Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Here's some links to the Xbox stuff I recommend:

- Any cheap 2TB or smaller HDD. I use a WD. 2TB is your limit because of the 32-bit MBR https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013QFRS2S/
- I use this SATA adapter successfully: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SZDOM6/
- Xecuter2 5035 BIOS, get it from xbins http://www.xbins.org/nfo.php?file=xboxnfo1255.nfo
- XBMC4XBOX is really great as Dashboard: https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/
- And I like the Blades theme more on OG Xbox than I ever did on 360 https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=175

Here's some info about identifying console versions: https://web.archive.org/web/20140928221246/http://home.comcast.net/~admiral_powerslave/versions.html

If you aren't running the latest (5960) official dashboard, stick in any late Xbox LIVE game like Halo 2 since it will contain the update.

Here's some old info (with some sadly dead images) about the TSOP mod: https://web.archive.org/web/20140226223510/http://xbox.x-pec.com/tsop
I used EvoX to flash mine since I upgraded from NDure after Xbox LIVE died and already had a way to run homebrew:

If you prefer to do a softmod then Krayzie NDure is probably what you want. You need a copy of MechAssault (non-Platinum Hits), Splinter Cell, or 007: Agent Under Fire for their exploitable game saves as an entrypoint http://www.xbins.org/nfo.php?file=xboxnfo1313.nfo

If you have modchip BIOS you can use XBPartitioner to create/resize partitions: https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1062&p=9699
The stock partition layout is a small C:\ partition containing the Microsoft Dashboard, a 4.8GiB E:\ partition containing game saves, custom soundtracks (WMAs), and installed DLC like Halo maps and DDR Universe songs, and X:\, Y:\, and Z:\ cache partitions used by games as temporary storage. I left C:\ and the cache partitions alone, edited the offset of the first extended partition on my system to grow E:\ to 120GiB, and made two new large extended partitions to hold everything else. I split the extended partition space into a 810GiB F:\ and a 927GiB G:\, both with 64k blocks. You can make one giant partition, but I’ve read reports of corruption over 1TiB and didn’t want to risk it. Softmod users can’t extend E:\, but I wanted lots of room for custom roundtracks.

The only bad part of the 2TB drive is the like five evenings it took to rip everything with DVD2XBOX :gonk:

Once you have a dashboard like XBMC4XBOX that has an FTP server it's super easy to put custom soundtracks on the console from your computer instead of ripping untagged audio CDs with msdash. Go find a copy of Xbox Soundtrack Editor, use any program to convert your poo poo to WMA, then it will copy them over and edit the DB file for you.

code:
for i in *.flac;
    do ffmpeg -i "$i" -acodec wmav2 -ac 2 -ab 192k "/usr/home/OnlyShallow/convert/${i%.flac}.wma";
done

RodShaft posted:

Can any of these Xbox mods be done without a working disk drive? I have 5 xboxes around and would like to get a few going with some good lan games.

By default it will fail to boot without a DVD drive connected but modchip BIOS can bypass this.

Edit: Also Xbox DVD drives aren't keyed/unique at all so you can stick any drive into any console and it will work fine. Get yourself a nice Samsung if you can :)

Only Shallow fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

If I decided to rip that pile of games onto the HDD, I'd probably get as far as ripping OutRun 2 and then playing that for the rest of time.

edit: maybe Burnout 2 and 3 as well

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You guys own bones thanks all for the help.

Now to track down HUD

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Don't forget the best version of the best racing game ever - Burnout 3.

Code Jockey posted:

Mystic quest :banjo:

No mention of some of the most kick-rear end battle and boss themes in any RPG ever? SHAME

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Ofecks posted:

Don't forget the best version of the best racing game ever - Burnout 3.

Burnout 3 is really weird because it's the first EA version and doesn't actually let you do burnouts :psyduck:

My favorite is Revenge, especially the 360 version

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Only Shallow posted:

Edit: Also Xbox DVD drives aren't keyed/unique at all so you can stick any drive into any console and it will work fine. Get yourself a nice Samsung if you can :)

Thanks for the info. Like any DVD drive I have laying around, or just Xbox ones?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm excited yet nervous to do this. Wish there was mod shops around Tampa!!!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

RodShaft posted:

Thanks for the info. Like any DVD drive I have laying around, or just Xbox ones?

It's got a non-standard power and firmware (discs run backwards) so you need an Xbox one.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RodShaft posted:

Can any of these Xbox mods be done without a working disk drive? I have 5 xboxes around and would like to get a few going with some good lan games.

Is it that they have drives that refuse to read discs, or their drives are totally hosed/missing?

