Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Legion is the least comic booky comic book property I've ever seen. It's more of a detailed study of the experience of living with and confronting mental illness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Michael Corleone posted:

So, the person that said the Trailer Park Boys suck now to me was kind of right. I binged the whole new season on Friday and it really was not that good at all.

Was there a season after the Private Dancer one? Cuz I liked that season actually.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Pss.

You.

Hey you.

TPB have always sucked.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Pss.

You.

Hey you.

TPB have always sucked.

Actually no, it is you that sucks.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pss.

You.

Hey you.

TPB have always sucked.

Correct answer

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

The Netflix Original Series "Captive" is a really good documentary series. I recommend it highly.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Trailer for The Discovery had me going in expecting something like The Leftovers with a scifi/ghost horror added deal. Ended up feeling closer to something like Source Code to me. I liked it.

e:

God Hole posted:

I enjoyed it in spite of its glaring flaws.
Pretty much. Scratched the itch I was trying to scratch despite being kind of a mess.

eighty-four merc fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 3, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Even though Season 1 was borderline unwatchable I feel like my lizard brain is going to make me watch fear the Walking Dead season 2. I'm guessing it does not get better?

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Nope, it doesn't get better. The acting is consistent but I just don't like the plot. What's the payoff? It also barely changes over multiple seasons. It's just constant death and backstabbing. If that's your thing, go for it.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Pss.

You.

Hey you.

TPB have always sucked.

Trade paperbacks are a great way for casual fans to catch up with past arcs

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Was there a season after the Private Dancer one? Cuz I liked that season actually.

This one they were growing a ton of weed to make a weed drink or something for Snoop Dog.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

veni veni veni posted:

Just finished BCS season 2 and holy crap gently caress Chuck.

Season 3 next weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek :dance:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Did anyone else watch the Amazon pilot Oasis? It's a decent-seeming sci-fi show reminiscent of Solaris about people working on an attempt to build a colony on the other planet, where strange things have been happening.

However, one thing really annoyed me: the planet is apparently "on the other side of the galaxy" and yet the show doesn't give any indication that humanity has any technology beyond what we currently have. The protagonist just gets on a modern-looking rocket, is given something to put him to sleep, and wakes up on the planet. The colony apparently has more-or-less real-time communication with Earth so they must have at least FTL travel and probably some FTL communication device but they literally don't even mention this. It may be not that important to the story but I feel like they could have handled this better.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Definitely gonna catch poo poo for this but i don't care. Independence Day 2 is on hbogo and i watched it last night and i loved it.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
How drunk were you?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Definitely gonna catch poo poo for this but i don't care. Independence Day 2 is on hbogo and i watched it last night and i loved it.

Nah my wife and I saw it in theater and liked it just fine. Way better than the original.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Saw Train to Busan over the weekend and it was... fine? Probably one of the better generic zombie movies on Netflix - not sure where the effusive praise was coming from but it was ok.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
For a while I confused Trailer Park Boys with the Blue Collar Comedy Tour and I was so confused as to why goons enjoyed it so much

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I felt the same.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
TPB was really great when they were three talented comedians who were excellent at character work.

Seeing them out of "character" and basically being the same really killed the joy of the show.

Seasons 2-5 are solid.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Is this season better than last season? Last season was p bad imo, hated the celebrity stuff.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Franchescanado posted:

TPB was really great when they were three talented comedians who were excellent at character work.

Seeing them out of "character" and basically being the same really killed the joy of the show.

Seasons 2-5 are solid.
The first of the Netflix seasons (S8) was really good; at the very least better than the last couple that came before it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's really just seasons 10 and 11 that are bad, and they're really bad.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Bored As gently caress posted:

How drunk were you?

I wasn't drunk but i had an entire box of girl scout cookies :coal:. Honestly i was shocked at how they didn't phone the whole thing in. I thought they would just do a stupid soft reboot type thing, and although many elements were the same (just bigger alien ships essentially) they shocked me by showing how much the world changed over the 20 years between movies. It was actually interesting. Goldblum was goldblooming like crazy too.

edit
I forgot to mention i also watched some amazing chinese propaganda on hbogo called Dragon Blade. I only watched it because the casting was shades of uwe boll in that they just threw a dart with a list of hollywood celebrities and hilariously landed on john cusack and adrian brody.

Hackers film 1995 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 3, 2017

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

veni veni veni posted:

Even though Season 1 was borderline unwatchable I feel like my lizard brain is going to make me watch fear the Walking Dead season 2. I'm guessing it does not get better?

The only way the show could redeem itself is if everyone dies except for Black Machiavelli and Young Johnny Depp, and maybe South American Torturer Dad if he's still alive, and he's probably alive because in TWD if you aren't shown literally having your guts ripped out you'll probably survive because of plot armor and even then it might be a fakeout and you're actually hiding under a dumpster with 4" of ground clearance

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Amazon pilot for Oasis is basically a film, 90 minutes and nearly self contained to an extent, and it's extremely good. It's spooky Sci Fi

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I won't say I loved it but I think it was way undersold by most of the major reviews I read. The cast is mostly decent, and Goldblum isn't around for a glorified cameo, he's carrying the movie on his back as he usually does. I will also admit that the big finale tapped directly into my inner 12 year old and I'm glad they didn't hold back from going with an idea that could have easily been dismissed as too goofy. In all honesty that scene was probably one of the better kaiju scenes from the past several years.

I was moderately drunk though. Not wasted but pretty loose, I suppose that probably did help.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Filthy Hans posted:

The only way the show could redeem itself is if everyone dies except for Black Machiavelli and Young Johnny Depp, and maybe South American Torturer Dad if he's still alive, and he's probably alive because in TWD if you aren't shown literally having your guts ripped out you'll probably survive because of plot armor and even then it might be a fakeout and you're actually hiding under a dumpster with 4" of ground clearance

Torture dad might be one of my least favorite characters in any fictional work.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
All these WWII propaganda documentaries own. I was actually surprised how most of them don't seem that dated in terms of presentation and messaging.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Of the ones I've seen, Let There Be Light is the best.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Oooo is that one on Netflix right now? I've been meaning to watch it for a while.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

OldTennisCourt posted:

Hi there this show about a woman dealing with abuse and PTSD focuses too much on her dealing with those issues. I'd prefer she fire laser beams and sing songs and fight villains. Also that bitch needs to smile more

I didn't want to deal with that in fiction, as I deal with it too much in day to day life so I just didn't watch or comment on it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

That's the one that The Master lifts from, right?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

Yeah, good call. I don't even think I put that together.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

morestuff posted:

Can you elaborate on this?

Is it about loving sand-castle women?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Franchescanado posted:

Can you elaborate on this?

Is it about loving sand-castle women?

https://vimeo.com/149535045

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Five Came Back seems like an attempt to trick people into thinking the directors interviewed were involved creatively

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Hat Thoughts posted:

Five Came Back seems like an attempt to trick people into thinking the directors interviewed were involved creatively

I really liked it. I don't understand your criticism though

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mr. F! posted:

I really liked it. I don't understand your criticism though

Seems like the kind of thing where Vince Vaughn would star as a cigar chompin' John Ford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Seems like the kind of thing where Vince Vaughn would star as a cigar chompin' John Ford.

They don't have any dramatization it's all interviews and footage from the movies the guys made.

Mr. F! fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 3, 2017