Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Pierre the Slime Knight was the Best Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

BabyRyoga posted:

Good news homebrew savvy 3DS owners who are also Dragon Quest fans! Pretty soon you will be able to play the DQ game that was most recently released in Japan, in English! I don't have an exact date, but at the rate progress is going, I would expect it to be ready within the period of time that exists between several weeks and a couple of months. Right now, work is being done to port the translation that was done on the vanilla version of the game over to the newly released updated version, which then has a little bit more work to be done. Patches for both versions of the game in question will be released to accommodate anyone who might have purchased the old one.

So, if you have finished with VII and VIII but haven't figured out the whole homebrew thing yet, now is the the time to do so to be ready for more DQ related fun in the near future.

Can you offer any updates on the project? Is it still on schedule or did it hit a snag?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm playing DQ3 right now and I've just obtained the black pepper, I can go to Dharma/Garuna Tower but I'm only level 15. What's a good place to grind XP at my level? The kidnapper's cave was cake to me right now with my gear.

ROFL Octopus posted:

You mean 5 right?

I did mean 5! Generally speaking, games with too many choices for party members irritate me and that's really what 'monsters join the party' feels like, too many monsters to choose from etc.

khy fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 4, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ROFL Octopus posted:

You mean 5 right?

Anyway, the game has you by yourself for like the middle third or so? Maybe a little less.

Anyway, you get a bunch of worthless humans and you'll probably default to the same four person party as literally everyone else at the end.

I found the humans to be kind of poo poo in dq5, myself. The only one i kept in the lineup regularly was Parry, and that was mostly so he could cast oomph and kabuff. I had a golem and a cureslime in the other slots.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

khy posted:

I did mean 5! Generally speaking, games with too many choices for party members irritate me and that's really what 'monsters join the party' feels like, too many monsters to choose from etc.

I can get where you're coming from (Dragon Quest 8 is my personal favorite DQ and I think a large part of that is how concentrated the party members are) but it'd be a crime if you missed out on DQ5. Think of it more this way: you have four party slots (assuming you're playing the DS/iOS version). One is always going to be your hero. The second will be a monster you'll get through the story and you'd have to be heartless to not put on your team. Slime Knight you can get almost immediately and it's basically just an inferior hero, so that means it's one of the most powerful party members in the game. For the fourth slot, it doesn't really matter, you can put some dumbass sentient apple there and it will prove reliable enough.

Just remember: the wives are pretty mediocre except if you have taste and pick Deborah. Then you'll have an absolute monster on your side.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
You have to use Tuppence though

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Tired Moritz posted:

You have to use Tuppence though

:yeah:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

khy posted:

I'm playing DQ3 right now and I've just obtained the black pepper, I can go to Dharma/Garuna Tower but I'm only level 15. What's a good place to grind XP at my level? The kidnapper's cave was cake to me right now with my gear.
Speedrunners grind off Metal Slimes in Garuna Tower - the floor with the rope across, I think it's the second or maybe third floor? - if that's appealing to you. Still a pain in the butt, obviously, but metals gonna metal.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Just started DQ3 on iOS... what's this personality poo poo? It wasn't in the NES version. They've made this whole thing needlessly complicated. Now I'll constantly worry that my characters don't have their optimal personalities. Grr....

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
You want girls with the Vamp personality; it gives you the best mods overall.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Is Vamp what they renamed Sexy to on iOS?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Yes. It's not that hard to get on the Hero but annoyingly RNG-based for hired help.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

khy posted:

I do like how you could have like 4 backup party members travel with you in your caravan. They mostly couldn't enter dungeons with you but it was sometimes nice to bring a healer with you who didn't have to engage in combat

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
To be fair, an Amazon for your fighter would be good too. She can jump over to Vamp (via Garter) when you class change her to Sage.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yeah I didn't do any class changes when played DQIII on GBC and I had Hero Sexy, Warrior Amazon, Fighter Quick, Cleric Sexy.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Any guides on how to do all that personality stuff? All the guides I've found seem to be based on guesswork.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
There's a flowchart for the hero, and the others are made when they show you the stats so you can say no and come back in to reroll. Just remember that the male characters cannot get the Sexy/Vamp personality and their equivalent personality is kinda crap, while their good one is solid but not as good as Sexy/Vamp.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Ok... but where is it?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Ok, so I made a vamp hero. Played for about an hour and just now noticed that her personality has changed to contrarian. What. The. gently caress. Am I going to have to start over?

