Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Delita, Agrias, and Gafgarion are all pretty close to being able to hit any weakness too. Gafgarion can, I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tactics characters have the advantage of being relatively new additions to the game, so they don't have the same problems as older characters that have extremely limited skill sets or a bunch of garbage unique soul breaks.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

i disagree with that a bit. ramza brings 5* support, 4* ninja to the table. Agrias has got white and spellblade 4.

Orlandeau's just got every physical combat thing you could possibly fit

The "problem" is that there's no offensive mage option for FFT yet, but this has never really been an issue, since the debut of FFT included Shout, which tipped the scales drastically toward physical meta (and it's still leaning in that direction, at least in Global) so there hasn't been much of a need for that offensive mage.

I would say that Delita and Gafgarion are somewhat underwhelming, but that's really only because they have limited SB options and are overshadowed in their own realm by two of the best Knight/Spellblade characters in the game.

It is true to the source though. Spellswords were pretty dominant in FFT, especially Orlandu.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Feel really good about how this event is ending. I managed to get like 5 OSBs and a poo poo load of BSBs and still have 150 mith left over.

Gonna keep grinding things out till this 1/2 stam goes away.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Man, they really need to not design multiplayer bosses who do "everybody goes to 1 hp" attacks, because there is way too much lag involved. That's twice in a row now that Kuja did Ultima directly into a Giganvolt for a full party wipe without a single person being able to respond inbetween. I don't even think an instant-cast medica would have made a difference, since people with fully red ATB bars didn't get an action off.

edit: Er okay seriously what the gently caress, is this supposed to be impossible without last stand or something? Did they break his AI? There's literally no chance to respond to his Ultima followed up by AoE attack, even with an instant-cast medica, and KO-resist accessories don't work on it either.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 4, 2017

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Tactics characters have the advantage of being relatively new additions to the game, so they don't have the same problems as older characters that have extremely limited skill sets or a bunch of garbage unique soul breaks.

I would really love it if they took a balancing pass at certain characters at some point. Crap like Dragoon 2* is a freaking tease. 1* White Magic is even worse. I get giving characters just a taste of a skill for thematic reasons, but c'mon. Even Shantotto, who as far as I'm aware is pure black mage, gets Monk 4*.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

If there's one thing I don't like about most gacha games it's revisiting and fixing old content usually isn't a priority because they're always on an uphill climb to power creep mountain.

The best f2p games on PC have used the huge cash inflow to genuinely improve the game, completely revamping the tech used, upping staff, adding tons of content, revisiting old content, etcetc.

Meanwhile we're two years in and ffrk still runs like hot garbage on android. At least they've improved the ui here and there in small places :unsmith:

Also the 200 gil or whatever per RW use and the horrendously bad daily relic draw is hilarious.

(granted, on a list of things to bitch about, these are pretty small potatoes, but hey, I gotta whine about something :haw:)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

HPanda posted:

I would really love it if they took a balancing pass at certain characters at some point. Crap like Dragoon 2* is a freaking tease. 1* White Magic is even worse. I get giving characters just a taste of a skill for thematic reasons, but c'mon. Even Shantotto, who as far as I'm aware is pure black mage, gets Monk 4*.
several characters have gotten that. Celes didn't use to have Knight, I think it was Luneth who got like 3 additional skillsets at once? And Cloud upgraded his Samurai 3 to Samurai 5 (which would be great if we got that Ice thing Japan got). Remember when Dark Knight and Cecil (Dark Knight) didn't have Darkness because Darkness didn't exist? Bad old characters aren't bad because they're old, it's because they keep getting ignored.

... not to imply Dark Knight and Cecil (Dark Knight) are good characters

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

HPanda posted:

I assume the Shantotto monk thing is because in Dissidia she uses monk abilities to create a skillchain to magic burst her offensive spells off of, FFXI style.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I assume the Shantotto monk thing is because in Dissidia she uses monk abilities to create a skillchain to magic burst her offensive spells off of, FFXI style.
it would be interesting if her Soul Breaks were monk-type, which I'm assuming isn't the case.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
At the same time, they're not really stopping with thematic and relatively pointless abilities though.

