Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
A decade old so maybe the numbers have shifted a little but

quote:

For example, patent-protected brand drugs sell for more than three times the price of generic drugs that sell in a free market.3 This means that the country could save approximately $140 billion a year on its $220 billion annual bill for prescription drugs if the government did not provide patent protection and drugs were instead sold in a competitive market. In addition to raising the price for people who buy drugs, the higher patent protected price makes many people unable to afford drugs. These people either go without certain drugs or use less than their prescribed dosage because of government patent protection.

The fact that so many people can afford to buy drugs at the free market price, but cannot afford them at the patent protected price, is one of the inefficiencies of the patent system. This cost is known by economists as “deadweight loss.” Economists usually get upset over deadweight losses when they are the result of a 10 percent tariff on pants or a quota on shirts. However, they are generally less troubled by the deadweight losses associated with patent and copyright protection, even when the losses are far more than the losses due to trade protection.

The pharmaceutical industry justifies the vast economic waste associated with patent protection for prescription drugs by claiming that patents are necessary to finance research. According to the pharmaceutical industry, it spent $41.1 billion on research in the United States in 2004.4 This means that the country spends more than three dollars in higher drug prices for every dollar of drug research supported through the patent system. The rest of the additional spending went to marketing, high CEO pay, and drug company profits.

But this picture is still far too generous to the patent system. As any good economist would be quick to point out, government patent monopolies provide perverse incentives to pharmaceutical companies. They want to maximize the profits from these monopolies, which leads them to waste resources in ways that would not make sense in a free market.

One way that the pharmaceutical industry wastes resources is by engaging in copycat research, spending tens of billions of dollars developing drugs that duplicate the functions of already existing drugs. For example, once Pfizer developed Claritin, other drug companies rushed to develop comparable drugs to cash in on Pfizer’s multi-billion dollar market. This behavior makes sense when a government-granted patent monopoly allows Pfizer to sell Claritin at a price that is much higher than its cost of production. (Copycat drugs actually are desirable in a world with patent protection, since they provide some competition in an environment where there would otherwise be none.) However, if Claritin were sold in a competitive market, it would make little sense to spend money developing a new drug that did the same thing as Claritin.

According to the Food and Drug Administration, approximately twothirds of all new drugs fall into this copycat category.5 The pharmaceutical industry estimates that copycat drugs cost approximately 90 percent as much to research as breakthrough drugs, which means that approximately 60 percent of the industry’s spending on research is to develop copycat drugs (Ernst & Young LLP, 2001). This means instead of getting $40 billion in research on breakthrough drugs for the $140 billion that patents add to drug costs, we are only getting about $17 billion. In other words, we spend more than $8 in higher drug prices for every dollar that the industry spends researching breakthrough drugs.

http://deanbaker.net/images/stories/documents/cnswebbook.pdf

Basically it would be cheaper to just fund drug science publicly and relegate the drug industry to merely manufacturing the drugs. But good luck on making that happen.

HappyHippo fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Lmao epipen two pack at Walgreens now up to 762 usd for express scripts.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Peven Stan posted:

I had someone literally :smug: "uhhh, syringes and vials of 1:1 epi are super cheap" when I was blasting these fuckers for gouging their monopoly.

Yeah, asking a 5 year old child to draw and administer IM medication in the middle of a medical emergency is totally the answer.

gently caress libertarians and free market fanboys.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

LeeMajors posted:

I had someone literally :smug: "uhhh, syringes and vials of 1:1 epi are super cheap" when I was blasting these fuckers for gouging their monopoly.

Yeah, asking a 5 year old child to draw and administer IM medication in the middle of a medical emergency is totally the answer.

gently caress libertarians and free market fanboys.

You can explain to these fan boys that economics has a concept called externalities that impacts their idea and makes them sound like uneducated idiots. It's basically the reason that the government subsidizes flu shots.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Seems the GOP is going to take another crack at it: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/house-gop-health-care-alive_us_58e30030e4b0f4a923b14b10?a2sj8jrudq0bpgb9&ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

quote:

hat agreement, which is still far from a reality, would hinge on Republicans accepting changes to their health care bill that would violate a key promise from President Donald Trump, namely that insurers would have to offer plans to people with pre-existing conditions.

