Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

swickles posted:

Honestly, and I am going to be real vulnerable with you here, the course has been really good so far. It uses stories and parables of the bible to talk about the importance of husband and wife and loyalty and all that jazz. My wife grew up in a rather progressive parish, that never saw things in terms of black and white and used religion to celebrate love for each other and as a way to help out those less fortunate than we are. Meanwhile, when my mother was taking care of an infant me and a paraplegic brain damaged husband from an accident, basically told her to gently caress off until she could "donate" appropriately and that skipping church to care for either of us was a mortal sin, she had zero help from the church. My experience with the church has been hypocrisy and downright awfulness so I said gently caress em. When I met my fiancee and learned about her church, it was a little before the current Pope was elected. Between a progressive Pope, and visiting her church, which emphasized love and kindness, I was on board with the whole Catholic thing. I already volunteer my time with a Catholic charity (by chance really) to give medical care to the underserved. I know I will never be a "born again" or a "true believer" but I can get behind the messages of tolerance, love, and service. And then they just pulled the loving rug out from underneath me. Like I said before, I am fine with you saying that contraception is bad. I follow the argument and it is valid (from a philosophical definition of valid which is that the conclusion is derived from the premises). That said, you have won over your audience. The only thing you have to gain by lying about the facts is to hopefully mislead others into your philosophy and that is where I draw a line. Its ironic that this class is set in the environment of "fake news" because this is a perfect example. No, the pill doesn't cause an abortion. the guy literally flat out lied about the "facts" he was claiming. I have gone on long enough, but my main point is this: You were bad to me and my family in the past. Because of my love for my future wife, I have given you a second chance. I am not asking you to meet me halfway, I am asking you do be honest and not deceptive, that is all. Is that really that difficult do?

For the church? Basically yeah

me and my wife were going to take some pre-cana classes, partially because they do seem good for some things you mention and partially to appease the more religious members of our family (neither of us believe anymore), but we were literally denied at all fronts because we had the audacity to want to be married outdoors.

instead of being about something important and meaningful, what's really important is the building where we say the words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
Sounds like you guys need to go to a Methodist church, those dudes are chill and accepting as hell

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Febreeze posted:

For the church? Basically yeah

me and my wife were going to take some pre-cana classes, partially because they do seem good for some things you mention and partially to appease the more religious members of our family (neither of us believe anymore), but we were literally denied at all fronts because we had the audacity to want to be married outdoors.

instead of being about something important and meaningful, what's really important is the building where we say the words.

Yeah, I was super shocked about that. Like, we never planned to get married outdoors, but when that little tidbit came in I was like "what..........." Like, part of the requirement of a Catholic marriage is that it is made public. How much more public can you make it than being outside?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Shoot your local NCAA championship game ref today Jesus Christ

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

swickles posted:

Yeah, I was super shocked about that. Like, we never planned to get married outdoors, but when that little tidbit came in I was like "what..........." Like, part of the requirement of a Catholic marriage is that it is made public. How much more public can you make it than being outside?

The church is the world, duh.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

swickles posted:

I had a priest tell me that our love was literally invalid because we didn't want to get married in a church. I wish I had told him to go gently caress himself but at the time I was just too caught off guard and stared at him half flabbergasted and half disgusted and walked out.

It took so much time to find a priest willing to officiate the wedding because of these stupid draconian rules that don't actually make much sense but are "tradition" so "unquestioned". (Again, we would have been happy with a friend who had an officiate license but family members to appease). We eventually found a guy who used to be a catholic priest but left it to get married. He was still very spiritual but also not a dumbass and seemed to understand what was actually important. It was one of those cases where you know you would disagree with a lot of that person's beliefs, but it would be a calm and reasonable debate of respect and not a shouting match.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I like the new pope who actually seems to get the concept of Christianity, but I've never regretted ditching Catholicism a couple of decades ago.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Abugadu posted:

I like the new pope who actually seems to get the concept of Christianity, but I've never regretted ditching Catholicism a couple of decades ago.

Hm. What are your thoughts on this game? Refs ruining it I've got s lot of money on UNC!!

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I hate this pollock

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

BABY BAAAAYYBEEEEHHHHHH

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I'm religious, but this game is testing it.

Oh hey, go UNC.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Welp, finally my bracket busts

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Won the cord tournament challenge :smug: eat poo poo phobeste

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Febreeze posted:

(Again, we would have been happy with a friend who had an officiate license but family members to appease).

We had this same issue at our wedding, but we still went with a Judge that my father in law new because gently caress those other people, they can stay home or shut the gently caress up because it's not their wedding.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
Lol if you're in any kind of committed relationship, just lol

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

186 posted:

We had this same issue at our wedding, but we still went with a Judge that my father in law new because gently caress those other people, they can stay home or shut the gently caress up because it's not their wedding.

