Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Actually good thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
So this is what it feels like to be in the Trump White House...

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Flesh Croissant posted:

"Poois Shamilton" and "Princess Pascal"
Is Vercrappen probatable but Verstrappon not? I feel like one of those caused an issue in the past but the other didn't. I think they're both great and appropriate though.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

My dude, there are at least two :evilbuddy:

Christ, it's like seeing your teachers outside of high school.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Can we not go too hard on the puns though? Like, I can understand that Lewis Hamilton means f1 driver poois shamilton, but if he were called loses whinge-a-ton it gets a bit hard to follow.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ilmucche posted:

loses whinge-a-ton

Thats pretty good! Youre getting it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Here's a video from a series where Honda and French people can win
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44EJE8mJSxI

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Oh gently caress a mod that reads this poo poo

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

Oh gently caress a mod that reads this poo poo

There's at least two of us :unsmigghh:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

iospace posted:

I'm sorry

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iospace posted:

Mods would have to read it when someone filed a report anyway, so there ya go.

Look on the bright side though, I can do thread title changes when you guys want it.

So you are going to be Max Mosley, Bernie, Jean Todt or mustache Liberty man?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

iospace posted:

Hopefully they pay you enough to endure this poo poo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Wirth1000 posted:

Wehrlein is out for China and possibly Bahrain as well.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128780

Pascal isn't bad but I love me some Our Gio.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It was pretty funny seeing pascal die in person alonso style. He just gave up driving at the end and drove into a stationary object that sent him out of control.

My first thought was "well thats what you get for racing a three wheeled car. Have these kids not seen 'TopGear'"?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Alain Post posted:

Pascal isn't bad but I love me some Our Gio.

This type of skip doesn't bode well for his long term career, though. He'll have to come back and perform noticeably better than Giovinazzi, or he'll turn himself into an also ran and never get another ride. Given Giovinazzi's performance after so few hours in the car, he really has a chance to make a mark in China and Bahrain.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

EoRaptor posted:

This type of skip doesn't bode well for his long term career, though. He'll have to come back and perform noticeably better than Giovinazzi, or he'll turn himself into an also ran and never get another ride. Given Giovinazzi's performance after so few hours in the car, he really has a chance to make a mark in China and Bahrain.

This was the man that made Rio Haryanto look impressive. His career is already over.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Yeah, an overhyped driver who produces unremarkable results and fails to distinguish himself against a teammate he should be handily beating is going nowhere within the Mercedes system.

Wait a second...

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

His name is Rio and he drives realy bad

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

EoRaptor posted:

Especially when he's driving for a team who are notorious for dropping drivers like hot turds even when they have contracts in place.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

iospace posted:

Mods would have to read it when someone filed a report anyway, so there ya go.

Look on the bright side though, I can do thread title changes when you guys want it.

F1 2017: if you know what I mean fellas

Do it. Do it now!

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

GramCracker posted:

Talk about catching a break, jesus. Good on him though I genuinely liked seeing him race in Aus.

My worry is that he's not going to do as well in China and Bahrain, here's hoping that's not the case. Certainly can't hurt his chances having two more races to fill in for.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

lol at Pascal wehrlein killing his brain at a loving ROC event. It must be nice to be so bad you can flip a car in a supercross stadium.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

dentist toy box posted:

lol at Pascal wehrlein killing his brain at a loving ROC event. It must be nice to be so bad you can flip a car in a supercross stadium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1_k0Lmfjz0

Let us all appreciate his legendary terribleness. All completed in front of rows and rows of empty seats.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Christ I didn't know there was a passenger as well. Idiot.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

learnincurve posted:

Christ I didn't know there was a passenger as well. Idiot.