While those regulations would still technically exist, the idea is that the House bill would now allow states to opt out of “community rating” regulations, which compel insurers to offer plans at the same rate for sick people. Ditching those protections would let insurers charge exorbitant rates for people with pre-existing conditions while also offering plans that don’t offer key services, like maternity care, hospitalization or lab services. Conservatives believe those people would then go into so-called high-risk pools for coverage, but the effect would still likely lead to people who need health care the most paying the most ― or not being able to afford coverage at all.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The PPACA will die this time for sure, we promise

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Oh good, I was concerned that we were too far from an election and that people might forget how much the GOP wants to destroy their health care. Glad they're fixing that issue.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Peven Stan posted:

ExpressScripts is a joke and a total ripoff. My workplace has it and I might as well not have insurance for my medicines.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
After the last debacle, Trump publicly shat all over the freedom caucus. I'm sure the negotiations will go even smoother this time around.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pollyanna posted:

ExpressScripts is a joke and a total ripoff. My workplace has it and I might as well not have insurance for my medicines.

Express scripts notwithstanding, epipen prices skyrocketed (due to bribing express scripts​)

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/03/mylan-hit-with-racketeering-suit-over-big-price-hikes-of-epipen.html

Hopefully this goes somewhere because the equivalent medicine in the civilized world costs like $5

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

I'm really impressed with the gop's dedication with loving over old people this time. And being vocal about it.

Like jesus, was the problem that AARP didn't hate the first version enough?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

A big flaming stink posted:

I'm really impressed with the gop's dedication with loving over old people this time. And being vocal about it.

Like jesus, was the problem that AARP didn't hate the first version enough?

I really think they just have no clue what they're doing, but they know what they promised, and they're desperately trying to find some way to do what they promised while having any kind of excuse to pretend they think that delivering that promise will help people. They know it won't, they know it will kill hundreds of thousands of people and destroy the quality of life for millions more, but as long as they can say they did what they promised and claim in this moment, right now, that they think it will be good for people, they can get re-elected.. They painted themselves into a corner but they're hoping they can just stay in that corner long enough for the paint to dry so they can walk out of it without getting paint on their shoes.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Hopefully this blows up in their face like last time especially since they need it done by Friday at the latest.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

empty whippet box posted:

They painted themselves into a corner but they're hoping they can just stay in that corner long enough for the paint to dry so they can walk out of it without getting paint on their shoes.

The contortions required to visualize this metaphor seems pretty apt for the party as a whole

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I don't pay a whole lot of attention to RWM, but how many of the major conservative outlets are still calling for Republican blood for not passing a repeal? They wouldn't be doing it if they weren't still feeling heat from their right flank, because there sure as poo poo isn't mainstream pressure to pass a bill.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Have they done anything yet that couldn't just be empty promises and bluster?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Have a friend on Facebook flipping out on Medicare costs rising for his father. Basically they are getting less pills for the same price. What is causing this because he is pissed at Obama since the change happened at the beginning of Jan.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

Have they done anything yet that couldn't just be empty promises and bluster?

Apparently not and they only have until Friday to do anything so it's all probably a non-starter.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

silence_kit posted:

You have gone pretty far down the rabbit hole. I have no idea why you think he is defending drug advertising to consumers. He was pointing out a problem with an argument made by a source.

He was pointing out that the marginal production cost for pharmaceuticals is really small, and that as long as someone else is paying for the massive development cost, drugs could be sold for really cheap. However, someone has to pay for that development cost. It is probably wrong to assume that in the hypothetical scenario that the source posited that the US would be able to be free-riders like Europe is currently, would be able to have someone else pay for the development cost of their new drugs, and would enjoy drug prices as low as Europe does currently.

I didn't say he was defending drug advertising to consumers; re-read what I said. I said his claim that without R&D spending drugs would cost pennies is not true, and he was neglecting (either ignorantly or disingenuously) the advertising expenses that make up a greater proportion of drug prices than R&D. It's important because that wrong assumption underlies the whole "oh it's just impossible to change the status quo" argument and it's false: we could eliminate the largest portion of the sticker price immediately without touching R&D funding at all.

Anyway, if we're evaluating what the effect of adopting price controls would be, then yeah the prices in other countries that have instituted those controls is actually the proper place to start. I'd love to see some numbers with deeper analysis than the source he's criticizing, but he doesn't have that. Just vague handwaving and arguments from ignorance that it's impossible to even ballpark the cost.

I don't buy it. According to the argument, drug companies have so much power and are able to "jack up" prices globally by so much that what Europe pays today isn't even in the same ballpark anymore. But when I ask the obvious question: if they have that much power why are they leaving all that money on the table instead of squeezing Europe for US prices right now, the response is oh actually the price hikes wouldn't be that much really so small in fact that drug companies just don't bother.

