Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Data Graham posted:

So where's the smart money at on that whole "Slug down all the protein in the house within 1 hour of your weight circuit workout to maximize absorption, don't bother with protein throughout the rest of the day" theory?

Malarkey? Or effective way?
It's recommended you keep feeding yourself small but frequent amounts of protein throughout the day (like 4-7 times), but timing large amounts doesn't seem to matter. If you're actually going to worry about protein, getting some slow-digesting source like casein before bed is a more significant thing to focus on. The only thing you really want to be hammering during and after your workout is carbs, and maybe avoiding fats or fiber during that time because it slows digestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lol if you don't have a constant protein IV drip going.

Alternatively, eat beef jerky throughout the day. This will also swole up your jaw muscles.

You can substitute in dry salami. Probably actually recommended around here. Sopressata is preferred.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 31, 2017

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Uuuuurgh 5/3/1 BBB squats are the worst thing in the word.

Also on nutrient timing - the 'no carbs at night' thing is bullshit right?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Pesmerga posted:

Probably not

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Sexual attraction in this context is not a part of my programming

a mysterious cloak posted:

It could also be the flu. Or hypothyroidism. Or depression, medication side effect, brain tumor, sleep apnea, stress, alcoholism, drug abuse, sepsis, HIV/AIDS, age-related, carotid artery stenosis, cardiomegaly, lymphoma, pneumonia, anemia, common cold...

Or a change in diet.

:zoid:

I'll see after the dietician anyway. I'm gonna give it 5/6 months before I make sure it isn't the diet

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Pesmerga posted:

it's total nonsense

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pesmerga posted:

The last thing I read said carbs before bed is actually really good.

Your body does the most repair during sleep, so give it all the energy you can.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Eat most of your carbs around your workout, before and after. Time of day doesn't matter.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've been eating so little carbs I'm probably on the edge of ketosis :negative:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Even on an RP cut diet I'm eating every healthy carb in the house on lifting days. It's both terrible and awesome.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Data Graham posted:

I've been eating so little carbs I'm probably on the edge of ketosis :negative:
Well its not salami sandwich gains itt.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

The RP diet templates are great but the small variations in each meal make prepping a pain sometimes. 5 oz chicken on rest days but 4 oz in training days. 2 meals will have 50g carbs but the third one is 25g.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

UnfurledSails posted:

The RP diet templates are great but the small variations in each meal make prepping a pain sometimes. 5 oz chicken on rest days but 4 oz in training days. 2 meals will have 50g carbs but the third one is 25g.

About to drop to cut 3 and considering adding in workouts on my 2 off days so I never have to only get carbs once a day. Making prep easier would be an extra benefit.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Tried Iberico ham for the first time. How good is that for gains?

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
pee pee poo poo

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

bamhand posted:

Why don't you try this sausage? *unzips*

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
i bought a blender today, so now i can just liquify and pour all the vegetables and frozen fruits whose textures I dislike down my gullet.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Play posted:

I've got a question.

I've got low testosterone due to circumstances out of my control. I'm relatively young though, 28 and I've got good genetics. My father was a defensive lineman in college and a very strong man. I've got naturally defined arms and shoulders even though I haven't been going to the gym at all for a few months due to starting a new job.

My question: is just going to the gym enough to see some gains (I'm not talking epic, just more defined muscles and slightly larger all around) or do I need to go full on food, testosterone, supplements etc. I'd like to be stronger but I'm a bit worried that my low testosterone (seriously old man low) will prevent me from making any gains at all. My doctor told me that working out will naturally increase my testosterone so hopefully there would be some kind of feedback loop? Or am I hosed without getting more into this whole... scene or whatever this is.

For reference, I eat a lot of salami

Go talk to a different doctor. I have the same issue (secondary hypogonadism), and they put me on clomid. I'm now around 1000. Unfortunately my estradiol shot up and I gained 15 pounds in a month of bad weight with no diet changes. Thanks to that they added an AI to me and now I'm good.

Low t sucks.

naem
May 29, 2011

bamhand posted:

I don't know but I just ate an entire rotisserie chicken

It's life force is now one with my own

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Dum Cumpster posted:

About to drop to cut 3 and considering adding in workouts on my 2 off days so I never have to only get carbs once a day. Making prep easier would be an extra benefit.

I've added random workouts a few times to cure the carb rage. Feels good.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Why don't you try this sausage? *unzips*

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

i bought a blender today

Your move.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

naem posted:

I don't know but I just ate an entire rotisserie chicken

It's life force is now one with my own

Well yeah I got a rotisserie chicken too because I'm too poor to o buy more than two ounces of Iberico. It was 160 bucks a pound. I don't regret spending 20 to try it once but holy poo poo I cannot imagine spending the money to buy a pound.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

getting elbow surgery on wednesday

excited to fix all my problems.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Have fun with your future paralyzed, claw-like hand

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

i work at a rehab clinic and one of the girls i was working with lost her foot to mrsa

she was like "oh yeah i had my surgery at the place youre having yours best of luck with that"

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

Lol if you don't have a constant protein IV drip going.

IT BEGINS

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Enjoy being bald.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Blender Update: Tried a shake with 2 scoops of that 4:1 casein to whey protein from myprotein, with like, a giant handful of spinach last night. Woke up this morning sick to my stomach

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

creatine is okay if you like feeling bloated all the time, but salami will also do this for you

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
yeah well monohydrate sucks but in my experience creatine HCL doesn't have the bloat effect

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
i've never felt bloated from creatine

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Dilber posted:

Go talk to a different doctor. I have the same issue (secondary hypogonadism), and they put me on clomid. I'm now around 1000. Unfortunately my estradiol shot up and I gained 15 pounds in a month of bad weight with no diet changes. Thanks to that they added an AI to me and now I'm good.

Low t sucks.

I'm still working on finding the cause of my hypothyroidism and 50 year old man test. The doctor I spoke to tonight seemed genuinely interested in addressing my concerns rather than just thinking im seeking prescribed test, which is a nice change of pace. Like I can get a bottle of T400 for under $50 boys, not here to try and get big.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
my preworkout powdah has creatine in it so im stuck with THE BLOAT

naem
May 29, 2011

Pretty sure I just pooped out that entire chicken I ate

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

i've never felt bloated from creatine

The only bloat is in my huge creatine ridden muscles

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I went from 135 to 185 in 3 months in the summer between my sophomore and junior year of high school. I had 4 giant cytogainer shakes a day and lifted twice a day.

Worst protein shits ever but sick gainz

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

naem posted:

Pretty sure I just pooped out that entire chicken I ate

the circle of life

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

buddhanc posted:

I went from 135 to 185 in 3 months in the summer between my sophomore and junior year of high school. I had 4 giant cytogainer shakes a day and lifted twice a day.

Worst protein shits ever but sick gainz

hello fellow fat-man

naem
May 29, 2011

Zzulu posted:

the circle of life

It's might have been all the food I ate before the chicken, that the chicken pushed along my digestive tract, in which case tomorrow will have an evernb bBETTER poop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
chicken is good

lets all have a silent moment to honor all the chickens who give their lives to become fuel for our beautiful bodies