Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

People should just play however the want. Whatever is the most fun for them. Who cares if they are good at it it's a video game.

I do cringe at people who co op their first time through a level but hey it's their game I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Worst boss I have co-oped on is probably the Princes. He teleported! Which one of the 4 people is he going to land on? Roll the dice and find out!

I mean, it doesn't help that a lot of people think "more phantoms = more easier" but some bosses just get way too erratic in their attack patterns and have their health buffed way too high. 2-player co-op seems like the way to go if you want an easier bosses.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

lapp isn't showing up in his final spot what the gently caress

e: ^ ironically princes get owned when someone can poke their butt as their aggroed on someone else. It's the biggest disparity in difficulty solo coop for me

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Some bosses never sit still for more than one hit and have attacks with obnoxious hitboxes, which makes them pretty garbage to co-op. Nameless King is a crappy fight as a phantom. Princes is less troublesome since it lends itself to co-op in the second phase.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Your Computer posted:

Much like the people who insist summoning is "wrong" these people are the worst.

That said, I'm a huge fan of shields but in DS3 I more often than not found bosses easier without a shield. For instance, I was struggling really badly on Sulyvahn for a good while until I decided that the shield was just holding me back. Dropped the shield, went two-hand and immediately beat him! Shields are still wonderful for a lot of the enemy encounters (especially small enemies like thralls and dogs) but a shield is almost never a good idea in a boss fight in DS3.

Black Iron Greatshield makes Pontiff a joke, especially if you throw in magic shield.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
There are incredibly few bosses that aren't made trivial by having phantoms. Almost every boss in DS3 can be staggered. It usually takes a good number of attacks solo, but with phantoms you can stun them much quicker. Friede is a boss that is stupidly hard solo but phantoms make her extremely easy, as she has zero poise. You can stunlock her and keep her from doing much. That's why I think Midir is actually harder with phantoms; he can't be stunned, so having extra people doesn't keep him from moving and attacking freely. Your just adding more HP to his already massive health pool. And unless everyone is skilled at the fight, someone is gonna slip up and get fried.

A lot of jolly cooperators only succeed because they can stun the boss so easily. I think in the next game if From wants coop to have some challenge, bosses should recieve more poise on top of increased health.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Internet Kraken posted:

There are incredibly few bosses that aren't made trivial by having phantoms. Almost every boss in DS3 can be staggered. It usually takes a good number of attacks solo, but with phantoms you can stun them much quicker. Friede is a boss that is stupidly hard solo but phantoms make her extremely easy, as she has zero poise. You can stunlock her and keep her from doing much. That's why I think Midir is actually harder with phantoms; he can't be stunned, so having extra people doesn't keep him from moving and attacking freely. Your just adding more HP to his already massive health pool. And unless everyone is skilled at the fight, someone is gonna slip up and get fried.

A lot of jolly cooperators only succeed because they can stun the boss so easily. I think in the next game if From wants coop to have some challenge, bosses should recieve more poise on top of increased health.

God I remember fighting Friede solo with the Farron Greatsword on my first character I ever made. Lot of tries, but it felt so drat good threading the needle so-to-speak on her attack animations, especially on phase 3.

Your Computer posted:

Worst boss I have co-oped on is probably the Princes. He teleported! Which one of the 4 people is he going to land on? Roll the dice and find out!

I mean, it doesn't help that a lot of people think "more phantoms = more easier" but some bosses just get way too erratic in their attack patterns and have their health buffed way too high. 2-player co-op seems like the way to go if you want an easier bosses.

I agree with this, I kinda hate it when I get summoned into someone's world and they already got 2 other phantoms and it's just a clusterfucking and not really a fight at that point. I would however be intrigued to participate in a 4 man Midir fight.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

4 man midir fight becomes a 3 man real quick.

Oh man gael throws a corpse at you with his sword. I was just thinking how much the Ringed City parallels AotA As frustrating as the fights can be I really love this dlc

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Your Computer posted:

The worst fights are ones where your host doesn't realize their phantoms are disposable chumps so they run in and just get their face kicked in, then stand right in front of the boss to chug an estus and get slammed again before anyone else is even done getting through the fog gate.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Rayjenkins posted:

God I remember fighting Friede solo with the Farron Greatsword on my first character I ever made. Lot of tries, but it felt so drat good threading the needle so-to-speak on her attack animations, especially on phase 3.

