Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Riatsala posted:

I don't know what it is about Craigslist that completely breaks down the western convention that haggling a price is considered gauche, but that's not my pet peeve. My pet peeve is that people are insultingly bad at it.

Trying to sell a camper worth 15k for 12k. Guy emails me, telling me that his buddy who totally exists and sells campers for a living says it's only worth 7.5k at most. References a website that doesn't exist as a secondary source. Texts me every day at 7 AM to ask if I'm ready to relent.

Worse are the people who agree to a price, then show up and try to buy a $200 item for $50. Every single goddamn time. I once shaved 10% off a workout bench for a kid just because he didn't try to pull anything.

Also good are the idiots that come right out of the gate with "how low will u go" emails. Look, moron, I'm not going to haggle with myself. That's not how this works at all. Same goes for the people who ask questions that were specifically answered in the loving ad. READ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I don't mind haggling but once we agree on a price and where to meet the haggling is done. I don't want to show up and you try to bring the price lower once we're face to face.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

InediblePenguin posted:

if you think that's some kind of new thing caused by or related in any way to Craigslist you just never tried to sell a used vehicle or hold a yard sale before Craigslist was a thing

I had a garage sale and I was selling a bike for real cheap. This one tween girl neighbor kept coming by and asking if she could have it for free. I mean, nothing ventured, but really?

Edit: Also, one time I met a guy at a parking lot to sell him a trumpet. He looks the trumpet over, and then says he doesn't have cash. Okay! Well, bye?

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 18:57 on Mar 31, 2017

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
There is a guy at work that *HRRRRRRRRK* clears his throat or *HRRRK PBBBBBB* blows his nose every 20 *ahhhhh HRRRRRK cough cough* loving seconds and I swear to CHRIST I am going to strangle him.

It has gotten to the point where I am either wearing my headphones all day or booking a room for hours on end just to get away from it. I have offered him Halls, Fisherman's Friend, and a referral to my allergy doctor. He insists he's fine. He's not going to be if this keeps up. It has been 2 months dude.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Also good are the idiots that come right out of the gate with "how low will u go" emails. Look, moron, I'm not going to haggle with myself. That's not how this works at all. Same goes for the people who ask questions that were specifically answered in the loving ad. READ.

That infuriated me until I started answering them with my original list price.

The one heart-warming exception was when I was selling off a bunch of old Calvin and Hobbes books, got an email to that effect. Turns out it was a teacher in a poor district who wanted to flesh out his in-class library. I couldn't take money for that, so I donated them as my one good deed of the year.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I don't mind haggling but once we agree on a price and where to meet the haggling is done. I don't want to show up and you try to bring the price lower once we're face to face.

Yeah, exactly. I guess people tend to relent just to get the sale over with, but I'm a little too spiteful to fold like that. To my own detriment, no doubt.

I've been considering adding a disclaimer to all my postings along the lines of "If you don't show up ready to pay the agreed upon price you will not leave with X" but I'm afraid that would scare off some legitimate buyers.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Riatsala posted:

I've been considering adding a disclaimer to all my postings along the lines of "If you don't show up ready to pay the agreed upon price you will not leave with X" but I'm afraid that would scare off some legitimate buyers.

That does sound very like high-pressure-sales, so people may have trouble trusting an ad with that kind of disclaimer. No "seeing what it's like/that it exists before you decide to haul money" just "Come and pay me sight unseen. I'm good for it!"

Just saying that's how some people could perceive it.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

BioEnchanted posted:

That does sound very like high-pressure-sales, so people may have trouble trusting an ad with that kind of disclaimer. No "seeing what it's like/that it exists before you decide to haul money" just "Come and pay me sight unseen. I'm good for it!"

Just saying that's how some people could perceive it.

Yeah, and that's the problem. It'd be a thin line to walk, insisting that it's a take it or leave it situation without sounding like a sketchy rear end in a top hat. I don't care if people show up with every intention of buying my stuff, see it, and change their mind. That's understandable.

Riatsala has a new favorite as of 19:09 on Mar 31, 2017

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah I'd understand if I was selling a comic and we agreed and I showed up and pulled it out of my back pocket an unfolded it. Most of the time I'm selling things that cant really lose "value" or look "bad" for lack of a better word.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
In my experience appraisers do the same thing too, just the other way around. I showed my old game collection to someone and they told me it was worth thousands to get me to put it on the market, only for them to say "I'll give you (20% of what I said it was worth retail)". How stupid do you think I am?

