Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

...wau

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

they should track down whoever is the flat earth truther making those, they'd probably be a better Simpsons writer than the current writing staff

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Earwicker posted:

they should track down whoever is the flat earth truther making those, they'd probably be a better Simpsons writer than the current writing staff

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Al Jean is poo poo and that's all you need to know about why the show has sucked for 15 years

Even though he was co-showrunner with Mike Reiss in S3&4 there were people there to keep him in check (Sam Simon, Jim Brooks). Now he's the only dinosaur and everyone defers to his sensibilities while Matt Groening just cashes a cheque. :(

Though tbh Matt Groening was not needed after he created the characters. Probably already mentioned itt but his original plan was to have Marge be a Life in Hell rabbit underneath her hair.

Not only that but it's even in the arcade game!

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
this is loving disturbing

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I remember playing that game all the time as a kid and never knowing wtf was going on with marge. I thought it was just like strips of skin getting ripped off with her hair and it kind of skeeved me out

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
What's the next episode, OP? That'll answer your question.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
this is also why "the simpsons got bad because groening left for futurama" is nonsense. Groening had lots of insane ideas

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
holy poo poo i totally forgot about that video game. i played that a ton with the kid across the street growing up

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the simpsons arcade game owned

Megaspel posted:

I'm going to say it's probably when they decided Homer was a flat Earth truther.

https://twitter.com/caveman444/status/812165205442449408
this twitter account also owns
https://twitter.com/caveman444/status/844953420561723392

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
The only episode of the Simpsons I've ever watched is one where Homer moves in with gay guys and Weird Al sings to him. It was terrible. Do people actually enjoy this show?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Andorra posted:

The only episode of the Simpsons I've ever watched is one where Homer moves in with gay guys and Weird Al sings to him. It was terrible. Do people actually enjoy this show?

About 1/3 of it, yeah.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Drink-Mix Man posted:

About 1/3 of it, yeah.

Those are called ads.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Drifting back onto Sideshow Bob, his last two episode appearances have been goddamn dreadful. In one he cuts off his own face and another prisoner's with a pizza cutter and switches them, during the episode, his face falls off partially at least once. The next episode he's in, he's become the chief scientist for a genetic engineer company called 'Monsarno', he genetically modifies himself with all sorts of crazy poo poo and at the end of the episode falls into the dam and escapes, by breathing under water with gills.

Neither of these episodes are halloween episodes. This poo poo is canon.

I just watched these out of morbid curiosity though, I couldn't believe that when I read it. I stopped watching when homer was in a grunge band instead of the b sharps.I'd been barely hanging on until then but that broke the camels back for me. I tried to give the show another chance a few years later and they got some new neighbours who were all hipsters and into what the youth like and I gave up within the first 5 minutes of the episode because it was all tumblr this twitter that HEY KIDS WE'RE STILL RELEVANT RIGHT?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andorra posted:

I'm trying to think of a good comparison for the quantity to quality output of the Simpsons. Stephen King books maybe? The Rolling Stones' discography? Whatever it is where there's like 10 really solid years of output or something and then the rest is forgettable poo poo

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

That was amazing, thank you.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, tonight was another episode about how millennials suck. What a coincidence.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Simpsons seems to be going the way rock radio went. From being edgy and experimentation to "the same 20 songs, all ACDC all the time".

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Houle posted:

Simpsons seems to be going the way rock radio went. From being edgy and experimentation to "the same 20 songs, all ACDC all the time".

lol its well past that point. it has not been edgy or experimental in over a decade, and even when it was good it was never really "experimental" even if some of the social commentary was I guess sort of edgy for the 90s?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Don't have a cow, man.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Earwicker posted:

lol its well past that point. it has not been edgy or experimental in over a decade, and even when it was good it was never really "experimental" even if some of the social commentary was I guess sort of edgy for the 90s?

Nah it really was pretty edgy stuff when it was new, it just doesn't seem that way now out of context. It killed the wholesome, generic, copy-pasted, uninspired family sitcom that dominated TV in the 70's and 80's.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I have watched literally one episode of this show since I cancelled cable in like 2009 and it was just because someone had posted about how the Simpsons was super bad. They went to Burning Man and other than that it's completely forgettable. There's no reason to watch that show or pretty much anything else on TV anymore except for one or two shows. Basically TV is garbage and if you aren't just using a paid VPN to torrent the very few things worth your time LOL grats on giving your hard earned money to people like the idiots that write that terrible terrible show.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

EvilJoven posted:

There's no reason to watch that show or pretty much anything else on TV anymore except for one or two shows. Basically TV is garbage and if you aren't just using a paid VPN to torrent the very few things worth your time LOL grats on giving your hard earned money to people like the idiots that write that terrible terrible show.

This man speaks the truth.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

I have watched literally one episode of this show since I cancelled cable in like 2009 and it was just because someone had posted about how the Simpsons was super bad. They went to Burning Man and other than that it's completely forgettable. There's no reason to watch that show or pretty much anything else on TV anymore except for one or two shows. Basically TV is garbage and if you aren't just using a paid VPN to torrent the very few things worth your time LOL grats on giving your hard earned money to people like the idiots that write that terrible terrible show.

Yeah, pretty much this. There's some shows worth watching but by the whole I don't think I can ever go back to the 'I'll watch this because it's on' mode ever again. I'd rather read or outside or something.

