Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

GrossMurpel posted:

Have you checked the game logs to see if it's always the same event just before you crash?

I either don't get, or can't find, logs for Vic2 :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

spectralent posted:

I either don't get, or can't find, logs for Vic2 :(

Documents/Paradox Interactive/Victoria 2/logs
I think the events are in game.log or something like that, and maybe error.log will be helpful.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

GrossMurpel posted:

Documents/Paradox Interactive/Victoria 2/logs
I think the events are in game.log or something like that, and maybe error.log will be helpful.

Oooh.

That's a bit annoying, HOI4 just barfs a log at you when it hits errors.

Nothing in there that says any events triggered; the most recent is:

code:
[frontend.cpp:725]: 

[[ Launching SINGLEPLAYER-game ]]
	Start-date: 1891.7.31
Karens is Persia in the legacy game but there's nothing beyond that to suggest why it crashed.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Groogy's desk has a book about tank usage in ww2 on it but he can't read so it stays unopened

small heh

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Jazerus posted:

Keep your chins up, fellas, and remember what they always say:

"The courage follows the bravery"

Found a neat mug for our friends at Paradox.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

They AINT your friends.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stellaris is what happens when someone goes 'imagine estate management from EU4 or planned economy in V2 except that's the only gameplay feature'

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Larry Parrish posted:

Stellaris is what happens when someone goes 'imagine estate management from EU4 or planned economy in V2 except that's the only gameplay feature'

But the economy from V2 had more than 3 resources though and pops that could care about multiple things and have populations :(

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Is Victoria's Secret still a thing? I feel like I haven't stiller a jokey tweet posted about it in ages.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Neopie posted:

Is Victoria's Secret still a thing? I feel like I haven't stiller a jokey tweet posted about it in ages.

It is, but I've been really busy with Utopia. Plan to get back to it after the expansion is out.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Are you really legally allowed to call it Victoria's Secret? It seems like you shouldn't be.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Are you really legally allowed to call it Victoria's Secret? It seems like you shouldn't be.

It's actually named Victorian Secrets. Not that it matters while it's just a hobby project sitting on my personal computer.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted:

It's actually named Victorian Secrets. Not that it matters while it's just a hobby project sitting on my personal computer.

My wife calls CK2 "That princess dating game" or "That princess breeding game"

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Have you tried Princess Maker?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Medieval Eugenics Simulator

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I'd need to go dust off some copyright and/or trade mark case law but I think so long as Wiz didn't start selling lingerie he'd probably be fine. Since they are in completely different fields of business (software vs. clothing) you could probably successfully argue that there would be little overlap in consumers, little confusion of one for the other and that he's not using their fame or branding to sell a product without due compensation and credit.

Now, whether he'd want to spend the time and money arguing that in court is another matter.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Baronjutter posted:

Long Live the Queen!!

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Over at MapGoons, this happened:

It was great but everyone has become a burning husk of death. Good times.

If you want to join the next EUIV multiplayer clusterfuck, signups are over here. Don't be afraid if you haven't played before! You will quickly learn that we are all, in fact, terrible.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Which country is which?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Purple is obviously Malaya, dark green is Kilwa, light green is some Nubian country? Lavender looks like Shu, white is a daimyo (Uesugi?), pink I want to say is Livonian Order but I'm probably wrong, and I have no idea what puke green or red are.

How close am I?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Fister Roboto posted:

Purple is obviously Malaya, dark green is Kilwa, light green is some Nubian country? Lavender looks like Shu, white is a daimyo (Uesugi?), pink I want to say is Livonian Order but I'm probably wrong, and I have no idea what puke green or red are.

How close am I?

Quite close. Players at game end were Wu, Shu, Uesugi, Malaya, Bharat, Mewar, PLC, Kilwa. I think we started with twenty five?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Obliterati posted:

If you want to join the next EUIV multiplayer clusterfuck, signups are over here. Don't be afraid if you haven't played before! You will quickly learn that we are all, in fact, terrible.

Get this loving map gore marked NSFW

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Obliterati posted:

are you never gonna finish ur LP lol

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Who sailed around the world to colonize Florida

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've been playing a lot of Vicky 2 lately (not sure why - just got the itch I guess), and man, while it's nice to play as Prussia and set up a huge front line across your entire border, actually controlling it all is a real pain. It's worse if you use mobilized troops just because of how much of a pain it is to get them all organized.

What I'd love to see in Victoria 3, assuming they kept the same general style of units, is some kind of combination of EU4's army templates and HOI4's battle planner. Basically you could set up a template like 5 infantry/2 artillery/1 engineer/1 hussar/1 dragoon or something, then draw a front line and set that template on it. Then you'd just assign units to the front and they would automatically try to distribute themselves along the front line in the ratios defined in the template (if there aren't enough units to fill it perfectly, you could probably have a toggle on the front to tell it to either try to cover the entire front as best as possible, or match the template as best as possible). It would make mobilization so much less of a pain if you could have them arrange themselves evenly along the front, rather than just walking to the closest rally point to their home province.

I'd also hope that the province shapes are a little less stupid in Victoria 3. There are some extremely annoying spots to try to cover just because of the nonsensical borders between zones.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Deceitful Penguin posted:

are you never gonna finish ur LP lol

not emptyquoting this just agreeing with it hard

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd be happy with being able to build reserve units as essentially empty units, just piles of supplies and logistics with a minimal upkeep cost. When you mobilize these units gain strength.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I've been playing a lot of Vicky 2 lately (not sure why - just got the itch I guess), and man, while it's nice to play as Prussia and set up a huge front line across your entire border, actually controlling it all is a real pain. It's worse if you use mobilized troops just because of how much of a pain it is to get them all organized.

