Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Ainsley McTree posted:

So, what features are everybody looking forward to most in the utopia expansion

Faction rework and traditions/ascension

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ainsley McTree posted:

Slightly less dumb sectors, also better empire customization and synthetic ascension.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Space habitats are going to be awesome.

I'm looking forward to going as tall as possible with a tiny, incredibly densely populated empire.

Also starting with robots.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I am disappointed in the above posters. EVERYONE knows the most profound upcoming feature will be the new fleet scrollbar fixed so that it doesn't freaking reset every time you click on a ship.

Seriously tho, it has to be a tie between the 3 different ascension endgame paths and the faction rework.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Oddly enough I'm most excited about warscore changes and being able to take more than 3 planets as the game goes on.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~
[loud slurping noises]

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
unbelievable that people would equivocate between utopia features and banks features so shamelessly

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Species converting to robots and faster building robots. That was far and away my biggest problem with the strat I like playing most.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

unbelievable that people would equivocate between utopia features and banks features so shamelessly

If you don't buy the DLC you don't deserve the free patch features. Whole buncha takers out there.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Baronjutter posted:

If you don't buy the DLC you don't deserve the free patch features. Whole buncha takers out there.

fanatic individualist spotted

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

fanatic individualist spotted

Well, they are a dying breed. In a few days, there won't be any of them left.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Megastructures. And in general the ability to do more tall gameplay / build my pretty little space empire.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
To be honest, just the AI upgrades to sector management alone have me feeling some kind of way. :toot:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kimsemus posted:

To be honest, just the AI upgrades to sector management alone have me feeling some kind of way. :toot:

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking forward to making a race of Arrogant Space Elves, having them investigate the Shroud, and then get promptly eaten by whatever lives inside it.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Although I would also like the option to Dig Too Deep on a colony and awaken a slumbering leviathan that also promptly eats everyone.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Aethernet posted:

I'm looking forward to making a race of Arrogant Space Elves, having them investigate the Shroud, and then get promptly eaten by whatever lives inside it.

I'm going to ruin at least one game because I refuse to play on anything other than ironman but there's no way I'm not pressing the "don't do this" button

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Like always, I'm looking forward to killing space fascists. Except this time I can eat them.

edit: I'm going to literally eat the rich

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I'm looking forward to having every single mod stop working!

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I mean, that's all cool, don't get me wrong, but the best part is we'll be able to play ravening carnivorous hiveminds now.

The scourge are going to show up only to find that the galaxy already has an alpha predator, and they're lower on the food chain :getin:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Lum_ posted:

That's probably not going to happen.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Lum_ posted:

With a game like stellaris you don't really "need" mods, the game is great on its own and most mods are either crazy TC sort of things like trek mod, or just little minor things that can be quickly updated.
But with a game like Skylines it's devastating when a new version comes out because the game is like 40% vanilla base code 60% mods and for most people it's impossible to live without their 50 major gameplay mods which then all break on a new version and oh 3 of the mod authors aren't updating their mods anymore but other mods depend on that and now there's huge drama because someone copied someone's old mod to fill the gaps. You have to wait like a month+ and pretty much rebuild your collection from scratch on every update :(

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lum_ posted:

The only one I'd really miss is the "auto explore from the beginning" mod which it sounds like I won't even need anymore so hell yeah utopia rules

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Baronjutter posted:

With a game like stellaris you don't really "need" mods, the game is great on its own and most mods are either crazy TC sort of things like trek mod, or just little minor things that can be quickly updated.
But with a game like Skylines it's devastating when a new version comes out because the game is like 40% vanilla base code 60% mods and for most people it's impossible to live without their 50 major gameplay mods which then all break on a new version and oh 3 of the mod authors aren't updating their mods anymore but other mods depend on that and now there's huge drama because someone copied someone's old mod to fill the gaps. You have to wait like a month+ and pretty much rebuild your collection from scratch on every update :(

I disagree. A good counter argument is the amount of features in Utopia directly lifted from some of the most popular mods on the Workshop.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Wiz looks younger than I ever expected.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Kimsemus posted:

I disagree. A good counter argument is the amount of features in Utopia directly lifted from some of the most popular mods on the Workshop.