Almost as good as Antonio Pizzonia's murder/suicide attempt with a journalist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XxU9IVwg-U

Ars has a semi-interesting article up today. Clearly not written by an F1 wonk, but still quite interesting to see some of the other surprisingly specific restrictions the FIA enforce, like on compute power: https://arstechnica.co.uk/cars/2017/04/formula-1-technology/

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
That is a cool article. It reads like it's written by an IT guy, it's not as broad as the title suggests. It's interesting though and I had no idea they limited CFD computing power.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Babby Verstappen only just learned the concept of heel-and-toe less than two weeks ago. https://www.motorsport.com/v8supercars/news/supercars-star-introduces-verstappen-to-classic-driving-technique-889394/

Motorsport.com posted:

As part of a sponsor promo, the F1 star was given a tour of the RBHRT garage and shown around van Gisbergen’s Commodore during the Australian Grand Prix weekend.

However, according to van Gisbergen’s latest column on the Red Bull website, the three pedal set-up in the Supercar left the young Dutchman stumped.

Van Gisbergen even had to explain the concept of heel-and-toe – the art of matching revs and road speed on downshifts with the throttle – something not necessarily needed in modern paddleshift open-wheelers.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

td4guy posted:

Babby Verstappen only just learned the concept of heel-and-toe less than two weeks ago.

That makes me a little bit sad. What feeder series' do you have to come through to get to F1 that means you skip all forms of car with a clutch pedal?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Daddy's money/surname

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

Ars has a semi-interesting article up today. Clearly not written by an F1 wonk, but still quite interesting to see some of the other surprisingly specific restrictions the FIA enforce, like on compute power: https://arstechnica.co.uk/cars/2017/04/formula-1-technology/

This whole thing owns owns owns but:

quote:

Another surprising aspect of F1 logistics is that there's a large amount of camaraderie between the teams. While car designs and race tactics are top secret, "if I need something flown over, I'll ask another team to see if they already have someone on that flight," Simmonds says.

This is adorable, I never would've expected this.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

wicka posted:

This whole thing owns owns owns but:

This is adorable, I never would've expected this.

We rarely ever get to see it but apparently a lot of the other teams' guys rallied around the Williams team after their garage set fire in Barcelona a few years back helping them sort out the wreckage and whatnot. I guess that travelling circus/insular bubble lifestyle means that whilst they are all technically against each other they can't help but work together sometimes too.

Also, I can't wait to see this year's cars going around Monaco and how they stack up to 2004. There's not a great deal of onboard footage (which looks maddeningly quick) but even the longer FOV shots make them look insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB3-e5JBgRM

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I'm not one of those douchecanoes who complains about the sound of this year's F1 cars but there's just something distinctive about the mad mid 00 V10s. Almost as good as the old Ferrari V12s.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I wasn't one to admit it in the past but I think it's true that more RPMs = better than. Some of the old GP bikes from the 70s could rev to near 20k and they sound pretty amazing.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I wasn't one to admit it in the past but I think it's true that more RPMs = better than. Some of the old GP bikes from the 70s could rev to near 20k and they sound pretty amazing.

The V10s were unrestricted for a period and would reach 20k RPM IIRC. I don't think there's any reason that the current F1 engines couldn't do the same in theory, but not with the fuel efficiency and engine allocation/seal restrictions.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The fuel flow restriction is the problem.
Period.

Less fuel = less explosions = less noise. Im sure these new engines could reach astonomical RPM (they do after all, have less rotating mass) but every shift in the entire f1 calander now is effectively a hypermiling short-shift.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Flesh Croissant posted:

Less fuel = less explosions = less noise. Im sure these new engines could reach astonomical RPM (they do after all, have less rotating mass) but every shift in the entire f1 calander now is effectively a hypermiling short-shift.

In their current state I really doubt they could reliably spin much faster, I'm sure they're engineered to the current limit and no more.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The cars are going north of 1,000 bhp now, the fuel flow limit is such a non issue I have no idea why people act like it's crippling the sport.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Old kart engines used to go up to 20k and there's a very good reason they don't anymore.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

The cars are going north of 1,000 bhp now, the fuel flow limit is such a non issue I have no idea why people act like it's crippling the sport.

B-B-B-B-BUT ENGINE SOUND!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
1000 BHP was impressive..... in the late 90s.

Also, the engine sound could use improving. I think a lot of it would be improved trackside microphones but they dont have the pop-bang-scream of even the 80s turbo 6's. Racecars bark fire, drat it.

• Locked thread