Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

suicidesteve posted:

Oh my god. I forgot about this. I take it back, change is great.

I'll still never understand how anyone found this or the CMC of flip cards (which I still dislike) confusing though.

I wouldn't call it confusing so much as unintuitive. It's the kind of rule you'd never guess until someone explained it to you, and it's easy to see why they'd want to pare down on rules like that as a matter of course.

I am gonna miss it, though. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
So next set will have land cycling and they'll reprint eternal dragon and that's why the duals are typed and the durdly uw control deck in ffl was so powerful they had to print the sephopopophod.

Calling it now.

e: also because sphinx's rev is a perfect reprint

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 4, 2017

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

AbbadonOfHell posted:

But it didn't? Card says you can cast a card cmc 3 or less. One of the little card pics is less than 3 and the card says you can cast one or both halves from your hand. Seems pretty simple.

None of what you just said is straightforward or intuitive.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

DangerDongs posted:

Removing damage on the stack was barbaric, especially to blue in limited.

I enjoyed damage on the stack for the depth it brought, but if you've ever played in limited against someone when they didn't know about it and you did, it felt like cheating.

The biggest loss is old Ravnica and Time Spiral drafts not being as awesome as they once were.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Imagine walking ballista if damage still used the stack.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
They should have just gone all the way and just made the CMC outside of the stack the greater of the two split halves because split cards interact horribly with bob and wotc loves them some GBx decks

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

Cactrot posted:

None of what you just said is straightforward or intuitive.

Lol have you even read the cards we're talking about here? Look at the bottom of the fuse card it explains like half of it right there. Sorry this is too difficult for you to grasp.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Pontius Pilate posted:

Imagine walking ballista if damage still used the stack.

*pours out 40 for Triskelion*

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

AbbadonOfHell posted:

Lol have you even read the cards we're talking about here? Look at the bottom of the fuse card it explains like half of it right there. Sorry this is too difficult for you to grasp.

Go to the prerelease or FNM and ask ten strangers how it worked, see how many get it right

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

AbbadonOfHell posted:

It's a stupid, counter intuitive interaction and it being removed from the game is a good thing.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

AbbadonOfHell posted:

I know how the rules worked, they just worked in a non-intuitive way.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mcmagic posted:

I didn't see this posted:

They are fixing Split cards so pretty much Beck//Call and Breaking//Entering decks no longer exist.

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/638ws6/torrential_gearhulk_and_aftermath_ruling_from/dfsccuj/

This is a good change. Floating Wear//Tear and Vendillion Clique on top with Counterbalance/Top in play and countering 1/2/3 was real nonsense. Of course Miracles doesn't mind being able to reveal Wear//Tear to counter 3 drops either.

Attorney at Funk posted:

The real tragedy here is floating a Wear//Tear with Counter-Top is no longer the most fun thing to do in Legacy.

Someone ran a Brainstorm into my Counterbalance and I revealed Wear//Tear, then they played a two drop and I revealed Wear//Tear. It was great.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

It's like how transformed dudes used to have a CMC of 0, they found a piece of rules that they didn't like and took the opportunity to get rid of it.

E: It's also actually relevant to upcoming standard, since the Expertises will be in Standard with Aftermath.

Aftermath can't be cast from the hand by its own rules. I don't think it would be relevant.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Hellsau posted:

Someone ran a Brainstorm into my Counterbalance and I revealed Wear//Tear, then they played a two drop and I revealed Wear//Tear. It was great.

Nothing gold can stay...

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I absolutely agree it was a judge deck. This rule change is a good idea and horrifically boring. It wasn't even particularly busted, but oh well.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

suicidesteve posted:

I'll still never understand how anyone found this or the CMC of flip cards (which I still dislike) confusing though.

What happens if you try to cast a breaking and entering with an Expertise? What is the CMC when it's on the stack? Can you counter it with a spell snare?

I'm pretty sure most players find the answers to these questions unintuitive when they first hear them.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Marketing New Brain posted:

I enjoyed damage on the stack for the depth it brought, but if you've ever played in limited against someone when they didn't know about it and you did, it felt like cheating.
What depth did it bring though? You always sacced/bounced the creature after stacking damage. There was always a right way and a wrong way. Now you actually have ot make choices and think what your opponent might be up to.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
The MTG version of being woke is performatively defending a mythical idiot who is simultaneously very excited to learn the rules of the game but ready to instantly quit when they discover the first rule that violates their robotically rigid aesthetical opinions about the rules.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Rinkles posted:

What happens if you try to cast a breaking and entering with an Expertise? What is the CMC when it's on the stack? Can you counter it with a spell snare?

I'm pretty sure most players find the answers to these questions unintuitive when they first hear them.