Off the top of my head, Lann from World of Final Fantasy is a physical character with Summon 5 because of the monster system in WoFF - but he has low MAG, so other then occasionally popping out Carbuncle or Kirin there's no point. Iris from FFXV also gets Monk 3 as she technically fights with her fists in FFXV, but she rarely ever attacked at all in my experience, at least not without the Moogle. She is a healer, and Monk 3* is the only physical skill set she has (White 5*, Dancer 4->5*, Monk 3*)

I'd personally love if a rebalancing run took a lot of the White 1* and 2*s got buffed to 3*. It opens up a lot of useful skills like Haste, Memento of Prayer, Faith, and other things that would be nice squishing into a Cid's Mission team. Black 3* would also give some people access to Status spells too, whenever they come up.

They did do a tiny bit of rebalancing around the Type-0 event, but mainly to give a ridiculous amount of people (20) Sharpshooter 5 access, so it's not so much rebalancing as just making some bad character a tad better, great characters even greater, and nothing to the mages in this list. (Edge, Bartz, Locke, Edgar, Shadow, Setzer, Barret, Yuffie, Rinoa, Laguna, Edea, Yuna, Rikku, Paine, Balthier, Ashe, Lightning, Sazh, Hope and Mustadio).

That's makes 10 people with natural Spellblade 5* vs. 38 with Sharpshooter 5*, if this impacts future honing decisions. (edit: 3rd most popular 5* after Black Magic and Combat, beating out White Magic, Knight and Darkness)

pichupal fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 4, 2017

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

pichupal posted:

At the same time, they're not really stopping with thematic and relatively pointless abilities though.
My favorite is how they introduced Fujin (black 5/ninja 5/sharpshooter 5/support 4/white magic 4) and Raijin (Combat 5/Monk 5/Support 3/Celerity 3) in the same event

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Nihilarian posted:

it would be interesting if her Soul Breaks were monk-type, which I'm assuming isn't the case.

No, but I swear her burst, Play Rough forms a giant magic fist amidst the whirlwind of destruction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHtxFmzEt1o

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
When are the new dailies likely to come out, do we have a rough idea?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Mithross posted:

When are the new dailies likely to come out, do we have a rough idea?

Calendar on KongBakPao says the 18th.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Kawalimus posted:

Calendar on KongBakPao says the 18th.

oh, I guess I could have found that myself. I just assumed they were farther away and it would be easier to ask...

edit: oh, the actual calendar. I forget that exists regularly and only look at the event list, which is not nearly as helpful.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Holy gently caress Kuja has easily been the toughest MP fight for me. His spam in weak phase is like no other.

Took a team with Vaan, OK, and my Fujin to have enough to debuff him down enough for people to survive. Plus I had to make a call to wrath up to two consecutive Asylum charges in a row to survive two big AOE attacks. Thankfully one of the guys had memento mori timer on so I could see how long we had left with ss2.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Virulence posted:

What's the best way to use TG Cid's OSB? Lifesiphon - Powerchain - OSB - Lifesiphon - OSB?

Someone (Tyro) with Wrath+Entrust and Ace Striker. Feed the beast. :getin:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Man, they really need to not design multiplayer bosses who do "everybody goes to 1 hp" attacks, because there is way too much lag involved. That's twice in a row now that Kuja did Ultima directly into a Giganvolt for a full party wipe without a single person being able to respond inbetween. I don't even think an instant-cast medica would have made a difference, since people with fully red ATB bars didn't get an action off.

edit: Er okay seriously what the gently caress, is this supposed to be impossible without last stand or something? Did they break his AI? There's literally no chance to respond to his Ultima followed up by AoE attack, even with an instant-cast medica, and KO-resist accessories don't work on it either.

