Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Wait, is NieR: Automata not in Platinum's typical gameplay style?

Knowing Platinum was involved was what made me decide to skip out on that entire series since I don't like how their games play, but if it doesn't play like Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising etc. then I might go back and check it out after I'm done with Persona 5.

This is the worst opinion I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Eh there's nothing wrong with disliking P* style combat, it's definitely more niche than Dark Souls style and there's plenty of reasons to dislike that.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Nier's combat is nowhere near as good as bayonetta.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't get into Platinum's combat style at all.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I need explanations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Joe Gillian posted:

I need explanations.

I feel like there is a constant pressure not to button mash, but the games are so fast that really button mashing is all you CAN do because there's not enough time to input combos on the fly like that. For me, at least. I'm sure there are some savants out there who can keep up with the games ez... but I noticed that Revengeance has a very large window for continuing a combo chain that you will never ever see because enemies attack and recover from being hit so drat fast.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Nier isn't "platinum style", really. Their touch is only really visible in the signature just-in-time dodge mechanic, and in movement in general not feeling stiff and clunky the way a lot of other Japanese games do. It plays absolutely nothing like their hardcore brawlers.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Raxivace posted:

Wait, is NieR: Automata not in Platinum's typical gameplay style?

Knowing Platinum was involved was what made me decide to skip out on that entire series since I don't like how their games play, but if it doesn't play like Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising etc. then I might go back and check it out after I'm done with Persona 5.

It doesn't play like those games at all. It plays like Nier 1 but more polished.

e: there is a demo on the ps4 if you have one. Try that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also Revengeance's dodge is also an attack and while that's neat because it means it's not spammable forever, it really sucks because you just ricochet off and don't even complete the dodge if the enemy is blocking or armored or whatever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I feel like there is a constant pressure not to button mash, but the games are so fast that really button mashing is all you CAN do because there's not enough time to input combos on the fly like that. For me, at least. I'm sure there are some savants out there who can keep up with the games ez... but I noticed that Revengeance has a very large window for continuing a combo chain that you will never ever see because enemies attack and recover from being hit so drat fast.

In most Platinum games there are specific mechanics in play to slow things down for this reason. Bayonetta for example has Witch time which slows everything down and extends the window with which you have to act and respond. Revengence has parry and stuns and so-on which make enemies more vulnerable to lengthy combos. W101 heavily emphasizes air combos and such which leave enemies vulnerable to attacks. While higher difficulty modes may disable these most of them specifically have mechanics in play to give you more relaxed periods to attack.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Also Revengeance's dodge is also an attack and while that's neat because it means it's not spammable forever, it really sucks because you just ricochet off and don't even complete the dodge if the enemy is blocking or armored or whatever.

You're supposed to parry

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Platinum's style feels like it borrows a lot from 2d fighting games. The technicality of trying to dodge perfectly and remembering how different directions and sequences of buttons affects combo progression isn't something I enjoy. A lot of their games give you a ranking after each combat portion, and my rank is almost always guaranteed to be poo poo because I didn't manage to avoid getting hit ever while also taking every advantage to destroy enemies as quickly as possible. Trying to play through and game and having it pop up with a ranking reminding me how bad I am is thoroughly discouraging.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Platinum's style feels like it borrows a lot from 2d fighting games. The technicality of trying to dodge perfectly and remembering how different directions and sequences of buttons affects combo progression isn't something I enjoy. A lot of their games give you a ranking after each combat portion, and my rank is almost always guaranteed to be poo poo because I didn't manage to avoid getting hit ever while also taking every advantage to destroy enemies as quickly as possible. Trying to play through and game and having it pop up with a ranking reminding me how bad I am is thoroughly discouraging.

That's fair. To me a score is an encouragement to get better but I can see how it's the opposite.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I do like how witch time and dodge offset both show up in NA as optional late-game chips.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The learning curve means that you have to invest a sizable amount of time before you can really enjoy the combat. For instance you start having a lot more fun the moment you can reliably dodge offset, but before that revelation you are stuck doing normal attacks or attempting to cheese easy wicked weaves out.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I can understand that, but Platinum is like this generations' Treasure LTD., but with a slightly less than stellar record in comparison to the latter. I've always been attracted to flashy systems and mechanics developed wherein, as I can see that the developers consume the same kind of kinetic action media that I do, and they put it in their games for us all to enjoy. For instance, there's a ton of wushu with the polearm weapons in N:A and Revengeance, and I love that poo poo to death.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Help Im Alive posted:

You're supposed to parry

The parry system is also really annoying and bad :shrug:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

I think the only games I've played by Treasure are Gunstar Heroes and Mischief Makers. Neither of those seem very similar to Platinum games to me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Thanks for the info y'all. I never actually got around to the original NieR either so I'll have to go back and check that out too.