What I'd love to see in Victoria 3, assuming they kept the same general style of units, is some kind of combination of EU4's army templates and HOI4's battle planner. Basically you could set up a template like 5 infantry/2 artillery/1 engineer/1 hussar/1 dragoon or something, then draw a front line and set that template on it. Then you'd just assign units to the front and they would automatically try to distribute themselves along the front line in the ratios defined in the template (if there aren't enough units to fill it perfectly, you could probably have a toggle on the front to tell it to either try to cover the entire front as best as possible, or match the template as best as possible). It would make mobilization so much less of a pain if you could have them arrange themselves evenly along the front, rather than just walking to the closest rally point to their home province.

I'd also hope that the province shapes are a little less stupid in Victoria 3. There are some extremely annoying spots to try to cover just because of the nonsensical borders between zones.

Having to manually shuffle everyone around to get the right ratios and manually assign leaders to the right task makes HoI3 seem not bad.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Decrepus posted:

Having to manually shuffle everyone around to get the right ratios and manually assign leaders to the right task makes HoI3 seem not bad.

Well you don't need to manually assign leaders ("to the right task", maybe, but 90% of the time your units aren't really that specialized so any generic general the game wants to dump on them is usually fine and if you have a really trash general you can just fire them to stop the game auto-assigning them), but yeah building/organizing units in Victoria 2 is a pain. When playing as a nation as big as Russia or China I never get anywhere close to my actual unit cap because gently caress trying to queue up and arrange 1000+ individual brigades of infantry or guards or artillery or whatever.

Baronjutter posted:

I'd be happy with being able to build reserve units as essentially empty units, just piles of supplies and logistics with a minimal upkeep cost. When you mobilize these units gain strength.

Yeah this would be cool too. The ideal use of mobilization is to keep a standing army of support units like artillery, then fill out the armies with conscripts to give them a proper front line, but actually doing that is practice is such a pain that I often just don't bother and build a bunch of full-size standing armies.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Well you don't need to manually assign leaders ("to the right task", maybe, but 90% of the time your units aren't really that specialized so any generic general the game wants to dump on them is usually fine and if you have a really trash general you can just fire them to stop the game auto-assigning them), but yeah building/organizing units in Victoria 2 is a pain. When playing as a nation as big as Russia or China I never get anywhere close to my actual unit cap because gently caress trying to queue up and arrange 1000+ individual brigades of infantry or guards or artillery or whatever.

Yeah this would be cool too. The ideal use of mobilization is to keep a standing army of support units like artillery, then fill out the armies with conscripts to give them a proper front line, but actually doing that is practice is such a pain that I often just don't bother and build a bunch of full-size standing armies.

Yeah it was a pain. I'd make 50/50 arty/inf units then bump that up to more optimal/correct proportions once mobilized.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

The key is to build nothing but arty/recon and use the mobilized troops as your only/main source of infantry. They take the highest casualties anyways, don't want your main pops getting mowed down on the front lines.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

The key is to build nothing but arty/recon and use the mobilized troops as your only/main source of infantry. They take the highest casualties anyways, don't want your main pops getting mowed down on the front lines.

I'd rather have my sokotan soldier pops taking the casualties than my basque craftsmen or whatever

e: just talkin about the video game here

feller fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 4, 2017

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

For an AAR I've been doing, I modded in a civil war to my giant Vic2 blob (followed shortly by a great war with three alliance blocks each fighting both other blocks). I hadn't realized that when a country rebels (like with the ACW), units recruited from their territory would switch sides after a day. So my neatly-organized stacks became completely disorganized, while I was needing to do massive recruitment just to hold things together. I finally put together an excel spreadsheet to calculate what I needed to build and where it needed to go. If the dictates of writing a story around it hadn't made me play for only short stretches at a time (just a month or two), keeping the spreadsheet up to date would have done the same.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
The best thing about Vicky2 is that which soldiers rebelled would have actually been based on their hometown or which issues they cared about.

For such a terrible game, it really is the best.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Senor Dog posted:

I'd rather have my sokotan soldier pops taking the casualties than my basque craftsmen or whatever

ThatBasqueGuy probably approves

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Crank up the combat losses to deaths ratio in defines.txt and have yourself a grand old World War I :getin:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I was surprised how much I liked Vicky 2 when I got properly into it but there's so many little things that drove me barmy and UI/automation features that were missing that seem baffling coming from "modern" paradox games.

Also it tends to crash whenever something goes wrong with it rather than give you an error and keep going like EUIV/HOI, which made playing the mod a nightmare (I had to abandon it :smith:)

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Senor Dog posted:

e: just talkin about the video game here

I mean you can (and I usually do) build a decent amount of unaccepted infantry for when I don't wanna be mobilizing. But here your mobilized pops usually don't end up taking too many losses due to the fact you'll always have a crazy arty advantage that'll make most fights a complete blowout.

Decision/click to build +1 fort/naval base/railroad nationwide when?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I still love Vicky 2 even though it's a janky mess compared to more modern Paradox games. The POP system makes it feel like your decisions are molding your country and affecting the lives of millions moreso than any other Paradox game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

I still love Vicky 2 even though it's a janky mess compared to more modern Paradox games. The POP system makes it feel like your decisions are molding your country and affecting the lives of millions moreso than any other Paradox game.

Yeah, my main hope for a sequel is that they keep POPS measured in "real" numbers rather than abstracting it away. It's one of the main things I like about Victoria compared to other strategy games.