Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TKIY posted:

Hastings confirmed the mega Marines. The picture might not have been true but the rumor is.
I'm starting to wonder if "Mega Marines" was just garbled information referring to the Custodes.

Bad Moon posted:

They also said all your old armies would be around in the glorious age of Sigmar

They are. You can get all of the army scrolls online, as well as in the General's Handbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm starting to wonder if "Mega Marines" was just garbled information referring to the Custodes.

They are. You can get all of the army scrolls online, as well as in the General's Handbook.

Which is possibly the cheapest and most dishonest way of doing so. It's safe to assume that for most players, being around meant "supported and possibly getting new releases and a role in the story", not "barebones underpowered legacy stuff with embarrassingly silly jokes".

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Iceclaw posted:

Which is possibly the cheapest and most dishonest way of doing so. It's safe to assume that for most players, being around meant "supported and possibly getting new releases and a role in the story", not "barebones underpowered legacy stuff with embarrassingly silly jokes".

Oh, I completely agree - the way GW handled legacy armies was a total embarrassment, and certainly turned me off to AoS completely. That being said, they have gone back and removed that stupid poo poo (as far as I can tell, anyway.)

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

They're cynical fucks who release unforgivably buggy games for premium prices.

Don't give Sega money.

Total Warhammer was pretty great at release and in 100 hours played I never encountered a single noteworthy bug. :confused: Rome 2 otoh was released in a unforgivable state, but that's the only TW game I remember being particularly bad at release. Total Warhammer is really good, I'm gonna buy Total Warhammer 2 once reviews confirm it's good (never preorder games, you idiots).

Also Chaos was locked behind a DLC paywall that cost 7$, not behind preorders. Uncool? Definitely, but par for the course for modern triple-A gaming.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Leperflesh posted:

TWLM just beat me to it but, yup, thanks to goons, and friends and family on Facebook, we blasted past our funding goal today. Less than three days and people have fully covered Crash the cat's medical expenses. I honestly thought maybe we'd raise $200.

The donation that put us past our goal today was a $200 donation from a goon from this thread. I really don't know how to express how touched we are. We're in a position now where we won't have to make a hard decision about cutting off medical support due to the costs. Crash might make it or he might not... but if he doesn't make it, it won't be because we had to draw a line and say "no, we can't afford any more treatment."

Now that we've invested all this money in Crash, make sure to kill it and bring us a new, shittier cat.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Leperflesh posted:

TWLM just beat me to it but, yup, thanks to goons, and friends and family on Facebook, we blasted past our funding goal today. Less than three days and people have fully covered Crash the cat's medical expenses. I honestly thought maybe we'd raise $200.

The donation that put us past our goal today was a $200 donation from a goon from this thread. I really don't know how to express how touched we are. We're in a position now where we won't have to make a hard decision about cutting off medical support due to the costs. Crash might make it or he might not... but if he doesn't make it, it won't be because we had to draw a line and say "no, we can't afford any more treatment."

Please go on about your business, and remember GW is bad.

I guess when you have a community that thinks $40 is a good price for a bunch of ancient tiny soldiers and pays $7 for a pewter butt, a $900 isn't too much for a good cat.

I mean that's about the same cost as that bundle of Imperial Knights, and I'm pretty sure the cat would win every time.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Crackbone posted:

Now that we've invested all this money in Crash, make sure to kill it and bring us a new, shittier cat.

HollisMason could use the skull.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Geisladisk posted:

Total Warhammer was pretty great at release and in 100 hours played I never encountered a single noteworthy bug. :confused: Rome 2 otoh was released in a unforgivable state, but that's the only TW game I remember being particularly bad at release. Total Warhammer is really good, I'm gonna buy Total Warhammer 2 once reviews confirm it's good (never preorder games, you idiots).

Also Chaos was locked behind a DLC paywall that cost 7$, not behind preorders. Uncool? Definitely, but par for the course for modern triple-A gaming.

Chaos was going to be pre-orders only until a huge PR poo poo storm rightly kicked off. Making it DLC was them buckling.

Empire Total War shipped with the AI naval invasion ability switched off. One of the major selling point features of the game knowingly disabled until well after release. Which is false advertising. Medieval 2 had an AI bug where the enemy would besiege you and instead of assaulting your walls you would have to sally or starve. Negating the point of castles. Napoleon had the map sea level set to the level of clifftops, meaning units deploying on beaches were either not valid targets to interact with, or moved incredibly slowly.
These are obvious and game breaking examples of bad game design.

Do not give Sega money.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Medieval 2 had an AI bug where the enemy would besiege you and instead of assaulting your walls you would have to sally or starve. Negating the point of castles.
These are obvious and game breaking examples of bad game design.

