Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I did not intend to do that.

Edit: So does the placement of wire in a trench change who it effects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Trin Tragula posted:

My instinct is that it *should* function like a barricade (which would then allow in 1915 for the construction of historically accurate German-style weaponised hahas), and then I go and see that I didn't write that into the erections post, so now I feel bad.

If we can get Bloody Stupid Johnson on our side, we can start to make weaponized ho-hos.

And I'll have so see if we can turn that trench into a trout pond...

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

On the question of gaps between entanglements; if a gap is less wide than one chit's width then it cannot be slipped through, but if you want impassable gaps, I'm going to make the gap no more than 20-odd pixels so it's clearly obvious whether a gap can be passed through or not by eyeballing it.

Hunt11 posted:

I did not intend to do that.

Edit: So does the placement of wire in a trench change who it effects?

I think I'm going to have to rule the following; when wire is in a trench, the part of it that's in a trench functions as a barricade; but in this particular instance, I'll let you rotate those two bits of wire 1" or so to the west, around the edge of Saucisson, so you can retain the original effect without fouling the trench.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Trin Tragula posted:

I think I'm going to have to rule the following; when wire is in a trench, the part of it that's in a trench functions as a barricade; but in this particular instance, I'll let you rotate those two bits of wire 1" or so to the west, around the edge of Saucisson, so you can retain the original effect without fouling the trench.

Cool. Thanks.

Bacarruda posted:

If we can get Bloody Stupid Johnson on our side, we can start to make weaponized ho-hos.

Where'd ya disappear to, Bac? Not having a division doesn't mean not having anything to contribute to discussions of our plans. :)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Hes playing a modern mercenary thread without us :(

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

That will happen naturally once the rain begins.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

The 20th needed a little overhaul, but fortunately nothing major.

The 21st, as moot as the point is, actually had a banner a long time ago, maybe I forgot to post it?

I don't think I've missed anyone? I should still have some time to kill making these, so don't be afraid to request.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I mean, I don't want to sound pushy or ungrateful or whatever to the GM giving us such a fun time, but this will be the third or fourth time I've asked (not even counting roll20), so

:siren: :siren: TRIN TRAGULA :siren: :siren:

PLEASE CLARIFY WHAT IS GOING IN WITH REGARD TO MY DIVISION COMMAND CHIT, OR AT LEAST POST A WINKY FACE OR SOMETHING TO MAKE IT CLEAR THAT YOUR PROLONGED SILENCE ON THE MATTER IS DELIBERATE

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Tehan posted:

I mean, I don't want to sound pushy or ungrateful or whatever to the GM giving us such a fun time, but this will be the third or fourth time I've asked (not even counting roll20), so

:siren: :siren: TRIN TRAGULA :siren: :siren:

PLEASE CLARIFY WHAT IS GOING IN WITH REGARD TO MY DIVISION COMMAND CHIT, OR AT LEAST POST A WINKY FACE OR SOMETHING TO MAKE IT CLEAR THAT YOUR PROLONGED SILENCE ON THE MATTER IS DELIBERATE

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

oh, right

He got where he was going and is currently occupying his own bloblet of a trench just behind the 24th, which I appear to have filed in the wrong bucket. Should be corrected for the next update. You would have been informed had anything gone wrong.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Merci.

Major General Tehan III, 8th Division (also temporarily 7th Division)

Orders:

7th Division:

20th: You are withdrawing from the front lines. Ideally, it would be nice if you could spend the next 24 hours without firing a shot so you can lose a fatigue token, but that may not be possible. Withdraw and move to northwestern Bois de Blob and take up firing positions covering the southern edge of Foret de Effyaders; if those positions do come in range of the enemy, it means things are dire enough that you will not be able to have your desired naptimes.

20th: You are to march on La Dand! As you will be effectively cut off from further orders once you get going, I'll give you great leeway in the exact path you take, but our peanut gallery staff officers highly recommend you hug the southern border of the AO until Taillis Sud, then make a break for La Dand. I also would recommend great thought be given to conditional orders that will have you change route should you spot any enemies infantry brigades on the march in your planned route, but if fortune gives you the opportunity to fall upon limbered artillery, by God take it.

Artillery: Counterfire on enemy artillery we've spotted before they have a chance to move; support fire on any combat you can in the cauldron; direct fire on any enemies trying to leave the cauldron. In that order. Basically, as per existing orders.

8th Division:

23rd and 24th: Coordinate to close the gap that casualties have opened up in north-eastern Foret de Effyaders.

25th: Shuffle your men around so that around half of your men are covering the southern fords, in preparation for the 20th pulling back. It is your choice whether to use existing trenches or begin digging new ones; the J trench has it's downsides, but perfect is the enemy of good. Also, if possible, try to have your machine gun with 180 degree coverage from northeastern Bois de Blob.