Haggling is fun but only if the two of you are in the same ballpark. If I'm asking anywhere between 4000-7000 and you're down at 600-900 what are we even talking for?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A different subject, but I dislike when someone leaves a bad poop at work and doesn't bother to try to clean it up. Not just failing to flush but staining it badly. If you have a medical reason, fine, although you can still clean it up a reasonable amount if it's just the seat, or if it is too bad, like if the bowl is a mess, then talk to the guy at reception so he can get it dealt with quickly. If it isn't medical then goddamn you are like 30-40 years old. Clean up your diet! I eat a lot of snack foods sure, but I also drink plenty of water and at evening meals make sure to boil some vegetables (normally Broccoli or Carrots) to at least not be malnourished. If it's liquid, or too sticky, and it's not medical then find out what your missing, cause your doing something very, very wrong somewhere. It's worst on the weekends as no cleaning staff are in until Monday so bad toilet etiquette just stays there, ruining the bathroom for the entire weekend, and due to shops not being open as long/them working longer hours weekend workers eat worse as well which compounds the issue.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Ugh, people who don't know how to haggle drive me insane. Because I hate myself I run a stall at a flea market once a year or so. The prices I have listed give me the option to drop maybe 10% off them before I'm selling at a loss and I don't mind haggling with someone if they are friendly about it but I will always, always get these loving shitstains come up to me, look at a thing and say 'what's the best you can do?'. No! That's not how it works you incredible moron. There is a price on the item. You offer a lower price and I offer a middle-ground price. If you want to haggle then haggle, don't expect me to do all the work for you to pay less for my stuff. gently caress. These days when people ask me 'what's the best you can do' I just say double the sticker price and watch their minds explode a little bit. Goddamn it frustrates me so much.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Seems proof that you should just set the sticker price to that 10% off and not haggle at all.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Unfortunately people at flea markets expect to be able to haggle a bit and I want to get rid of stock so I don't mind if someone feels like they're getting a good deal and they end up buying more stuff because of it. There's just a certain strain of rear end in a top hat (normally they're running their own stalls and are just sharking around trying to find poo poo to resell) who expect you to give them 90% off sticker price and be grateful for the sale and those people can go fuuuucccckkkkk themselves.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

gently caress, at my store we had a guy act all smug about us losing his business when we wouldn't sell a yard trimmer to him at a loss.

I loving hate talking to people about money. So many of them just become prickly dicks when you won't give them poo poo for free.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
A large portion of my job involves calling people and man, if your voicemail message is longer than "this is [name], my hours are [time], please leave a message" then you need to figure yourself out. Your voicemail message should not be so long that you're able to leave your own voicemail with me after you miss my call in the time it takes me to listen to your own message. You don't need to give people seven numbers, a home address, and your opinion on Obama.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Why would anyone still use voicemail? I just hang up if it goes to voicemail and email them or send a text message instead.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I specifically have to leave a voicemail, so I have to sit through each and every one, which is horrible. The novelty ones are almost the worst because they're utterly wasting my time but I did really like the one where the woman sang a little hymn to god before saying she couldn't take my call. Also the one that said, "if this is Obama, go jump in a lake".

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I do lots of calls for people whom I have to leave a message and it's annoying enough that the default voicemail message is often just the automated lady reading back the number but I've had people who create an actual voicemail message, read the phone number off, and then not actually say their name or anything. Like your name is basically the most useful part of identifying if I have the wrong number or not, I already can see what number I dialed seeing as how basically every phone made nowadays has a display of some kind.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Garrand posted:

I do lots of calls for people whom I have to leave a message and it's annoying enough that the default voicemail message is often just the automated lady reading back the number but I've had people who create an actual voicemail message, read the phone number off, and then not actually say their name or anything. Like your name is basically the most useful part of identifying if I have the wrong number or not, I already can see what number I dialed seeing as how basically every phone made nowadays has a display of some kind.

People who actually answer the phone this way are the worst. They seem to be paranoid about giving out their name. The first thing you tell a random stranger you meet anywhere, but for some reason it's a huge secret if you're talking on the phone.

:phone: 5516 4874
:phoneb: Hi, could I speak to John Smith?
:phone: What's this about?
:phoneb: Am I speaking to John?
:phone: Just tell me what you're calling about.

No! Just tell me if I'm talking to the right person or not!

