Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Just stop giving people food or medicine unless they fight for it. Survival of the fittest. If you can't find a person to kill and eat, and choose to die instead, you demonstrably don't have what it takes to live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Since when was fish an allergy anyway? Shellfish I've heard of but not just plain fish.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

"Cars got a lot of pick up..."

I'll also say that the best soundtrack of all time is a tie between The Big Chill (not a very good movie though) and The Blues Brothers.

They had a sound that could turn goat piss into gasoline.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

"Cars got a lot of pick up..."

I'll also say that the best soundtrack of all time is a tie between The Big Chill (not a very good movie though) and The Blues Brothers.

Nah its probably Grosse Pointe Blank

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

starkebn posted:

Since when was fish an allergy anyway? Shellfish I've heard of but not just plain fish.

It's not that rare, although usually it's more like just salmon, not all fish.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

starkebn posted:

Shellfish is the most common one. There are multiple types of fish allergies that are separate. In my case I'm allergic to all seafood. Shellfish can kill me but fish can't. I'm just miserable for a while and a bit of cross-contamination won't hurt me. However, enough seafood in a place will cause me problems.

I found out pretty young. My extended family loving loves seafood and is full of people who love to fish so it was very common for people to go out, catch a poo poo load of fish, then gather the whole family up to eat them. I reacted and got sick every single time no matter what it was.

It's awful. Look at the ingredients to lots of things and you see fish where you wouldn't expect it. I've always hated salad dressing and eventually found out why after looking at the labels. A lot of it is based on fish sauce and has fish stuff in it. I also love Asian food but so much of it is flavored with seafood somehow that I can't have it. There's an amazing Thai place not far from my work place that I can't eat at. It's staffed by actual Thai immigrants and the one time I ate their the food was incredible but just wrecked my poo poo the rest of the day.

I don't eat out on Fridays during Lent. When I worked in a restaurant I had to take every single Friday off during Lent because of all the seafood being served. Food allergies are awful to deal with.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Animal House is great fun but The Blues Brothers is better.

I used to hate Animal House but saw it again last fall and changed my mind. It wasn't bad and John Belushi doesn't annoy me as much now as he used to. He's still not my favorite though and there are times on old SNL when he irritates. If he had lived he would have turned into every other comedian-gets-older-and-is-not-so-funny-anymore.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I don't like Bill Murray very much and don't know why he's so popular.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Garrand posted:

I don't like Bill Murray very much and don't know why he's so popular.

garfield, man. once you go there, everyone HAS to respect you. now, garfield: a tale of two kitties? that was the bomb, probably his magnum opus in voice acting.

bean_shadow posted:

I used to hate Animal House but saw it again last fall and changed my mind. It wasn't bad and John Belushi doesn't annoy me as much now as he used to. He's still not my favorite though and there are times on old SNL when he irritates. If he had lived he would have turned into every other comedian-gets-older-and-is-not-so-funny-anymore.

I've never seen all of animal house, I usually only catch it when it's on the last half hour. Blues brothers however, is hilarious and is the poo poo.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

A Scanner Darkly was a good movie and a good adaptation of the book. I was surprised to find a lot of people saying it was bad online.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

A Scanner Darkly was a good movie and a good adaptation of the book. I was surprised to find a lot of people saying it was bad online.

Yeah, I just read the book and it's basically a direct adaption. I felt the pace of the story was a little imbalanced though, he just seems to go too​ suddenly into "too hosed up on drugs". I mean it just sort of happens without it being noticeable beforehand. Maybe that's where the complaints come from.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The documentary on Animal House was better than Animal House.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've never eaten bugs, but when I see stuff about other cultures eating them it looks pretty appetizing and i feel like I'm missing out.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

veni veni veni posted:

I've never eaten bugs, but when I see stuff about other cultures eating them it looks pretty appetizing and i feel like I'm missing out.

Just eat some prawns, crunch up the tails too, it's a very similar experience. I think prawn tails are good. Like, I won't go out of my way to eat them on their own but I think you're a baby if you spit them out or bite them off and make a little pile of prawn tails on your plate. It adds a nice crunch.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

doverhog posted:

There almost certainly is life out there, some biological scum at the bottom of a sea, or a space rat. Intelligent life tho, they will first discover nukes, and if they survive that, discover virtual reality. Neither is conducive to space travel.

Space travel is vital to the long term survival of life and we can't assume any other intelligent species would be as short lived and consequently short sighted as we are.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Just eat some prawns, crunch up the tails too, it's a very similar experience. I think prawn tails are good. Like, I won't go out of my way to eat them on their own but I think you're a baby if you spit them out or bite them off and make a little pile of prawn tails on your plate. It adds a nice crunch.

I think that's fine if they're fried, but I just can't eat the tails if they're still sort of floppy.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

On another movie-related PHUO (though not maybe on this forum):

I don't like Fight Club. It's not a good movie in the least, and its twist is the cherry on top of the "so what?" sundae.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Solice Kirsk posted:

Oh! I got a bad opinion! The movie Stripes is not very funny.