I agree with this, I kinda hate it when I get summoned into someone's world and they already got 2 other phantoms and it's just a clusterfucking and not really a fight at that point. I would however be intrigued to participate in a 4 man Midir fight.

After about a minute a 4-man Midir fight is the same as a 1-man fight, except now Midir has like 3 times the health.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I like how after bloodborne, myazaki was all "well that was neat! the next game should feature bosses with longer attack chains and bigger health pools!1!! Ooh and make the player less agile and squishier!"

Was it just me or does everything hit like a loving truck after farron/cathedral? The dlc had most things two-shotting my lv 105 mage, pumping vit and vigor seemed to help very little

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

veni veni veni posted:

People should just play however the want. Whatever is the most fun for them. Who cares if they are good at it it's a video game.

I do cringe at people who co op their first time through a level but hey it's their game I guess.

I think this is the crux of it though. A game like Dark Souls is a fairly serious investment of time and energy, it's not Mario where the mechanics and gameplay are immediately intuitive and accessible. I think it's natural for many people to want to have their effort acknowledged by others, even for something as relatively trivial as being good at a game. Keep in mind a lot of these folks may not actually have greater achievements than this (at least in their mind), due to age, access to opportunity, or dwelling in their mom's basement.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Internet Kraken posted:

I think in the next game if From wants coop to have some challenge, bosses should recieve more poise on top of increased health.

I feel like boosting more stats on bosses for co-op will just result in less co-op. If anything, the game needs to be more accommodating to co-oping away from boss fights.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ugh my fuckin controller is going crazy on me. For seemingly no reason, R1 stops responding when I want to swing my sword. Every other button works fine. I go into the menu, and can use R1 fine there. Then I leave the menu, and my character does an R1 attack. Also when I exit dialogue with NPCs, which got the poor firekeeper killed. And... when I change to my pyromancy on the right hand, it immediately casts the R1 spell. I'm going insane :pwn: The only thing that fixes it is rebooting the game.

Dark souls is one of those games where you're so on edge with every single movement in a fight that when your controller does something you don't want it to, it's like oh god kill me.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SHISHKABOB posted:

Ugh my fuckin controller is going crazy on me. For seemingly no reason, R1 stops responding when I want to swing my sword. Every other button works fine. I go into the menu, and can use R1 fine there. Then I leave the menu, and my character does an R1 attack.

I had this happen too, but it was after doing a lot of alt-tabbing. Closed the game and re-opened it and haven't had the problem since. :iiam:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

I had this happen too, but it was after doing a lot of alt-tabbing. Closed the game and re-opened it and haven't had the problem since. :iiam:

Oh yeah, it definitely seems to happen when I alt tab. That sucks. Glad to know it might not be my controller dying on me.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Holy crap Midir phase 2 is cool

New Concept Hole posted:

I feel like boosting more stats on bosses for co-op will just result in less co-op. If anything, the game needs to be more accommodating to co-oping away from boss fights.

The bosses only need better AI to make coop not amazing against most of them. It isn't that midir can't be stunned, it's that all of his attacks are MASSIVE and will own people he's not looking at (also poking him in the butt sucks poo poo)

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Maneater had some good AI; it knew that it would win if it hid under the bridge the whole fight. I don't think I want bosses to be much smarter. :v:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Assuming you haven't rebound your KB/M controls, the game probably thinks you've got left-click held down. Especially if after alt-tabbing, you left-clicked to get back into the game.

Like with other times computers think things get stuck after you alt-tab (modifier keys are common culprits), pushing the offending button again to make the computer register it happening - and more to the point register it no longer happening when you've released it - might solve things. In this case that would be clicking the mouse. And for shits and giggles mash on your modifier keys too.

Or if you've rebound controls, push whatever KB/M button you've got R1/RB bound to.

Barring all that, rebooting the game will fix it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

New Concept Hole posted:

The game is supposed to be hard. Coop shouldn't be a free ticket past bosses. The whole reason I grew tired of coop was because there was never any challenge. Get summoned by host, host summons two other phantoms, pulverize boss in about 30 seconds. If the bosses actually scaled appropriately then I'd coop a lot more since it wouldn't feel like a cheat code.

