Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

agreed, if you didn't suffer years of bullying you can't be a nerd, and my name is gatekeeper george

quote:

genocide

:laffo: this is as funny as people calling the big bang theory "nerd blackface"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

NachtSieger posted:

agreed, if you didn't suffer years of bullying you can't be a nerd, and my name is gatekeeper george

:laffo: this is as funny as people calling the big bang theory "nerd blackface"

Also women nerds never get bullied!

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to my online video games where people call me a whore and ask to see my tits in voice chat and scream incoherently when I beat them.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Oh

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Midnight Voyager posted:

Also women nerds never get bullied!

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to my online video games where people call me a whore and ask to see my tits in voice chat and scream incoherently when I beat them.

"Yeah but you get so much free stuff just for being a girl in a MMO"

Like stalkers.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
Swear to god every time I see a debate about abortion on Facebook, it's a woman arguing the pro-choice position, and a dude with terrible grammar and a profile picture of a car arguing the pro-life position.

:smug:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Serious question: What so the people getting all riled up about Big Bang Theory being "nerd blackface" have to say about Silicon Valley?

Coz surely that is making far more fun, in a far meaner way, of IT professionals and the horrible, socially maladjusted people they are.

And anyways, isnt Big Bang Theory making more fun of the mentally ill, (Sheldon and Blossom and their asbergers), than it is of the nerds, (the others)?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Serious question: What so the people getting all riled up about Big Bang Theory being "nerd blackface" have to say about Silicon Valley?

Coz surely that is making far more fun, in a far meaner way, of IT professionals and the horrible, socially maladjusted people they are.

And anyways, isnt Big Bang Theory making more fun of the mentally ill, (Sheldon and Blossom and their asbergers), than it is of the nerds, (the others)?

I can't comment on Silicon Valley as I've never watched it, but that's literally why a ton of people don't like Big Bang Theory. Sheldon is a huge autistic nerd stereotype and the others are treated a little better. Admittedly I haven't watched more than a smattering of episodes so I don't know how the series has progressed.

Funnily enough I think a lot of actual nerds would like it if the jokes were more than "throw a bunch of geeky sounding buzzwords" and made real world references to stuff they were interested in. Being factually accurate in the interests of the cast would probably more than make up for the dumb stereotypes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Silicon Valley is actually funny and has jokes with more depth than "lol, people who like Star Trek are bad at socializing!"

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Big Bang Theory isn't making fun of anything because there's nothing fun about Big Bang Theory.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

You'd first have to find someone who's watched both of them.

The people who hate Big Bang tend to hate sitcoms in general, and some of them then funnel that into "my niche identity is being flattened into a stereotype and exploited for humor to the masses!" and you get huffy comments about nerd blackface. I say people because there are nerds who like the show; they just like sitcoms in general and are primed to enjoy something that makes references to the things they like while lampooning caricatures of actual people they've probably run into in nerd spaces.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Sarcopenia posted:

Someone please post the Furry comic with the sex shoes analogy.

Someone sacrifice themselves for a sixer so I can see what this is about.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Y-you think I'm beautiful? Aww :3:

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Munchables posted:

Big Bang Theory isn't making fun of anything because there's nothing fun about Big Bang Theory.

I have never seen big bang theory but I've always been vaguely aware of it.

If that quote is real then I know it's not going to be my thing.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I haven't watched either show but I know people who have, and the reason people aren't uncomfortable about Silicon Valley in the same way is that while Silicon Valley is merciless towards techies, it's largely an extremely accurate depiction of what life is really like for people in the tech industry. Meanwhile, BBT is just all jokes like the one posted above. It's not funny and kind of gives the impression that the show creators think all nerds are autistic caricatures that don't understand anything about talking to other people.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

The one accurate thing about BBT is that Sheldon nerdman's problem isn't so much that he can't talk to people it's that he's a giant self-centred arsehole.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Roseanne was way better than Big Bang Theory. Chuck Lorre peaked real early

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Ultima66 posted:

I haven't watched either show but I know people who have, and the reason people aren't uncomfortable about Silicon Valley in the same way is that while Silicon Valley is merciless towards techies, it's largely an extremely accurate depiction of what life is really like for people in the tech industry.