If the former, you do need it to read a disc well enough to get to a "Load Game" screen and load from the memory card, after which you basically never need the drive to work ever again (assuming you don't gently caress up the following softmod install process), so if you have at least one working Xbox DVD drive, you can pass it around it to get all the units softmodded.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Also as far as losing the drive key for a softmodded Xbox, I don't really see how that's an issue? Just keep your original system drive around in storage somewhere. Even if the replacement drive you put in dies, you can put the original back in and clone off the key again, as well as having a working softmod environment to write a new drive.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!

fishmech posted:

Do you mean the one where you swap an Xbox hard drive out of the xbox while it's running and then try to hook it up to a PC quickly while the PC is booted off a CD or USB drive to a special program? That probably still works, though it was always hard to pull off, and you'd need an old PC around that has IDE ports on the board to pull it off.

yeah thats the one i did back at the time. you boot to some specially compiled linux live cd or something. it did take a couple of tries though and also i did get a very slight tingle from some electricity off of something while i did it. thats half the fun though right

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

When I did mine a few years ago I didn't have to connect the hard drive to a PC at all, the IDE connector has two ports and you can disconnect the optical drive to clone. For file transfers you can just FTP to the Xbox.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

univbee posted:

When I did mine a few years ago I didn't have to connect the hard drive to a PC at all, the IDE connector has two ports and you can disconnect the optical drive to clone. For file transfers you can just FTP to the Xbox.

FTP is the way to be

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

They're talking about an older method people did before you could easily and reliably get a hacked save onto your Xbox to use with a vulnerable game.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Don't talk to me or my extremely heavy children again

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I'm the floppies askance on the ground

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I'm the uncomfortable but suitably retro wooden chair.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

HKR posted:

Somebody left your SNES on :ohdear:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!

univbee posted:

someone was mentioning doing it without a working optical so i wondered if the older method that only needed the hdd working would still work as it literally only needed the console and a pc with an IDE port

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Picked up some more Xbox games yesterday including Soul Calibur 2 (which looks and plays well) l, Xmen Legends, Splinter cell 1 and 3, mechassault, top spin / NCAA football 2005 , Spider-Man 2 and one of my favorite games of all time, aggressive inline.

The only things that stinks is deciding what to play. I've never really played splinter cell so I was aiming towards those, but I also barely remember crimson skies or mechassault. What a nice problem to have.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheRedEye, now that you're releasing the original version of Ducktales, what is the new Uncle Buck equivalent?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HKR posted:

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

univbee posted:

TheRedEye, now that you're releasing the original version of Ducktales, what is the new Uncle Buck equivalent?

I'd guess Crystalis or The Guardian Legend.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

univbee posted:

If you don't mind me asking, what is this in reference to?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

His GDC talk on the stigma behind emulation.

I forget the timestamp it comes up at - somewhere around 20 minutes, I think? Just watch the whole thing.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kramdar posted:

If you don't mind me asking, what is this in reference to?

Watch the above-linked. TheRedEye discussed how notoriously unavailable NES-era games were (especially if you didn't have a Nintendo console at all, where your only option is the Mega Man Legacy Collection), and compares the retail availability of the original version of DuckTales NES (not the remastered) to the movie Uncle Buck released the same year, which is currently available for chump change in something like a dozen different SKU's (DVD, Blu-ray, bundled with Fletch, etc.)

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Within a matter of 30 minutes today, I picked up a copy of Conker's for 50 bucks, and as I walked inside a nearby Toys R Us, they just unboxed and put out a couple of NES Classic Editions they received. The lady said they hadn't received any since launch. Naturally I grabbed one. Crazy.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

Shadow Hog posted:

His GDC talk on the stigma behind emulation.

I forget the timestamp it comes up at - somewhere around 20 minutes, I think? Just watch the whole thing.

Gaming Historian also recently did a video on the history of commercial emulators

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGHul1PrXCE

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

univbee posted:

It came a little later but TMNT NES would be a useful equivalent, I think - it was reissued once on Wii VC but has since been delisted and isn't presently available anywhere.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Can anyone explain why there was none of this in the NES port of Renegade?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc5t5tv2uXs

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc5t5tv2uXs

Puritanical Nintendo strikes again!!!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wikipedia posted:

The NES version, developed in-house by Technos and released in 1987

[...]

The Master System version, developed by Natsume and published by Sega in 1993

:ms:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

It's not the answer I wanted, but perhaps the answer I deserve.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

It's not the answer I wanted, but perhaps the answer I deserve.

It reminds me of how Contra in Japan on Famicom had extra animations and a map cutscene in-between (and more to the ending) as that release had twice the ROM size of the Western release.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Somehow I've never heard of the famicom game Sweet Home before but holy poo poo wow

Like I can't believe they pulled some of this off on famicom hardware. Design way ahead of its time.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Zaphod42 posted:

Somehow I've never heard of the famicom game Sweet Home before but holy poo poo wow

Like I can't believe they pulled some of this off on famicom hardware. Design way ahead of its time.

It's unplayable for me because of how much I hate the music:(

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zaphod42 posted:

Is that the one that eventually inspired Resident Evil?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Mak0rz posted:

Yes, RE was intended to be a remake of Sweet Home at the beginning of planning.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Sweet Home is one of Resident Evil's two parent games.

The other is Goof Troop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Tendales posted:

The other is Goof Troop.

People keep saying this and I can't tell if they're serious or not.

• Locked thread