If you have an instant medica SB you should be hosting for this fight. No lag that way. I hosted with Vanille's BSB, and was able to have her BSB go off instantly after Ultima

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

U-DO Burger posted:

If you have an instant medica SB you should be hosting for this fight. No lag that way. I hosted with Vanille's BSB, and was able to have her BSB go off instantly after Ultima

Yeah, that's eventually what I did. Wanted to save the stamina but it wasn't worth the frustration.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

HPanda posted:

I think I read somewhere that this is a joke based on her trust actions in FF11. She blows all her MP on the most powerful spells, and then resorts to punching. I've never played FF11 so that's just hearsay.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

victrix posted:

How many characters can hit every weakness in the game anyway? Brolando too strong.

Off the top of my head, on the physical side, you need access to:
  • Darkness 4+ (Dark damage, obviously)
  • Knight 5 (Gaia Cross for Earth, Saint Cross/Banishing Blade for Holy)
  • Spellblade 3+ (the basic spellblades are all available at 3*, but they're not good until 5*)

Not counting Tyro (who is the everything bagel), that is Orlandu and Orlandu alone.

Celes can hit Dark technically (she has Black 4*, which gives her access to Darkra and Drainga), but she's not going to do any real damage with it. The close-but-not-quites here are Steiner, Agrias, Dorgann, Angeal (who all miss Dark) and Gaffgarion (who misses Earth - at least, until the 5* earth-elemental spellblade comes out in 6 or 7 months).

There might be esoteric spreads that can access everything - Darkness is mandatory, as is Knight 4+, they're the only sources of physical Dark/Holy damage outside of SBs. However, Poison and Wind can be accessed through Thief 5, Dragoon 3+ has Wind/Fire/Ice/Lightning, Monk 5 has Fire/Earth. I don't think any non-Tyro character has all of those, however, or even most of them. Gilgamesh is the best off of the non-spellbladers, as all he's missing is Poison and Dark.

Magically, all you need to hit every element is BLK4/SUM5, or BLK6/SUM4. There's a bunch of characters that have that. The hardest part there is that the only magical sources of Wind (SBs aside) are Tiamat and Meltdown.

EDIT: This all goes out the window in JP, mind you, which has a dark-elemental Bladeblitz variant for anyone with Combat 4. Which, incidentally, is every Knight 5 not named Celes, meaning every Knight/Spellblade has access to all the elements there.

We are never getting the dark-elemental Bladeblitz variant, as it was a reward for the very first collab event, ever. And you know how "global and JP are two different games".

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 4, 2017

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Just had a pretty funny failure in multiplayer. I brought along a Beatrix BSB and Alphinaud's Deployment Tactics, and we had two Cid Raines BSB's. We did way too much damage way too quickly and triggered all of his guaranteed attacks before any healing could be done.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

HPanda posted:

Just had a pretty funny failure in multiplayer. I brought along a Beatrix BSB and Alphinaud's Deployment Tactics, and we had two Cid Raines BSB's. We did way too much damage way too quickly and triggered all of his guaranteed attacks before any healing could be done.

We did that earlier with a group of goons. Beat the d200 easily. Decided to go back and do the 160 and we pushed him straight into his next phase after the ultima attack and couldn't heal fast enough. Whoops.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Can Kuja's scripted Ultima be avoided with magic blink? Maybe it would be worth giving Sarah a big ol' omelet...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nope, but apparently it gets affected by stoneskin shields. Instead of setting the character's HP to 1, it does damage equal to (current HP - 1), and that damage gets applied to the shield first.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Personally, my opinion is that XII has the best cast. Everyone bar Balthirr is arguably high-tier. You could argue against Ashe or Vayne, but they're still above average.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Can Kuja's scripted Ultima be avoided with magic blink? Maybe it would be worth giving Sarah a big ol' omelet...

