screen for the next scene.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Astroman posted:

I think he just basically assumed "next year" he'd have another big windfall of a tv show and that would solve his woes.

Well that's short sighted on his part and not a good excuse either. He admitted he thought they'd just give up and go away at some point and it doesn't sound like he ever tried to work out a settlement or payment plan.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I always noticed the Generic Alien City, the reuse really stuck out.

They edited it a bit to vary it up in TNG: HD, at least.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Astroman posted:

Also a reminder that this was his "big windfall" TV show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO0JBFlof90

I knew Jewel Staite was in that, I didn't realize the black Power Ranger was.

Edit: That's weird, for me at least that video doesn't have audio when embedded, but it does if you watch it on Youtube.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Thanks to Ex Astria, I now know the name of this prop that got used all the drat time!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Pakled posted:

The one that always stuck out to me was this matte painting from TNG that they used like three times for three different planets.

This is a rad painting.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The_Doctor posted:

Thanks to Ex Astria, I now know the name of this prop that got used all the drat time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG-0V-85H_0&t=101s

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's totally understandable that TOS had to skimp on the budget at times, but less excusable is that one Klingon Bird Of Prey explosion from the movies...

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Astroman posted:

Rule of Acquisition # 10

If you ain't got the clientele say hell no
Cuz they gon want they money rain sleet hail snow

Orv
May 4, 2011

It's been a while since I watched Airplane so I was worrying a little that maybe I was finally old enough to just lose entire sections of my memory; thankfully it's just been even longer since I watched 2.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Sir Lemming posted:

It's totally understandable that TOS had to skimp on the budget at times, but less excusable is that one Klingon Bird Of Prey explosion from the movies...

Hey, reusing that explosion let them pay for new uniforms that they didn't use

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Kibayasu posted:

Did...did Voyager copy Move Along Home?

I've been reiminaging bad TNG and DS9 episodes as voyager episodes, to see if they sound better on Voyager.

I cannot think of a version of Profit and Lace that isn't horribly sexiest.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sir Lemming posted:

They really had no money on Generations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Timby posted:

But stellar cartography.
I remember some production marketing video where they just gush about how that set was pretty much the star of the movie and oh my god you gotta go see this movie we made a stellar cartography set it's the key to everything.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

"We do not discuss the TNG movies with outsiders." :worfsay:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Baronjutter posted:

But stellar cartography.
I remember some production marketing video where they just gush about how that set was pretty much the star of the movie and oh my god you gotta go see this movie we made a stellar cartography set it's the key to everything.

Yeah, and Zimmerman botched the initial build of Stellar Cartography -- he initially painted everything with this super-reflective chrome color, never pausing to think, "Oh, poo poo, this set has giant blue screens all over it, there might be spill issues." Well, turned out there were spill issues, really bad ones, and so after shooting for a day or two on the set, they actually lost a whole bunch of time because the crew had to hose down just about every piece of the set with dulling spray, and time was a luxury they didn't have, at all, on that movie, since they were rushing to meet the November release.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Today I learned that the pilot episode for Voyager cost more to produce than The Wrath of Khan.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Today I learned that the pilot episode for Voyager cost more to produce than The Wrath of Khan.

Didn't help they had to reshoot a ton of it because they had to recast Janeway and start over

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

McNally posted:

Hey, reusing that explosion let them pay for new uniforms that they didn't use

I can't believe there isn't more about the uniforms out there. Took me ages to find even these pics. I'd have thought a fair few would have made it to auctions and whatnot. They do look pretty terrible though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

skooma512 posted:

Didn't help they had to reshoot a ton of it because they had to recast Janeway and start over

"A ton" is overstating it by a significant amount -- Bujold was only on the set for about a day and a half before she walked off. Caretaker was so expensive because they had to build a metric poo poo-ton of new sets, both the CGI and physical models of Voyager, they did a lot of crazy-expensive location shooting and because it was to be the flagship of UPN, they got some extra money to pad out the shooting schedule; the two-parter was shot over the course of 31 days. (For comparison's sake, All Good Things... was shot over seventeen days.)

