Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

howe_sam posted:

Stacked celluloid is one of my favorite materials.

If I could get some of those fancy Viscontis with stacked celluloid I would. Stacked celluloid is beautiful. (I think spending my time waiting for user-grade but functioning Vacumatics is a better use of my time/money, though.)

Vacumatics are fantastic pens-- easily my favorite filling system. It's my least favorite to clean, by far, to the point where I want to take a hair dryer to the section sealant and see if I can get it loose, then just use silicone instead after I've scrubbed it out.

But I've found a good ink for this pen (J. Herbin Poussière de Lune, as I'm out of Lie de Thé), so it should be a while before I want to switch colors and it needs a thorough cleaning instead of just a flush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
God, all the broken Lamy 2000 nib talk recently has jinxed me - I dropped mine while cleaning it and now the nib's bent.

It's a custom cursive italic/stub grind so I can't just replace it. Going to have to send it away for repair and hope it comes out okay; it's my favourite pen and my daily writer so I'm seriously bummed out by this.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
That's it, I'm taking all of your pens away for safekeeping and you can have them back when you prove you can handle them. Please mail them to this address:

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Well on a more positive note than all these broke 2000s, a post in this thread got me thinking about cheap Parker 45s and a bit of late night ebaying later, I got one.

Nothing fancy, just a plastic barrel with gold trim and a steel nib, but it writes well and I love tiny and cute pens. Though it also came with some blue-black quink and that took an eternity to clean out.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
everybody itt needs a wrist strap for their pens like a wiimote

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Attention FP Thread Posters:

If you want to play darts, please buy a set of darts. A fountain pen is a poor and expensive alternative.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

grack posted:

If you want to play darts, please buy a set of darts. A fountain pen is a poor and expensive alternative.

Counterpoint: still a poor alternative, but not expensive

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I've had my 2000 for 15 years. I've never dropped it, but it was in my pocket when I was in a car wreck, and that one accident has led to me sending the pen in for repair multiple times, the last time to get the piston replaced (a hairline crack got worse and the piston froze). Now the only original parts of my pen are the nib and the cap.

It's still one of my favorites.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

grack posted:

well... Lamy 2000's are actually a cheaper alternative it would seem.. Good for only one throw tho.
https://www.amazon.com/Bottelsen-Hammer-Tungsten-Precision-Diameter/dp/B018RPFVBC

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

vkeios posted:

Well on a more positive note than all these broke 2000s, a post in this thread got me thinking about cheap Parker 45s and a bit of late night ebaying later, I got one.

Nothing fancy, just a plastic barrel with gold trim and a steel nib, but it writes well and I love tiny and cute pens. Though it also came with some blue-black quink and that took an eternity to clean out.

I should take the time to learn about ye olde Parkers. Is it just the Vacumatics that have those scary bladder/sac systems that always seem to be rotted out? I've gathered that 45s and the like can use modern Parker converters?

(Guess it's time for some YouTube videos and wiki pages. :sweatdrop:)

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 2, 2017

grack
Jan 10, 2012

45s can use modern Parker converters and cartridges, but if you can get one of the original squeeze converters they have a very large capacity.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I would like a notebook cover that has this kind of internal storage for just whatever the gently caress. This is A5 sized, and it's cool and all but it's embossed with gamer poo poo all over it.

Where can I get something like this that isn't gamerized

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

signalnoise posted:

I would like a notebook cover that has this kind of internal storage for just whatever the gently caress. This is A5 sized, and it's cool and all but it's embossed with gamer poo poo all over it.

I'd get one custom ordered from Allegory Leather, they're based in Chicago. You'll spend about $100 on it as a custom with them, but you'll have it in about 3 weeks and it'll be high quality materials and craftsmanship. I have one stock A5 cover and another custom cover from them and they're fantastic.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Hi - sorry to break the killstreak but I just cleaned my Lamy 2000 and did not destroy the nib. Awaiting my goulet package to try out some noodlers samplers.

Also re: stub talk earlier. I have a 1.1mm TWSBI stub (on the Eco) that I am very fond of. I've been using it for notes at work. Makes me feel like I actually have fancy handwriting. Writes very smoothly too - "forgiving" like a broad but can lay down a precise line too.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

signalnoise posted:

I use a Lihit Labs smart cover, and it holds 1 pen, 2 notebooks and a 5-pack of markers.

https://www.jetpens.com/Lihit-Lab-Smart-Fit-Cover-Notebooks/ct/1831

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm using one of these in the A5 size. It hold a lot more than you'd expect, I have to carry two phones and put one in each outside pocket plus the small stuff I keep inside like cards, blotting paper, some stickers, etc. (in addition to the two notepads it holds). I usually have 2 pens as well, one in the loop and one clipped to the outer pocket.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I use a Lihit Labs smart cover, and it holds 1 pen, 2 notebooks and a 5-pack of markers.

https://www.jetpens.com/Lihit-Lab-Smart-Fit-Cover-Notebooks/ct/1831

I have one of these too, and it's my favorite notebook cover. The storage wasn't a big selling point for me, though; some days I daydream about taking a seam ripper to that bulky front flap. My notebook would lie flatter without it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Got my Musubi today. It is good!