The answer to 2/3 of your questions doesn't change with this new rule, so

It becomes much easier to understand if you think of a split card as 2 separate cards.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Where all the spoilers at? Usually we get a load of previews from the community at this point.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Where all the spoilers at? Usually we get a load of previews from the community at this point.

We got a fair amount last week, which probably eats into it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

The answer to 2/3 of your questions doesn't change with this new rule, so

That's insincere since the reason the spell snare question is confusing is because of the way "free" fusion spells worked. Now the question simply doesn't come up.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I can't wait to Transgress my opponent's two-mana spell because it's stapled to a new-flashback thing and actually has a CMC of 4.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Rinkles posted:

Community previews start tomorrow (as early as tonight at Midnight).

CFB will have one, along with some people listed in this article http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/daily-magic-update/update-2017-04-03

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
I was trying to figure out why anyone cared about this beck call deck then I found the saffron olive article, when's that guy going to talk about how great Hitler is??

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

black potus posted:

I was trying to figure out why anyone cared about this beck call deck then I found the saffron olive article, when's that guy going to talk about how great Hitler is??

A guy who falls for spoilers like he does could probably be convinced Mein Kampf was correct pretty easily.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Don't worry guys your garbage combo may not work but at least you can't get Inquisitioned now, seems like a wash.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Guys, I know SO's voice is miserably off-putting, but let's not jump the gun here.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

TheMaestroso posted:

Guys, I know SO's voice is miserably off-putting, but let's not jump the gun here.

He has the voice you imagine John Wayne Gacy speaking to his victims in

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Attorney at Funk posted:

He has the voice you imagine John Wayne Gacy speaking to his victims in

Hey it's John, probably better known as the last thing you're going to see before you die.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheMaestroso posted:

Who's voice is worse? His or the OpenBoosters guy?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

black potus posted:

Caleb was playing a few versions a while back and it's kinda funny.

It's another whatever deck that's neat to see in action once or twice that spiked hundreds of dollars and is gonna burn a bunch of ppl who bought into some t4 deck for most of the price of a real one, rip them

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Marketing New Brain posted:

The biggest loss is old Ravnica and Time Spiral drafts not being as awesome as they once were.

There is no depth in damage on the stack.

There is mechanical complexity but there was never a decision tree. Now there is, and that decision tree is depth.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

black potus posted:

Don't worry guys your garbage combo may not work but at least you can't get Inquisitioned now, seems like a wash.

I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking losing one lovely brew is not a particularly high cost to pay to 1) streamline the game 2) weaken bloodbraid elf and counterbalance.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I think a distinction ought to be drawn between being unintuitive, which includes plenty of things that are otherwise fine for magic (going all the way back to the "I put an unholy strength and a holy strength on my air elemental at the same time!!" example from the Alpha rulebook), and being actually difficult for a person of reasonable cognitive and language-using capabilities to understand once the loophole or edge case is described to them, which covers... very few things in Magic, actually?

Of course, opinions may differ with respect to whether the janky Beck//Call combos were actually good for Magic. I happen to think they were fine. They enabled some cool janky decks that weren't actually a threat to the metagame.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The only tricky bit was being able to check one half of the card to see if you were allowed to cast it for free, and then actually casting the other half/both. Pretty much everything else around split cards was completely logical and straightforward if you just thought about them as two separate cards stuck together, which is a really easy mental model to grasp.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

little munchkin posted:

"auras and 4 mana do-nothing enchantments" sounds like the worst draft archetype ever

this could not be more wrong and i look forward to drafting the gently caress out of cartouche-matters decks.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mcmagic posted:

Who's voice is worse? His or the OpenBoosters guy?

Open boosters guy is cool because he can't read the cards without loving them up

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

JerryLee posted:

I think a distinction ought to be drawn between being unintuitive, which includes plenty of things that are otherwise fine for magic (going all the way back to the "I put an unholy strength and a holy strength on my air elemental at the same time!!" example from the Alpha rulebook), and being actually difficult for a person of reasonable cognitive and language-using capabilities to understand once the loophole or edge case is described to them, which covers... very few things in Magic, actually?

Of course, opinions may differ with respect to whether the janky Beck//Call combos were actually good for Magic. I happen to think they were fine. They enabled some cool janky decks that weren't actually a threat to the metagame.

On the other hand with 17,000+ cards there are so many goddamn "loopholes" and "edge cases" that if you can cut down on them without really impacting the game (e.g. only hurting some janky decks that didn't have much impact on the metagame), you should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JerryLee posted:

You're talking about diagetic and exegetic mechanical effects vs. flavor. And personally I'm all in for mechanical streamlining all day since too many games have dumb, unnecessary fiddly bits. MTG is a 20yo game and there's been lots of rules technology that's been developed since then.

• Locked thread