EDIT: Am I crazy or does the swamp dragonslayer have way faster attacks than the boss version?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 4, 2017

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Nuebot posted:

I find midir is way, way worse trying to co-op. Not only does he get stupid amounts of HP, but you never know when he's just going to gently caress you over by spinning around and taking off most of your HP with a tail whip so he can tackle the other guy. And since he'll do that to the host too, the host is never ready then dies before anyone else does.

But re: co-op bosses. It's a cool idea but unless they do something like match you with teams of NPCs like the dark souls 2 gank boss, or have you fight against more dudes who summon player invaders at a better rate than the mirror knight did, then you're not going to find much competition there. It's super, super hard for a PVE boss to stand against more than one player without just being a big block of bullshit like midir. I think in two a few of them, like the samurai, got more aggressive on top of the extra HP if you entered with a buddy but that wasn't enough.

Summoning buddies, starting with buddies, requiring coordinated attacks at the same time on different locations, requiring one or more of the players to interact with the environment to drop a gate on the boss or something, stuff like that. Lots of ways you can make a fight not get curbstomped against teams.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

The game is supposed to be hard. Coop shouldn't be a free ticket past bosses. The whole reason I grew tired of coop was because there was never any challenge. Get summoned by host, host summons two other phantoms, pulverize boss in about 30 seconds. If the bosses actually scaled appropriately then I'd coop a lot more since it wouldn't feel like a cheat code.

Spears of the Church should retroactively apply to every boss and summon in invaders to counterbalance the phantoms :getin:

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
Anyone have any hot tips for SL1 Oceiros? I started my first SL1 run yesterday and nothing was all that bad until this, but that no-windup-instant-damage charge thing is wrecking me (can easily dodge all of his other attacks). Do I just need to pray to the RNG gods over and over again, or is there some combination of equipment that will let me survive that? Suppose I could skip him but I really want the prisoner's chain for the DLC bosses.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Gnumonic posted:

Anyone have any hot tips for SL1 Oceiros? I started my first SL1 run yesterday and nothing was all that bad until this, but that no-windup-instant-damage charge thing is wrecking me (can easily dodge all of his other attacks). Do I just need to pray to the RNG gods over and over again, or is there some combination of equipment that will let me survive that? Suppose I could skip him but I really want the prisoner's chain for the DLC bosses.

I hear the Lloyd's Shield Ring is pretty much necessary for SL 1 runs. Might save you from a single hit.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Gnumonic posted:

Block it. Doesn't matter if your guard gets broken if there's no followup.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Nuebot posted:

The worst fights are ones where your host doesn't realize their phantoms are disposable chumps so they run in and just get their face kicked in, then stand right in front of the boss to chug an estus and get slammed again before anyone else is even done getting through the fog gate.

I'll take that over the hosts who just run away and let you do all the hard work, only engaging when the fights over or his helpers die. I usually get pissed and stick to the goldbricker like glue and FORCE him to fight.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Your Computer posted:

If you're on PC that happens a bunch. Try clicking the left mouse button, that tends to get it working again.

Rough Lobster posted:

I'll take that over the hosts who just run away and let you do all the hard work, only engaging when the fights over or his helpers die. I usually get pissed and stick to the goldbricker like glue and FORCE him to fight.

I'm fine with it because I get rewarded as long as I don't die too early. I don't get jack poo poo if the host dies like a clown.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yeah I'm not having nearly as much trouble with this game as I used to but there's still definitely a big problem with enemies throwing out moves with no windup seemingly at random, getting random invincibility frames, and phantom hitboxes. The game's forgiving enough that you can usually heal from these attacks no problem but every now and then these attacks kill you and it is very much not fun.

Still love this game though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Block it. Doesn't matter if your guard gets broken if there's no followup.

Yeah, IIRC any 100% block shield (like you say, broken guard doesn't matter) completely negates his charge.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
It wasn't an SL1 run but I remember Oiceros becoming my bitch when I was trying to get the MGS early as soon as I equipped a decent shield

As someone who never uses shields, I was taken aback by its massive utility, guess I had forgotten about that when I was bitching about shields earlier

Insane enemy combos are my biggest gripe with this game and I guess that's what stable, solid shields are for

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
After over a year playing this game for hundreds of hours, I still found something new!

