Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Concerned Citizen posted:

i knew she got the questions, never guessed she'd get the answers too

MYbe next time have honest people at the helm of your political operation, i dunno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Wasn't that what Clinton's message specifically was? I'd even feel safe betting that someone in her campaign used Hermione as a reference when shaping her image.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
more like democrazy!!!!

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MizPiz posted:

Wasn't that what Clinton's message specifically was? I'd even feel safe betting that someone in her campaign used Hermione as a reference when shaping her image.

i think they mixed up whoever hermione is with margaret from dennis the menace

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

logikv9 posted:

nuclear the options

https://youtu.be/yc6OeFmcJ0g

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
https://twitter.com/samfbiddle/status/848995976962613248

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

CrumFUNist! posted:

like how Cornel West of all people was called an uncle tom for backing Bernie and then not backing Hillary

and for not standing in complete solidarity with the most powerful black man in the world.

goddamn the cornel hate got really hilarious.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Who is he speaking for when he says "we?"

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Who is he speaking for when he says "we?"

you, specifically, and your insatiable thirst for "teen juice"

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

mormonpartyboat posted:

dire

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Bernie juice Bernie juice Bernie juice

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Bernie juice

the street name for maple syrup got weird

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/JamesPindell/status/849001678540066818

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mormonpartyboat posted:

drat, I can't believe Sam Biddle doxxed me.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
if you get the answer right on the money you win twelve extra delegates

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
but if your answer goes over then you win nothing

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

mormonpartyboat posted:

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

drat, I can't believe Sam Biddle doxxed me.

you're peter thiel?

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 22:27 on Apr 3, 2017

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Oh Snapple! posted:

the street name for maple syrup got weird

its vape juice that tastes like maple syrup and khakis

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Oh Snapple! posted:

and for not standing in complete solidarity with the most powerful black man in the world.

goddamn the cornel hate got really hilarious.

it's weird how tavis smiley mostly flew under the radar despite being equally critical of obama and practically joined at the hip with west

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Oh Snapple! posted:

Article in question, for the record.
Essentially it boils down to being the same thing that happens whenever someone offers a differing minority perspective that goes against the centrist grain: It gets completely ignored, because it's extremely important to maintain a particular narrative about who supports who and why. Finding out that the person you're arguing with has had their opinion informed by the perspective and writing of a POC also suddenly puts some folks on the back foot due to the way they had previously been arguing.

I've seen that article be the cause of this so many loving times.

First time reading that article. After growing up in a rich white suburb during the Clinton presidency, I appreciate different perspectives.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

The Muppets On PCP posted:

it's weird how tavis smiley mostly flew under the radar despite being equally critical of obama and practically joined at the hip with west

have you tried being upset at tavis smiley? not possible. can't stop grinning at the man

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The Muppets On PCP posted:

He's easier to ignore because unlike West he isn't a college professor at an elite university. A lot of the hate of West comes down to "we let you into the club/it worked out for you and this is how you show your thanks?"

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Shear Modulus posted:

He's easier to ignore because unlike West he isn't a college professor at an elite university. A lot of the hate of West comes down to "we let you into the club/it worked out for you and this is how you show your thanks?"

not sure who's more irrelevant here- a divinity school prof or a late night pbs talk show host

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Cornel West posted:

Brother Martin O'Malley, he says a lot of good things, we've got overlap. That's a wonderful thing. I just don't know how long it's gonna take for him to get the traction that he needs. But I love the overlap, I love the energy, I think he's over there - give it up for Brother Martin. He's got a wonderful heart.

quote:

Sgt. Louis Hopson, now a thirty-five-year BPD veteran, recalls that when O’Malley entered office, “His whole philosophy on reducing crime was making arrests.” He pressured commanders to impose heavy arrest quotas, and officers who logged the most arrests tended to be promoted. The reasoning was that if the police handcuffed enough people, eventually they’d sift out the truly dangerous ones.

In preparation for Wednesday and Thursday statistics meetings, officers instituted “Jump Out Tuesdays,” where they’d arrest clusters of inner-city residents for no reason at all. They could always cite laws against loitering or disorderly conduct if they were pressed for a reason, but by and large, David Rocah, an attorney for Maryland’s chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) told me, their superiors never even required them to establish a credible basis for detention. In the paperwork for releasing defendants from jail, the department even added a check-box for “no probable cause.”

At the height of this practice, in 2005, Baltimore logged more than 108,400 arrests — equivalent to a sixth of the city’s population. The following year, the ACLU and the NAACP sued the city, alleging a pattern of illegal arrests. In a 2010 settlement, the city paid out $870,000, agreed to retrain officers, and publicly rejected zero-tolerance policing.

he has a wonderful heart

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

i love that the democrats are such a great party that our bench for 2020 is corey booker and 2 dudes pushing 80

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i love that the democrats are such a great party that our bench for 2020 is corey booker and 2 dudes pushing 80

you're forgetting someone

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

buttigeig gettin real old real fast

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

loquacius posted:

Clicked for a while through the thread which I'm guessing you were talking about; wasn't able to find the link but I was able to find a bunch of Fulchrum posts

I de-ignored Fulchrum when I actually thought we were going to unite post-election; man was that ever a bad idea

Speaking of which, he just went Full Fulchrum.

Fullchrum.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Article in question, for the record.
Essentially it boils down to being the same thing that happens whenever someone offers a differing minority perspective that goes against the centrist grain: It gets completely ignored, because it's extremely important to maintain a particular narrative about who supports who and why. Finding out that the person you're arguing with has had their opinion informed by the perspective and writing of a POC also suddenly puts some folks on the back foot due to the way they had previously been arguing.

I've seen that article be the cause of this so many loving times.

A wise forums elder once said: treat every poster as well as you would a poc, and you'll never be embarrassed.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i hear you're having problems. well, i have someone i'd like you to meet. he's here to help.

he's a good listener

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
and if you need a man to save the democratic party, why not pick a man that's super?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

how could i forget about this

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

If the Democrats truly must run a centrist in 2020 I would rather Kirsten Gillibrand over Booker

2020 doesn't matter at this point, anyway, just need to win 2018 resoundingly first

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

SKULL.GIF posted:

If the Democrats truly must run a centrist in 2020 I would rather Kirsten Gillibrand over Booker

2020 doesn't matter at this point, anyway, just need to win 2018 resoundingly first

Roy Cooper is the best centrist choice.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I've said it before and I'll say it again: as far back as I can remember, if you are reasonably sure who a party's nominee will be for the next election right after the last election ended, and it's not because they are the current president, they will lose. They'll lose the primary, or they'll lose the general, but they won't win. I'm glad we don't have a champion just yet, because that means there's no way for people to start Clearing The Way for them. Look where that gets you.

e: Ideally I'd like to have a shitshow clown-car 20-person primary like the GOP had. Really splinter that establishment support.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
george pataki tries his hand running as a dem this time

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mormonpartyboat posted:

buttigeig gettin real old real fast

teh butt that giegs twice as bright giegs twice as fast

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Our nominee is going to be Ronald Pmurt, the billionaire philanthropist supergenius world-champion who is the bestest at everything and everyone loves him and any resemblance he may bear to certain sitting presidents is fake news and besides that was probably Bruce Rappaport you were thinking of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i nominate the go playing computer

• Locked thread