It can't be both. Either the drug companies have little power over European governments and therefore current European prices are a good ballpark figure of what US prices could be under similar policies; or drug companies have immense power to squeeze European governments in which case they should be paying much closer to what we pay because corporations don't just leave sums like that on the table out of a sense of charity or fair play.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

VitalSigns posted:

I didn't say he was defending drug advertising to consumers; re-read what I said. I said his claim that without R&D spending drugs would cost pennies is not true, and he was neglecting (either ignorantly or disingenuously) the advertising expenses that make up a greater proportion of drug prices than R&D. It's important because that wrong assumption underlies the whole "oh it's just impossible to change the status quo" argument and it's false: we could eliminate the largest portion of the sticker price immediately without touching R&D funding at all.

Anyway, if we're evaluating what the effect of adopting price controls would be, then yeah the prices in other countries that have instituted those controls is actually the proper place to start. I'd love to see some numbers with deeper analysis than the source he's criticizing, but he doesn't have that. Just vague handwaving and arguments from ignorance that it's impossible to even ballpark the cost.

I don't buy it. According to the argument, drug companies have so much power and are able to "jack up" prices globally by so much that what Europe pays today isn't even in the same ballpark anymore. But when I ask the obvious question: if they have that much power why are they leaving all that money on the table instead of squeezing Europe for US prices right now, the response is oh actually the price hikes wouldn't be that much really so small in fact that drug companies just don't bother.

It can't be both. Either the drug companies have little power over European governments and therefore current European prices are a good ballpark figure of what US prices could be under similar policies; or drug companies have immense power to squeeze European governments in which case they should be paying much closer to what we pay because corporations don't just leave sums like that on the table out of a sense of charity or fair play.

This is entirely neglecting that R&D for new drugs should be out of private hands and quite frankly done through publicly funded medical universities. It would be vastly cheaper, safer, easier to govern and review in terms of ethics and animals (if you care about all that), would allow for top-notch researchers to work within the same research structures most other significant breakthroughs are made without the profit motive getting in the way of direction of research, cost/benefit to society and all that patent bullshit.

But hey, wishful thinking. This isn't that timeline.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Apparently not and they only have until Friday to do anything so it's all probably a non-starter.

I've heard this a lot. Why specifically Friday?

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

I've heard this a lot. Why specifically Friday?

Cause congress is going on spring break (April recess).

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Is there anywhere I can read about why we apparently need to raise taxes to fund UHC (per this thread) and yet we already spend more public-only dollars on healthcare per capita than any country in the world, tia

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

call to action posted:

Is there anywhere I can read about why we apparently need to raise taxes to fund UHC (per this thread) and yet we already spend more public-only dollars on healthcare per capita than any country in the world, tia

There's lots of places, but the basic reasons are:

- Economies of scale (its easier to do in denser and more urban countries in Europe)
- The U.S. does not force price controls on all service providers through monopsony or monopoly powers
- The U.S. does not conscript doctors into being government employees and apply much lower salaries to them
- U.S. costs subsidize medical device manufacturers and prescription drug manufacturers prices in other parts of the world
- The U.S. consumes more services (scans, tests, and procedures) than other countries

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/07/why-do-other-rich-nations-spend-so-much-less-on-healthcare/374576/

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Cant wait for the April town halls to be filled with angry republicans because they didn't kill obamacare.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Rabble posted:

Cant wait for the April town halls to be filled with angry republicans because they didn't kill obamacare.

There are like tons of articles about how coal country yokels are waking up to the fact that revoking ACA will probably kill them, but then R congress keeps ACA because the replacements just don't kill enough people.

It's dizzying in its strangeness.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

There are like tons of articles about how coal country yokels are waking up to the fact that revoking ACA will probably kill them, but then R congress keeps ACA because the replacements just don't kill enough people.

It's dizzying in its strangeness.

There must be one or two HFC types that knew the bill's effects on their constituents would cost them their seat if it passed, but needed to sabotage it from the right to avoid a primary.

A split between a more middle class base of motivated voters who participate in the primary versus less engaged poorer conservatives might have that effect.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The late senator Robert Byrd (D-KKK) literally put amendments into the law so coal miners could claim black lung benefits faster.

The democrats should've hammered that point home in Appalachia and West Virginia but I guess they were too busy pretending to be intersectional feminists for the DC cocktail party crowd.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Peven Stan posted:

The late senator Robert Byrd (D-KKK) literally put amendments into the law so coal miners could claim black lung benefits faster.

The democrats should've hammered that point home in Appalachia and West Virginia but I guess they were too busy pretending to be intersectional feminists for the DC cocktail party crowd.