That's sort of what i'm saying though. Skylines refuses to see where the wind is blowing and implement the things that people want but they instead have to build out of 50+ mods. Stellaris updates might ruin compatibility for some mods, but for every mod that isn't compatible 2 are probably now no longer needed so it's not really devastating. Stellaris actually fixes/implements the stuff the mods address rather than "forcing" people to rely on messy web of mods to get the basic gameplay and quality of life stuff the base game should really have.

Like, I have some strong opinions about Stellaris but I think I've got maybe 3 mods installed and they're all basic interface/quality of life stuff and most of it will become vanilla in banks.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Baronjutter posted:

That's sort of what i'm saying though. Skylines refuses to see where the wind is blowing and implement the things that people want but they instead have to build out of 50+ mods. Stellaris updates might ruin compatibility for some mods, but for every mod that isn't compatible 2 are probably now no longer needed so it's not really devastating. Stellaris actually fixes/implements the stuff the mods address rather than "forcing" people to rely on messy web of mods to get the basic gameplay and quality of life stuff the base game should really have.

Like, I have some strong opinions about Stellaris but I think I've got maybe 3 mods installed and they're all basic interface/quality of life stuff and most of it will become vanilla in banks.

I don't disagree, and I especially agree with the Skylines example.

On the other hand, I wouldn't enjoy playing Stellaris as much if I couldn't bring in mods that don't gently caress up the original game formula, but instead add more complexity. More researches that make sense, more shiptypes, etc.

In my opinion, Alphamod, and the NSC (New Ship Classes) mod do what Stellaris should do baseline, but that's just me. For me, once you master a game like Stellaris, it's fun, especially in multiplayer, to then add additional layers of choice and complexity in your empire without really breaking the core game.

Skylines though is just a mess. 100+ mods later and it still doesn't do all of what you think it should.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Oh yeah no one's saying Stellaris doesn't need mods, just that the brief week or two (or hours in many cases) when a new version hits isn't as absolutely debilitating as in something like skylines.

The last month or so I got back into stellaris and wanted to check out some of the actual gameplay mods but Banks was coming and I didn't want to bother. Plus I heard most of them add a lot of bloat/unbalanced stuff. After going back to civ4 and playing a bunch of the old top modpacks I really got sick of these kitchen-sink type mods that just add tons of content for the sake of it.

An engineer's job isn't done when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. I wish more modders and gamedevs followed this civ tech quote.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Looks like a couple of youtubers have their hands on Banks and Utopia, if anybody wants to pass the time by watching them.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Oh yeah no one's saying Stellaris doesn't need mods,

Baronjutter posted:

:shrug:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
self-owned, but you know what I mean. Stellaris can benifit from mods and it's good to have them but it's not "literally unplayable" without them.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Baronjutter posted:

self-owned, but you know what I mean. Stellaris can benifit from mods and it's good to have them but it's not "literally unplayable" without them.

Maybe not, but I think what I'm driving at and what you were probably alluding to is that mods can (and do) take Stellaris from a very good game to an excellent game.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I actually didn't know what you meant and that was really confusing at first but that makes sense yeah.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I'm looking forward to making a pact with The End of The Cycle megastructures and synth ascension.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
here's a neat time lapse video of a Utopia game. the unbidden pop up towards the end and kill almost everyone, but a FE awakens and together with its allies purges the galaxy of invaders. a fun little potted space opera told through colors changing on a map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDntlTFcQag

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Great patch notes overall. The empire customization features look incredible.

However,

quote:

* Doubled the base time it takes to colonize planets

This sucks. This sucks a lot. I play this game almost exclusively with other people (AI is dumb as a rock and provides little challenge unless on insane---and then it's a matter of luck as to who your neighbors are) and the meta has been slaver/conqueror empires since the game released. Rushing has been the best strategy (in single-player too) if you really want to win, and so a nerf to colonization time seriously increases the window in which rushers have to absorb their less aggressive neighbors.

Maybe all the rest of the changes will have a load of stealth nerfs against that sort of meta, but I honestly doubt it and while the patch/expansion overall looks amazing, this one change will probably keep the multiplayer scene stale.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I don't think it's insulting to say Wiz looks like a serial killer. Having someone leading the Stellaris 2.0 project who puts in an extreme level of care and detail is perfect imho

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/849018377955930112

finally, we can put staregate behind us

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Staregate will live on forever in our hearts. Wiz I hope you know I'm now expecting an easter egg event in 1.6 about your ruler staring into the camera while giving a speech or something

E: His face was tired

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Staregate SG1.

• Locked thread