Do not give Sega money.

Correct me if I have misunderstood, but err... that's the point of a siege for the assaillant, though: Wait for the defenders to starve or surrender.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The whole point of a castle is that if the enemy chooses to assault you they have to breach the walls.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, but why would they, considering they can wait you out? I mean, from the defender point of view, it meant being safe until reinforcements came or the attacker couldn't wait any longer.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

The whole point of a castle is that if the enemy chooses to assault you they have to breach the walls.

So the bug was that they just chose not to assault you?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Castle assaults almost literally didn't happen historically until the advent of cannons (which made castles obsolete anyway). You sieged a castle for months until the defenders were either all dead from starvation or surrendered.

Total Warhammer was great, I'm sure TWH 2 will also be great, every TW game I've played except Rome 2 has been great, I'ma keep giving Sega money, thanks. :)

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Sorry if I was unclear. What I meant was that having chosen to instigate a tactical map assault to resolve matters without waiting however many turns for the siege timer to run down (or because you had reinforcements coming), the AI would then sit unresponsive (failed AI state) outside your walls and not do anything for the duration of the battle, and then win by default. Unless you left your walls and routed them in the open, which should not be the mandatory way of winning the "defend your walls" scenario.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah, playing as a human player, I wanted them to try and assault me. I lost more men trying to climb walls than forcing an early rout and massacre in an open field. I thought it was always weird that they usually assaulted earlier rather than later.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sorry if I was unclear. What I meant was that having chosen to instigate a tactical map assault to resolve matters without waiting however many turns for the siege timer to run down (or because you had reinforcements coming), the AI would then sit unresponsive (failed AI state) outside your walls and not do anything for the duration of the battle, and then win by default. Unless you left your walls and routed them in the open, which should not be the mandatory way of winning the "defend your walls" scenario.

Oh yeah I remember a game with this bug. It stopped happening later but I guess this was it. It was kinda funny since my gates would just pour out an entire legion and eat up their attackers, who were stringed around the outside, one by one.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Chaos was going to be pre-orders only until a huge PR poo poo storm rightly kicked off. Making it DLC was them buckling.

It is staggering how wrong you are.

Every single pre-order dlc for every total war game was purchasable at launch. Every last one. The only thing they did differently with chaos was that you could still receive it for free if you purchased the game in the first week of its release.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Do not give Sega money.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I'm Six-Sigmar Certified to say: Games Workshop is good.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Do not give Sega money.

Nah fam, I prefer to give my money to good companies like Creative Assembly instead of GW

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Giving money to CA/Sega years later as part of the bundle is the acceptable action, just like buying secondhand hams as has been stated in this thread multiple times. That's when they've fixed the bugs anyway.*

*CA, not GW

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

LordAbaddon posted:

Every single pre-order dlc for every total war game was purchasable at launch. Every last one. The only thing they did differently with chaos was that you could still receive it for free if you purchased the game in the first week of its release.

I don't know who is correct here but what you're saying doesn't actually contradict what he's saying.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Thirsty Dog posted:

I don't know who is correct here but what you're saying doesn't actually contradict what he's saying.

The point is that CA have never made DLC exclusive to people who pre-ordered without offering it as DLC after the game was released. The idea that Chaos was only going to be available through pre-order is not only a complete fabrication but contradicts the way that CA have handled pre-order content for every other Total War game that has had it.

The Greek States Culture Pack for Rome 2 was a pre-order bonus and is currently purchasable on steam.
The Viking Forefathers Culture Pack for Attila was a pre-order bonus and, like the previous one, is currently purchasable on steam.

There has never been anything to suggest that Chaos would be treated differently.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah it was basically people making a likely false assumption and then declaring victory when CA/Sega pointed out that no, chaos was not some kind of preorder exclusive that would never be available later.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

panascope posted:

I'm Six-Sigmar Certified to say: Games Workshop is good.

:shittypop:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

LordAbaddon posted:

it is staggering how much you feel the need to defend a corporation that makes millions of dollars

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In this thread, we are happy to attack GW, but many of us also point out when the attacks make no sense or are based on incorrect information. The same standard can and should be applied elsewhere.

Nobody has to agree that Sega is a good company or whatever, but if you're going to say "don't by warhammer: total war" you should not base that on simply wrong information about the game. That's not helpful.

Warhammer: Total War was not a buggy problem release and Sega did not at any time claim that the Chaos campaign was going to be restricted to only people who preordered the game. They offered it as a free bonus to preorders, but it was clearly always going to be DLC.

