Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Q_res posted:

I'm under no delusions that this is a good idea, but I can't get it out of my head...

A terrible, no good, very bad idea

Still, with a maxed out LB-2X cooldown module and maybe a range module for the SPLs...

If you want to use 2-class autocannons just go for http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=442&l=36c64074cdbda7d9aa20f233c35fe8bbd9f3cac4 .

I reoutfitted my NTG with that loadout last night and it's without a doubt the easiest mech I have ever played. Just look at people and click the mouse really fast and they can't out DPS you, especially at your huge range. Your projectiles are very fast so there's not much lead time. The cockpit shake on enemies is extreme. You have no ghost heat penalties and your jam times are miniscule. Don't trade with PPC/Gauss and you win every fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Casuals
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=171&l=fa02a20963730f628c3b6083e8f255f16910b59a

Having been of the receiving end of one of these running firecontrol? scary as poo poo.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Great Beer posted:

Casuals
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=171&l=fa02a20963730f628c3b6083e8f255f16910b59a

Having been of the receiving end of one of these running firecontrol? scary as poo poo.

Yeah, scary that someone can spend 25 dollars on a mech!!!!

:stat::wal:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Commoners posted:

Yeah, scary that someone can spend 25 dollars on a mech!!!!

:stat::wal:

500 dollar golden mechs

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Anita Dickinme posted:

I am. Are you gonna buy me stuff?

Maybe

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah the specific reason I recommend the NTG over the DWF for UAC2s is because it doesn't cost :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: and if you're going to DWF without spending money you get the same number of guns but in a mech that's half again as fast, has good jumpjets, good hitboxes, and decent agility instead of the dumpster fire that is the DWF.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
I bought an ultraviolet.

Fight me.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Goast posted:

I bought an ultraviolet.

Fight me.

Come at me. Ill wait 30 minutes while you trundle across the map.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

Goast posted:

I bought an ultraviolet.

Fight me.

Do I get three free salvos into your arm and side torso as you round a corner

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
I may need to get a NG. I never see good ones, like as in: "aiming", they're just tanky as hell to me.

All this may just be pub-drop perception, and maybe I'm driving PHX's a lot too... but I've never been scared of one.

What're the best and worst builds?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Best build hands down is 1 erppc 2 gauss. All other builds are worse on the NG.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Goast posted:

I bought an ultraviolet.

Fight me.

usually in the last few minutes of the match while you're busy raging about the rest of the team's impatience

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Commoners posted:

Best build hands down is 1 erppc 2 gauss. All other builds are worse on the NG.

:saddowns:

Any other personal preference builds not-quite-meta?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Honestly it's one of those mechs where it's tough to make a bad build. You can do it but you really have to work at it. You can do SRMs and a big AC, paired big ACs, AC and lasers, lots of small ACs... the one caveat for the mech is that it will most likely be crit locked not tonnage locked so you're going to want some kind of ballistics to eat weight probably.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Hm perhaps I should've picked up the D for the unique laser CT hardpoint rather than...literally any of the other Night Gyrs.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

armchairyoda posted:

2 ppc's and 1 gauss

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

armchairyoda posted:

Seven MGs and two MPLs.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=446&l=974bd0218b117970986a720e86f74f35aac97686

Skoll fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 4, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I think after years of MW:O This is my personal favorite build its high risk high reward, but if you can survive till the brawl starts you can pretty much 1v1 everything except a decent brawler Kodiak/Atlas (So not very often), alternately take out an SRM and throw on a medium laser in case you run out of ammo, which doesn;t happen too often because I rarely survive, but can usually take multiple guys down with me.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=300&l=1ddef29ff3031e77c527f933959c4ef60bdf1662

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'll stand by my ghost dad, and commoners is probably the new-type pilot of this game but I still like it with two LBXs. It is subomptimal in high level play with coordinated teams. Pub times is a whole different story.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Grognan posted:

I'll stand by my ghost dad, and commoners is probably the new-type pilot of this game but I still like it with two LBXs. It is subomptimal in high level play with coordinated teams. Pub times is a whole different story.

commoners has been playing for years and his atlas advice is wise and just as true even when you're pubbing it up

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I noticed that playing good mechs while pubbing is more fun because you kill people and win.

Plus you get better with those mechs so you're not a potato when playing with friends.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I just like to do bullshit builds and have fun. Most of the time I don't care about winning unless we're just doing so awful that it's embarrassing.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

armchairyoda posted:

My fave is 4 lbx5s and a ll in the head. It's stupid but it's fun as hell.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I've done 8 games in a row and lost every single one :toot:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Speaking of class 2 acs, what exactly is the difference between C-UAC2s and C-LBX-2s aside from the LBX's not jamming? My current favorite mech to play is a 2x C-UAC2 Adder (which is hilariously fun when it isn't jamming) but I'm wondering if the smart move isn't to switch it to LBXs.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

Speaking of class 2 acs, what exactly is the difference between C-UAC2s and C-LBX-2s aside from the LBX's not jamming? My current favorite mech to play is a 2x C-UAC2 Adder (which is hilariously fun when it isn't jamming) but I'm wondering if the smart move isn't to switch it to LBXs.

You can double tap the UACs and do more cockpit shaking.

Ultimately try both see which you prefer?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

DancingShade posted:

You can double tap the UACs and do more cockpit shaking.

Ultimately try both see which you prefer?

