Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

japan's liberal democratic party has been in power since 1955, minus a couple of brief two-year stints. despite the name, they're pretty right wing - not extremists, just kinda close-minded and lovely. anti-gay marriage, hate koreans, etc. Imagine a middle of the road republican in his 60s and you've basically got the idea. So there's a lot of political and cultural ennui. The game is coached in that pretty heavily.
Do you happen to know what the voter turnout tends to be like? I've been told a number by someone I tend to trust, but he didn't mention a source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Question about the battle with the end boss of the first dungeon: When you can select a party member to go knock off the crown on the bosses head, the game mentions you should choose who would be best suited for the task... what are the differences? Like is it possible to pick someone who flat out always fails? Or is it just extra turns of leeway?

I first picked Morgana but after a few turns of not dealing damage, Morgana got caught and I had to start over. 2nd time around I picked Ryuji and just tried to be a bit more offensive and succeeded. Could I have succeeded with Morgana? And What would of happened if I picked Ann?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

Do you happen to know what the voter turnout tends to be like? I've been told a number by someone I tend to trust, but he didn't mention a source.
54.7% as of the most recent upper house election. They recently lowered the voting age to 18 (from 20) in an attempt to increase turnout.

For comparison, the turnout for the 2016 US presidential elections was about 59-60% percent.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Question about the battle with the end boss of the first dungeon: When you can select a party member to go knock off the crown on the bosses head, the game mentions you should choose who would be best suited for the task... what are the differences? Like is it possible to pick someone who flat out always fails? Or is it just extra turns of leeway?

I first picked Morgana but after a few turns of not dealing damage, Morgana got caught and I had to start over. 2nd time around I picked Ryuji and just tried to be a bit more offensive and succeeded. Could I have succeeded with Morgana? And What would of happened if I picked Ann?

It's impossible for Ann and she will fail it, Ryuji will always succeed, and I think Morgana fails too. The sequence only advances when you do enough but it shouldn't fail if you don't do unless it is supposed to fail. I could be wrong about this because I didn't experiment too much but I tried once with Morgana and it didn't work, twice with Ann and it didn't work, and every time I tried with Ryuji it succeeds. Some are anybody, but others will outright have the characters tell you they cannot do them if they are not suited to the task.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

54.7% as of the most recent upper house election. They recently lowered the voting age to 18 (from 20) in an attempt to increase turnout.

For comparison, the turnout for the 2016 US presidential elections was about 59-60% percent.
That's much higher than the number I was given, or at least my memory of the number I was given, so that's mildly reassuring.

I find it funny that there was a record number of early voters. More people have started doing that in Australia, too. What could it mean?? It must be those millennials, always in a rush to do everything as soon as possible.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm played my Castlevania lords of shadow because my copy of P5 ain't gonna be here for about 12 hours even though I could be playing my jp copy I guess

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

FractalSandwich posted:

I find it funny that there was a record number of early voters. More people have started doing that in Australia, too. What could it mean?? It must be those millennials, always in a rush to do everything as soon as possible.

Probably because all the clowns in Sydney were too busy ordering their half-caf nonfat vente lattes while arguing over the best place to get a gluten-free salad based on what techno was playing and how long the line is to get in and sorry I'm just mad because I'm stuck in loving Sydney working instead of at home burning my dread.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Endorph posted:

imagine if donald trump got sick and didn't run in 2020, mike pence served two terms, then trump ran in 2028 and won, and you'd have an understanding of how a lot of more liberal japanese people feel.

Is there an option for me not to imagine that :shepicide:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Wrt "is this kind of thing normal in a Japanese school" chat, I went to highschool in the American south and one of the most ubiquitous rumors my freshman and sophomore year was that the star womens' basketball player was loving a basketball coach. I was two years younger and didn't play basketball, so I imagine pretty much everyone in the building heard it.

Obviously I have absolutely no clue if they had any kind of weird relationship at all, or (more likely) that it was just started by some dude she snubbed or one of the benchwarmers on her team, but my point is that I don't even think there's anything particularly Japanese about the initial story situation.

Also this game rules

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I got my shipping notice yesterday so it should be here from Amazon some time today. Unfortunately it's Amazon's own delivery service bringing it and those guys always show up late so my plan of a half day at work than Persona are in doubt.

Endorph posted:

imagine if donald trump got sick and didn't run in 2020, mike pence served two terms, then trump ran in 2028 and won, and you'd have an understanding of how a lot of more liberal japanese people feel.

Jesus and I thought being a Leftist in the US was rough, they must be suicidal over there

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

KomradeX posted:

I got my shipping notice yesterday so it should be here from Amazon some time today. Unfortunately it's Amazon's own delivery service bringing it and those guys always show up late so my plan of a half day at work than Persona are in doubt.

Jesus and I thought being a Leftist in the US was rough, they must be suicidal over there

I mean if you wanna talk about suicide in Japan...

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can someone explain the pros of bullets to me?

I see they're limited and I can just pop off on a idiot but like... it's giving me JRPG healing potion vibes where "WHAT IF I NEED THEM LATER."

