Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Cool thanks.

Anyway guys if you really must squander two BdE defending against a threat we have seen no sign of then at least do it something like this so we dont have whole Bde's sitting around in the backfield too far apart to support each other and get a coherent trench line up eventually.

For the record if we are using the bde in Steth in the south then at least have the one in Tallis Douche support my move up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
I think we are rapidly approaching the point where we should just dig into as good a position as possible and call the game, I not sure we really have the man power to push through anymore.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The manpower calculus hasn't changed since the start of the game. Every indication is that both sides have gotten equal troop reinforcements.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
We're getting more troops this evening. The reason I want to sit on defense is so that the Brits can suicide more units against us and open a hole in their own defenses.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

We have a hole in their defenses. It's commonly referred to as Foret de Effyaders aka the largest forest on the map aka that giant green blob big enough to hide more than 4 brigades (an entire division) in.

The hole we've punched is so large that we can see one of their artillery parks. Their completely undefended artillery park.

The main thing sitting still for a whole day will accomplish is getting our brigades in the forest shot by their artillery since they've got a decent idea as to where we are.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Added Space posted:

We're getting more troops this evening. The reason I want to sit on defense is so that the Brits can suicide more units against us and open a hole in their own defenses.

I rather doubt they are going to attack us.

LLSix posted:

The manpower calculus hasn't changed since the start of the game. Every indication is that both sides have gotten equal troop reinforcements.

I was referring to the troop concentrations we have... which on second look up north we might have enough to try for a break through but I am worried about the state of our men.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

LLSix posted:

We have a hole in their defenses. It's commonly referred to as Foret de Effyaders aka the largest forest on the map aka that giant green blob big enough to hide more than 4 brigades (an entire division) in.

The hole we've punched is so large that we can see one of their artillery parks. Their completely undefended artillery park.

The main thing sitting still for a whole day will accomplish is getting our brigades in the forest shot by their artillery since they've got a decent idea as to where we are.

I have to agree - this seems like our last chance for serious gains before both sides have dug in enough to make future advances impossible. They've got no reason to attack us, they've just got to keep us from Effayders after all.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Rrr... yeah, it's maddening. I want to bumrush them, but I'm not sure we could finish them off with our cheese hanging so far into the wind. If we could knock them out it would totally be worth trading the entire brigade for that. Then again, it would be a minimum of three turns even if we got one hit kills and they didn't move, and there's an entire occupied trench on that side of the forest.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 4, 2017

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

What ever you guys need me to do just let me know. The boys crave British blood!

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

hmm. do MGs get a 12" firing radius in a forest? that brigade's MGs could shoot at any rifle companies that fired on the charge from north of the bridge, so maybe half of them. of course, they would still be in trenches, so we wouldn't get amazing results, but it's still cover fire. i hope it'd make those 8 infantry chits a little more likely to trade their lives for some artillery

and is the damage one artillery piece can do over the rest of the scenario worth throwing away this brigade and all its future replacement chits? i guess it might be...

can we include a conditional that they don't charge if they see the guns limber up and move away?

edit: i wonder if that trench mortar can fire? also the spotting range for a non-firing TM should just be 8" right? so it shouldn't be spotted?

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 4, 2017

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

oystertoadfish posted:

hmm. do MGs get a 12" firing radius in a forest? that brigade's MGs could shoot at any rifle companies that fired on the charge from north of the bridge, so maybe half of them. of course, they would still be in trenches, so we wouldn't get amazing results, but it's still cover fire. i hope it'd make those 8 infantry chits a little more likely to trade their lives for some artillery

and is the damage one artillery piece can do over the rest of the scenario worth throwing away this brigade and all its future replacement chits? i guess it might be...

can we include a conditional that they don't charge if they see the guns limber up and move away?

edit: i wonder if that trench mortar can fire? also the spotting range for a non-firing TM should just be 8" right? so it shouldn't be spotted?

There are 8 arty there, Trin just leaves things off sometimes. I don't think they fired last round, so they may already be limbered.

The NW brigade is probably not spotted and can stay hidden if they don't move.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Ikasuhito posted:

What ever you guys need me to do just let me know. The boys crave British blood!

Well, my preference is for you to stay in place while we move brigades behind you/find out what's in front of you. That way, next update you are available to attack if they turn out weak in the center or counter if they get aggressive. But this is the internet, so if you want to follow Saros' idea, work off your own initiative or plan something with your division commander, I can't stop you and I'm not gonna try.

Added Space posted:

There are 8 arty there, Trin just leaves things off sometimes. I don't think they fired last round, so they may already be limbered.

The NW brigade is probably not spotted and can stay hidden if they don't move.

