Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Imagine my surprise when I click the sticks and accidentally initiate it. Imagine my further surprise when I find out it literally blows your pants off for both 2B and 9S :psyduck:

They don't call it la petite mort for nothing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
I've seen self-destruct used to negate fall damage+stun. Also you can do cool jumps (if it hasn't been patched yet).

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

grancheater posted:

I've seen self-destruct used to negate fall damage+stun. Also you can do cool jumps (if it hasn't been patched yet).

I was going to ask how self destruct would negate fall damage but of course it cancels your vertical movement

I look forward to the speed runs

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I look forward to the speed runs
the current [A] ones use a faster OOB route for this one anyway. Seems like the quest staging is rigid enough to make most fancy glitches useless (for now at least).

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

So I have thoughts which are probably neither correct nor coherent but thought I'd share them here because what the hell. Whole game spoilers, naturally!

I think the game presents humanity as having two components. The first is hammered in for the entirety of the game: connection to others. I wasn't satisfied with this being the only answer, though, because pretty much everyone has attained this from the beginning. Plus, lots of other species have familial or pack bonds as well, which game game even acknowledges in the sidequest with the machine that joins herd of boars. If that was the only answer, the game doesn't really have much of a thematic arc.

Which is why I think there's a second half: the ability to defy your instincts/programming. Looking back, I don't thing anyone really achieves this until endings D&E, with the exception of Pascal. Until ending D, the machines are still working towards destroying humans. They killed their creators and have been imitating humans for centuries, so there is no reason to make wiping the last echos of humanity off the surface of the moon except their programming. Only in ending D are they finally able to break free and choose their own path permanently. In ending E the pods choose to ignore their directives and rebuild the androids they've grown attached to.

Notably, the androids themselves have not done this by the end of the game. 9S, in his trauma, goes back to his original programming: destroy the machines, destroy the traitor A2. A2 still destroys the machines in ending C, and can't even kill 9S because 2B directed her not to. 2B... well, 2B didn't really have a chance. I would be curious to see, if 9S had shared his discoveries at the beginning of route C, whether she would have chosen to kill him again. The hope in ending E is that now all of them have that chance again, and they have each other.

Maybe that's why Pascal had to die in the end. He defied his programming, and defied the rest of the machines, but in the end he was alone.

COMPLETELY UNRELATED, but I really loved how perspective started switching during the Ko-Shi/Ro-Shi fight, even after 9S and A2 were in the same arena. In any other game I think I would have found it frustrating or annoying, but I really liked how it was done there. It was when I realized C/D was doing the same thing as A/B, telling a story from two perspectives, but simultaneously rather than sequentially.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

endolithic posted:

COMPLETELY UNRELATED, but I really loved how perspective started switching during the Ko-Shi/Ro-Shi fight, even after 9S and A2 were in the same arena. In any other game I think I would have found it frustrating or annoying, but I really liked how it was done there. It was when I realized C/D was doing the same thing as A/B, telling a story from two perspectives, but simultaneously rather than sequentially.

I found it a little annoying because 9S is op - I crushed the flier dude before I'd even gone halfway through the elevator guy, but the game kept switching every fifteen seconds. This lasted five minutes while I slowly depleted elevator guy's health bar and the other fight's health bar had long since disappeared.

I also think a lot of discussion about memories and identity and whatever are a little misguided. The story is mostly about the hot babe who died too soon and the guy who's insane over her, and the game is fundamentally nice because they get together in the end. What 2B did is totally forgivable, there's not much ambiguity there and 9S already didn't care before the story even began.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

grancheater posted:

You can also cancel your combos with it for sick tech

No Wave posted:

The story is mostly about the hot babe who died too soon and the guy who's insane over her, and the game is fundamentally nice because they get together in the end. What 2B did is totally forgivable, there's not much ambiguity there and 9S already didn't care before the story even began.

That's super boring though. Being alive at the same time does not equal getting together either

Nina fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 4, 2017

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but Yahtzee's review is up...and he's wrong on most fronts,besides the combat. For instance,a lot of the sidequests,while simple,were interesting.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

RanKizama posted:

Try the corner by the missile. That's where I got it.

I got it in almost the opposite side of that area, so I think it just shows up anywhere in the ocean.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Got this delivered on a Gamefly rental today, really loving it so far. Tried hard mode out because I didn't really like using lock-on anyway, died a whole bunch, then decided to just play normal but unbind lock-on to have a second evade button.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Finished the game.

Man.

That's a good game, but it's emotionally draining as hell.

Don't think I'll be getting 100% anything, I've only got two sidequests left but I genuinely don't feel I need to complete them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Even after finishing this game, I'm still thinking about it. If there weren't half a dozen other games vying for my attention I would seriously be contemplating starting the game again from scratch.

At the very least I'm still listening to the soundtrack

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

SatansBestBuddy posted:

That's a good game, but it's emotionally draining as hell.

Good to hear that. Early enough in right now that I can see things starting to go in interesting directions but not far in enough to know how well it executes the stuff it's setting up.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just so you know Naughty Children is for beating him in car form. You should already have it. I think 45 is for seeing all the endings. There's no achievement for doing the second fight at all (outside getting ending Y).

Yeah, like 5 minutes after I posted I had a thought and went back and fought car Emil as 9S with 2B sidekick and got the trophy where the first time I finished that fight it was with solo 9S and it didn't pop. :v:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is it possible to fight the secret boss as 2B if you go get the mask as 9S, die, save and then chapter select so you still have the mask?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Heath posted:

Is it possible to fight the secret boss as 2B if you go get the mask as 9S, die, save and then chapter select so you still have the mask?

No the process resets

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Zerilan posted:

Good to hear that. Early enough in right now that I can see things starting to go in interesting directions but not far in enough to know how well it executes the stuff it's setting up.