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I received me goulet shipment. I ordered a noodlers ink sampler kit. I read somewhere on this very forum that inks were a blackhole. I now understand. I should not have ordered that sampler kit. Been researching inks all morning and abusing my poor Metro nib with repeated dipping and cleaning.

My inks - ranked. The Noodlers are samples so I haven't spent much time with them but I'm gonna be CRAZY and rank em anyway:
1. Pelikan Edelstein Smoky Quartz. It's the 2017 color of the year. It's brown and kind of expensive at ~$30 for a small bottle but I really like it.
2. Noodlers Black Swan in Australian Roses
3. Kon Peki
4. Noodlers 54th Massachusetts
5. Diamine Oxblood
6. Noodlers Black
7. Syo-Ro
8. Lamy Pacific Blue (Cartridges)
9. Fuyu-Syogun
10. Noodlers Liberty Elysium
11. Noodlers Apache Sunset
12. Noodlers Heart of Darkness
13. Noodlers Navajo Turquiose
14. Noodlers Lexington Gray
15. Mont Blanc boring rear end blue

The top ranks could probably move a bit depending on my mood that day. Tell me why you disagree. COME AT ME!

Also picked up a Leuchtturm notebook A4-oversize. I overlooked the oversize bit when I ordered. This thing is gigantic. Not sure if I'll really be able to use it for meetings.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

If you're going to go for an oversize notebook, the best one in the market is probably the Midori MD Cotton A4 Oversize. That paper is genuinely fun.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Lowness 72 posted:

I received me goulet shipment. I ordered a noodlers ink sampler kit. I read somewhere on this very forum that inks were a blackhole. I now understand. I should not have ordered that sampler kit. Been researching inks all morning and abusing my poor Metro nib with repeated dipping and cleaning.

My inks - ranked. The Noodlers are samples so I haven't spent much time with them but I'm gonna be CRAZY and rank em anyway:
1. Pelikan Edelstein Smoky Quartz. It's the 2017 color of the year. It's brown and kind of expensive at ~$30 for a small bottle but I really like it.
3. Kon Peki
4. Noodlers 54th Massachusetts
5. Diamine Oxblood
6. Noodlers Black
7. Syo-Ro
8. Lamy Pacific Blue (Cartridges)
9. Fuyu-Syogun
10. Noodlers Liberty Elysium
12. Noodlers Heart of Darkness
14. Noodlers Lexington Gray
15. Mont Blanc boring rear end blue

The top ranks could probably move a bit depending on my mood that day. Tell me why you disagree. COME AT ME!

Also picked up a Leuchtturm notebook A4-oversize. I overlooked the oversize bit when I ordered. This thing is gigantic. Not sure if I'll really be able to use it for meetings.

You've got 3 of my favorites up there! (2, 5, and 13) I can't disagree, only suggest giving Navajo Turquoise a try in a nib with some flex on Tomoe River. Amazing. I think it i's ranked appropriately for usual conditions, though.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Kessel posted:

If you're going to go for an oversize notebook, the best one in the market is probably the Midori MD Cotton A4 Oversize. That paper is genuinely fun.

I was mainly looking for that pocket in the back. I otherwise have been using 5 star one subject notebooks because it has a pocket and a plastic cover.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Lowness 72 posted:

5. Diamine Oxblood

That's fine tastes you have there! I left the ones I own and I have to say they are all favorites of mine! And about Navajo Turquoise:
Finally got my Lamy 2000 from amazon and the nib seems FINE! In that it is not damaged in any ways. It is, indeed, my extra fine and this one compared to the other two I have had lays down a very thin line.

I inked it with Noodler's Navajo Turquoise and it is such a perfect match of inks/pen I do not think I'll ever try something else. Unless the ink fails me (creeps or something).

First couple of lines of text the nib felt a little scratchy but now it is beginning to be veeeeeery smooth.

I have 10 or 30 days with amazon to evaluate the pen. If it turns out not good (looking at it with my loupe one tine is a little hum.... well what causes baby bottoms. its level and every thing but ever so slightly rotated towards the exterior. 1/10th mm there. Almost nothing.

if I end up returning it that's it for this pen. I'll buy something else.

Pretty proud I resisted the urge to send the first Lamy (the one I dropped) to amazon when I returned the second one (first bought). But I'm a good boy now..

Still have to find what to do with a perfectly good Lamy 2000 without a nib. I'll try to hunt down a good deal on a vintage pen with compatible nibs like the Lamy 26p I think or something like that there is a list somewhere.

Or well I guess I have everything in spare but the nib. Which is also pretty cool just expensive.