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I can't stand when people leave their name and number at the beginning of a voicemail​. I don't know if I give a poo poo yet! Tell me why you're calling and leave your contact info at the end. Or at the very least give it to me at both the beginning and end.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My phone literally just called somebody on its own. What the gently caress.

If this happens again it is going to quickly escalate past "peeve" territory.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
With the grocery store near my building going out of business, I've had to go to a somewhat equally close Walmart to get food.

It's practically one big pet peeve. Everything seems like the cheap-rear end version of what I'm looking for, the aisles are thin enough that it feels like there's only one lane, the folks working there are confused when I ask them basic things (admittedly complicated questions, such as like "Excuse me, where is the tuna?"), and if I have to deal with one more customer leaving their cart in the direct middle of customer traffic, someone is getting mowed down.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 04:51 on Apr 2, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Tiggum posted:

People who actually answer the phone this way are the worst. They seem to be paranoid about giving out their name. The first thing you tell a random stranger you meet anywhere, but for some reason it's a huge secret if you're talking on the phone.

:phone: 5516 4874
:phoneb: Hi, could I speak to John Smith?
:phone: What's this about?
:phoneb: Am I speaking to John?
:phone: Just tell me what you're calling about.

No! Just tell me if I'm talking to the right person or not!

lol I hate this. We have to take information from guests and it's amazing how reticent people are to tell me, like, the name of their spouse or their home address. The main thing I've learned in this job is that a lot of people are extremely paranoid weirdos.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
People who are way too quick to beep their horn while driving.
Don't move the instant the light turns green? HONK
Get a little too close to their lane (without actually crossing the lines)? HONK
Calm your tits, dude.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

If you are driving on the freeways in Southern California and you are going less than 75mph in the left-most lane you can gently caress off.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The folks down the hall believe that their incense in some way masks the smell of their weed.

The folks down the hall are EXTREMELY INCORRECT about this.

(The usual disclaimer: It's all one to me if people smoke weed, and I think it should be legal for them to do so, I just do not like the smell though I am on some level impressed that they've somehow found a way to make it worse.)

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

MisterBibs posted:

and if I have to deal with one more customer leaving their cart in the direct middle of customer traffic, someone is getting mowed down.

I hate this SOOOOO much! :argh: Also, people who walk next to their own cart while pulling it along the aisle like they're holding hands with the teenage crush or walking a dog. Get out of the way, dammit!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

When people refer to birds eating other birds as cannibalism. A crow is not a chicken!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A wasp is making a nest on my balcony. gently caress you, wasp! I will bring ruin to your kind.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Every wasp there has ever been posted:

A human exists somewhere in the world. gently caress you, human! I will bring ruin to your kind.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Digirat posted:

A wasp is making a nest on my balcony. gently caress you, wasp! I will bring ruin to your kind.

you leave the wasp alone and it will leave you alone, and then it will destroy a whole bunch of other bugs you don't like. Unless it's the type that makes a big colony nest, I wouldn't want one of those close either.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

doverhog posted:

Why would anyone still use voicemail? I just hang up if it goes to voicemail and email them or send a text message instead.

If you're doing anything other than contacting a friend; like contacting a service, business, doctor, etc., it is necessary to leave a message with your name and phone number. Not all people have texts or emails. Older people also tend to prefer phone/voicemail if they can't get to the phone immediately.

Peeve: people who don't understand how to leave a voicemail. It literally, immediately, says " 123-456-7890 is not available. Please leave your message after the tone." But then I get the last 20 seconds of whatever they're saying! "a terrible accident and I hope you got the news." How do you realize it's not recording while the robot is talking?! Then there's the people that do that and also end the call in the middle of their voicemail. "A terrible accident and I hope". Goddamnit how stupid can you be? Then there's people who let the whole robot voicemail message go and leave a 2 second voicemail of silence. What is the point? Their call shows up on my caller ID and they know it! Why leave a voicemail of silence?!

The birds chirping out my window. I thought birds were supposed to start chirping at sunrise or right before it, but these fuckers start at 2am so I wake up and freak out thinking it's 5am and I have to get up for work but nope, it's these birds. (Blame global warming though.)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Yeah, or the dreaded "I'm sorry, but ["hi this is tom sorry I missed your call I must be away from the phone if you need to reach me please leave a voice message or contact me at 1234567 or call my wife at 7654321 thanks and have a nice d]...is not available. Please leave your message after the beep."

