Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jabby
Oct 27, 2010

I love how Gibraltar is somehow now a Sun 'Campaign'. As if anyone in the EU gives a flying gently caress what one British tabloid prints.

The point about Murdoch being obeyed in Downing Street but ignored in Brussels has never been more aptly demonstrated.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I remember reading that despite it having the 2nd highest circulation of any paper within the EU, they don't stock it in the Commission library as they don't consider it a serious publication

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Seaside Loafer posted:

loving hell whats with that scary looking dude with that scared looking child. Im no advertising expert but seriously dont people look at the output at least once.
Well, you know what happens to British kids in Spain when their wealthy middle class parents go off for tapas with suspected high ranking British pedos.

baka kaba posted:

Also gonna need someone to weigh in on whether that poster says "our rock doesn't masturbate"
It's not to be touched. Which can be read in the physical, sexual, or emotional sense.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Remember the last time yellow journalism led to a anglo nation going to war with spain? Remember the Maine.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Britain is going to win a bunch of islands which will be run as free market playgrounds for a while and then maybe one of them will go communist and others will just cause further wars?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Guavanaut posted:

Britain is going to win a bunch of islands which will be run as free market playgrounds for a while and then maybe one of them will go communist and others will just cause further wars?

Same old, same old.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Guavanaut posted:

All the UK crown dependencies (and other flavours) are already free market playgrounds :confused:

Although I have my hopes pinned on a Full Communist Revolution on the Isle of Man. One day.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Junior G-man posted:

All the UK crown dependencies (and other flavours) are already free market playgrounds :confused:

Although I have my hopes pinned on a Full Communist Revolution on the Isle of Man. One day.

Can't really justify going to Syria, but I could probably join the International Brigades on the Isle of Man.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

It's not to be touched. Which can be read in the physical, sexual, or emotional sense.

It'd be no la toca as a command though right? So as it is you can read it as a weird passive 'our rock isn't touched' or - my favourite - a reflexive 'our rock touches itself'

this is tricky and I might be wrong but I want to believe

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

baka kaba posted:

It'd be no la toca as a command though right? So as it is you can read it as a weird passive 'our rock isn't touched' or - my favourite - a reflexive 'our rock touches itself'

this is tricky and I might be wrong but I want to believe

I think it's correct. If it's like Italian, "non si tocca", it's like "one does not touch". So "our rock, one does not touch".

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

What's the odds on this being the front page of the Express tomorrow?

quote:

Theresa May condemns National Trust for axing 'Easter' from egg hunt

Theresa May has criticised the National Trust for omitting the word “Easter” from its annual children’s egg hunt, saying she was furious both as the daughter of a vicar and as a National Trust member.

Church leaders criticised the National Trust for “airbrushing” Christianity out of its chocolate egg hunt, after a rebrand led to the renaming of the “Easter Egg Trail” as the “Great British Egg Hunt”.

In a surprisingly robust response, the prime minister said it was wrong to have scrapped any mention of the Christian festival.

The stories you need to read, in one handy email
Read more
“I’m not just a vicar’s daughter, I’m a member of the National Trust as well,” she told ITV during a visit to Amman, Jordan. “I think the stance they have taken is absolutely ridiculous. I don’t know what they are thinking about frankly.”

Cadbury, which sponsors the event, told the Telegraph it had also wanted the event to appeal to non-Christians, saying: “We invite people from all faiths and none to enjoy our seasonal treats.”

However, the prime minister said the National Trust had not understood the importance of the festival. “Easter’s very important. It’s important to me,” she said. “It’s a very important festival for the Christian faith for millions across the world. So I think what the National Trust is doing is frankly just ridiculous.”

The archbishop of York said the decision to omit “Easter” from the egg hunt was “tantamount to spitting on the grave of [John] Cadbury” – the chocolate company’s founder.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/apr/04/theresa-may-condemns-national-trust-for-axing-easter-from-egg-hunt

SAVE ARE BRITISH CULTURE

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Coohoolin posted:

I think it's correct. If it's like Italian, "non si tocca", it's like "one does not touch". So "our rock, one does not touch".

ONE DOES NOT MERELY

TOUCH OUR ROCK

I don't think that's the tone they were going for though

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Junior G-man posted:

SAVE ARE BRITISH CULTURE

Airbrushing Christianity out? Sounds like a great idea to me.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Ahh yes the sacred Christian tradition of the easter egg hunt, straight from the Bible

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

baka kaba posted:

ONE DOES NOT MERELY

TOUCH OUR ROCK

I don't think that's the tone they were going for though

In Italian "la nostra rocca non si tocca" works fine as a sentiment of "don't touch our rock", I guess in Spanish it's the same. It's just an awkward literal translation.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

happyhippy posted:

Watch the Sun and idiots spaz out and want to invade Spain to keep the rock.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Junior G-man posted:

SAVE ARE BRITISH CULTURE

drat Europeans!!

