Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Porpoise With A Purpose posted:

Its a shame vanguards are hot garbage on gold, they were so much fun in ME3

wat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Its a shame vanguards are hot garbage on gold, they were so much fun in ME3

An extremely wrong post.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

My vanguard loving melts if I leave cover for more than a microsecond, so Im not really sure why id want to play a class who's whole schtick is flying out of cover

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is the starting sniper rifle usable at rank X on gold? I have my Widow 1 and my Infiltrator at X and 20, would like to start running golds but apparently the difference between I and X guns is now huge?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

My vanguard loving melts if I leave cover for more than a microsecond, so Im not really sure why id want to play a class who's whole schtick is flying out of cover

charge, punch everything and steal shields

i mean you can't be as crazy aggressive on gold but it's viable

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Pierson posted:

Is the starting sniper rifle usable at rank X on gold? I have my Widow 1 and my Infiltrator at X and 20, would like to start running golds but apparently the difference between I and X guns is now huge?
Never tried it. I don't think it's got enough damage to kill a mook in a single mag though, even with a cloaked shot.

I could be wrong.

Between charge and nova you have about 4 seconds worth of invincibility frames, charging and punching restore your barriers, and if specced right you have constant ~40% damage resist.

I think the more pertinent question here is, how are you dying?!?

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 3, 2017

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Im dying because I charge, immediately get stagged and then die before i can headbutt again.

Spamming grenades as an infiltrator is infinitely easier and less dependent on the host not having a 56k connection.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

You are using the charge 6b talent? it gives a lot of damage resist. My human vanguard can charge into piles of gold enemies and survive relatively unscathed. Even soloed the first few waves of a random gold outlaw match while waiting for people to join. Level 20 rank X o/c.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Im dying because I charge, immediately get stagged and then die before i can headbutt again.
You've got to pick your targets, you can't just blindly slam into a pack and faceroll your way out of it like on bronze/silver.

The various vanguards are probably the most played classes on gold at the moment though.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Not sure how the widow holds up but the isharay kills mooks in a single headshot or cloaked bodyshot, and stronger non-boss enemies in 2-3. I'd really bring the thermal clip attachment though.

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009

Spamming grenades as an infiltrator is infinitely easier and less dependent on the host not having a 56k connection.

Your doing it wrong then. All the vanguard classes are some of the best in gold right now.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

I feel like you guys are playing a different game, any time I see a vanguard in gold Im picking them up off the ground every other round.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of people heard how good they are but didn't bother to read how to actually make it work and so are just playing them like poo poo (see: charging into massive crowds instead of picking people off), because nah man vanguards are really great in gold.

Or maybe it's just not the class for you. I get how good infiltrators are in general right now but I play like rear end with them for whatever reason :shrug:

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Well, looking at the skills, Krogans can't get shields back on melee, so maybe Im just playing the wrong vanguard.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
The Krogan has to rely more on regening with rage and just buffing DR up to silly numbers with rage and fortify. I find it's harder to play than a human. Kills a little faster with his even crazier melee bonuses, but not as safe, I think.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Human vanguard is crazy powerful with either of the charge evolutions. I ran bastion for a bit but respeced into shocktrooper for maximum novasplosions. charge, nova, punch, charge, explode.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Krogan: Get fortify to rank 5 for survivability, then work on getting rage to 6, then on getting charge to 6. Get the ability that makes your health regenerate to 100% while rage is up. It will give you an enormous buffer and let you start every wave at 100%. Obviously, use the juggernaut shield and a pistol or shotgun with the melee optimizer. With rage up you will be able to kill gold chumps in nearly two headbutts, and one after a charge if you put a couple bullets into them (revenant is good for this) which will give you the momentum to keep rage going constantly. Don't charge into the middle of 9 enemies like a moron, find groups of 3 or so and stay moving. If your shields are down, your charge is on cooldown, and you're not right next to the enemies, get behind the nearest cover and blindfire for a second. Power cooldown boosters are extremely valuable on gold for this setup.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

8th-snype posted:

Human vanguard is crazy powerful with either of the charge evolutions. I ran bastion for a bit but respeced into shocktrooper for maximum novasplosions. charge, nova, punch, charge, explode.

Human Vanguard specced with minimum shockwave and maximum everything else in the manner of novaguard sounds ridiculously good at living.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

RBA Starblade posted:

Human Vanguard specced with minimum shockwave and maximum everything else in the manner of novaguard sounds ridiculously good at living.

Having that one point in Shockwave is surprisingly useful too, since it's both a detonator and a stagger-er

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Granted, you can't NOT have that point in anyway :v:

As mentioned, there's a few totally good ways to build the human vanguard. Either charge 6 is really fine just make sure you have one of them. I prefer 6b but try both yourself and decide what works for you. Either nova is fine and it's not critical anyway, I prefer 6a and have posted about that already so I won't rehash. I can see a legit build that uses shockwave instead, but haven't really cared enough to bother making a case for any particular evolutions for it. You definitely need barrier 5b. I'd also pick barrier 6b every time over 6a, but I can see a case for 6a. Pair with juggernaut shield and a melee optimizer attached to a shotgun you won't fire, stir and serve.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 4, 2017

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Whoever decided you should be able to be melee interrupted out of devices or power animations should be fed into a woodchipper.

Also gently caress these pubbies making Apex Mission lobbies and then changing it to custom, that poo poo is annoying. The lobby should be locked to the Apex Mission once you create it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah HuVan on Gold is a chill experience. KroVan needs max Fortify and at least 5 points in Rage but he gets it done too.