I knew that patches stole Siggy's armor, but I didn't realize he wore it in the cathedral. I ran into patches upstairs across that drawbridge, and I knew immediately that patches was going to lower it :mad: However, I threw a wrench in his works by having already killed the giant! Ho ho ho, did patches have egg on his face!

Ahhh, good times. I'm going to break his spine with my executioners greatsword next time I see him.

Which does strike damage, believe it or not!

Maleh-Vor posted:

still sad even in super saiyan mode and shooting like 8 of them at a time, and was the best opportunity to hit him, mostly.
The descriptions of his weapons and soul are great as well, since they mention how he knew he wasn't going to make it back, and that explains why he left all those signs guiding you through the DLC. Per his soul: "The red-hooded, wandering slave knight Gael sought the blood of the dark soul as pigment for the Painted World. But Gael knew he was no Champion, that the dark soul would likely ruin him and that he had little hope of a safe return."
His repeater is all dented and brittle due to using it for absolutely ages of just fighting thousands of monsters, his sword is battered and broken. I found it pretty cool that the while the sword was an Executioner's Greatsword, it's splintered and now ends at a point, and if you use it, the regular attacks are the same as on it's old self, but the R2 is now a stab, which kind of reflects the description on his repeater, too. He was basically just relentlessly trudging along, finding any way to get to the Dark Soul, being resourceful, inventing new ways of dealing with stuff he couldn't handle and improvising as the task required, knowing in the end you'd likely have to kill him and bring the pigment back.

You mean his homing kienzan? Paired with lightning and spooky scary skull attacks? Those were totally balanced and not at all a sort of self-aware overblown parody of Soulsborne difficulty.

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 4, 2017

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Vil posted:

Assuming you haven't rebound your KB/M controls, the game probably thinks you've got left-click held down. Especially if after alt-tabbing, you left-clicked to get back into the game.

Like with other times computers think things get stuck after you alt-tab (modifier keys are common culprits), pushing the offending button again to make the computer register it happening - and more to the point register it no longer happening when you've released it - might solve things. In this case that would be clicking the mouse. And for shits and giggles mash on your modifier keys too.

Or if you've rebound controls, push whatever KB/M button you've got R1/RB bound to.

Barring all that, rebooting the game will fix it.

Thanks, that makes sense.

This dragon place is crazy and the snake men are bullshit. :rant:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
jesus christ this midir fight is horrible , at least with a strength build. it's so loving tedious and even with 50 vit on ng+ i get two shot. i've gotten him to 50% health a whopping two times, it's a total nightmare

this might be one of the few bosses i give up and watch youtubes of o nwhere exactly to stand because its insanely loving tedious to even get to phase 2 where i don't even know what to expect

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yhorm's is probably one of the best weapons to use on him. Strength build is fine

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Crystal sage has to be one of the worst bosses in the entire series.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Its been a while since I Sunbro'd. I know you need to be within level range of the host, but do you also need to have your world's boss alive to be able to assist others in their respective boss? Or are you free to kill your world's boss?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Crystal sage has to be one of the worst bosses in the entire series.

Yeah, that's probably my #1 hated boss. Not because it's hard, but because it's incredibly unfun.

Most fights either end up being incredibly short because it spawns nearby and you kill it super fast or it spawning on the other end of the arena, you getting hit once and staggered enough to get hit by 5 other spells and die before you can even reach the boss. It's lovely.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Your world's boss can be dead. If you can put down a sign and others can see it, you can be summoned no matter what the status of your own world is.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It really is just horrendously unfun. I don't think I actually died to him the first time I played the game, it I keep dying to him this time and it's really just the shittiest gimmick. He really isn't hard at all but when he kills me it always feels like a cheap shot. I usually die from some random magic in the back while he has one hit left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

It really is just horrendously unfun. I don't think I actually died to him the first time I played the game, it I keep dying to him this time and it's really just the shittiest gimmick. He really isn't hard at all but when he kills me it always feels like a cheap shot. I usually die from some random magic in the back while he has one hit left.

Use Throwing Knives to kill the clones in one hit