Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Desperate Character posted:

the new DLC is like the worst one out of the entire series. I can't believe they thought it would be fun having multiple times you have to duck and cover. Even when you finally get to the city they spam even more enemies than the worst rooms in Brume Tower. It's so disappointing this is the final one :(

This is sad to hear. I can't even bring myself to finish DS3 and was hoping the dlc would give me an incentive. I basically quit playing after finishing irythill dungeon and I've beaten every souls game including dark souls 2 twice. I don't know why but dark souls 3 feels like a chore to play through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Tedious is a good adjective for DS3

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
The dark souls cycle at work...

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Dark Souls 3 was not a fun game to play. I still finished it because I played there other games. I will likely never play the DLC and when u think if Dark Souls I will remember how much fun I had with the first two games and pretend 3 didn't exist.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Dark Souls 3 is my fave

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Looper posted:

The dark souls cycle at work...

Nah I loved DS1 and DS2 always and forever despite the haters and while DS3 is still a good game with solid atmosphere and a few really sick boss fights, I think this feeling of "is this even fun bro?" constantly nagged at me during my playtime, both during release, after Ariandel, and definitely now playing through the ringed city

This is the only game where I felt compelled to run ahead and unlock shortcuts before even engaging bigger enemies when exploring a new level for the first time (especially towards the end) because the player expectations were getting a bit too ridiculous, especially if you like to kill poo poo as you explore a new area. I never ran away from enemies and/or always forced myself to get good in the other games before fully exploring a map, and found bloodborne to be much easier than my opening hours suggested it would be (sans chalice dungeons)

Even when you get familiar with the new enemy movesets, a tiny slip up will still have your rear end murdered and it just gets super tedious. Here's three ringed knights for you to fight back to back, watch out bro they will two shot you! Oh also let's toss some enviromental hazards because stealth is always good and fun in soulsborne.

And remember you first time through irythill, or even the high wall, facing your first set of lothric knights or smashing you head against the irythill knights until you got good enough to kill several of them in a row? What about the fuckoff knights in lothric castle, especially the ones who buff other dudes? I don't think the other games felt as oppressive or demanding, esp. during the first playthrough. Don't even get me started on the multi phases bosses that are essentially "learn multiple movesets, but remember you can only try to learn the other movesets after you whittle down the boss's first (or second) phase!"

I still clocked in over 100 hours for what it's worth

E: added words and stuff

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 4, 2017

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I am playing Golden Sun again. These are some masterpieces in game design. Criss-crossing the world and returning to old places with new purposes, but it never feels tedious. And the art is just great. I remember why I loved them so much as a kid.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

thehoodie posted:

I am playing Golden Sun again. These are some masterpieces in game design. Criss-crossing the world and returning to old places with new purposes, but it never feels tedious. And the art is just great. I remember why I loved them so much as a kid.

That's surprising to hear. These days it's commonly accepted that they were actually pretty mediocre games but felt good thanks to the graphics and the general dearth of contemporary RPGs on handheld.

People could correct me if I'm wrong, maybe it's still the golden sun it was at the time

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I loved golden sun back in the day but they are not very good games....

The visuals and "omg it's an RPG" carried it far, as you mentioned but it's overall pretty dull, I remember losing interest halfway through Lost Age (boy does that game drag)

I eventually did beat it but meh

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

"masterpiece in design" is the farthest thing I'd call Golden Sun with the inane story and low-tier puzzles. The LP by Quovak is pretty funny if you want to see how far the rabbit hole goes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare is surprisingly not bad. The campaign is straightforward but punchy and it is basically the Battlestar Galactica/Expanse game I didn't know I wanted. But I think I am swayed by my love of military chatter, and naval chatter is the best kind, which is also why I loved Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

thehoodie posted:

This is a sarcastic post, right.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

This is a sarcastic post, right.

:confused:

:crossarms:

I...I think he might be!

:colbert:

...but I can't be sure.

:shrug:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

:confused:

:crossarms:

I...I think he might be!

:colbert:

...but I can't be sure.

:shrug:

Needs a couple more

quote:

!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
So I managed to start my P5 download via the website because for some reason that's the only venue that worked

loving sony, oh well it's happenin' boys!

ETA: 120 minutes :suicide:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Phantom Brave: I can finally make a Titlist!

...Now, what to name him....

