Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I love that someone who did something as major as crippling Prof X is such an obscure forgettable nobody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty sure a bunch of guys have been responsible for crippling Professor X. It was the Shadow King at one point, wasn't it? He's a much better bad guy.

Still, Silver Age X-Men had weird villains. Does anyone remember Grotesk or Factor Three and the Mutant Master?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I remember Lucifer having a big build up in the comics and then the reveal was a guy who looked and felt like a quick sketch of Magneto, a character debuting eight issues earlier. I also remember Grotesk because he was the guy who killed Professor X the first time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ghostlight posted:

I remember Lucifer having a big build up in the comics and then the reveal was a guy who looked and felt like a quick sketch of Magneto,

Yeah my first thought was that the guy looks like someone trying (and failing) to draw Magneto from memory.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Rendered Xavier a cripple" is some really awkward phrasing.

Anyway, off the top of my head, Xavier has been crippled by:

Lucifer
Shadow King
Stryfe/Apocalypse*
Magneto**

*He was able to walk briefly as a result of being infected by Stryfe with a TO virus which Apocalypse cured. He used his time to rollerblade with Jubilee

**Magneto "fixed" him as Xorn by dumping a bunch of nanosentinels in his body. He then removed them after revealing he was Magneto*** all along!

***Actually he was Xorn**** pretending to be Magneto to be Xorn*****

****The evil Xorn

*****The evil Xorn's good brother Xorn

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

*He was able to walk briefly as a result of being infected by Stryfe with a TO virus which Apocalypse cured. He used his time to rollerblade with Jubilee

Wouldn't we all.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

At one point around the start of New Mutants he was taken over by a Brood, killed and then the Starjammers built him a new body and then he could walk for awhile but would randomly fall over screaming in pain.

I forget what put him back him in the chair that time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember how in early X-Men, Professor X was (like everyone else in the cast possibly including Bobby) secretly in love with Jean Grey and had all this internal angst over, "How could she ever love... a cripple?!" Strange times.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kalli posted:

At one point around the start of New Mutants he was taken over by a Brood, killed and then the Starjammers built him a new body and then he could walk for awhile but would randomly fall over screaming in pain.

I forget what put him back him in the chair that time.
That was the Shadow King one. He broke his back in ~the astral plane~ during the Muir Island Saga and it also broke it in the physical plane.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember how in early X-Men, Professor X was (like everyone else in the cast possibly including Bobby) secretly in love with Jean Grey and had all this internal angst over, "How could she ever love... a cripple?!" Strange times.
I think this is some common Marvel angst since Donald Blake did the same thing with Jane Foster. Because, really, how could any woman love a man who has to use a walking stick?

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

The one Ultimate X-Men panel I remember is Ultimate Sinister introducing Xavier to his greatest foe of all.

"Stairs."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

That was like, one thought bubble in one issue.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

That was like, one thought bubble in one issue.

But wasn't it one of the first issues?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

They also brought it up years later in the build up to Onslaught in the 90's, where Onslaught takes Jean Grey through a trip on the Astral Plane including Xavier's mind and points out how Xavier had a creepy crush on her.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Endless Mike posted:

I think this is some common Marvel angst since Donald Blake did the same thing with Jane Foster. Because, really, how could any woman love a man who has to use a walking stick?
Steve Rogers as well.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Iron Man had his bum ticker that he thought kept him from having relationships. Betty Brant ditched Peter Parker because his job was too dangerous.

Early Marvel superheroes did not spring up out of nowhere. Their family tree includes the Romance comics, Twilight Zone-esque morality play comics, and monster and war comics that directly preceded them.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 4, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 45: Foxfire

Foxfire is both a Squadron Supreme villain turned ally and what my 60 year old uncle calls his web browser when he calls me to fix his computer. Not really much effort went into her design. I do find the differently sized boots an odd design choice though.

X-O fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 4, 2017

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

If she was a Squadron Supreme character, was she an analogue for anyone from DC?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

hup posted:

If she was a Squadron Supreme character, was she an analogue for anyone from DC?

Nah, I don't think so; the Squadron Supreme miniseries introduced several characters who didn't map directly on to DC characters, like Haywire and Quagmire and Lamprey and such; Foxfire, as one of the villains who get brainwashed and later join the Squadron, was one of these.

I suppose it's possible that there's someone she's 'inspired by' but just because Gruenwald was working with a Squadron Supreme that was very clearly the JLA with the serial numbers scratched off, he didn't seem to feel like he had to fit all his characters into that mold.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

When looking straight on her haircut is two mirrored F's like on her jacket.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Lamprey is Parasite.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
"Tattoo of fox heads on each breast" like where did they fit this detail in?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The touch of one boot heals...the other...destroys!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

hup posted:

Vixen, from Justice League Detroit.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I wouldn't really consider "fox based name and is also a black lady" an analogue, but then I didn't create Wundarr the Aquarian.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
There's really a fine line between standard 'scantily clad super-heroine costume' and 'forgot to wear pants today'...

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

team overhead smash posted:

They also brought it up years later in the build up to Onslaught in the 90's, where Onslaught takes Jean Grey through a trip on the Astral Plane including Xavier's mind and points out how Xavier had a creepy crush on her.

I remember that Jean's reaction to it was "That's it? Who cares?!"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, if you are a pretty lady who can read minds that would sound positively quaint.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 46: Machete

This dude's got knives everywhere. I'm not even sure how you reach a couple of those on the back. Also insert Danny Trejo joke here.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Machete has a special place in my heart as a D-lister because he's died and come back with zero explanation a bunch of times, and there have been at least 2 or 3 of them, but most writers never bother saying which Machete they're using when he shows up as part of the Batroc Brigade. His history is a confusing loving mess and he's just forgettable enough that no one cares.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Does Machete actually have extensive knowledge of guerilla tactics or is that just a padded resume way of saying he likes surprise attacks.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Yo, where is San Diablo and why haven't I heard of it before?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Appears to be the south-western part of Alto Rio Negro in Brazil.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

Ghostlight posted:

Appears to be the south-western part of Alto Rio Negro in Brazil.
I love how they just cram in fictional countries whenever the plot needs one. Marvel's map of Eastern Europe probably looks like someone spilled confetti on a real map.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lobok posted:

Does Machete actually have extensive knowledge of guerilla tactics or is that just a padded resume way of saying he likes surprise attacks.

If guerilla tactics means throwing knives at people from off-panel and missing, he's the master of that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

HitTheTargets posted:

Yo, where is San Diablo and why haven't I heard of it before?
Miller nuked it accidentally while trying to park ZEKE.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Superman would. :colbert: He proposed to Lori Lemaris, who as far as he knew was paralyzed, even if it later turned out she was a mermaid in a wheelchair.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Fearless_Decoy posted:

I love how they just cram in fictional countries whenever the plot needs one. Marvel's map of Eastern Europe probably looks like someone spilled confetti on a real map.

The Holy Roman Empire never ended in the Marvel Universe, micro states for everyone.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's only 12 knives unless he's got some hidden in his gloves. He needs some bandoleers.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Also I like how his flak jacket and boots are special but the rest, including them gaudy yellow Elfin Gloves +1, are "conventional military surplus."

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Batroc's Brigade :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 47: The Power Broker

The man who could be the inspiration for a lot of really bad artist's careers. The Power Broker is a dude that that seems like a '90s wet dream but he's way older than that. Not to be confused with new version who's a bit more professional looking for a CEO. It says he's presumed single, but honestly who could resist this mountain of a man?

• Locked thread