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

The_Doctor posted:

I can't believe there isn't more about the uniforms out there. Took me ages to find even these pics. I'd have thought a fair few would have made it to auctions and whatnot. They do look pretty terrible though.

quote:

However concern over presenting too many new elements led to those costumes being dropped from the movie just as filming began

No! They changed the collars! It was black but now it's red! I can't process it! What is this ronald mcdonald mickey mouse bullshit!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Reading through The 50 Year Mission, I was completely unaware that Kate Mulgrew was pissed at Jeri Ryan for most of the last three seasons of the show. I also have a better respect for Robert Beltran being candid about all of the behind the scenes stuff. Disappointed that they didn't get to talk to Robert Picardo.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

vermin posted:

No! They changed the collars! It was black but now it's red! I can't process it! What is this ronald mcdonald mickey mouse bullshit!

You joke, but I'd lay better than even odds they'd have got this exact angry fan letter. Verbatim.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Reading through The 50 Year Mission, I was completely unaware that Kate Mulgrew was pissed at Jeri Ryan for most of the last three seasons of the show. I also have a better respect for Robert Beltran being candid about all of the behind the scenes stuff. Disappointed that they didn't get to talk to Robert Picardo.

Jeri Ryan opened up quite a bit about her experiences with Mulgrew on an episode of a podcast -- I want to say it was Aisha Tyler's? Anyway, she never named names, but it was clear that she was talking about Mulgrew, and how Mulgrew treated her like crap. For example, if Ryan needed to use the bathroom, it took like a half-hour and a few crew members to get her out of her costume and corset and whatnot, and Mulgrew would start throwing passive-aggressive tantrums about it. Or when they were doing one-shot coverage on scenes, Mulgrew would be off-camera thumbing through a book or just half-assing her lines while Ryan's supposed to be playing intense stuff for the camera. Here it is.

As for Picardo, he's always come across as the consummate actor's actor, in that if he doesn't have anything nice to say, he won't say anything at all. I've always had the impression that he enjoyed his work on Voyager but he wasn't a fan of the working environment.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've heard that Picardo gets very upset when people tell him he was the only good actor on Voyager because he feels it disrespects the hard work the whole cast put into it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always felt Voyager's cast did the best with what they were given. Even good actors struggled when given poo poo to work with.

I really need to get 50 year mission, is it on kindle?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've heard that Picardo gets very upset when people tell him he was the only good actor on Voyager because he feels it disrespects the hard work the whole cast put into it.

As FrensaGerans found out. :v:

Edit:

twistedmentat posted:

Yeah, the two books together are maybe $40?

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 3, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I always felt Voyager's cast did the best with what they were given. Even good actors struggled when given poo poo to work with.

It's on everything, including audiobook. Audiobook is a bit hard to follow and lengthy.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

dont even fink about it posted:

It's on everything, including audiobook. Audiobook is a bit hard to follow and lengthy.

I've heard bad things about the audiobook.

It makes a great ebook on my phone. Easy to pick up and put down whenever for any length of reading.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Wheat Loaf posted:

To be fair, it is objectively untrue. Mulgrew and Ryan are both fantastic actresses and Beltran is pretty passable when given something where the writing doesn't kill his will to live.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

dont even fink about it posted:

I got the audiobook from the library.

It's actually pretty hilarious. The readers butcher pronunciations of places and technology and they try to emulate people's accents. I don't know if Winrich Kolbe sounds quite that German, but it's kind of funny when the reader hams it up. Mulgrew's reader tried to do the purring thing she does.

That book did give me respect for the process and how we end up with bad episodes. I'm also less inclined to blame actors for anything, they just read what they're given and would do a much better job if they were given much better stuff.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

skooma512 posted:

I'm also less inclined to blame actors for anything, they just read what they're given and would do a much better job if they were given much better stuff.

Stewart and Spiner are both directly to blame for Insurrection and Nemesis, respectively.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

skooma512 posted:

I got the audiobook from the library.

It's actually pretty hilarious. The readers butcher pronunciations of places and technology and they try to emulate people's accents. I don't know if Winrich Kolbe sounds quite that German, but it's kind of funny when the reader hams it up. Mulgrew's reader tried to do the purring thing she does.

That book did give me respect for the process and how we end up with bad episodes. I'm also less inclined to blame actors for anything, they just read what they're given and would do a much better job if they were given much better stuff.

I have not listened to most of the second half, I quit when I got to the end of the TNG movies because idgaf about DS9 or Voyager and before then there are only 1 or 2 mispronunciations I can remember ("fortuicious"). The quality of the actors seemed to slide on the second book, though.

The Voyager stuff sounds funny though, maybe I'll give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Admiral Jameson's makeup, man. He looks like a product of the Jim Henson company.