Artillery: As per previous discussions, pull back to the trenches before continuing to make Foret de Effyaders a living hell for any Germans still alive in there.

Priority of Orders:
Artillery
24th
23rd
25th

Tehan fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Apr 5, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

my dad posted:

It's not about crossings. It's about barbed wire at a defensive line in the rear. Check the roll20 maps once you've got the chance.

I didn't mean a river crossing.

If the enemy is forced to adopt a useless battle formation for the purposes of not touching barbed wire, the wire has still accomplished its goal. It makes the enemy assault ineffective.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
A question for the thread: would it not be possible to blow up the southernmost ford, since it's an artificial bridge, thus greatly simplifying our southern defence? Or has it been decided that our engineer time is needed elsewhere?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I am really not a fan of leaving such a defensive position to the enemy. Yes, those dudes are tired, and will get even more tired in 24 hours if they're shot at, but we've got no better way of anchoring our south flank and keeping the way open to advance towards La Dand if the opportunity arises.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Tehan posted:

A question for the thread: would it not be possible to blow up the southernmost ford, since it's an artificial bridge, thus greatly simplifying our southern defence? Or has it been decided that our engineer time is needed elsewhere?

The southernmost ford is not a bridge. The southernmost ford is a ford. There is a bridge just to the south of it.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

The southernmost ford is not a bridge. The southernmost ford is a ford. There is a bridge just to the south of it.

My terminology is lacking :v: But that answers the question I had, thanks.

I agree with Mon Pere about the value of that position, but the fatigue levels are really troublesome. I'm working on alternative plans in roll20 now.

E: Unless Loel weighs in, I'm going to try to get in touch with ARF in a few hours, when he'll probably be awake.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 3, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I agree, that southern bridge is ours now. They haven't shelled your guys yet so they may not realize anyone is there! They will soon, though.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
They did shell them in the night.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Assuming that the enemy might shell them again in the morning, just to ensure they get an exhaustion chit, that unit is on a 24 hour timer before it becomes utterly useless.

So, do we try to expend it before then? Bac can't see anyone from where he is, and he passed through the forest without being killed. We've got a clear shot towards La Dand, and they can slip out of enemy artillery range in 6 or so turns, making it too late for the enemy to catch them with a barrage. If they don't get spotted, we can hole up in South La Dand, and hopefully start a victory timer of some sort.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I do like the elan, and the amount of panic and despondency it would create in the enemy.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

And if they get through to La Dand, they either are expended or they'll be inexplicably decently placed to get some rest, out of the way like that.

Or they blunder into boche and are destroyed, while if they were rendered useless they'd be available to have replenish and come back later.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
I think we're already getting all we're going to from this backline stuff. I'm personally tempted by bringing them back across to our side of the river, digging a new trench under the safety of covering artillery fire and holding there. If we take out their howitzers, it'll be difficult to shift and the enemy may not come that way.

However I'm not opposed to charging La Dand as such. I just think that those guys might be more useful dug in where our artillery can help protect them, even if they get fatigued out. I was more on board with charging to La Dand earlier, because now we've probably made the Germans paranoid enough that they are walking everywhere in Battle Order. Meeting a Bosche brigade in battle order somewhere bodes poorly, but I think with artillery nearby and trenches dug we can hold the southern river crossings.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Unless a dramatic new plan comes about I have a cavalry engineer left to help with errections.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Hunt11 posted:

Unless a dramatic new plan comes about I have a cavalry engineer left to help with errections.

If the cauldron attempts a southern breakout, is there additional blocks you can place there to slow them down?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It will take time, but we can set up barricades (trench+wire combo) so that there is no quick and easy way to get out of Effyaders de Foret.. However it will take until minimum the middle of next set of turns before it would start to come together.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Loel posted:

If the cauldron attempts a southern breakout, is there additional blocks you can place there to slow them down?

My guns should be on whackamole on anything that pops out of the forest.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

lenoon posted:

Think how much fun it would be if the moles are stuck in wire :D

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

lenoon posted:

I'm sorry for nitpicking about your orders all the time, but there's one quality of life modification you could make.

You said to support brigades to the North instead of the one to the East. You could support one of the North ones (say, 24th) and the East one simultaneously, and just prioritize the one in the North. Does that sound OK to you?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

my dad posted:

I'm sorry for nitpicking about your orders all the time, but there's one quality of life modification you could make.

You said to support brigades to the North instead of the one to the East. You could support one of the North ones (say, 24th) and the East one simultaneously, and just prioritize the one in the North. Does that sound OK to you?

Given priority to the northern brigades and artillery but support to north and east.

Crazy work hours should be over as of tomorrow, so I'll be back on the roll20 soon.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

There you go! You saw that on Turn 35. Enjoy!