And in this case it's not even the Simpsons. Just the whole broadcast-era mentality is just so sour nowadays. Well, maybe I take that back: if TV shows maintained a semblance of quality instead of watching that quality go to basic cable, maybe that mentality could survive. But it won't so whatever.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I miss when June meant the end of the season and it was reruns all summer so you had an excuse to go outside unless it was an episode you missed on the first run

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

tv in general is a lot better now than it was during the time when the simpsons was actually good. but by "tv" i'm also including netflix, hulu, hbo, etc. i'm sure most network tv is still poo poo

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the only show on network tv that i find consistently entertaining is The Mick

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

tv in general is a lot better now than it was during the time when the simpsons was actually good. but by "tv" i'm also including netflix, hulu, hbo, etc. i'm sure most network tv is still poo poo

The only good TV is expensive TV that either costs a loving fortune to get through a Cable provider or telco in a format that allows you to watch when you want rather than having to schedule your life around it, or is more easily aquired through non traditional means like Netflix, or piracy.

Basically LOL cable TV is going to die as soon as boomers can't afford it.

Iron Crowned posted:

I miss when June meant the end of the season and it was reruns all summer so you had an excuse to go outside unless it was an episode you missed on the first run

I'm super happy with the current state of things because with some good shows starting in the summer it means I have year round entertainment that thanks to Netflix and piracy I can ignore until I have nothing better to do.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Last Chance posted:

Yeah I notice this too. I've been watching New Simpsons out of morbid curiosity lately and I also notice that they will just beat the poo poo out of a joke. Over and over again, I keep thinking "okay, stop. cut the joke here and it's fine..!" But they'll keep on truckin' and spoil the joke by over explaining it.

it's like comparing the original ghostbusters to the new one.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

EvilJoven posted:

Basically LOL cable TV is going to die as soon as boomers can't afford it.

I only know 3 couples my age (mid 30) that still have cable tv, one is just for sports but the other 2... I don't know. It disturbs me.

I wonder what the tv network plans are for when all the boomers die? Will they all just try to start their own lovely streaming service like Cbs All Access, eventually fail, and just become content producers that supply shows to Netflix? That would be nice.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Scudworth posted:

I only know 3 couples my age (mid 30) that still have cable tv, one is just for sports but the other 2... I don't know. It disturbs me.

I wonder what the tv network plans are for when all the boomers die? Will they all just try to start their own lovely streaming service like Cbs All Access, eventually fail, and just become content producers that supply shows to Netflix? That would be nice.

More likely they will use the indian ftc guy to kill off netflix or otherwise find a way to collect a cut from all internet streaming

You want internet? Then you gotta pay us.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

The only good TV is expensive TV that either costs a loving fortune to get through a Cable provider or telco in a format that allows you to watch when you want rather than having to schedule your life around it, or is more easily aquired through non traditional means like Netflix, or piracy.

yeah, but thats still a lot of tv, and what you call "non traditional means" is now a mainstream means of watching tv for basically everyone under 50 and a good portion of people over.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't even own a TV

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I just tried watching the one about Bart dissecting frogs and I turned it off after five minutes. How the gently caress do you get a job writing for an enormously well-known, highly-rated, culturally significant show like The Simpsons and write humor so infuriatingly half-assed? I have to imagine there are tons of legit talented, funny comedians out there that would probably kill for a chance to be on the writing staff for a show like this and make it funny again. Certainly Fox can afford to pay actual talent for it. Why does everything play like some hungover screenwriting student whipped something up the night before a due date?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I just tried watching the one about Bart dissecting frogs and I turned it off after five minutes. How the gently caress do you get a job writing for an enormously well-known, highly-rated, culturally significant show like The Simpsons and write humor so infuriatingly half-assed? I have to imagine there are tons of legit talented, funny comedians out there that would probably kill for a chance to be on the writing staff for a show like this and make it funny again. Certainly Fox can afford to pay actual talent for it. Why does everything play like some hungover screenwriting student whipped something up the night before a due date?

I doubt that there are funny writers just clamoring to get a job on a show that's widely seen as having been poo poo for 18 years. And I doubt Fox can afford to pay for actual talent given the shitfit they throw everytime the actors contracts come up.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

PostNouveau posted:

I doubt that there are funny writers just clamoring to get a job on a show that's widely seen as having been poo poo for 18 years. And I doubt Fox can afford to pay for actual talent given the shitfit they throw everytime the actors contracts come up.

Rumor is, the writers' room for The Simpsons is basically a jobs program for recent Harvard grads trying to break into TV writing. Like, to the point where being a Harvard alum counts much more highly in your favor than the actual quality of your work.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

LanceHunter posted:

Rumor is, the writers' room for The Simpsons is basically a jobs program for recent Harvard grads trying to break into TV writing. Like, to the point where being a Harvard alum counts much more highly in your favor than the actual quality of your work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5QbcnJHKK8

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
What the gently caress does someone from HAH VAHrd know about humor anyway

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

TheIllestVillain posted:

that episode did have one great gag though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bt4Ly9_9Qg

You forgot Old Man Yells at Cloud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Johnny Aztec posted:

What the gently caress does someone from HAH VAHrd know about humor anyway

Let season 27 of The Simpsons answer that for you.