Nothing blocks Ultima. However, Stoneskin will cut down on the incoming damage.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
My strategy for beating the 160 was bringing two magic blinks. They don't block ultima, but they're super useful for getting some breathing time after it. That was the determine factor in our win. Got some "Nice" and "Incredible" stamps when my healing blink went off right after ultima, then Seiken Shock went off right after Ultimate Flare Star was negated. We got to completely ride out his weak phase in magic blink.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Wait, dailies are going to change? So I'll want to milk the first clear rewards feom these ASAP?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Wait, dailies are going to change? So I'll want to milk the first clear rewards feom these ASAP?

Yes.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
So pretty sure that the 200 MP boss is easier than the 160 boss this time around. The lower level one goes through his phases too quickly. The groups I was with kept breaking his health down too fast, causing him to gigavolt (wiping blink status) then unavoidable party reduction to 1 health, then group magic attack. Didn't manage to win it until I could time a magic blink between gigavolt and his next magic attack, which tended to be a surprisingly small window.

The 200 boss is hardier, so the timing is much, much easier.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Personally, my opinion is that XII has the best cast. Everyone bar Balthirr is arguably high-tier. You could argue against Ashe or Vayne, but they're still above average.

Fran's stats (or rather, her utter lack of RES) hurts her a little, but her SBs tend to make up for that.

You know, if you ever pull her SBs.

There's also very little reason for Gabranth to exist when Basch is right there.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I don't intend to pull any further on the Orbfest banners, so how's everyone looking relic wise at this point?

This is mine:

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Armitage posted:

I don't intend to pull any further on the Orbfest banners, so how's everyone looking relic wise at this point?

This is mine:

Nice chart. How many of those did you get from Anniversary pulls?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Alright got back to 50 for phase 5 after blowing it on the first 9 banner and got Cid's Shout, plus Garnet's Burst and Zidane's Overstrike. :toot:

Also is there some place to find future events and what characters they give? Don't want to use a hero's soul if I can wait a while. I know there's the Rubicante event and I imagine that would give Edge and Golbez, but I got a SB for Bartz, TG Cid, Sephiroth, and Braska.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

iamsosmrt posted:

Nice chart. How many of those did you get from Anniversary pulls?

From the healer lucky draw on I was 17/77. I got Greg/Terra/Ashe's OSBs along with BSBs for Sabin, Vayne, Alphinaud, Y'Shtola, Relm, and Golbez.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Also is there some place to find future events and what characters they give? Don't want to use a hero's soul if I can wait a while. I know there's the Rubicante event and I imagine that would give Edge and Golbez, but I got a SB for Bartz, TG Cid, Sephiroth, and Braska.

There's options such as Reddit but I still tend to check this for events.
It has a list of recruitables by the event names.

Though Rubicante is going to be a LONG way off, like 5-6 months. If you're wanting them as characters anytime soon you'll probably be better served just unlocking them as soon as you have spare Hero's Souls for them. (Also, Golbez isn't back on that one anyway.)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hogama posted:

There's options such as Reddit but I still tend to check this for events.
It has a list of recruitables by the event names.

Though Rubicante is going to be a LONG way off, like 5-6 months. If you're wanting them as characters anytime soon you'll probably be better served just unlocking them as soon as you have spare Hero's Souls for them. (Also, Golbez isn't back on that one anyway.)

Thank you for this got 3 Hero's Souls to spend, weird about Golbez though would've figured he would be part of it since the event is focused around an archfiend.

Also "We're not likely getting this event" makes me sad.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

I blew pretty much my entire egg supply on getting the characters I drew BSBs and OSBs for up to 99, except for Vayne because he lacks an MCIII

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
How's Amarant's burst from banner 2 when paired with Eiko's burst? I did a yolo pull trying for Beatrix Burst and wound up pulling the others instead. At this rate my teams are going to wind up mostly from ff9!

• Locked thread