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare is surprisingly not bad. The campaign is straightforward but punchy and it is basically the Battlestar Galactica/Expanse game I didn't know I wanted. But I think I am swayed by my love of military chatter, and naval chatter is the best kind, which is also why I loved Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak.

you should play titanfall 2

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

you should play titanfall 2

I did. I know that's a better game but it doesn't have naval chatter

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Military chatter is like the worst kind of white noise, I don't understand how anyone can be fond of that, even if you actually served.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

StrixNebulosa posted:

Phantom Brave: I can finally make a Titlist!

...Now, what to name him....

Tee hee, tit list

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I named him Bobblers 'cause I'm three. :v:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Having been a big DMC fan, I wanted to like P* games but none have quite landed with me because the combat is a little too loose and they always have incredibly ADHD visual/audio design. Then again, I haven't played Metal Gear Rising and my DMC-loving friend says that one is the best of the bunch...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Military chatter is like the worst kind of white noise, I don't understand how anyone can be fond of that, even if you actually served.

There's something very musical about it. I like the rhythm of it like the rhythm of David Mamet dialogue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFpZtN1ySs0

Serf
May 5, 2011

Tomorrow when I get home from work a Switch with Breath of the Wild and Persona 5 will be waiting for me. And I'm getting sucked back into Destiny. There's just too much game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Serf posted:

Tomorrow when I get home from work a Switch with Breath of the Wild and Persona 5 will be waiting for me. And I'm getting sucked back into Destiny. There's just too much game.

the Switch means you can play P5 and BotW at the same time!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Once persona 5 comes out in 30 minutes all I'll have left is Rebuild 4

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

thehoodie posted:

You're a couple days late there pal

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
16 more minutes boys

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
yo im officially playing persona 5 rn

the inevitable portable version is gon be the tits but for now I'll take my crack in console format

poo poo is so stylish omg

E: are they gonna really call the MC "Joker" during missions? sorry guys this game is officially garbage-tier

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 4, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm leaving on a work trip tomorrow and won't be back until Friday, so I'm forcing myself not to start Persona 5 yet or I'm gonna go nuts. :negative:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

KingSlime posted:

E: are they gonna really call the MC "Joker" during missions? sorry guys this game is officially garbage-tier

Finally, a new Mass Effect.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Harrow posted:

I'm leaving on a work trip tomorrow and won't be back until Friday, so I'm forcing myself not to start Persona 5 yet or I'm gonna go nuts. :negative:

that is probably a wise yet sad decision

Hearing the velvet room song coming outta my main tv....gorgeous

I didn't play any console versions of persona til now, thinking back on it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Harrow posted:

Might be time to resign

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

haveblue posted:

Only because at the time they were Clover and had not yet achieved their final form.

NGB was absolutely the best brawler of that generation but none of the 360-era NG games lived up to it.

That's a weird way to spell God Hand

Jay Rust posted:

That's surprising to hear. These days it's commonly accepted that they were actually pretty mediocre games but felt good thanks to the graphics and the general dearth of contemporary RPGs on handheld.

People could correct me if I'm wrong, maybe it's still the golden sun it was at the time

No, you're right, even in 2002 I would have found the idea of Golden Sun being "not tedious" pretty laughable

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 4, 2017

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

trying to buy Nier for the PS3 has shown me that it's easier, and in some cases just as cheap, to just give up and buy Persona or Horizon.

And a lot of people bought Brink which is just lol

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Yeah all those things you complain about are what I like, and I'm 100% certain not attributing oppressive to both DS1 and 2 (or SOTFS doubly so) is some weird rose-tinted blinders; that's the point. It's immediately obvious just from the art style from the first second and the gameplay, plot, lore, everything else just reinforces that. It's way more confusing to claim otherwise.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Everyone with their Personas and animes and I'm just here waiting for the PaRappa the Rapper and Bulletstorm remasters. :c00lbert:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Yeah all those things you complain about are what I like, and I'm 100% certain not attributing oppressive to both DS1 and 2 (or SOTFS doubly so) is some weird rose-tinted blinders; that's the point. It's immediately obvious just from the art style from the first second and the gameplay, plot, lore, everything else just reinforces that. It's way more confusing to claim otherwise.

I mostly agree with you, I just think DS3 went too far in the "this is really tiresome" way. In many ways, some accused sotfs as doing the same thing in areas, and I would agree with that as well, especially in some of the DLC areas.

Maybe the formula just wore thin on me after 300 collective hours, I don't know. But Bloodborne never reached the levels of tedium DS3 manages to hit.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The snake in Snake Pass looks like the chillest motherfucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
golden sun was obsolete the moment mario & luigi superstar saga was released

• Locked thread