Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Picked up the DLC after a break away from the game and my experiences with the content itself have generally been good. I like some of the balance changes that came with the patches - though I am not sure I like some of the tweaks or lack of tweaks for certain weapons/skills/spells. The technical improvements on the PS4 pro are quite nice, however, and are definitely welcome. Runs much smoother and allows me to enjoy the DLC areas with less stuttering/slowdown. As for the DLC areas, I like the environment design quite a bit and have had fun with most of the enemies and bosses thus far. The normal enemies are pretty tough but I only found two, the angels and the ring knight longsword wielding ringed knights, to be really tricky. No complaints on the bosses so far, even if Judicator Argo was slightly underwhelming. Getting the feeling that maybe running around with my NG+ char might not have been such a hot idea after such a long break, but I'm planning to force myself back into the groove (especiallyy since I realized that I only need that dumb ring trophy).

As for the lore, I'm not done the DLC just yet so I can't really comment too much on that, but I've liked the vibe of it so far. Overall it's been an improvement over Ariandel, which itself was generally a fun experience.

Also, getting back into DkS3 after a long break from it quickly reminded me of all the issues I have with how the game actually plays. It's definitely the most fluid of the Dark Souls games but a lot of the additions and changes to combat really fall flat with me.

Finally, anyone still think a Follower's Sabre is a decent choice for quality builds? Since it's been rebalanced I might give it a whirl again. Felt kind of cheap using it pre-patch and I just put it aside despite liking the way it looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Use Throwing Knives to kill the clones in one hit

Or a bow. Crossbow works too.

That fight makes me miss Bloodborne because in that game when an enemy spawns ethereal clones like that you can just back up and shoot the bastard. :clint:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
No boss will ever be as bad as Pinwheel. Everything about that boss just doesn't work, not that you'll even notice because he's dead before he does half the things he can do.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
at least thematically pinwheel is the loving poo poo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Pinwheel is cool and challenging if you fight him right after you get to Firelink and no further, but at any other point in the game he just sucks. His whole gimmick is not letting the fight get out of hand because eventually there will be a bunch of clones hopping around, but he has like no health for some reason so he dies before that can demonstrate itself.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The real problem is that the catacombs are a really strangely paced location. They're next to firelink, but everything fucks you up there. It's really hard to get back, but you're supposed to go there before you get the lordvessel??? The rite of kindling is okay but it's probably not required for O&S (though I think those guys are too hard)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
To this day I have no idea how you're supposed to get out of the pit at the bottom of the catacombs without warping back/dying. The ground floor with all the bonewheels just seems totally inescapable but there has to be a way back out, right?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its amazing how much better the lightning bow is than almost every other spell for PvP.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

CJacobs posted:

To this day I have no idea how you're supposed to get out of the pit at the bottom of the catacombs without warping back/dying. The ground floor with all the bonewheels just seems totally inescapable but there has to be a way back out, right?

One of the rooms- I think the one that has the necromancer- has a ladder that lets you climb back up.

Heh. Brings me back. Running to the Tomb of the Giants as early as possible to rescue Rhea for faith builds... Good times. Good times.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Catacombs are so bad lmbo

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Running a faith build was the best in that game, really forced me to change up my progression route and sunbroing asap to get that coveted sunlight spear (which really pissed off players if you managed to pop em with it)? ahh that was an adventure lemme tell you

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Catacombs are a great zone, don't get the hate. They're reasonably challenging if you do an early run to pick up kindling, but by the time you get the lordvessel and the game pushes you in that direction they're just fun to explore with plenty of trash foes to wipe out. Pinwheel is easy because he's a potential first boss, but probably a bit too easy even at low levels.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yhorm's is probably one of the best weapons to use on him. Strength build is fine

yeah I switched to vordt and got him below 10% three times in a row. it's so loving insanely tedious good god

basically I bait his downward breath , run between his legs just away from it, run back and try to hit him in the head then roll into his body for another r1 and repeat. then he spends 4 minutes doing moves that I can't punish and its infuriating

he'd be fine on ng but his HP is way too drat high. he actually gets easier in the second phase which is absurd

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
So this is the fanart I had to do last night after finishing the DLC. It was pretty fun.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Maleh-Vor posted:

So this is the fanart I had to do last night after finishing the DLC. It was pretty fun.