Units that fire can be seen from 24" away, even at night, so Kevz brigade will spot them when they fire and lose them when they don't. The ones he can see now are probably within normal spotting range. Kevz' unit is in cover and can only be seen from 8" unless it opens fire.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 4, 2017

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Alternate plan - move Fathis Munk to the SE of the Foret to cover the bridgehead, have Saros move behind the NW brigade, then have the two brigades hug the edge of the map for two turns, then hit the enemy guns and either hide in Frere Droit or scamper back to the foret.

The only thing that makes me hesitate is that I'm not sure how hard artillery can hit on direct fire. Historically arty was complete pants at hitting anything that got close, but I have no idea how the game models it.

Anyway, we need a decision within 12 hours to allow Americans time to write orders and/or write emergency orders.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

As per discussion in Roll20, the arty will wipe out a brigade and a half without too much trouble. But why is everyone in favour of an attack after I issue my orders?

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 4, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Unless we've wiped out a bde with artillery without noticing we have the same odds of advancing that we always had. They are reinforcing at the same rate. Every attack we've ever done so far has ended up with a roughly 1:1 casualty distribution. They are there, we just can't see them at the moment, which is why we need a line across the map to hold on to our territory and have eyes on what they're doing.

Any advance we try now will negate the protection from their arty the trenches are finally giving us and cost us enough that we won't be able to keep our gains, especially since we can't garrison the southern flank of our advance given the inevitable losses and the extension of the line advancing brings, leaving us in our traditional configuration of scattered brigade remnants stranded in untenable positions.

On the other hand if we sit they are likely to be forced to attack to get back to territorial parity and have some chance at a draw or minor victory. As of now we have the upper hand.

:siren: Orders, Saxon D :siren:

Ikasuhito
Hold your position.

Added Space
Secure and fortify the southern half of Chemin.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 4, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If I understand it correctly, the 51st brigade is meant to stay in its current trenches?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Artillery Orders

Southern Battery

Support fire.

Northern Battery

Hold 4 turns, if not actively firing in support then move Northern Gunline as such. :siren: Saros reminds me there should be a bridge by the time I move. Please use the bridge

If there is any time remaining, 2 turns firemission

If I could get engineer support to entrench across the river it'd be swell. Should be enough time for the SE trenches to be secured.

Edited to put me in range of the enemy gunline.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 4, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Added Space posted:

Rrr... yeah, it's maddening. I want to bumrush them, but I'm not sure we could finish them off with our cheese hanging so far into the wind. If we could knock them out it would totally be worth trading the entire brigade for that. Then again, it would be a minimum of three turns even if we got one hit kills and they didn't move, and there's an entire occupied trench on that side of the forest.

Yeah I dont see how it would work especially with taking fire from the BEF in the forests. I think our best bet is to dig in there are poo poo tight till we can MG surprise a Bde wandering along not knowing we are there.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hopefully they think they've done much more damage than they really did, and will try to sweep the area. We are unfortunately in no position to do anything offensively as long as we are opposed.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

ok, the fact that we can't see all the arty is proof they stopped firing isn't it - and moving arty right before the update is a pretty good idea... can't go chasing after them, we move at the same speed I think. I'm riding a roller coaster on this one, now I think we'd play into their hands by charging what we saw

those guys holed up at the nw corner of the forest could be a nasty surprise to reinforcements coming down that road they're next to, or they could just help by setting up a flanking trench line for tomorrow/1915

and when do they get replacement chits? that's one of the big values that brigade has to us. when they do, they'll be a stronger force and maybe that's when they're most useful

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

oystertoadfish posted:

ok, the fact that we can't see all the arty is proof they stopped firing isn't it - and moving arty right before the update is a pretty good idea... can't go chasing after them, we move at the same speed I think. I'm riding a roller coaster on this one, now I think we'd play into their hands by charging what we saw

those guys holed up at the nw corner of the forest could be a nasty surprise to reinforcements coming down that road they're next to, or they could just help by setting up a flanking trench line for tomorrow/1915

and when do they get replacement chits? that's one of the big values that brigade has to us. when they do, they'll be a stronger force and maybe that's when they're most useful

Agreeing with the value of the forces in position - if I can help suppress the artillery, seizing that north road might even allow us to deploy from there.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Move up as shown and take positions making sure the MG are TM are in trenches.

Use rifle fire.
No retreat.
Do not pursue.

Eng in steth:

Move up and dig a trench as shown staying over 13'' from the trenches over the river. Retreat to stethoscope if enemies are spotted within 12''

ALTERNATIVE ORDERS:

Ask the Bde commander in steth to lend 1-2 infantry chits to acompany the engineer, if they will do so march along the south road to La Dand checkign the wire and repairing it until contact along that line is restored.

