Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Remember my pathetic mewling about how I no longer enjoyed biking? I'm cured. The remedy? Had to go somewhere for work, on the way back I found myself on the M25 (and that proves what a dark place I was in, I jumped on there rather than going through town). Decided to stop for a drink, came off the exit, and into this.

Look at that. Just loving look at that. On-camber, brand new tarmac, and sightlines so clear you can actually see God himself smiling down upon you. Then the exit - 270 degrees of proof that life is worth living. Then I remembered as I left that the next two junctions were the Leatherhead High-Speed Testing Ground - off the M25, round the roundabout, dash down the A-road to the next junction, round and back to the first one, then back out onto the M25) and the Old Brighton Road roundabout which is where i first got my knee down, then a dozen or so miles of quiet B-roads before entering London through the back door (fnarr) before getting back to work an hour late but ten years younger.

I know this isn't the Pacific Coast Highway or the Bonnette Pass but holy poo poo I needed that reminder of just how much loving fun biking could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Bonnette Pass but holy poo poo I needed that reminder of just how much loving fun biking could be.

Holy poo poo I need to ride this road, watching an M3 CSL drive a bit of it now.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Fanelien posted:

Holy poo poo I need to ride this road, watching an M3 CSL drive a bit of it now.

I know, right? Also check out the Little St. Bernard Pass, although you really need Matt Munro along with you for the ride:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgJuVOrXv68

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Remember my pathetic mewling about how I no longer enjoyed biking? I'm cured. The remedy? Had to go somewhere for work, on the way back I found myself on the M25 (and that proves what a dark place I was in, I jumped on there rather than going through town). Decided to stop for a drink, came off the exit, and into this.

Look at that. Just loving look at that. On-camber, brand new tarmac, and sightlines so clear you can actually see God himself smiling down upon you. Then the exit - 270 degrees of proof that life is worth living. Then I remembered as I left that the next two junctions were the Leatherhead High-Speed Testing Ground - off the M25, round the roundabout, dash down the A-road to the next junction, round and back to the first one, then back out onto the M25) and the Old Brighton Road roundabout which is where i first got my knee down, then a dozen or so miles of quiet B-roads before entering London through the back door (fnarr) before getting back to work an hour late but ten years younger.

I know this isn't the Pacific Coast Highway or the Bonnette Pass but holy poo poo I needed that reminder of just how much loving fun biking could be.

I felt this way on Thursday after riding to the Carrizo Plain to see the wildflowers in bloom. 15.5 hours on the bike and was glad to be home but sad it was all over when I got there.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Update on my cousin who cleaned the chain with the bike running: he lost the tip of his right index finger down to the first knuckle.

Be smart kids.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This is the same guy who bought a GSXR as his first bike and immediately started talking about trading up to a Hayabusa, right?

Sigh. You always hope humanity is getting better but there's no supply of dumbasses (no -- well, only a little -- offense intended to your cousin)

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

This is the same guy who bought a GSXR as his first bike and immediately started talking about trading up to a Hayabusa, right?

Sigh. You always hope humanity is getting better but there's no supply of dumbasses (no -- well, only a little -- offense intended to your cousin)

Same kid. I'm hoping he learns from this not to be stupid but he's still pretty young and has now migrated to constantly posting about sport bikes on Facebook while he recovers so my hope is pretty low.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm so glad I waited until most of my stupidity abated before I got in to bikes. I'd probably have been like that corvette prick, had started in my early 20's.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Remember my pathetic mewling commiserating twisto's lack of enjoyment for riding?
Well today I got my bike out for the first time this season. Getting on the bike again and riding up out of the parking garage felt great. Also it was the best part of the ride because there were no traffic lights and no sunny sunday traffic clogging up the roads etc. etc.etc. Ok so the one on-ramp was pretty ok for all of 5 seconds, but unfortunately I don't have the Surrey Hills and North and South Downs on my doorstep like I used to and I loving hate it here.
I can probably get about $3500ish for my bike, which would pay for about 20 days of Duke 690 rental out in Calgary, so I could spend the summer riding actual foothills and mountains with my buddy out there.
This sounds like a reasonable plan to me.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Finger Prince posted:

Remember my pathetic mewling commiserating twisto's lack of enjoyment for riding?
Well today I got my bike out for the first time this season. Getting on the bike again and riding up out of the parking garage felt great. Also it was the best part of the ride because there were no traffic lights and no sunny sunday traffic clogging up the roads etc. etc.etc. Ok so the one on-ramp was pretty ok for all of 5 seconds, but unfortunately I don't have the Surrey Hills and North and South Downs on my doorstep like I used to and I loving hate it here.
I can probably get about $3500ish for my bike, which would pay for about 20 days of Duke 690 rental out in Calgary, so I could spend the summer riding actual foothills and mountains with my buddy out there.

What about trials? Don't you have a ton of that in the U.K.?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

builds character posted:

What about trials? Don't you have a ton of that in the U.K.?

I live in Toronto now.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I've still been riding every day, putting on hundreds of miles a week. Fast approaching 4k for the year already.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Finger Prince posted:

I live in Toronto now.

http://www.rallyconnex.com/paulbolton.html

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Hmm, Hard Enduro eh? How much does a Hard Enduro bike cost I wonder?
*checks autotrader*
HOW loving MUCH??!
:vince:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Finger Prince posted:

*checks autotrader*
HOW loving MUCH??!