CJacobs posted:

The parry system is also really annoying and bad :shrug:
The parry system was the one part of Metal Gear Rising I actually was able to get behind. It was everything else that never quite clicked with me all the way.

tap my mountain posted:

Eh there's nothing wrong with disliking P* style combat, it's definitely more niche than Dark Souls style and there's plenty of reasons to dislike that.
What I liked about Dark Souls was how quickly battles would go. In something like Metal Gear Rising, even a basic enemy always felt like it took just a few too many hits to kill and it just made everything feel a bit tedious to me.

I admit that probably says more about my own lack of skill at that gameplay style.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I think the only games I've played by Treasure are Gunstar Heroes and Mischief Makers. Neither of those seem very similar to Platinum games to me.
No need to be willfully dense. They may not be the same mechanically, but they have a similar approach, as they have identifiable gameplay staples that give their titles a specific feel. They're also fans of their own games, and it shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91SPUK_kfVk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVBkdOTtgv0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUCA8p0RldE

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Regarding Platinum - I can admire all the work that goes into their combat systems perfectly well. They're well-designed, have plenty of depth to them, and are both fun and look amazing if you're good at them. Problem is I'm generally pretty bad at those kinds of games, which makes it hard to have too much fun. I've always meant to get back to and play enough of MGR to get good at it and enjoy myself properly, but other games keep coming along and getting in the way.

People can say 'get good' all they like but it can be hard to justify practicing a game I'm not good at so I can enjoy it more when there's plenty of other stuff I can just play instead for now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only comparison I would make between treasure and platinum is that they're both Japanese

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Joe Gillian posted:

No need to be willfully dense. They may not be the same mechanically, but they have a similar approach, as they have identifiable gameplay staples that give their titles a specific feel. They're also fans of their own games, and it shows.

I not being 'willfully dense', I don't know what you mean and you seem unnecessarily hostile about it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Raxivace posted:

The parry system was the one part of Metal Gear Rising I actually was able to get behind. It was everything else that never quite clicked with me all the way.

I would've very much preferred just using a button, like either O or Triangle or whatever button goes completely unused otherwise.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

The only comparison I would make between treasure and platinum is that they're both Japanese

Yeah. They are both demanding of a players skill i guess.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The comparison to 2D fighting games is pretty apt and actually explains why I like the Platinum combat so much, because in 2D fighting games they have to make everyone's moves "fair" and punishable, including your own. Platinum games are like playing a fighting game, except all your moves are unfair, you can dodge and block most of your enemies' moves without penalty, dodging makes you invincible, time slows down for you to react better, and enemies have only a handful of moves that are completely telegraphed and punishable

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah. They are both demanding of a players skill i guess.

They also take things from other genres and find cool ways to deepen gameplay in their own games. There's a lot to compare actually, but some of the comparisons are broad enough to encompass many more developers as well.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I am way better at fighters than platinum games (still terrible) because vs someone else makes me care about learning while in a single player game idgaf

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They both like to make bad shmups

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

In Training posted:

They both like to make bad shmups

Now you're just trying to piss people off.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Joe Gillian posted:

you might even say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TQYeKgbU6M

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I love the gameplay in Nier:A because I get to have the characters' fighting look sick as hell without having to actually be very good.

I adored Bayonetta, but in general i avoid those type of games because I am very bad at them. See: Ninja Gaiden, DMC etc.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Joe Gillian posted:

Nah, most hardcore shumup fans hate Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No true shumpsman.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Ninja Gaiden Black is better than any Platinum game ever made

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They can become more similar if Platinum makes a Castlevania... please?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

corn in the bible posted:

Ninja Gaiden Black is better than any Platinum game ever made

Maybe if the camera wasn't poo poo and if the game didn't love to throw ranged enemies at you. Or that might've been 2. Or both of them idk.

Phantasium posted:

They can become more similar if Platinum makes a Castlevania... please?

:agreed:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't know if I would ever call myself hardcore but my limited experience with the genre I don't like their version of shmups. Well I like Sin and Punishment but that's kind of it's own beast and fun for a different reason than I would play an actual shmup.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Hate is a bit of a strong word, but they are definitely overrated games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I thought I had played a Platinum game (Viewtiful Joe 2) but looking it up, that was Clover. So I've never played a Platinum game, they don't appeal to me, I only like old man games

• Locked thread