Cav eng in steth:

Move and dig trenches as shown north-south to the south CC intersection.

North engineer:

Immediately move to remove the entente barbed wire then dig a trench as shown starting in the same place.

North cav engineer:

Finish the bridge then move as shown and begin digging gunpits for the artillery.

Jaguars don't forget the spotter plane, somewhere here is my suggestion to reveal their defenses and im pretty sure they have arty in the middle somewhere.

Saros fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 4, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I've amended orders so Kev becomes the world's most ungainly artillery spotter and added the plane orders, I'm sending it a turn early to account for any possible weather delay, we should have the info shortly before the end of the update.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Jaguars, can you confirm that you don't want me to move from my position.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

That is correct.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Jaguars, can you confirm that you don't want me to move from my position.

What's with the new avatar?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

He's actually just retarded.

If I had to guess, somebody in D&D got Mad On The Internet

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

LLSix posted:

What's with the new avatar?

I posted a picture of mayo chicken salad to insinuate that everyday American cuisine is not the greatest in the world.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
how dare you do such a think on something awful dot com ?

Also I will throw orders together soon. Sorry for not having been active much recently, didn't have much time.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Movement orders:

None.

Standing orders:

When attacking the enemy: Use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue the enemy
Break off automatically at: 2/3 casualties

Conditional orders:

At all times the brigade should only open fire on the enemy if they enter spotting range of any of my companies.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

If it's at all possible could a pair of infantry be told to follow my eng chit around so it can go repair the other phone line? Whoever's in charge of the bed in stethoscope I promise to return them after haha.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Jaguars! posted:

Fathis is to recover his troops and investigate the area of the Tailis Nord for our mysterious infiltrator. Return to the division area when you are done, otherwise it'll take forever for orders to get through.

Yes Sir.

1. Get your poo poo together you wimps.

2. Time to go for a walk. Follow the road until Chemin Creux then leave the road and head towards Taillis Nord. Cross the woods and climb the hill to see if anything is hiding up there. Proceed to the ferme chatte and check if the cowardly English are hidden there

3. If you have not found anything, get into marching formation and get onto the road, follow it until Stethoscope then head north and west to get back towards the Foret d'Effyadiers.

Conditional posted:

IF you encounter and destroy an enemy unit and no other is in sight
THEN cancel remaining patrol route, switch to marching formation and return to starting position.

Standing Orders
When sighting an enemy in attack stance, Turn and move directly towards enemy.
When attacking the enemy, Launch a bayonet charge
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, Pursue
Break off automatically at 3/4 casualties

Battle Formation

Attempt to maintain Battle Formation :

I'll be around on phone during the day tomorrow so I can amend stuff if needed.

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 5, 2017

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Saros posted:

If it's at all possible could a pair of infantry be told to follow my eng chit around so it can go repair the other phone line? Whoever's in charge of the bed in stethoscope I promise to return them after haha.

About that, my Internet crapped out, could you or someone else please write emergency orders to get in the new trench? Thanks.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Fathis Munk posted:

Yes Sir.

1. Get your poo poo together you wimps.

2. Time to go for a walk. Follow the road until Chemin Creux then leave the road and head towards Taillis Nord. Cross the woods and climb the hill to see if anything is hiding up there.

3. If you have not found anything, get into marching formation and make south until you hit the road, follow it until Stethoscope then head north and west to get back towards the Foret d'Effyadiers.

Mind swinging through the Farm as well? It's not that far from your route and there is a decent chance whatever enemy went to hide out in there.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Added Space posted:

About that, my Internet crapped out, could you or someone else please write emergency orders to get in the new trench? Thanks.

Added Space posted:

Draft Orders

Final Orders for 86th as Added space cant change his.

Proceed south in the standard battle formation and spread out into the positions shown. Switch to defend.

If this is possible designate an infantry company whose new orders are to follow and defend the Infantry engineer in Stethoscope now until ordered otherwise.

Defend
Use Rifles
Do not pursue
Fight to the last
MAXIMUM TRENCH

Saros fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 5, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Final reminder i'm going to be away with limited internet acces until monday from about now, someone needs to be ready to give orders to the new division if it arrives before i'm back as well as my bde.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Keep waiting.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Saros posted:

Final reminder i'm going to be away with limited internet acces until monday from about now, someone needs to be ready to give orders to the new division if it arrives before i'm back as well as my bde.

Not a problem, I'll make sure someone does it. Do you want to delegate your current commands as well?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Saros posted:

Mind swinging through the Farm as well? It's not that far from your route and there is a decent chance whatever enemy went to hide out in there.

How's this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I figure you may as well sweep right through and come up the south road.

• Locked thread