Why why why did they have to cram in this personality poo poo? I bought the game because I wanted to play it. I didn't buy it to have to study the drat thing for hours while constantly consulting the web, forums, and a crystal ball.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Alxprit posted:

6 doesn't have random monster recruitment, but you can get 8 different kinds of Slimes by doing certain sidequests. If you mean 5, then yes it's somewhat necessary to have monsters to fill out the missing slots in your four-man team when those are around. Late-game you'll probably use all the humans though, and be just fine.

This must be a remake thing because in the SNES version you absolutely could recruit monsters.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

...! posted:

Ok, so I made a vamp hero. Played for about an hour and just now noticed that her personality has changed to contrarian. What. The. gently caress. Am I going to have to start over?

Why why why did they have to cram in this personality poo poo? I bought the game because I wanted to play it. I didn't buy it to have to study the drat thing for hours while constantly consulting the web, forums, and a crystal ball.

Books change your personality permanently so just sell those off without using them. Some items you can equip change it temporarily, I never bothered equipping those but technically as long as you don't level up with them equipped it won't affect your stat growth.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

This must be a remake thing because in the SNES version you absolutely could recruit monsters.

It's probably for the best in any case since IIRC only monster masters could even recruit them? Which sounds kinda miserable tbqh if you really want them.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

...! posted:

Personalities do not change unless you do something to change them (use a book, or equip an item).

If it was equipment, taking it off will change it back. If it was a book, it is permanent.

That said, I have no idea what's going on because Contrarian doesn't have a book or an item and it's not one of the ones your hero can start with, which means you should never have a Hero with Contrarian. Are you sure you didn't read one of your other characters and misremember it as being on your hero?

Prism fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 6, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Also, I'm gonna betray my grinding and minmaxing roots here and say that the personality really, really doesn't matter if you're getting this worked up over it. It's stat growth, yeah, but gently caress it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Prism posted:

Personalities do not change unless you do something to change them (use a book, or equip an item).

If it was equipment, taking it off will change it back. If it was a book, it is permanent.

That said, I have no idea what's going on because Contrarian doesn't have a book or an item and it's not one of the ones your hero can start with, which means you should never have a Hero with Contrarian. Are you sure you didn't read one of your other characters and misremember it as being on your hero?

The game: Heroes can't be contrarian.
Hero: Oh yeah?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

...! posted:

Just started DQ3 on iOS... what's this personality poo poo? It wasn't in the NES version. They've made this whole thing needlessly complicated. Now I'll constantly worry that my characters don't have their optimal personalities. Grr....

If you're not total garbage at playing DQ games then the personalities don't matter unless you're a minmaxing sperg. They just affect level-up gains.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Bongo Bill posted:

The game: Heroes can't be contrarian.
Hero: Oh yeah?

Well played.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Speedrunners grind off Metal Slimes in Garuna Tower - the floor with the rope across, I think it's the second or maybe third floor? - if that's appealing to you. Still a pain in the butt, obviously, but metals gonna metal.

Speaking of the Garuna tower, do you have to be level 20 to use the Words of Wisdom/Zen Book to become a sage?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

khy posted:

Besides the Garuna Tower recommendation, I think you can also find metal slimes on the world map area surrounding Dharma Temple.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

khy posted:

Speaking of the Garuna tower, do you have to be level 20 to use the Words of Wisdom/Zen Book to become a sage?
Yes, because you don't "Use" it from the menu, you just talk to the class change NPC and the option for Sage is there even if you're not a Jester/Goof-Off and then the book gets consumed when you change.

(and I think also in some versions the book has to be in that character's inventory, but I'm pretty sure that isn't true in the iOS version)

e: and yes, you can also find Metal Slimes right outside Dharma, I don't know why speedrunners pick Garuna but I just assumed they were more common there.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

DACK FAYDEN posted:

e: and yes, you can also find Metal Slimes right outside Dharma, I don't know why speedrunners pick Garuna but I just assumed they were more common there.

In some parts of Garuna they are both more common and more likely to show up with multiples when they do, IIRC.