Don't worry, they're Canadian dollars.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

*checks autotrader*
HOW loving MUCH??!

Hard Enduro does indeed sound like something that costs a lot of money and involves a lot of mess, but I'd have thought it involved basements.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
So like, Hard Gay but muddy?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

So like, Hard Gay but muddy?

Don't google "hardsports". Also don't ask me how I know not to google it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Getting into Hard Enduro, anyone got a tip (just the tip) for how to get more power out of my bottom *ahem* end?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
If you're looking for a tip, just to see how it feels, you'll never get a real power bottom (end). Gotta make sure you're getting the full stroke. Pays to get a full flush through the system first if you're really going to be digging around in there, too.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Split that guy's MT250 motor apart, called it on the crank seals. Both dissolved. It's always crank seals. Think it's carb? Crank seals. Think it's ignition? Crank seals. Think it's crank seals? CRANK SEALS

edit: :kheldragar:

Yerok fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 4, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

2T crank seal issues :smithicide:

Everyone wants you to fix the problem but noone wants to accept that the engine has to come apart.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I would like to get back to doing more 2T stuff for people that shell out for rebuilds and sweet parts.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

But it's a Dirt Bike what do you mean it's sensitive?

Why would you rebuild it it's only five years old!

But I run synthetic oil!

Why would I change the gear oil that's, like, expensive!

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Finger Prince posted:

Move to Australia, we have lots of riding roads.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Fanelien posted:

Move to Australia, we have lots of riding roads.

It's in consideration once my partner has finished her nursing degree, because that would be our ticket in. British Columbia is plan A though. I've been around the montville/maleny area, plus up to lamington a couple of times. Glorious riding roads. Next time we visit I'd like to check out the south.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Quote/=edit

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Ride in dirt.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

2T crank seal issues :smithicide:

Everyone wants you to fix the problem but noone wants to accept that the engine has to come apart.

Lmao at having to split the cases for crank seals. Suzuki supremacy :dukedog:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

It's in consideration once my partner has finished her nursing degree, because that would be our ticket in. British Columbia is plan A though. I've been around the montville/maleny area, plus up to lamington a couple of times. Glorious riding roads. Next time we visit I'd like to check out the south.

You know your life plan of "steadily move further and further away from Britain" would seem to have a lot of merit about now.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You know your life plan of "steadily move further and further away from Britain" would seem to have a lot of merit about now.

The first rat off the ship. It was a good ship and I miss my rat-hole, but now that I see how the officers managed to convince the rubes in steerage that they knew a totally safe shortcut through the icebergs, I'm a bit relieved I'm no longer on board.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lmao at having to split the cases for crank seals. Suzuki supremacy :dukedog:

This old rear end Honda has the LH seal accessible after you pull the flywheel and stator plate, but the RH seal is on the wrong side of the crank bearing. :iiam:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yerok posted:

This old rear end Honda has the LH seal accessible after you pull the flywheel and stator plate, but the RH seal is on the wrong side of the crank bearing. :iiam:

But that crank bearing will never fail cause it's in gear oil! Reliability!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The other way around would still have it exposed to injected (or premixed) oil.

To reiterate: Suzuki supremacy :dukedog:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Yerok posted:

Crank seals. Think it's crank seals? CRANK SEALS
I had an interesting experience recently with my Motobecane moped where I rebuilt the motor and put the new crank seals in backwards. The seals are a funny size and the cases are a funny design where the seal is invisible from the outside and I missed which way they were supposed to go. But I never would have expected it actually mattered. Didn't think there's enough air pressure going in and out of the bottom end that it would affect the sealing either way they're installed. Especially on a low tech low performance motor like that. But no, it did matter, in fact the bike would never run right for more than 45 seconds. Rebuilt again, installed seals the right way, runs great.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I did a no-no. I passed two motorcyclists in their own lanes today. gently caress them. One had some hipster trash bike with a peashooter exhaust that- with earplugs in- was assaulting my hearing. When the gap between cars was less than five feet wide he would sit in the gap and Rev his lovely little engine, making my eyes cross in frustration and pain.

The other was a squid doing the same thing, except he would also put his helmet up to windows while cranking on his throttle like some Mad-Max-fiend. He kept trying to intimidate people who didn't pull to the shoulder immediately. 140 pounds of man in a black polo shirt, flexing and glaring at SUVs. :cripes: the worst thing about any hobby is always the other people who participate in it.

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Something about motorbikes just tends to attract douchebags... What could it possibly be?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

pokie posted:

Something about motorbikes just tends to attract douchebags... What could it possibly be?

*awkwardly fumbles with gauntlets for a minute before slowly unfastening my helmet, removing it, and taking out my earplugs. My hair is a mess and I have weird lines on my forehead from my helmet.* the chicks, man. :wmwink:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Chichevache posted:

*awkwardly fumbles with gauntlets for a minute before slowly unfastening my helmet, removing it, and taking out my earplugs. My hair is a mess and I have weird lines on my forehead from my helmet.* the chicks, man. :wmwink:

Wouldn't have met my girlfriend if not for my bike, so yeah, unironically this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I had a girl leave a note on my bike with her number. It has to be the best thing that ever happened to me ever.