One of those people was my mother-in-law, who is basically the definition of the guilty catholic who believes probably because she feels she is supposed to and has never known anything different. She also planned 80% of the wedding, so you have to make some concessions.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
We're bankrolling our wedding by ourselves so no one else gets a say

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Blitz7x posted:

:hfive:

God wasn't mentioned once at our ceremony because we weren't going to let relatives shoehorn their bullshit into a ceremony we paid for.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Febreeze posted:

One of those people was my mother-in-law, who is basically the definition of the guilty catholic who believes probably because she feels she is supposed to and has never known anything different. She also planned 80% of the wedding, so you have to make some concessions.

Take her money (and daughter) and run.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Abugadu posted:

Same.

Blitz7x posted:

That's a good idea. I only have a little bit of wedding advice for anyone who's in the planning process.

1: It's your (and your S/O's) day. Do what you want. You'll only get one of these (theoretically), so gently caress what anyone else thinks. We were introduced at our reception to the Imperial March.

2: Best advice I got on my wedding day is that it's 15 minutes of terror followed by 6 hours of partying with your friends and family. :unsmith:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Also write your own vows. It ain't that hard.

I did mine in literally 10 minutes one night before bed and they made everyone cry.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

a patagonian cavy posted:

I'll have been married 7 years this October, and I don't regret a day of it. Now will someone please have sex with me, it's been so very very long.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Got married outside at a state park, it was very cheap to reserve. Married each other, no officient. My friend who is a "priest" with the universal life church signed the papers, but he didn't marry us, we married eachother. We also had everyone say vows, basically all my close family members and friends promised to honor us and each other and support our marriage and be a family, it was fun.

Get married on your own terms. It's worth it.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Love good, church bad.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

"You will never be welcome in church if you belief science." -dick dawkins

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Spoeank posted:

I did mine in literally 10 minutes one night before bed and they made everyone cry.
Post em bitch

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Metapod posted:

Won the cord tournament challenge :smug: eat poo poo phobeste

I was shocked that my xort state Bracket didn't win.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

Spoeank posted:

:hfive:

God wasn't mentioned once at our ceremony because we weren't going to let relatives shoehorn their bullshit into a ceremony we paid for.

One of my jobs was writing our ceremony. In: Carl Sagan, Dr Seuss, the Voyager missions, a short treatise on entropy. Wife walked down the aisle to an Explosions in the Sky song.

A+ would get nerdmarried again.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Explosions in the Sky own.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Have a chinese wedding instead.

Rent a restaurant, have a 5 minute walk in, then feed everyone a 15 course meal while occasionally walking around to every table to gladhand.

Then sing karaoke for 6 hours.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Is it still kosher to bring an envelope of cash money to a wedding?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
gently caress the tar heels

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Spoeank posted:

Yeah, this. I memorized mine and "read" them off of a fortune cookie slip as a gag.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

a patagonian cavy posted:

I just got out of a 6 year relationship and am single for basically the first time in my life. About to turn 29 and all of my close friends either just got married, are getting married within the next year, or are proposing in the near future. Feel like I hosed up my timeline, since I'm having fun being single but should probably actually be looking for something serious in the next couple years so I'm not super old by the time I have kids... Also doesn't help that I plan to go into consulting for a couple years after graduating so trying to start a serious relationship when I'm gone M-Th every week is probably not ideal?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Date casually and enjoy life using online dating apps

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Also if your family members throw a poo poo fit about your venue not being fancy enough: I

I mean they don't make a whole lotta sense without knowing us and our story but sure :shrug:

<I had some improvised intro i don't remember>

Vows are a promise, and I promise to put you first, every day
To prove my love, every day
And to give you my all, every day
To tell you how beautiful you are, inside and out, every day.
To make your life as perfect as possible, every day
And to love you, every day

I promise:
To sit in the street... together
To say I love you way too early... together
To act like that never happened... together.
To move to a new city... together
To cry... together
To laugh... together
To live our lives... together
To grow old... together

Today, I stand before you ready to take the next step with you.

We have endured poorer, and came out richer... together.

We have endured sickness, and for that I treasure our health... every day.

I love you with all my heart, and when we are together, it makes every day worthwhile. Today, I take you as my own, and I count myself blessed you take me as yours.

From this day forth, I promise to share my life, and more importantly, my wine, with you.

Repetition as a poetic device bitch

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Divorce your wife and marry me, Spoeank :allears:

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
We got married and had the reception at the same venue. The bar hosed up and was serving drinks pre-ceremony, which turned out to be a pro move. Everyone loved having a beer/glass of wine to enjoy during the short ceremony. My wife did a hell of a job planning the wedding and it was a fun day. The only regret was cheaping out on a photographer -- you can't go back and do that over and there just weren't many great pictures. What was cool was the photo booth we hired made copies of everyone's pictures and had them write something along side the picture in a book they gave us at the end of the night. Total surprise, but an awesome thing to have.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

If you're married to the right person, having a spouse loving owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
We did a bog standard Catholic shindig, but my buddy had a pretty awesome wedding. Held it at a pretty little ranch out in Arizona, and since his wife had just finished her dissertation in classical studies, the whole thing had a Greek theme, instead of religious/Christian stuff they just did romantic readings from the Odyssey and whatnot. Only downside was that I kept looking over my shoulder to make sure no long-lost ex-husband of hers showed up, but minor detail.

• Locked thread