Stripes and Full Metal Jacket are the same movie in which the first half is brilliant and the second half is garbage.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

"the second half of full metal jacket is garbage" is the film equivalent of "nirvana and the beatles are overrated"

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

"the second half of full metal jacket is garbage" is the film equivalent of "nirvana and the beatles are overrated"

Yes, and?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Garrand posted:

Yes, and?

Dumb people say it to look smart

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dross posted:

Space travel is vital to the long term survival of life and we can't assume any other intelligent species would be as short lived and consequently short sighted as we are.

why not?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'd join in on saying the second half of Full Metal Jacket sucked if I could actually remember what happened in it.

Semi-related that I'm pretty sure is unpopular: We Were Soldiers is the best Vietnam war movie.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The theatrical cut of Apocalypse Now is better than the Redux.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
New Orleans is one of the shittiest cities in the US in all quantitative and qualitative aspects. loving Houston has 10x the variety and depth of culture.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Collateral Damage posted:

I like the idea of multiple cuts of a movie in theory but in practise unless your movie is a proper ten out of ten I'm only going to watch it once so its kinda moot :colbert:

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Just because its a popular criticism of the movie doesn't mean its false. Whens the last time you watched FMJ? What parts did you enjoy?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Collateral Damage posted:

I thought this was generally accepted? The extra crap in Redux was somewhat interesting because I've seen the original like 5 times, but it really screws up the flow of the movie, which is long enough(and weird enough) already.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Theatrical releases are always better, with two exceptions.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

emoji posted:

New Orleans is one of the shittiest cities in the US in all quantitative and qualitative aspects. loving Houston has 10x the variety and depth of culture.

Food.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Available also everywhere else in the entire region. Real food happens at cookouts.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

sassassin posted:

Theatrical releases are always better, with two exceptions.

Predator and predator 2.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

emoji posted:

Available also everywhere else in the entire region. Real food happens at cookouts.

Fine, then drinking in the street.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

emoji posted:

Real food happens at cookouts.

What is a cookout?

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Fine, then drinking in the street.

I think you are arguing my point here. The city traded culture and historic ties for allowing tourists to get shitfaced (sponsored by AB InBev), get scammed into buying K2/Spice, and see titties on weeknights (none of which is unique, tons of places allow public drinking during special events/festivals) and purchase 'authentic' Kincadesque street art that all looks exactly the same:

All property in the Quarter is owned by multi-millionaire landlords or celebrities and patrolled by private security and police (de facto private security). The only remnants of things like Haitian/Spanish/Creole culture are just words in sentimental articles or expressed through truck-stop style Chinese plastic available at places named some permutation of 'Voodoo Jazz Zydeco Jambalaya'. The only remaining endemic cajun/creole culture/language exists in central Acadiana and the Georgia/Carolina barrier islands. Also the surrounding wetlands and mineral rights were sold to the likes of Shell decades ago retaining no money to the state and it's really depressing to see them today as they've been completely transformed into sulfur-smelling industrial canals shimmering with a thin layer of hydrocarbons. Go check it out on Google maps, they're even mapped in vector.

Tiggum posted:

What is a cookout?

Outdoor crawfish boils, tailgates, potlucks, BBQ, etc.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

We don't even know if other life would have chromosomes or DNA/RNA as we know it, senescence might not be a property integral to all life in the universe. There are some simpler life forms here on earth that are effectively immortal unless killed.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't get why fans of Married With Children always use the Cosby Show as an example of '80s sitcoms with perfect families. Have they ever watched an episode of Cosby? Those kids were constantly getting in trouble for slacking off in school, drinking, sneaking off without permission, etc. The point of Cosby wasn't that the Huxtables were perfect, but that they were a typical family with typical problems that ultimately loved and looked out for each other.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

emoji posted:

I think you are arguing my point here. The city traded culture and historic ties for allowing tourists to get shitfaced (sponsored by AB InBev), get scammed into buying K2/Spice, and see titties on weeknights (none of which is unique, tons of places allow public drinking during special events/festivals) and purchase 'authentic' Kincadesque street art that all looks exactly the same:

All property in the Quarter is owned by multi-millionaire landlords or celebrities and patrolled by private security and police (de facto private security). The only remnants of things like Haitian/Spanish/Creole culture are just words in sentimental articles or expressed through truck-stop style Chinese plastic available at places named some permutation of 'Voodoo Jazz Zydeco Jambalaya'. The only remaining endemic cajun/creole culture/language exists in central Acadiana and the Georgia/Carolina barrier islands. Also the surrounding wetlands and mineral rights were sold to the likes of Shell decades ago retaining no money to the state and it's really depressing to see them today as they've been completely transformed into sulfur-smelling industrial canals shimmering with a thin layer of hydrocarbons. Go check it out on Google maps, they're even mapped in vector.

Outdoor crawfish boils, tailgates, potlucks, BBQ, etc.

I love Louisiana and New Orleans and agreed, it is a hella depressing situation. A couple years ago outside the city I got to (sort of) talk to a middle-aged-ish créole guy whose english was so thick as to be incomprehensible. It's sad that that's dying out. To be honest I'm glad New Orleans lives on in corporate veneer, at least.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Oh god this. Especially with goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So do you guys really think the Beatles are just that great, or what?