Racist idiots are going to be racist idiots and vote for those who are racist, no matter how many economic measures you pass for them. Sorry.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

call to action posted:

A lot of those savings come in ways that we would have a politically difficult time realizing, like capping doctor's salaries or firing everyone who currently works in the health insurance industry.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Nice piece of fish posted:

This is entirely neglecting that R&D for new drugs should be out of private hands and quite frankly done through publicly funded medical universities. It would be vastly cheaper, safer, easier to govern and review in terms of ethics and animals (if you care about all that), would allow for top-notch researchers to work within the same research structures most other significant breakthroughs are made without the profit motive getting in the way of direction of research, cost/benefit to society and all that patent bullshit.

But hey, wishful thinking. This isn't that timeline.

It already is for a large part. Then someone convinced the universities they need to have a patent office that patents everything and try to turn a profit off the research.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Peven Stan posted:

Appalachians did know about that, they believed Trump would help them with his promise of UHC paid by the government, and dismissed rhetoric about repealing the parts of the ACA that benefit them because "Trump and the Republicans won't cut the good parts that we need because people need that"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Flip Yr Wig posted:

There must be one or two HFC types that knew the bill's effects on their constituents would cost them their seat if it passed, but needed to sabotage it from the right to avoid a primary.

A split between a more middle class base of motivated voters who participate in the primary versus less engaged poorer conservatives might have that effect.

I think there's a lot of suspicion this is precisely what Rand Paul did.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A lot of those savings come in ways that we would have a politically difficult time realizing, like capping doctor's salaries or firing everyone who currently works in the health insurance industry.

Seems to sum it up perfectly, thanks.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Trump is apparently shifting his focus from tax reform back to health care, since the tax reform stuff is apparently going to take so long:

WSJ posted:

WASHINGTON—After losing a fight to revamp the health-care system, President Donald Trump said last month he was prepared to put the setback behind him and move on to the next challenge, rewriting the tax code.

Three weeks later, he said he is determined to resurrect the health-care bill even if it means delaying the tax overhaul, telling The Wall Street Journal in an interview: “I want to get health care done…I think I will get it done.”

The tax overhaul, he said, would have to wait.

Mr. Trump’s revived push to fulfill a core campaign promise appears to be driven by three developments: First, a renewed confidence that he can still win enough votes to pass a bill; second, a belief that he needs the health-care savings to help pay for the tax bill and hit his economic growth promises; and third, a recognition that the tax-code overhaul isn’t near ready.

As a result, instead of cutting his health-care losses, he is insisting on pursuing an elusive deal to overturn the 2010 Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare, and enact new health policy in its place.

The GOP president has long said he is loath to abandon a goal. In his book “The Art of the Deal,” he wrote that his approach is to “aim very high” and then “keep pushing and pushing and pushing to get what I’m after.”

He added: “Sometimes I settle for less than I sought, but in most cases I still end up with what I want.”

The abrupt shift caught some Capitol Hill Republicans off guard. They had been preparing to turn immediately to the tax legislation.

“We don’t get it. What a waste of time and political capital to return to the quagmire of health reform,” said Greg Valliere, chief global strategist at Horizon Investments, a North Carolina investment firm, in a client note Wednesday. Unlike taxes or infrastructure, he said the health bill is “clearly a no-win issue for the Republicans.”

The renewed focus on health care also raises the prospect of a second embarrassing defeat that would raise more questions about the new administration’s ability to shepherd complicated legislation through Congress.

But some allies said they were encouraged, not alarmed, by that pursuit now.

“Just because they didn’t achieve success at first on health-care legislation doesn’t mean it’s not going to get accomplished,” said Corey Lewandowski, Mr. Trump’s former campaign manager. “It’s going to get accomplished and they’re continuing to work on that. It’s a pledge he has made and will fulfill.”

In his interview with the Journal, Mr. Trump specifically mentioned a renewed confidence in the Freedom Caucus, a group of conservative Republicans he had just two weeks ago suggested targeting for defeat in next year’s midterm election.

“They want to do the right thing and they do like me and they do like their president,” he said.

Rep. Mark Meadows of North Carolina, a prominent House Republican and leader of the Freedom Caucus, said he had conversations with the president and his staff in which he set out a potential path to yes on a health-care deal for a number of conservative members and others.

He declined to discuss the specifics of that path, but praised the president’s past business history in making deals where no deals seemed to be in sight.

“He’s singularly focused on making sure he fulfills his campaign promises,” Mr. Meadows said.

While Mr. Trump has also suggested he is open to a deal with Democrats on health care, some White House officials believe the most direct route to passage of a bill involves persuading Republicans to go along. Democrats oppose the effort to repeal the law.

“Keeping it in the family is the easier path,” one White House aide said.

Another issue is at stake. Mr. Trump’s administration has projected a sharp increase in the nation’s projected growth rate, to around 3% over the coming decade from an average of 2% over the past decade due to policy changes.