Like is there a time where I should just unload like a psychopath?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can someone explain the pros of bullets to me?

I see they're limited and I can just pop off on a idiot but like... it's giving me JRPG healing potion vibes where "WHAT IF I NEED THEM LATER."

Like is there a time where I should just unload like a psychopath?

Use them for enemy weaknesses until you do the Tower confidant because only Ryuji's do any real damage, they are weakness hitting tools for the most part.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Captain Baal posted:

Use them for enemy weaknesses until you do the Tower confidant because only Ryuji's do any real damage, they are weakness hitting tools for the most part.

Can do. The AI just unloaded without a care in the world when it introduced that mechanic so wasn't sure if that was the goal or not.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah. Guns have been a staple of SMT games outside of the Persona series (post-P2 anyway) so I was surprised to see them show up in this game. Just think of them as another elemental attack to score a 1 More.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bullets are not an easily renewable resource at first, but they are not as essential of a necessity as SP. A good thing to note is anything that has wings and flies is more often than not weak to guns. You only need to shoot them once to knock them so don't go crazy and if you hit anything that nullifies guns your character's turn ends immediately regardless of if you hit other shadows who were weak to guns.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i'm lost on the subway
this game hits too close to home
0/10
piece of poo poo
garbage

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

watchin someones stream (who is not my friend because atlus is actually functionally damaged in the brain) and this UI looks like a ransom note vomited all over it with different cut out letters from newspapers and magazines

i hope we get some ZODIAC KILLER in this nonsensical game-ified anime

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
That picture is by far the grossest image I've seen on this forum that is home to both hello.jpg and legs.jpg

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Josuke Higashikata posted:

i'm lost on the subway
this game hits too close to home
0/10
piece of poo poo
garbage

at least one person is going to take this game back or break the disc or whatever because they can't find the ginza line at the beginning

also my only complaint about the game so far is ps4 share screencaps being disabled

I had to take a picture of dog-loving girl and her excellent friend with my drat phone

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
i dunno about all of you but shibuya station looks exactly like it does IRL and the Ginza line is loving easy to find.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

game... good.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

ntan1 posted:

i dunno about all of you but shibuya station looks exactly like it does IRL and the Ginza line is loving easy to find.
I agree with the first half of this statement.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I managed to go directly to it. Isn't there a ! on the map?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Only in the game.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I think it's more because you have to like go up some stairs to go outside and enter another building but when the game mentions the guinza line you think you have to down a corridor or down some stairs to go to it.

Or at least I did but I live in a country where the subway only has 4 lines so maybe that was the issue.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
So uh.... it turns out this thing didn't preload for me and I have to wait for it to download now.
What's the difference between the "4 gb needed to start the application" and the rest of the 20 gb game? I assume it's for an installer or something and I still have to wait for the rest before I can play ...... ?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
If it works like every other PS4 game that pulls that poo poo, you'll be able to turn the game on after the first 4gb are done and stare at the title screen/watch the attract video over and over and over again until it actually finishes.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
If they were smart, those are assets that aren't used near the start of the game, and you can start playing without them. I can't vouch for whether or not they were smart.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for real tho, the tl's a little stiffer than p4/p3 but it seems fine. Iunno why some dude who works at riot is screaming that he can't play the game because the TL is impossible to understand.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Dragonatrix posted:

If it works like every other PS4 game that pulls that poo poo, you'll be able to turn the game on after the first 4gb are done and stare at the title screen/watch the attract video over and over and over again until it actually finishes.

I guess I'll stare at the attract video for 5+ hours and pretend I'm playing Persona 5
:negative:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
You can play through the tutorial, maybe even a bit further.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's dumb because I don't think it even streams the rest in seamlessly, you can play up to what 4gb gets you then you have to wait for the whole of the rest to download before you can get any further.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Oh, I don't get the point of that but at least it's something.
Last year I waited like 2 hours to play Persona 5 for 10 minutes so it's not as bad as that

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I have notifications off and I still get one when a trophy screen grab tries to happen. LAME!

Game is fun so far though. Do kind of wish it asked me to save between school > dungeon crawl at least at the super early point, 'cos I have to go do things and ended up losing 10 to 15 mins of cutscene progress.

If the Fast Forward thing works well though, it's not a big deal.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Jun Fukuyama is goddamn incredible in this game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I have notifications off and I still get one when a trophy screen grab tries to happen. LAME!

Game is fun so far though. Do kind of wish it asked me to save between school > dungeon crawl at least at the super early point, 'cos I have to go do things and ended up losing 10 to 15 mins of cutscene progress.

If the Fast Forward thing works well though, it's not a big deal.

Why are you closing the game if you have to go somewhere? Just put the PS4 in rest mode.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Apr 4, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The lack of save points is definitely a thing though, as far as I can tell it's only your room, dungeon entrance and safe rooms in dungeons and that's it?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You can save p much everywhere in school and other areas idr off the top of my head as well, but yes the entrance and safe rooms are save points in the dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh huh, I thought I tried it in school but maybe it was in the middle of story stuff.