My hotness right now is KroEng with Vanquisher and Eagle. Explode things, staggering them so I can pop them in the head, repeat.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Basically once you get charge and barrier maxed on the human vanguard you have to try pretty hard to die. What I find obnoxious is how long it takes to kill things. Even with a character kitted out with both skills and equipment for maximum melee damage it takes a charge, nova, and two punches to kill a basic trooper enemy.

I don't really like that they brought the jumpjets and thrust dodging to multiplayer as default for all classes, i think it takes away some of the uniqueness that high-mobility classes had in ME3. High ground and positioning is basically trivial when even krogans can zip around and any enemy can jump 20 feet in the air.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
I've been rocking the Turian and Human soldiers, both with Sustained Fire and a Revenant/Raptor combo. I've never seen Hydras go down so fast.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Gangringo posted:

Basically once you get charge and barrier maxed on the human vanguard you have to try pretty hard to die. What I find obnoxious is how long it takes to kill things. Even with a character kitted out with both skills and equipment for maximum melee damage it takes a charge, nova, and two punches to kill a basic trooper enemy.

I don't really like that they brought the jumpjets and thrust dodging to multiplayer as default for all classes, i think it takes away some of the uniqueness that high-mobility classes had in ME3. High ground and positioning is basically trivial when even krogans can zip around and any enemy can jump 20 feet in the air.

Don't charge->nova unless you really need the invincibility/crowd control. It's slower and does less damage than punching, and you're missing out on some of your charge's punch boost window! It's still 2-3 punches for gold nooks, but you're still killing faster than pretty much anything else outside of (impossible) vanquished/valiant head shots.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Lightning Knight posted:

Also gently caress these pubbies making Apex Mission lobbies and then changing it to custom, that poo poo is annoying. The lobby should be locked to the Apex Mission once you create it.
It resets to custom after the game ends and people stick around.

Try not immediately leaving when that happens, often you end up being the host yourself with one or two others, and then you can change it back.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Is the vanquisher better than the black widow? They seem to be the same style of gun so Id assume the black widow is slightly better due to its ranking.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Vanquisher has less of a recoil and feels smoother to handle. There's also some mumblings about it having too much of a damage modifier against weakpoints, but nothing confirmed, I think. Other than that, it's rare, so you can get it to rank X faster than you could the Black Widow.

That said, I still prefer the Black Widow. Looks better, sounds better and deals with hard targets better.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Zakmonster posted:

Vanquisher has less of a recoil and feels smoother to handle. There's also some mumblings about it having too much of a damage modifier against weakpoints, but nothing confirmed, I think. Other than that, it's rare, so you can get it to rank X faster than you could the Black Widow.

That said, I still prefer the Black Widow. Looks better, sounds better and deals with hard targets better.

After being stuck with the Isharay since launch, the last 5 games or so have been amazing now that I have the black widow, but I see people running around with vanquisher Xs just destroying gold like its a joke.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Is the vanquisher better than the black widow? They seem to be the same style of gun so Id assume the black widow is slightly better due to its ranking.

Vanquisher fires faster with low recoil and has a slightly larger clip whereas the Black Widow does more damage however generally it's not enough to make it kill in one less shot so overall since it take the same amount of shots to kill with either one, the vanquisher is better. Plus it's easier to max out

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, the damage breakpoints are what really sets the Window back. Both Rifles kill mooks with a single headshot and midrange enemies on a double-tap, so the extra damage doesn't end up mattering as much as a bigger clip or less recoil.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, the damage breakpoints are what really sets the Window back. Both Rifles kill mooks with a single headshot and midrange enemies on a double-tap, so the extra damage doesn't end up mattering as much as a bigger clip or less recoil.

Don't raiders take three shots for the Vanquisher on Gold? I had a terrible game least night where I was flubbing headshots and raiders were taking three shots with a Vanq 2 w/ barrel and a sniper amp 1.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

chami posted:

Don't raiders take three shots for the Vanquisher on Gold? I had a terrible game least night where I was flubbing headshots and raiders were taking three shots with a Vanq 2 w/ barrel and a sniper amp 1.

I'm not sure about the Vanq, but it definitely only takes 2 bodyshots with the BW to kill a mook.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, for bodyshots it's 3 vs 2, but headshots are super easy in this game and even when you're whiffing the smaller clip and longer reload on the BW means you're not even killing that much faster.

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, for bodyshots it's 3 vs 2, but headshots are super easy in this game when your the host

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Which ties neatly into a follow-up point: always be hosting.

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009
This is my favorite thing to do in game far from effective but fun add hell

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/rk8Uqa0

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Some Zero posted:

This is my favorite thing to do in game far from effective but fun add hell

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/rk8Uqa0

A lot of Kineticists are doing this now. I tagged along with one on Bronze seeing how far they could launch outlaws off a cliff. Biotic punch high fives for getting them to hit protruding rocks.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

ShadowHawk posted:

It resets to custom after the game ends and people stick around.

Try not immediately leaving when that happens, often you end up being the host yourself with one or two others, and then you can change it back.

Haha that's so dumb.

I wouldn't care if the game wouldn't still consider it to be valid to matchmake into as an Apex Mission lobby.

I ran a few Golds yesterday, the jump from Silver to Gold feels way less steep than the jump from Bronze to Silver did, but I'm running Novaguard with Jug so that's probably why.

Revive and melee being the same button is absolute cancer.

I had two Apex Missions where the modifier was -50% weapon damage/+200% weakpoint damage and weapons actually killed poo poo if you aimed high. They really do honestly need to give most of the weapon inventory an across the board 30-50% damage buff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

But haven't you heard? There's nothing wrong with the weapons, you just need to grind until you unlock them all 9 more times and then they're fine! *shoots halfheartedly at bronze enemy, then uses melee for rest of match*

• Locked thread