It depends on how invested you get, I guess. Sometimes it hits and sometimes it misses, just like any game, it all depends on how much you actually care to begin with.

Do try to do any as many sidequests as possible after every major story development, though. I had at least a couple of situations where I progressed the main quest without meaning to and auto-failed a handful of sidequests that, when going back to do them, I realized I really should have done them when they were first available, even if they were kind of a pain at the time. Just check your map for red dots/talk to people a bunch, I only missed two myself doing that, it's the story progression that got me not the actual finding them part.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 4, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I could chat for so long about the sidequests, while my single post about the main storyline was really all I needed. This game really nails it with how well the sidequests are handled, you're doing yourself (and others) a disservice by not playing them (or saying they're dull, Yahtzee, you shmuck.)

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Apr 4, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The gameplay content of the sidequests ranges from generic boredom to half decent and rarely if ever better than that, but the stories are almost always real interesting and that's the point of doing them

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yahtzee never has anything good to say and has long since Flanderized himself into British-guy-who-hates-everything.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Yahtzee never has anything good to say and has long since Flanderized himself into British-guy-who-hates-everything.

He's also kinda not good at reviewing cause he never seems to finish most games.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

VolticSurge posted:

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but Yahtzee's review is up...and he's wrong on most fronts,besides the combat. For instance,a lot of the sidequests,while simple,were interesting.

Zero Punctuation aren't reviews, he's said they're intentionally negative so he can point fun at games and be nitpicky, even for games he really enjoys.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The delivery of his content is unlistenable to me so I can't speak as to the quality of it. When your gimmick is "awful", maybe get a new gimmick.

I know the irony of this post, dw

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

VolticSurge posted:

I bet he praised bioshock infinite

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dongicus posted:

I bet he praised bioshock infinite

I can't think of a single game Yahtzee liked. Maybe Dark Souls.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

The Beta Bar.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That just makes him sound like a redpiller.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
All of Yahtzee's bigger business ventures fell through as far as I know so he's pretty much shackled to his Angry Comedy Videogamesman job. It might explain why he's rarely in the mood to engage much with anything he plays.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Dongicus posted:

The Beta Bar.

He was part owner of the Mana Bar which is already closed. It lasted two years and they sold it after the first year. It's a typical business venture by people with no experience

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
His style and presentation is very much a (grating) stage persona thing, but even if he predictably slams games i like he usually makes valid points - like the obvious "twist" and why it being obvious doesn't matter, and the obvious stretching the game does with structurally tedious filler quests and repeated playthrough/ location revisits. He probably played on normal and was insanely bored by mashing A through every combat encounter 2 hours in, but the game totally lets you do that and i'm sure a ton of people/reviewers end up in the same boat with the same experience. I didn't mind most of that stuff because the "tedium" in this game was still more enjoyable to me than most other games, and he obviously phrased it abrasively for comedic(??) effect, but he's not wrong, and people in this thread have basically brought up all the points he mentioned. There's even a few rougher edges i was surprised he didn't harp on (like the save system or the upgrade grind).

Ultimately him saying it might be worth it for the weirdness alone even though he didn't like it is probably the highest praise you'll get out of him. Who cares if he's a jerk or whatever in real life, his "review" is really nothing to get over-defensive or personal about.

Now if you want a review to laugh at there's always http://business.financialpost.com/fp-tech-desk/post-arcade/nier-automata-review-creative-daring-ambitious-oh-and-also-a-big-fat-mess who stopped playing after [A]

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 4, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The game isn't perfect, of course, and I sure as poo poo don't play Taro Yoko games for the stunning gameplay. Platinum helped, but it's still got some rough edges. Still, the draw of the game is more for the setting, narrative, and experience rather than the achievement.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Where's this tricolor cable I need for the game making robot? I've killed 20+ innocent clowns with nothing to show for it other than the opportunity to type "I've killed 20+ innocent clowns."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rangpur posted:

Where's this tricolor cable I need for the game making robot? I've killed 20+ innocent clowns with nothing to show for it other than the opportunity to type "I've killed 20+ innocent clowns."

I'm pretty sure it's held by one of the taller 'bots in the marked zone. Just explode everything in the red area on your minimap and it'll drop.

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015
There's a single machine that is already agro to you and he'll drop the cable. All of the Gamedev quests add new enemies to the map that drop the cable you need.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yahtzee has and will reccomend games; he recommended Zelda and Horizon: Zero Dawn, as recent examples.

Yahtzee's success was a really landmark event as I recall, I think you could easily point to him as one of the first people to get their start on Youtube. He likes Nier and he's almost more praising of it than he is most games he reviews, but his final critique is that it is pretentious and that its points and themes don't seem to connect to anything...which is pretty true, I'd say. I like that it doesn't really have an overall "point" and that the game sort of ends after awhile, allowing you to soak in the experience at your own pace, and even go back through and explore areas and events out of sequence just to experience should you want to think further on them. The fact that the game has a number of characters named after philosophers, it seems to encurage a degree of player navel-gazing.

It's not an unfair criticism, and in the end Yahtzee says that the game is weird and unique and that alone warrants support.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

He called Nier's music bad

He stinks a whole heck of a lot

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Capntastic posted:

Yeah, that opinion is not of a sound human.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The desert theme is incredibly overwrought and awful, but the rest is pretty good. It's not a soundtrack I would listen to outside of playing the game.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Capntastic posted:

It's the first video game OST I've ever been compelled to spend my hard earned cash to own. I loved the music in this game and I'm listening to it RIGHT NOW!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

I'm pretty sure it's held by one of the taller 'bots in the marked zone. Just explode everything in the red area on your minimap and it'll drop.
That's what I did, though. Only thing left was the gold rabbit and it refused to aggro no matter how often I whaled on it.