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

docbeard posted:

The folks down the hall believe that their incense in some way masks the smell of their weed.

The folks down the hall are EXTREMELY INCORRECT about this.

(The usual disclaimer: It's all one to me if people smoke weed, and I think it should be legal for them to do so, I just do not like the smell though I am on some level impressed that they've somehow found a way to make it worse.)

I've found that people who smoke (especially cigarettes) have no idea how much they reek. I had family members whose houses smelled like cigarette butts and I hated visiting, but if you asked them their house didn't smell at all. Plus their car, their clothes, all their stuff stinks, and you can never lend them anything because it'll come back smelling like smoke.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

ghost emoji posted:

I've found that people who smoke (especially cigarettes) have no idea how much they reek. I had family members whose houses smelled like cigarette butts and I hated visiting, but if you asked them their house didn't smell at all. Plus their car, their clothes, all their stuff stinks, and you can never lend them anything because it'll come back smelling like smoke.

my parents were hella in denial of the cigarette smell when I was growing up... honestly they still are. I know that smoking for 40 years fucks your senses but they just wouldn't believe us if we complained about it, like we were making it up. my younger brother and I got bullied in elementary and middle school for it.

whenever I visit them, I make sure to wear clothes I don't care about as much, but I get bad headaches and feel like poo poo while I'm there. and in public, smokers are more noticeable to me now that my sense of smell isn't wonky.

my dad quit a few years ago (I'm really proud of him!) but my mom refuses to. :smith:

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

starkebn posted:

you leave the wasp alone and it will leave you alone, and then it will destroy a whole bunch of other bugs you don't like. Unless it's the type that makes a big colony nest, I wouldn't want one of those close either.

Every summer there's a beehive somewhere in the vicinity of my boyfriend's apartment building, and there's always just one bumblebee that flies in a relatively steady path back and forth in front of the door, all day every day. It took some getting used to, but now we just walk fast and call it Guard Bee.

If it were a wasp, I'd think it was considerably less cute.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yeah, or the dreaded "I'm sorry, but ["hi this is tom sorry I missed your call I must be away from the phone if you need to reach me please leave a voice message or contact me at 1234567 or call my wife at 7654321 thanks and have a nice d]...is not available. Please leave your message after the beep."

Or the people who apparently decided to record their voicemail greeting in a crowded room during a hailstorm.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I hate when people leave their contact info at the start of the message. I'm probably not ready to write down your name and number until I decide if it's worth getting back to you, so tell me what's up first then leave a phone number at the end. Very rarely will I get a voicemail so important that I'm willing to replay the message, so giving me your number only at the beginning of the message is like a guarantee that I won't call back.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

In job interviews and adverts some things take place in a weird order. In job adverts essential criteria for applying tend to be listed near the bottom sandwiched between unnecessary organisation history and equality and diversity crap. Never mind telling me the year you were founded just get to the loving point! Try beginning an advert with the essential criteria. If you don't meet them the rest of the ad is pointless. Obviously I just scan the advert but it still gets old pretty fast. One was 135kb because they just stupidly pasted their entire application form where there's normally just a few paragraphs and, of course, there was a table detailing 35 years of the organisation's history before the person specification.

Likewise, a recent impromptu phone interviewer, despite being told I was in a rush, insisted on running through a bunch of standard questions about criminal convictions, bankruptcy etc. before competency based questions rendered the rest of it completely pointless. And, if I'm in a rush I can't be standing around telling stories. This was the dumbest phone interview since the one who said "Tell me about yourself" (effectively telling me to recite the CV he had already received) 10 seconds after I told him it hurt to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

The Snoo posted:

my parents were hella in denial of the cigarette smell when I was growing up... honestly they still are. I know that smoking for 40 years fucks your senses but they just wouldn't believe us if we complained about it, like we were making it up. my younger brother and I got bullied in elementary and middle school for it.

whenever I visit them, I make sure to wear clothes I don't care about as much, but I get bad headaches and feel like poo poo while I'm there. and in public, smokers are more noticeable to me now that my sense of smell isn't wonky.

my dad quit a few years ago (I'm really proud of him!) but my mom refuses to. :smith:

I don't think it's denial, I think you literally can't smell it anymore after a while. I don't smoke but my mom did in the house all through childhood. I had a lot of teachers pull me aside and ask if I'm smoking. I never was and I couldn't smell it on myself either.