The repeal and replacement of the health-care law is a significant factor in the improved growth outlook, said budget director Mick Mulvaney in an interview.

In addition, the tax plan Mr. Trump had expected to turn to may not be coming together as quickly as he had hoped. It will likely take months to write and advance a tax plan through Congress, making health care a more attractive engagement for a relatively speedy legislative victory.

"Tax reform’s going to be a very protracted process for a variety of reasons and I think the president desperately needs a very quick victory to get back on track,” said former Rep. Charles Boustany, a Louisiana Republican now at the lobbying firm Capitol Counsel.

The White House is still filling out its tax-policy team and reviewing its options, and meanwhile, it has offered little strategic direction to Congress. As a result, Republicans in the House and Senate haven’t yet reached consensus on key questions.

Among other things: The administration hasn’t decided whether to seek a tax cut, who might get a tax cut and whether to pursue the border adjustment feature at the center of House Republicans’ plans. When they do make those choices, it is going to be difficult, especially given the likely need to find almost all the votes for the tax bill inside the GOP, some officials said.

“Face it, when you change the tax code someone’s ox is going to get gored,” Mr. Mulvaney said.

What’s more, the two initiatives are interconnected, White House officials believe. Should a health-care overhaul pass, that would free up hundreds of billions of dollars that could be used to help pay for tax reductions brought about by the tax-code rewrite, they said.

“That’s the biggest driver in that decision,” a White House official said Thursday.

Under congressional rules, though, money from one bill isn’t deployed to another. What the health-care bill does is repeal taxes created in the Affordable Care Act, paid for by cutting spending on Medicaid.

Because the last week of April will be spent funding the government, Republicans have a window to work on health care without significantly delaying their tax agenda, which couldn’t advance publicly anyway during that time, said Kenneth Kies, a GOP tax lobbyist.

“There’s a window here to pull the health care thing back together and get it done without impeding tax reform,” he said.

Still, the prospects for that victory, however much Mr. Trump wants it, are mixed.

Current and former Republican House members believe that their colleagues could yet be inclined to get a bill voted through the lower chamber, if for no other reason than to tell constituents that they had done so. Whether Senate Republicans then can resolve their own, separate but equally divisive fights on health care is no certain matter.

“Taxes do not create the ideological, theological divides that health care does among Republicans,” Mr. Kies said.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-shifts-back-to-health-care-1492131535

I'm not sure what sort of success this has in passing, but it sounds like another fight on this is on the horizon.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Also, because Trump is loudly threatening the subsidy payments, guess what's going to have to be included in the spending bill if Republicans don't want to shut down the government

quote:

A heavy-handed effort by the president to take hostage insurer subsidies critical to the proper functioning of Obamacare — with the demand that Democrats cooperate to salvage Trump’s own failed health-care initiative — seems to be backfiring loudly. Soon after Trump made it clear (first via a statement from the Department of Health and Human Services, and then in his own words, in an interview with The Wall Street Journal) that he was indeed threatening to stop payment of the so-called Cost-Sharing Reduction subsidies (amounting to $7 billion in 2017 and an estimated $10 billion in 2018), congressional Democrats quickly struck back, reports The Hill:

Congressional Democrats are demanding that key Obamacare payments be included in the next spending bill, raising the possibility of a government shutdown if they are not.

The “spending bill” in question is the omnibus appropriations measure needed to keep the lights on in the federal government beyond April 28, the expiration date of the funding bill enacted last December. It has been the subject of extended negotiations involving the White House and both parties in Congress, aimed at removing “poison pills” that might produce a deadlock, a Senate Democratic filibuster, and a government shutdown.

Providing an appropriation for CSR payments would permanently take this particular weapon out of Trump’s hands — no matter how an underlying lawsuit, over the constitutionality of the Obama administration making the payments without such an appropriation, turns out.

These bills are subject to filibuster in the Senate, and also risk not being able to pass the House without Democratic support because the Freedom Caucus always has some complaint.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

evilweasel posted:

Also, because Trump is loudly threatening the subsidy payments, guess what's going to have to be included in the spending bill if Republicans don't want to shut down the government

These bills are subject to filibuster in the Senate, and also risk not being able to pass the House without Democratic support because the Freedom Caucus always has some complaint.

Well, that's one way to bring the Democrats to the negotiation table.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

After the humiliating embarrassment that was Trumps last attempt at this I'm happy he's so willing to stick his dick back in the hornets nest.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

too bad trump won't be invited :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The beautiful ish thing is that the Democrats really can just say no. They have no power except that which is given to them by Republican dysfunction, so they can very easily blame everything on Republicans.