Yeah I'll have to give it a shot, I sort of assumed that there was some weird mechanical difference hidden in :pgi:'s terrible implementation of everything, but if the only difference is the double tap ability (which jams more often than not it seems) maybe I'll enjoy the LBXs

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah I'll have to give it a shot, I sort of assumed that there was some weird mechanical difference hidden in :pgi:'s terrible implementation of everything, but if the only difference is the double tap ability (which jams more often than not it seems) maybe I'll enjoy the LBXs

If you are dead set on face tanking 24/7 you MIGHT be better off with LBXs. On the other hand if you can pull back behind cover once every 30 seconds or so the UAC jams aren't half the issue. They clear quickly in the 2's anyways.

Disclaimer: I use clan UACs a LOT, so I"m very comfortable being the mech equivalent of a trap door spider: jump out, gently caress some poo poo back up, jump back in my hole. If you're inside your range envelope and can land your shots UACs trade better than just about anything in the game, with the possible exception of the FLPPD gauss/ppc builds.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you are dead set on face tanking 24/7 you MIGHT be better off with LBXs. On the other hand if you can pull back behind cover once every 30 seconds or so the UAC jams aren't half the issue. They clear quickly in the 2's anyways.

Disclaimer: I use clan UACs a LOT, so I"m very comfortable being the mech equivalent of a trap door spider: jump out, gently caress some poo poo back up, jump back in my hole. If you're inside your range envelope and can land your shots UACs trade better than just about anything in the game, with the possible exception of the FLPPD gauss/ppc builds.

I mean it's an Adder, so any build on it should be more shoot-n-scoot than facetanking, I'd hope. I do fine with the UACs, jams and all, I just always obsess over my poo poo-fits for some reason, and there's not a lot online about AUC2s vs LBX2s, probably because nobody ever really uses them outside of comedy DW builds.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

UACs can fire twice as fast as LBX2s. UACs are pinpoint and will hit where you aim, LBX2s will spread and each pellet that you fire does one damage wherever it hits. One of the only reasons to take LBXs over UACs for clans is so you can fire all of them at once without ghost heat, ie 2 UAC20s vs 2 LB20Xs.

Right now the ONLY LBX that has any appreciable benefit over its AC/UAC counterparts in the game is the IS LB10X, and that's because it uses one less critical slot and weighs one less ton than its AC10 counterpart. The only time you should get close to considering using them is if you have really good spread quirks for the LBXs, like with the gargoyle (and even then they're still inferior to UACs.)

The Adder is a gunboat light, so you're interested in popping out, making GBS threads damage all over someone, and then getting back into cover before they turn to shoot you in the face. Watch any of your poking heavies or assaults and poke up at the same time that they do, or you'll get trashed. Slow lights like the kitfox and adder are easy pickings, so people will totally take the opportunity to blast your face off if you expose at the wrong time or hang around for too long.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Wonder how the Annihilator will turn out. Looks like the arms are above crotch height at least but they're pretty sticky outy. Also that is a uselessly low engine cap

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Wonder how the Annihilator will turn out. Looks like the arms are above crotch height at least but they're pretty sticky outy. Also that is a uselessly low engine cap

the canon annihilator runs a 200 std. it can barely move.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Marauder IICs coming out for CBills today. I was looking at the Marauder with 2 ballistics and JJ capabilities. Anyone have thoughts on which ones to buy?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Artificer posted:

Marauder IICs coming out for CBills today. I was looking at the Marauder with 2 ballistics and JJ capabilities. Anyone have thoughts on which ones to buy?

The Scorch.
SCORCH
I can't figure out why but I manage to get 1 more LBX ammo in-game:

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 4, 2017

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I was thinking of picking up the 3 ballistic one (the MADIIC-A I think?) and trying a 3x UAC10 build on it because that seems appropriately stupid and fun.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

TjyvTompa posted:

The Scorch.
SCORCH
I can't figure out why but I manage to get 1 more LBX ammo in-game:

You have 1 more SRM ammo in-game.

But even with the fourth LBX ammo, isn't 14 shots kinda low? When I run dual AC-20 mechs I want at least five tons of ammo.

In any case, the Scorch is not a CBills mech. From someone who almost never plays clan mechs, does this MAD-IIC-D look salvageable?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

NihilCredo posted:

In any case, the Scorch is not a CBills mech. From someone who almost never plays clan mechs, does this MAD-IIC-D look salvageable?

It looks a bit aenemic to be honest. If you are absolutely committed to that mech and a double LB20 build, use an ER PPC instead of a LPL, and I guess another ton of ammo instead of a ML. The thing that makes LB+SRM good at close range is the ability to fire and turn immediately, and using any kind of clan laser turns you into a starefest; and especially for two lasers it's not worth doing that. On the other hand you have the heat capacity to run an ER PPC and you can fire that and then twist unlike the LPL.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Artificer posted:

Marauder IICs coming out for CBills today.

Is this why I've been murdering an endless stream of IICs all day?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
wait have they not changed the game at all in the last six months? I thought there was going to be a new skill tree or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Surprise Giraffe posted:

wait have they not changed the game at all in the last six months? I thought there was going to be a new skill tree or something

They got scrapped due to massive backlash (although most of that was from Russ or Paul calling their paying customers cheapskates), but here is a picture of the skill trees PGI was considering:

• Locked thread