Wow why is Santa so pissed?

Its good

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I think going under midir is a mistake

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Internet Kraken posted:

Wow why is Santa so pissed?

Its good
He ran out of coal.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Its not. A bunch of his moves totally whiff when you run under him. Notably the crazy laser disco he can pull out in phase 2 will kill you if you stand anywhere other than right under him. You want to be hitting him in the head most of the time, but running under him to avoid his bites and swipes is smart as long as you're mindful of his tail sweep.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

he won't even do the tail sweep most of the time

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

skasion posted:

Catacombs are a great zone, don't get the hate. They're reasonably challenging if you do an early run to pick up kindling, but by the time you get the lordvessel and the game pushes you in that direction they're just fun to explore with plenty of trash foes to wipe out. Pinwheel is easy because he's a potential first boss, but probably a bit too easy even at low levels.

Though I didn't mind the catacombs, I can understand why some players might. They're right next to the Shrine and can easily lead an unprepared player into an area with enemies that they might find overwhelming, especially if they aren't aware of the necromancers. Pinwheel is definitely too easy though and really isn't a threat even on a first time NG run. That said, I definitely would go to bat for the area! It's pretty easy to speed through once you know where to fall as well!

Worst area in DkS1 in my opinion is Blighttown.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm not sure how anyone can say the worst area in DS1 is anything other than Lost Izalith.

Pinwheel is one of my favorite bosses aesthetically but I think he still wins the award for biggest chump in the whole series. Like, there are easy bosses I enjoyed such as Deacons and Skeleton Lords but Pinwheel flops over so quickly he's not even fun to beat up.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 4, 2017

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Your Computer posted:

Yeah, that's probably my #1 hated boss. Not because it's hard, but because it's incredibly unfun.

Most fights either end up being incredibly short because it spawns nearby and you kill it super fast or it spawning on the other end of the arena, you getting hit once and staggered enough to get hit by 5 other spells and die before you can even reach the boss. It's lovely.

It's a fight where your armor choice matters a whole lot. Boost those elemental resists as much as you can, and maybe pop one of the blue troches you get right before the boss arena as the second phase starts.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Its not. A bunch of his moves totally whiff when you run under him. Notably the crazy laser disco he can pull out in phase 2 will kill you if you stand anywhere other than right under him. You want to be hitting him in the head most of the time, but running under him to avoid his bites and swipes is smart as long as you're mindful of his tail sweep.

That's wrong. That's completely wrong. I've never been hit by it dashing to the side. Not even rolling.

I just think it's too hard to see what he's doing next, and to hit his head if you go under him. I take more damage getting blindsided by an attack I can't read than I avoid rolling under him.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm not sure how anyone can say the worst area in DS1 is anything other than Lost Izalith.

I always forget that the sunlight maggot way is not the regular way to go there

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I always forget that the sunlight maggot way is not the regular way to go there

Even with the "shortcut" the boss run is still like an entire minute of sprinting.

The only redeeming things about Lost Izalith are the chaos eaters looking cool and Centipede Demon being a fun fight if you go to his secret arena.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just went into the first dlc for the first time at sl 25. Should I just peace out and come back? I'm guessing this is not geared towards and early game character.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

If there's an item you want you can mad dash for it. Otherwise yeah

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Pinwheel is one of my favorite bosses aesthetically but I think he still wins the award for biggest chump in the whole series. Like, there are easy bosses I enjoyed such as Deacons and Skeleton Lords but Pinwheel flops over so quickly he's not even fun to beat up.

While I sort of forgot about Lost Izalith when writing that, it was still less tedious to deal with than Blighttown on my first playthrough, but it's certainly up there for bad areas - especially without the shortcut. And the Bed of Chaos was not the greatest boss fight in the world. Blighttown just rubbed me the wrong way I guess.

veni veni veni posted:

I just went into the first dlc for the first time at sl 25. Should I just peace out and come back? I'm guessing this is not geared towards and early game character.