Can confirm: you'd be shocked at how much of that stuff isn't even as extreme as reality. I was a little disappointed they didn't really touch on the orgy of excess that is CES though.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Catberry posted:

I have never seen big bang theory but I've always been vaguely aware of it.

If that quote is real then I know it's not going to be my thing.

It's a good approximation. Throw in technical jargon word salad capped at the end with "it's just so simple!" being mansplained to the 'dumb normal girl' and you've got at least half the jokes for the entire series down

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

pillsburysoldier posted:

Roseanne was way better than Big Bang Theory. Chuck Lorre peaked real early

Roseanne was better than 99% of sitcoms period.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Henchman of Santa posted:

Silicon Valley is actually funny and has jokes with more depth than "lol, people who like Star Trek are bad at socializing!"

Also much like anyone who's ever worked at a mind numbing call center job will tell you about Workaholics: it's extremely accurate in a sometimes uncomfortable kind of way.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Roseanne is a huge product of it's time too. It's basically a targeted takedown of the Cosby show, Family Ties and their ilk and is built on a family that actually acts like a real family.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Comparing them, I think, helps explain why nerds will call BBT "nerd blackface" without particularly being able articulate it all too well.

Roseanne built an environment that those characters had to live and survive in. In spite of whatever comedy going on, you always were cognizant of the stakes at hand for the family if something went wrong. The characters were grounded and inhabited the space that was built for them. There weren't just personal stakes, there were professional and financial stakes. Went the sister decided to pick herself up and go to trucking school, it was a really human thing that felt believable.

With Big Bang Theory, the stakes are almost always nonexistant besides mostly romantic and sexual stresses and pressures. Their jobs are always safe, they transcend nearly any particular field to do whatever the hell they feel like between high energy physics to chemistry to neuroscience. It's facile and fake, it feels pasted on so that they can build a wall between "normal" people and "nerds." Any other characterization is hamfistedly inserted (Sheldon's religiously zealous family with that thurr dumb accent, the other two characters being pervy and overbearing ) and is, comparably cliche, trite and cheap. The "nerd blackface" complaint is too narrow, I think, since all the characters are stereotypes that they paste traits onto when it serves the story.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Except Bob Newhart's character, but that's to be expected because he's the best in every thing he ever does

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

So much better than the original one.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Please tell me it's an edit. Though knowing the author it's probably 100% serious.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
i always figured it was ironic

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
Black OP is my friend, red is a crazy person, blue is just some random relative of black

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

your friend a dog posted:

i always figured it was ironic

Read any given entry in Scott Adams' blog and you will very quickly see that it is not.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

Black OP is my friend, red is a crazy person, blue is just some random relative of black

Your friend is the IOSM, hope that helps.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

didn't you know you're not allowed to like anything anymore?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Besesoth posted:

Your friend is the IOSM, hope that helps.

Edgy af

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

RIP Jareth

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

It's been two years. Happy anniversary!

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

I mean, literally the entire point of that relationship is that if someone looks at you the way Jareth looks at Sarah, you should run away very fast. It's not exactly difficult subtext. :shrug:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Maybe it would have gone better if she didn't act like he sat down at the cool kids table in an 80s high school drama

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Besesoth posted:

I mean, literally the entire point of that relationship is that if someone looks at you the way Jareth looks at Sarah, you should run away very fast. It's not exactly difficult subtext. :shrug:

No one gives a poo poo. So it's you. You're the idiot on social media.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Yes and everyone gives a poo poo about her post, lol

It looks like she wanted attention and got it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fathis Munk posted:

Please tell me it's an edit. Though knowing the author it's probably 100% serious.

I post Dilbert to the Comic Strip thread in BSS.

No, it is not an edit. That's pure Adams.