Just a reminder to everybody, there are German entrenchments in the Tallis douche and they are not reflected in the roll20 map.

sullat posted:

I agree, that southern bridge is ours now. They haven't shelled your guys yet so they may not realize anyone is there! They will soon, though.

They did shell us in the South, though whether that was just a guess is unknown.

Also, question for Trin: Are those infantry company reinforcements available?

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 4, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Plane location, 4 turns from now.

Loel fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 5, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Also, question for Trin: Are those infantry company reinforcements available?

20th got some reinforcements. If you want more, you need to have a brigade take casualties but not lose its commander or rout.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Trin Tragula posted:

20th got some reinforcements. If you want more, you need to have a brigade take casualties but not lose its commander or rout.

Can we spawn them on a certain elite commando who has advanced deep into enemy territory, and freed allied prisoners in a daring night time raid? :D

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Infantry Engineer 2: Continue doing what you are doing.

Infantry Engineer 3: Head up north and set up wire next to the wire already in place before working on putting wire through the trenches being created by Mounted Engineer 2.

Mounted Engineer 1: Set up a trench as indicated on the map. Once that is done create wire that links up the trench set up and Foret De Effyaders.

Infantry Engineer 4: Set up two pieces of wire just in front of the gun pits in such a manner that it links up with the wire already in place in the Vallee.

Mounted Engineer 2: Move up to the road just below Effyaders de Foret and place barbed wire before digging up a trench around said wire as indicated on the map.

Emergency orders: If spotted pull back and start building trenches in the center of the farms running down south.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 4, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Strongly considering sending out the La Dand commando brigade, unless anyone has major reservations about the idea.

Personally, I think this is the best time for it, we've already scouted the path, the boche are committed in the north, etc.

Loel fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 5, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Loel posted:

Strongly considering sending out the La Dand commando brigade, unless anyone has major reservations about the idea.

Personally, I think this is the best time for it, we've already scouted the path, the boche are committed in the north, etc.

The scout heard artillery moving up in the darkness, I think. Might surprise them.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
:siren:

Alright lads, nevermind the corpses. Reshuffle a bit so we can get more eyes on the front.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

my dad posted:

Assuming that the enemy might shell them again in the morning, just to ensure they get an exhaustion chit, that unit is on a 24 hour timer before it becomes utterly useless.

So, do we try to expend it before then? Bac can't see anyone from where he is, and he passed through the forest without being killed. We've got a clear shot towards La Dand, and they can slip out of enemy artillery range in 6 or so turns, making it too late for the enemy to catch them with a barrage. If they don't get spotted, we can hole up in South La Dand, and hopefully start a victory timer of some sort.

My guys already gained their second fatigue chit at the end of last round, so they can't get any worse than they are now. In terms of effectiveness they're probably somewhere between a green and regular unit rather than their normal veteran status. They should be good enough to hold a trench line but I wouldn't want to be caught outside of one.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

my dad posted:

Where'd ya disappear to, Bac? Not having a division doesn't mean not having anything to contribute to discussions of our plans. :)

I've been reading along. Haven't had much to say.

A few thoughts:

-Those 10cm guns are ripe for counterbattery fire. We should spend some time hammering them before they can get dug in.
-We have a gap in our northern flank, considering that the Germans have been shelling my dad's brigade, that suggest they are going to try a northern breakout. We should be prepared to hit any such assault with artillery. We may also want to move those northern guns.
-I'm thinking of heading to Le Dand to cut some more wires. Trying to figure out how to do it without being spotted.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Loel posted:

Major General Tehan III, 8th Division, Acting Commander of 7th Division

20th: You are to march on La Dand! As you will be effectively cut off from further orders once you get going, I'll give you great leeway in the exact path you take, but our peanut gallery staff officers highly recommend you hug the southern border of the AO until Taillis Sud, then make a break for La Dand. I also would recommend great thought be given to conditional orders that will have you change route should you spot any enemies infantry brigades on the march in your planned route, but if fortune gives you the opportunity to fall upon limbered artillery, by God take it.

May you cause much fuckery and headgames doubt and despondency in the enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Bacarruda posted:

I've been reading along. Haven't had much to say.

A few thoughts:

-Those 10cm guns are ripe for counterbattery fire. We should spend some time hammering them before they can get dug in.
-We have a gap in our northern flank, considering that the Germans have been shelling my dad's brigade, that suggest they are going to try a northern breakout. We should be prepared to hit any such assault with artillery. We may also want to move those northern guns.
-I'm thinking of heading to Le Dand to cut some more wires. Trying to figure out how to do it without being spotted.

Our map in chat has you going along the north bridge, but that's not set in stone :D

As of right now, we dont think they will try to sneak along the north map edge, cuz we'll see them. Itll draw them into our guns in the west. So Im betting west or south for their breakout attempt.

• Locked thread