If you've been burned by previous Total War releases and don't feel like Sega has done enough to earn back your hard-earned game dollars, that's fine, I feel exactly the same way about Games Workshop.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Sega is a horrendous company and people still giving them money are loving idiots. Sonic died years ago, it's just a mess now. The sooner their publishing arm goes the way of their console operation the better.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

In this thread, we are happy to attack GW, but many of us also point out when the attacks make no sense or are based on incorrect information. The same standard can and should be applied elsewhere.

The last 40 pages or whatever of this thread are a compelling corpus of evidence against this assertion, friendo.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Nobody has to agree that Sega is a good company or whatever, but if you're going to say "don't by warhammer: total war" you should not base that on simply wrong information about the game. That's not helpful.

Warhammer: Total War was not a buggy problem release and Sega did not at any time claim that the Chaos campaign was going to be restricted to only people who preordered the game. They offered it as a free bonus to preorders, but it was clearly always going to be DLC.

If you've been burned by previous Total War releases and don't feel like Sega has done enough to earn back your hard-earned game dollars, that's fine, I feel exactly the same way about Games Workshop.

:ironicat:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

i cant believe this thread will kickstart a dead cat but won't give money to a good company

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
:siren: GIVE CATS MONEY !!! :siren:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

tallkidwithglasses posted:

The last 40 pages or whatever of this thread are a compelling corpus of evidence against this assertion, friendo.

What, you mean where people were arguing with quotations from other threads or websites? I don't know what that proves, exactly.

Sega is a horrendous company and people still giving them money are loving idiots. Sonic died years ago, it's just a mess now. The sooner their publishing arm goes the way of their console operation the better.

The parallel here is fabulous, because much like GW, wishful thinking isn't going to make Sega's game publishing arm go away. Especially not now, when it's wildly successful financially.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Actually, that just proves my point that Sega will be gone in the next two or three years. They can ride on cuts and savings for now, but not in the long term.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Actually, that just proves my point that Sega will be gone in the next two or three years. They can ride on cuts and savings for now, but not in the long term.

I'm sure all their quality Sonic the Hedgehog games will keep them afoat.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hm.
http://segabits.com/blog/2017/02/11/sega-sammy-third-quarter-review-fiscal-year-ending-2017/

Sega certainly seems to have some challenges, but it's tough to argue with rising revenue and sales in their core businesses. Certainly getting into the resort business was an error, but the writedown they're going to take

quote:

an extraordinary loss incurred in the Resort Business from the sales of Joypolis shares (¥1.4 billion loss) and ceasing the development of Busan Metropolitan City in South Korea (¥3.4 billion loss)
is just a footnote compared to their total business

quote:

total sales increased from last year’s result of ¥245 billion and reaching ¥285.7 billion for this year. Not only that, but operating income has grown a healthy amount, climbing from ¥12.6 billion to ¥35.3 billion – more than double from the previous year.

Feel free to predict how sega's going to lose so much of those sales that they'll be gone in two or three years. I honestly don't see it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The gamer nerd's approach to assessing the financial health of the targets of their ire continues to be super lazy, in that it only takes five minutes to google for these public company's financial records and see how they're actually doing.

But please, continue to declare SEGA dead because sonic the hedgehog something something

I don't even have a stake in how SEGA does. I've been a fan of the total war series and felt like warhammer: total war was an excellent new game that really showed how much creative assembly has upped their game, but aside from that, I just don't care at all. If SEGA collapses, some other publisher will be happy to get CA's business.

But I do usually find it interesting to test nerd handwaving financial theories against actual information and see how they hold up.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 4, 2017

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Hm.
http://segabits.com/blog/2017/02/11/sega-sammy-third-quarter-review-fiscal-year-ending-2017/

Sega certainly seems to have some challenges, but it's tough to argue with rising revenue and sales in their core businesses. Certainly getting into the resort business was an error, but the writedown they're going to take

is just a footnote compared to their total business

Feel free to predict how sega's going to lose so much of those sales that they'll be gone in two or three years. I honestly don't see it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You keep posting ironicat. ...I'm not sure it means what you think it means.

Maybe instead of lazy shitposting, you could clearly state a coherent position or opinion of some kind?

ijyt posted:

So what do you call being the minority railing against a successful company on a dead forum

Please keep railing against successful company Sega on this dead comedy forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

You keep posting ironicat. ...I'm not sure it means what you think it means.

Maybe instead of lazy shitposting, you could clearly state a coherent position or opinion of some kind?

Please keep railing against successful company Sega on this dead comedy forum

Games workshop good

Death thread bad

Simple enough for you?

• Locked thread