Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You get a red flag when any rebels get to 80% progress, so it seems difficult to be totally blindsided by them unless you're really not paying attention...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Sephyr posted:

Quick question; how low do you guys usually slide the army maintenance back during peacetime? I tend to avoid doing it (does it harm your Army Tradition?) sicne it has made some random rebellions pop up on my poorly-fed stacks and wipe them out in the past.

I've been watching some videos of playthroughs and wow, do I play conservatively. Seems the right way to play is to take serial loans, fill your roster with mercs from day 1 and just steamroll crap, swallowing countries whole despite having claim to only a single province! I tend to freak out if my income is ever negative and never, EVER take loans.

Most rebellions you will see coming. Others are by event, and you can increase maintenance before triggering the event.

Regarding loans and mercs, that's Florrynomics, named after the streamer who popularized it.

DDRJake, another famous streamer who regularly does seemingly impossible things, has a houserule to never take loans (or ally France).

The great thing about Paradix games is that there is no right way to play. Just set your own goals, and achieve them however you want.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
With the new CB in China, forming Qing might be much more interesting. I've done it once already but lost interest once I took over a good chunk of China.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sephyr posted:

Quick question; how low do you guys usually slide the army maintenance back during peacetime? I tend to avoid doing it (does it harm your Army Tradition?) sicne it has made some random rebellions pop up on my poorly-fed stacks and wipe them out in the past.

I've been watching some videos of playthroughs and wow, do I play conservatively. Seems the right way to play is to take serial loans, fill your roster with mercs from day 1 and just steamroll crap, swallowing countries whole despite having claim to only a single province! I tend to freak out if my income is ever negative and never, EVER take loans.
I almost never lower my army maintenance to the minimum, but it depends on the situation - if my enemies are many and they are nearby, I leave my maintenance up to deter them from getting too frisky with me. When you lower maintenance you decrease the Unrest reduction bonus that that army provides. Thus a revolt may trigger sooner because the army is not there helping lower the unrest level in a province.

To be clear - lowering your maintenance will not trigger revolts, but it does mean that, as stated, it increases the chances of a revolt firing. Revolts fire in the provinces that have unrest. When you have provinces with unrest you will see an icon at the top right-hand side of your screen with a yellow background and I think a pitchfort or an exclamation point? When a revolt is up to 80% progress towards firing off (actual rebels popping up) you get a red notification like OperaMouse said. If you see that notification you want to raise your maintenance because the revolt could fire in the next few months.

Revolts can also happen by event. If you get an event you have two months to click on it - if an event is indicating rebels you can raise your maintenance and move your armies around to account for this.

I play pretty conservatively and rarely take loans. If they do not suit your playstyle then dont feel obligated to put yourself in a situation where you feel the need to take them. I have tried to live more dangerously, letting my income go negative for a few months or spending big to accomplish something and have taken 1 and even 2 loans before, but never any more than that I dont think. That playstyle is not necessary unless you are going for one of the super hard achievements or are playing multiplayer.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I leave my maintenance at 0 most of the time unless I have reason to expect I'll be fighting in the next three months. I'd rather have rebellions fire sooner rather than later most of the time, crushing rebellions is almost always really easy and means you don't need to worry about another of that type for like a decade. That's a decade I can use to commit all my forces to a real war. Once your army gets big enough, just leaving maintenance down to nothing for a few years can make you a boatload of money even over having it at half.

Loans: you don't want too many but as long as you're not paying more than a few bucks a month in interest, no big deal. It's obviously not necessary to take them but it can be a huge help in some circumstances to just magic up a thousand bucks, summon a merc army out of nowhere, clean house, and then worry about the economic consequences once you won. The game is about painting the map, not balancing your checkbook.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Take a million loans, beat any country in a super war, debase up to 20 or 30 corruption then spend 70 years paying down your financial mismanagement.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Chump Farts posted:

Take a million loans, beat any country in a super war, debase up to 20 or 30 corruption then spend 70 years paying down your financial mismanagement.

do this as the Timurids and have your whole country fall apart from having no horde unity

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm weird that if I get an event that spawns rebels I click away the notification and only then raise maintenance and go after them. Unless my army were to be standing in the affected province and would be instantly stack wiped of course.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

skasion posted:

Loans: you don't want too many but as long as you're not paying more than a few bucks a month in interest, no big deal. It's obviously not necessary to take them but it can be a huge help in some circumstances to just magic up a thousand bucks, summon a merc army out of nowhere, clean house, and then worry about the economic consequences once you won. The game is about painting the map, not balancing your checkbook.

Optimally speaking, you do want loans. Lots of loans. Maybe even too many loans. Then you want to use all that money to expand like crazy so it's easy to pay back those loans, usually by taking newer, much bigger ones. The central powergaming strat is basically to use and abuse the hell out of loans. It's totally cool to not play that way, though, and the game was basically balanced around only rare loan usage (which is why they're so abusable).

It's easy to see how powerful they are when you get into a situation where you're cornered and start recruiting shitloads of mercs. I thought I was completely hosed in multiple occasions in my recent Italy game, but eight loans and a shitload of mercs later, I was beating back alliances with many times the forcelimits and manpower as me and actually taking territory (gently caress you, France and Mega-Aragon). It's possible to basically play an entire campaign like that, but it feels dirty so I just save that for emergency situations.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 4, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alright so as Spain I managed to vassalize three of the six electors, survive the follow-up coalition war, and eventually get elected Emperor. This got me The Emperor's New Clothes and Spain is the Emperor :toot:

Now I want to enjoy some HRE Shenanigans (tm). Gorz is in the empire, which is across a seazone from Ancona, which I own. Based on what I have read in this thread, I want to add Ancona and as many provinces as I need to pass a reform, then pass it, then add more provinces until I can pass the next reform, and so on? Do I want to rush up to Revoke the Privilegia, or do I need to pause somewhere to war on nations in the HRE with the wrong religion or anything else? Do I want to add as many new states as possible (e.g. release Ancona as a Prince once I add it to the HRE)?