I think that's the right call. Although that area has some fun stuff in it.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I mean yeah you can try to argue that Pinwheel could be the first real boss of Dark Souls you encounter but by the same logic so could Quelaag and Sif and I don't think anybody would argue that's something that a person would normally do or that would make any sense. The Catacombs are an intensely frustrating and unrewarding direction for a new player to go until you actually get to Pinwheel and then the Rite of Kindling is nice but also you're stuck at the bottom of a loving pit and you can't progress much beyond that so the whole thing outside that is a waste of time. By comparison the Taurus Demon once defeated gives you new directions to go. You'd have to be intensely hard-headed to actually make Pinwheel your first boss... and even then he's probably disappointingly easy since you can own him by just running up to him and swinging until you're out of stamina.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
People praise DS1 a lot but man does the second half suck. Izalith, Tomb of Giants, etc. are worse than anything in DS2 or 3.

Maleh-Vor posted:

drat

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Your Computer posted:

People praise DS1 a lot but man does the second half suck. Izalith, Tomb of Giants, etc. are worse than anything in DS2 or 3.

People complain about dark souls 2 reusing bosses because you fight pursuer a bunch, but at least he's a cool fight. Stray Demon and the third asylum demon fight whatever it was called are some of my least favorite fights in Dark Souls.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

tomb of the giants was good. izalith was probably the only post-lordvessel area that i would say was kind of disappointing, and even then the visuals were neat.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
There's a pretty marked quality difference between Duke's Archives and New Londo and then Tomb of the Giants, and a gigantic difference between that and Lost Izalith. The back stretch of Dark 2/3 and Bloodborne are infinitely better than the worst parts of Dark 1, but I really love the Duke's Archives. I was hoping Aldia's Keep would be a callback to that but then it's over in like 10 minutes. The archives of 3 are like ehn they're okay.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Tomb has one of the most awesome views in the game, when you go around that bend where the paladin invades you. You've been running around in pitch black darkness scared for your life, and then the light appears, broadens, and widens out into a vast panorama of giant dead trees. On that note, I love ash lake. The music is so good. It was really cool to see a burnt up version in DS3. Though the giant crossbow was a little weird. I guess it follows the motif of the hydra, it even lobs multiple projectiles at you.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Maleh-Vor posted:

This looks great!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Nuebot posted:

People complain about dark souls 2 reusing bosses because you fight pursuer a bunch, but at least he's a cool fight. Stray Demon and the third asylum demon fight whatever it was called are some of my least favorite fights in Dark Souls.

You didn't actually fight Pursuer more than 3 times in the original game though, one of which was strictly a NG+ encounter. They added more Pursuer fights in SOTFS but I'm pretty sure that was in response to people actually wishing the Pursuer showed up more.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Internet Kraken posted:

Dragonrider gives pinwheel a run for its money when it comes to biggest chump.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Internet Kraken posted:

You didn't actually fight Pursuer more than 3 times in the original game though, one of which was strictly a NG+ encounter. They added more Pursuer fights in SOTFS but I'm pretty sure that was in response to people actually wishing the Pursuer showed up more.

They're also all super optional. Like not even in the "Just don't fight that boss" sense beyond the first one but in the "just run out of the room" sense like any other enemy.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

Dragonrider gives pinwheel a run for its money when it comes to biggest chump.

He'd actually be dangerous if you couldn't get rid of the pit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Nakar posted:

There's a pretty marked quality difference between Duke's Archives and New Londo and then Tomb of the Giants, and a gigantic difference between that and Lost Izalith. The back stretch of Dark 2/3 and Bloodborne are infinitely better than the worst parts of Dark 1, but I really love the Duke's Archives. I was hoping Aldia's Keep would be a callback to that but then it's over in like 10 minutes. The archives of 3 are like ehn they're okay.

the back half of bloodborne is probably the best part of the best soulsborne game out