The downside is that the tower is more dangerous, but that's the risk you take.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Prism posted:

I just started over. I think the contrarian change was caused by me running away from the Aliahan castle at the very start and insisting to my mother that I didn't want to meet the king. I always do that sort of thing in every game that lets me, just to see what happens. So I was punished for having fun. Now I'm saying yes to every drat "but thou must!" question in the game lest it sic the fun police on me again.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I've been replaying DQ8 and I'm struck by how archaic so many of its gameplay elements are, even for a PS2 game. Hell, even the Final Fantasy games were way better at these things going all the way back to the SNES games. They seem to be steadfastly rejecting QoL improvements of the time. I don't know if it's purely out of tradition or what, but they really should have fixed this dumb poo poo.

You can only save in churches and the save process takes twenty million years.

Reviving characters before getting the revival spells is a gigantic pain in the rear end. If a character dies, you have to leave whatever dungeon you're in, go to a church, and pay a huge percentage of the gold you've managed to scrape together just to revive one single character.

There is a revival item but you don't get it until late in the game, it's incredibly time consuming to get, and the game tries to make sure you only have one in your inventory at any given time although you can fool it and get two in your inventory. Imagine playing a Final Fantasy game and it only permits you to have one phoenix down and you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it.

And the first revival spell is so awful that it's almost completely useless, especially in battle. It has a 50/50 chance of reviving the person. Gotta love trying to revive someone in battle and having to spend twenty turns and all your MP casting the spell. Even when you get the good spell, if your healer gets killed then it's back to a church with you.

This is all completely unacceptable. Please tell me that the later games fix all this or I'm not even gonna bother.

...! fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 11, 2017

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

...! posted:

I've been replaying DQ8 and I'm struck by how archaic so many of its gameplay elements are, even for a PS2 game. Hell, even the Final Fantasy games were way better at these things going all the way back to the SNES games. They seem to be steadfastly rejecting QoL improvements of the time. I don't know if it's purely out of tradition or what, but they really should have im

You can only save in churches and the save process takes twenty million years.

Reviving characters before getting the revival spells is a gigantic pain in the rear end. If a character dies, you have to leave whatever dungeon you're in, go to a church, and pay a huge percentage of the gold you've managed to scrape together just to revive one single character.

There is a revival item but you don't get it until late in the game, it's incredibly time consuming to get, and the game tries to make sure you only have one in your inventory at any given time although you can fool it and get two in your inventory. Imagine playing a Final Fantasy game and it only permits you to have one phoenix down and you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it.

And the first revival spell is so awful that it's almost completely useless, especially in battle. It has a 50/50 chance of reviving the person. Gotta love trying to revive someone in battle and having to spend twenty turns and all your MP casting the spell. Even when you get the good spell, if your healer gets killed then it's back to a church with you.

This is all completely unacceptable. Please tell me that the later games fix all this or I'm not even gonna bother.

Those have been the mechanics since Dragon Quest 2 when they first introduced multiple party members.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
And 'later games' as far as English goes, barring remakes and spinoffs, is exactly one.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Yeah, but that's not exactly acceptable in this day and age. Now that Squeenix is one company, you'd think that they would have picked up some pointers from the FF teams.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

neongrey posted:

And 'later games' as far as English goes, barring remakes and spinoffs, is exactly one.

But are the spinoffs that archaic?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I guarantee you it will function identically in DQXI

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

All the mobile remakes allow you to save anywhere.

For the rest - don't let your people die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

...! posted:

I just started over. I think the contrarian change was caused by me running away from the Aliahan castle at the very start and insisting to my mother that I didn't want to meet the king. I always do that sort of thing in every game that lets me, just to see what happens. So I was punished for having fun. Now I'm saying yes to every drat "but thou must!" question in the game lest it sic the fun police on me again.

Events don't change personalities - though I suppose that might be the single solitary exception because the game hasn't really started yet, and it's still pretty much the introduction, if indeed that's how it happened.

That said, this doesn't sound like it's the series for you. Which is fine! It's not for everyone. But it's deliberately kind of archaic in a lot of ways; the core of Dragon Quest doesn't really change much. Revival items are rare because the games that it was meant to draw upon the feel of, old-style dungeon crawlers (for DQ1, Wizardry and Ultima were specifically mentioned), often don't have any at all, or they can fail and require a turbo super resurrection to get your character back up (turned to ash...). I wouldn't call it 'unacceptable' so much as 'not your style'.

Prism fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 11, 2017