We can blame this on Europe, right?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
whoops

https://twitter.com/BHAhumanists/st...%3D3800%23pti19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

Ahh yes the sacred Christian tradition of the easter egg hunt, straight from the Bible
Say what you will about the JWs and Anabaptists, at least they stay well away from Easter and Saturnalia and birthdays and other pagan idolatry instead of engaging in syncretism.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i can't believe thats not an april fools joke article

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Junior G-man posted:

SAVE ARE BRITISH CULTURE

April 1st is passed, you can stop this now.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Easter is probably my second fave Christian festival of the year. I love celebrating the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ with some delicious confectionary.

It's a shame the packaging is so much worse these days though.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jose posted:

i can't believe thats not an april fools joke article

i can, im p sure this country has some kind of degenerative brain disease

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pissflaps posted:

Easter is probably my second fave Christian festival of the year. I love celebrating the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ with some delicious confectionary.

I'm irritated the sweets that come with the eggs aren't put inside the egg any more, and I'm certain it has something to do with the Muslamics.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

XMNN posted:

i can, im p sure this country has some kind of degenerative brain disease

Mad cow disease, and we didn't even notice.

Also, the best part of Easter is Malteaster Bunny chocolates. Though the week after Easter when chocolate eggs get discounted is a close second.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Apr 4, 2017

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Guavanaut posted:

Anabaptists

I'm not a huge Dan Carlin/Hardcore History fan but this episode about the Anabaptist takeover of Muenster in the 16th century is a good fit for his style due to the sheer level of :stonk: involved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x79MW1gWtJ8

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Mad cow disease, and we didn't even notice.

Another disease brought over to Albion by forrinners :argh:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

In Italian "la nostra rocca non si tocca" works fine as a sentiment of "don't touch our rock", I guess in Spanish it's the same. It's just an awkward literal translation.

It works fine. Technically you could read it as "our rock doesn't touch itself", in a sexual sense, but that's a stretch.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Firos posted:

A line is one dimensional :colbert:

*tugs collar* Which is precisely why er Ganesh is even more wrong folks

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
Looking forward to the Sun finding out Gibraltar is named after a Muslim.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Elman posted:

It works fine. Technically you could read it as "our rock doesn't touch itself", in a sexual sense, but that's a stretch.

Yeah in Italian it could possibly be read that way as well but the primary meaning is the same.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nostra Rocker Noncey Tocker sounds like a secret BBC dossier.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Lobster God posted:

Looking forward to the Sun finding out Gibraltar is named after a Muslim.

I find it fascinating that 'Ole' comes from 'Allah'.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I thought it came from 'with milk'.

OwlFancier posted:

Nostra Rocker Noncey Tocker sounds like a secret BBC dossier.
Not their most popular 70s children's show.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

I thought it came from 'with milk'.

:golfclap:

Best joke of the day so far.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Not 100% but I'm fairly sure that the "Cadbury Egg Trail" is mandated by Cadbury's. You know, in exchange for the thousands of eggs/bunnies that they give the Trust as an advertising exercise. And I don't know where "Great British Egg Hunt" is coming from as properties are being asked to brand their trails as either ‘National Trust & Cadbury Egg Hunt’ or ‘Cadbury Egg Hunt’. Basically, I blame Kraft.

Interestingly though, both the internal Trust intranet page and generic email address relating to the trails mention Easter.

Hopefully the Trust just poops out the official Twitter response to @number10gov and ignores the issue beyond that.

quote:

Why has Easter been removed from Cadbury Egg Hunts?

TW. Thanks for the feedback . We’ll be celebrating Easter in all sorts of ways at our places… (1/2) … from garden trails to arts and crafts: http://nattru.st/5huey (2/2)

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Remember the asylum seeker's cat? We can expect plenty more hot takes on political correctness gone mad from the PM.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

bitterandtwisted posted:

Remember the asylum seeker's cat? We can expect plenty more hot takes on political correctness gone mad from the PM.

Oh god I'd forgotten about that. Jesus.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
It would be "¡El Peñón no se toca!" or "¡No jodan con Gibraltar, españoles putos!", "¡Viva el eterno Imperio Británico!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I think I prefer pancake day but I do like hot cross buns, the fluffy chicks and the days off

• Locked thread