Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Motto posted:

I'm not a STG guy, is there anything wrong with the actual touhou games other than the guy's drawing skills?

Nah, some of them are pretty good and some of them are aren't so much. They're all pretty ugly though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Motto posted:

I'm not a STG guy, is there anything wrong with the actual touhou games other than the guy's drawing skills?

the people playing them

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

No one plays touhou games dude

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Has there been any recent First/Third-person Fantasy RPGs other than Witcher/TES series?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FillInTheBlank posted:

Has there been any recent First/Third-person Fantasy RPGs other than Witcher/TES series?

Dragon Age.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FillInTheBlank posted:

Does Dragon's Dogma count? That got a pretty recent PC port.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I got hit hard by the flu today. I don't even want to play video games. I've never been too sick for video games in thirty and a half years.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wildtortilla posted:

I got hit hard by the flu today. I don't even want to play video games. I've never been too sick for video games in thirty and a half years.

Play Tetris in your head.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

play doctor mario FEVER

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Anyone try the Dark Souls 3 DLC yet?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Spoiler: it's good.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

:woop:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
It's aite

More of the same, pretty cool but nothing cray cray

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

So the new Dark Souls 3 DLC is supposed to be good right? I'm still at the beginning so maybe it'll change, but it's aggravating as opposed to challenging.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Ometeotl posted:

So the new Dark Souls 3 DLC is supposed to be good right? I'm still at the beginning so maybe it'll change, but it's aggravating as opposed to challenging.

let me check

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Spoiler: it's good.

KingSlime posted:

It's aite

More of the same, pretty cool but nothing cray cray

verdict is alright to good

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

as a huge, long time fan of the series, I agree

To get into more detail: it's just more DS3, which is in essence aggravating as opposed to challenging

thinking back to my first playthrough, I distinctly remembering thinking "this isn't as fun as it's supposed to be...."

I still assert that they could have dialed the bullshit down quite a bit and we'd have an even better product, I'm not even going to go back and do the extra DLC boss because that poo poo isn't fun (and am struggling to rack up the will to beat the actual DLC final boss, memorizing a ton of moves and chipping away the health of an ultra aggressive foe who can two-shot me just isn't fun anymore)

Bloodborne was so good though, wonder if from is just cranking too much poo poo too quickly

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Ometeotl posted:

it's aggravating as opposed to challenging.

yup

KingSlime posted:

To get into more detail: it's just more DS3, which is in essence aggravating as opposed to challenging

yup yup yup

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Can't believe they finally made dark souls too hard

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
it's happened

I've gone hollow after 5 games

kinda feeling a bloodborne replay though

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I still haven't gotten to a boss yet and I've already dealt with annoying enemies that spawn in from all directions, scripted falls that kill me anyway, multiple "run between cover or die" sections.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
no, you're supposed to react with anger that anyone could criticize the magic darling series that is dark souls

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Ometeotl posted:

I still haven't gotten to a boss yet and I've already dealt with annoying enemies that spawn in from all directions, scripted falls that kill me anyway, multiple "run between cover or die" sections.

All this makes me want to play it even more

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

no, you're supposed to react with anger that anyone could criticize the magic darling series that is dark souls

Nice meltdown

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
the new DLC is like the worst one out of the entire series. I can't believe they thought it would be fun having multiple times you have to duck and cover. Even when you finally get to the city they spam even more enemies than the worst rooms in Brume Tower. It's so disappointing this is the final one :(

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ometeotl posted:

There are even more of those sections later :suicide:

The dlc had 2 decent bosses but the rest of the content was boring or just annoying bullshit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FillInTheBlank posted:

Divinity: Original Sin is okayy

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Ometeotl posted:

Most of the bosses and levels will first come off as impossible deep dickings, but most sources of frustration have a simple solution. Considering how easy and short DLC1 was, it was a welcome change (still kind of short, though).

DOUBLE CLICK HERE fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 4, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I managed to convince my wife Persona 5 would be here by her birthday in a few days

it's downloading right now

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
One thing I like about Platinum games is that they're really good about not penalizing you too harshly for dying or making you waste a lot of time re-playing to get to where you were the last time you failed. I could never get into Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry because they both had lives systems that made you lose your upgrade currency or replay entire levels over from the beginning, even back in God Hand you had infinite continues and could restart from the beginning of each loading screen with only a penalty to your end-of-level score. I think that's also why their crummy minigame levels sting so much, they're usually so good at cutting out the bullshit that a protracted unskippable shmup/endless runner feels even worse by comparison.

Also, Steam Greenlight has hit a new dubious milestone: We Happy Few got optioned for a film adaptation before they finished actually making the game.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I'm trying to preorder persona 5 from PSN but it says that I can't, the web store gave me an unspecified error and PSN on the console says that the title is unavailable at the moment

why is this happening to me

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Probably because you caught it just as it switches over from a pre-order to a plain old normal order and PSN is not clever

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Help Im Alive posted:

Who came up with shmup and can we change it to something else

You can just call it a shoot-em-up but think of all the total time throughout your life you're going to waste by typing the long version.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Probably because you caught it just as it switches over from a pre-order to a plain old normal order and PSN is not clever

oh that's okay then

does that mean I can play tonight?? I got two to three pages of academic research+writing to do and if so uhh I better get crackin'

E: Oh my god yes, looks like the countdown is for three hours from now??? perf

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

KingSlime posted:

I'm trying to preorder persona 5 from PSN but it says that I can't, the web store gave me an unspecified error and PSN on the console says that the title is unavailable at the moment

why is this happening to me

Same thing happened to me an hour ago, it eventually went through.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Disgaea PC is the first tactical RPG that actually feels like what a tactical RPG should feel to me. I dunno why but its a genre that I want to love but most of the games just never click for me so I am really excited I found one that has finally work.

Also its a perfect podcast game. And I like the prinnies

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm happy to see Disgaea 1 & 2 are on PC and I hope the rest of the series comes to PC. I still need to get Disgaea 5.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
erm

how do i even activate my pre-download

this is bizarrely unintuitive and reminds me of my vita/ps3 days

some things never change eh

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Check your library?
I've only ever preordered like two things from PSN and they were well in advance and downloaded automatically.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Ah the download starts automatically? My googlin' suggested that you can pre-download like any normal download but the option isn't there

Oh well, still hyped, I was totally not counting on playing tonight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dueling Bandsaws
Mar 3, 2016

Snooze Cruise posted:

Disgaea PC is the first tactical RPG that actually feels like what a tactical RPG should feel to me. I dunno why but its a genre that I want to love but most of the games just never click for me so I am really excited I found one that has finally work.

Also its a perfect podcast game. And I like the prinnies

After playing multiple games in the series, I think the reason you like it may be the reason I fell out of love with it despite liking tactical RPGs in general: the tactical RPG aspect is mostly nominal. The ultimate goal of the Disgaea grind is to create a character that can solo entire stages like FF:T Cid on steroids and meth, which at a certain point means positioning and tactics become irrelevant because your uber unit can brute force through everything in their path. The Geo Effects mechanic has also never actually been all that well utilized, despite being a major mechanic in all of the games: every game has a world that emphasizes geo effect puzzles/setups, and they are almost all universally terrible unfun slogs.

Dueling Bandsaws fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 4, 2017

• Locked thread