Oh well! I can finally start my catering notebook in my first Musubi notebook. The cover got better but never perfect. I did not try to bend it myself and it is dry as hell here. I don't care much and expect it to get better when I start opening it and using it. Especially in more humid weathers.

Speaking of that I never got an answer when I asked what to do with the second notebook. I offered to return it/pay for it/keep it.

If I still don't get an answer I'll PYF to my mom for her "take notes of weather and birds migration" on my parents estate up north in the woods. She's done that all her life in cheap notebooks. And we have a ton of dragonflies and love these guy's so the design is perfect.

About the dragonflies. I am not joking I want to tell this story. Well, not a story but you'll see.

In the 41 years I have had the privilege of going at this magical place in nature I have witnessed a phenomena maybe 5 times. You see, we have a lot of mosquitoes in june and early july there. Very humid lots of stale water. It becomes infernal (some years much more then others like with every other critter there). Except for 5 very special evenings where, being bitin constantly by mosquitoes (2-3 bites at any moment on exposed skin non stop), hundreds or thousands of dragonfly fill the air around us and start picking off the fuckers. Even going as far as picking some off our faces/ arms whatever. We spread our arms and just let the dragonfly's buzz around us like F18 jets eating our common enemy. I have zero superstition or anything resembling mythical beliefs but I can see a "magical" feeric moment when I see one. Hope my boy gets to experience it too one day.

We love those guys. The notebooks are just the perfect thing.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 3, 2017

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Go ahead and keep it. It sounds like it went to a very good home anyway.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Navajo Turquoise is one of the top Noodler's inks for consistency and good behavior, as well as being one of the shadingest. It's my Kon-Peki alternative, being a little more electric blue than the cerulean of KP.

Also I'm going to talk up English Roses again because it's underrated as hell. It's the kind of ink you write love poems in. It just takes its sweet time drying.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Whats the best option for a cheap fude nib pen?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Aren't the only options that aren't $Texas "random Jinhao, labeled as something bizzare" and those Sailor Fudes?

Can't say I've used either, but I'd be inclined to go for one of the Sailor ones.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Duke has a couple of pens with fude-type nibs, but with an extra plate on top for more inkflow.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
My Pilot Cavalier seems to be leaking around where the nib meets the pen, what could it be and how do I stop it? It still writes perfectly and the seepage is quite low volume, just enough to stain my fingers. It's about 18 months old and sees regular use.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I suppose my issue with the "brighter" inks is that I'm mainly using these in a business setting. A bright electric blue is a little out of place. In fact, Kon Peki may be just on the verge of too much.

Speaking of inks, Noodlers 54th made me remember how much I like a good blue-black ink. Anyone have a favorite blue-black? A good, solid color to use at work?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I use Bad Belted Kingfisher. It's more of a dark blue than a blue black but it's respectable.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Lowness 72 posted:

Speaking of inks, Noodlers 54th made me remember how much I like a good blue-black ink. Anyone have a favorite blue-black? A good, solid color to use at work?

I might be the only person who loves Noodler's Midnight Blue. It's a beautiful, subtle, smoky, dark blue-black. It's really dark, though. Like, if the lighting's not great, you could easily mistake it for black, until you saw it side-by-side with an actual black.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

For blue-black inks I will forever sing the praises of Fuyu-shogun, the steely blue-grey that is stately enough for work and alive enough to fill one's heart with joy.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

It's here!!! It's here!!!

edit: also got my seven seas notebook. Wow! the quality of these is insane!

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 4, 2017

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Kessel posted:

For blue-black inks I will forever sing the praises of Fuyu-shogun, the steely blue-grey that is stately enough for work and alive enough to fill one's heart with joy.

You mean FUYU-SYOGUN - OLD MAN WINTER?

I have that ink. I found that it was pretty gray. I like it alot but wish it was a bit darker.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Lowness 72 posted:

I suppose my issue with the "brighter" inks is that I'm mainly using these in a business setting. A bright electric blue is a little out of place. In fact, Kon Peki may be just on the verge of too much.

Noodler's Blue-Black, but diluted to 50% strength. The black part is bulletproof but the blue part isn't. It's such a lovely deep but shady color at this strength. It's all I use at work.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Man, I love KWZ Honey as a color, but two rinses and four fills of another ink later and my Divina still smells like sugar.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

atholbrose posted:

Man, I love KWZ Honey as a color, but two rinses and four fills of another ink later and my Divina still smells like sugar.

Sounds lovely, to be honest.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
yeah I have a couple of pens that smelling like sugar would be a big improvement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Cirofren posted:

My Pilot Cavalier seems to be leaking around where the nib meets the pen, what could it be and how do I stop it? It still writes perfectly and the seepage is quite low volume, just enough to stain my fingers. It's about 18 months old and sees regular use.

See if you can push the nib and feed back in to the pen a bit, it may have come loose. Otherwise empty it, give it a very thorough cleaning and check for cracks/leaks.