Also, how will I want to handle the three electors that I currently have vassalized? Will I want to drop them as vassals once I have all of my lands in the HRE, or only after I have revoked the Privilegia?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
As an American student the idea of taking out lots of loans for a promise for a stronger start is a bit on the nose

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

but eight loans and a shitload of mercs later

*that one facebook meme where i ask you how many loans you are on, you say eight or so my dude, and then i say that you are like a little baby as i get the three mountains*

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
BetterThanNapoleon1215loans12kinterestpayments.png

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Just a friendly post to mention I never take loans, never lower maintenance (except in dicey starts for a decade or two).

Fiscal responsibility.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm constantly in a debt spiral, always on the verge of bankruptcy, both in game and IRL.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
My first idea pick is always economic because i cannot stand the idea of having anything other than 0 inflation.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

How many of ya'll never minted in EU3?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Tsyni posted:

Just a friendly post to mention I never take loans, never lower maintenance (except in dicey starts for a decade or two).

Fiscal responsibility.

Never lowering maint is the opposite of fiscal responsibility, you're throwing away thousands of ducats over the course of a game

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Looks like I'll get One Faith this run .... if lovely loving New Spain converts the last two provinces. They've not converted them in the 20 years they've owned them and I have no loving clue why they don't do it.
Guess I'll have to release them, steal those 2 provinces and convert them myself?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Wafflecopper posted:

Never lowering maint is the opposite of fiscal responsibility, you're throwing away thousands of ducats over the course of a game

Ok ok, good point. I don't like to give rebels a chance to give me more rebel sentiment and I'm almost always declaring war constantly. I could probably save some money in rare lull periods.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Tsyni posted:

Ok ok, good point. I don't like to give rebels a chance to give me more rebel sentiment

Either your force is enough to push unrest close to or below 0, or it's not. In the first case you can wait with maint lowered until they're close to rebelling, then raise maint and park on the province long enough to drive them back down to 0-20%ish. After that you can lower maint again and unrest should naturally decay enough over time that they won't go off again. Of course if you have several provinces with suppressable unrest and not enough troops to suppress them all at once you'll want to keep maint up and rotate between them. If you can't push unrest low enough to stop rebels spawning you can lower maint and wait until they're about 80%, then raise maint and sit on or adjacent to the province, kill them when they pop and then lower maint again when done.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 4, 2017

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Wafflecopper posted:

Either your force is enough to push unrest close to or below 0, or it's not. In the first case you can wait with maint lowered until they're close to rebelling, then raise maint and park on the province long enough to drive them back down to 0-20%ish. After that you can lower maint again and unrest should naturally decay enough over time that they won't go off again. Of course if you have several provinces with suppressable unrest and not enough troops to suppress them all at once you'll want to keep maint up and rotate between them. If you can't push unrest low enough to stop rebels spawning you can lower maint and wait until they're about 80%, then raise maint and sit on or adjacent to the province, kill them when they pop and then lower maint again when done.

I sacrifice the ducats so I don't have to micromanage that. With multiple groups of rebels and other things going on it's just not worth it to me. Maybe I'm missing out. I can imagine like a Kongo game it being worth it at the start, or some of the other tougher starts.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Arrhythmia posted:

My first idea pick is always economic because i cannot stand the idea of having anything other than 0 inflation.

yo that's insane

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

How many of ya'll never minted in EU3?

Me, but I was a lame baby with slow expansion who never abused PUs. To take an entire large nation in a war is worth sabotaging the economic future of the nation.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I've only started taking loans after recruiting mercs became quick and convenient.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Final pre MoH dev diary is the full changelog for 1.2 https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-4th-of-april-2017.1009063/- [Art of War]

quote:

Automatic Fleet Transport now docks to pick up and drop off your armies when possible.

Chin Strap fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 4, 2017

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Between the transports and the diplomacy macro builder this is patch of the year.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

- [Art of War] Automatic Fleet Transport now docks to pick up and drop off your armies when possible.

:worship:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

quote:

- [Art of War] Automatic Fleet Transport now docks to pick up and drop off your armies when possible.

It feels like they took far too long to get this to work correctly, but I'm glad they finally did.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RIP millets, you were too good for this world.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Chump Farts posted:

Donald Trump account spotted.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

wukkar posted:

That cant be a Trump account, it knows too much about the game mechanics and posted its thoughts too coherently.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

RIP millets, you were too good for this world.

admin efficiency from tech was also nerfed. but you get some from absolutism now

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

wukkar posted:

He said pay off the loans, not declare bankruptcy and yell at someone to mod out the penalties for you!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Loans are good and cool and I usually float like 7 of the for long stretches of the game. Constantly pay enough to drop Corruption at least 2 a decade and you can regularly debase as well.

Hell, do you no loans ppl juat wait for Institutions to spread and not instantly take out some debt to embrace? Shameful.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

Hell, do you no loans ppl juat wait for Institutions to spread and not instantly take out some debt to embrace? Shameful.

Or upgrading ships, that's super expensive too

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I just play in a way that makes me all the money. :smug:

Actually, I just make sure to take as much money as possible in every war.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

wukkar posted:

*builds a dozen forts along the border with Spain, never makes them pay for it*

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In my experience, usually by 1550, often earlier, money ceases to be an object.

Though I'm not the kind of player whose playthroughs consist of an everlasting hell war, I like my periods of peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Wafflecopper posted:

Military spending doesn't count. We must be fiscally responsible only when it's not profitable to me or my friends.

• Locked thread