Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

wide stance posted:

I doubt most, if any, .NET web shops use Razor anymore, in favor of Angular or React. You need javascript to do things on the front-end, a lot more than people think, so you might as well put your views there and actually have it mesh with that logic. No one wants to use a website that reloads the page just to show something different on said page or refresh the data.

Microsoft doesn't want you to use their views either and pretty much dropped off support for front-end stuff, including their javascript bundling. React + Typescript is first class in Visual Studio and is way easier to use than Razor and probably even better integrated, with syntax highlighting, referencing, build checking, etc.

angular is turbo garbage and razor is way better and easier to use than react.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

did anyone here ever do windows driver development (specifically network tunnel adapters)?

a little. never tunnel adapters though

:lol::rip:

effortpost tomorrow

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

wide stance posted:

I doubt most, if any, .NET web shops use Razor anymore, in favor of Angular or React. You need javascript to do things on the front-end, a lot more than people think, so you might as well put your views there and actually have it mesh with that logic. No one wants to use a website that reloads the page just to show something different on said page or refresh the data.

Microsoft doesn't want you to use their views either and pretty much dropped off support for front-end stuff, including their javascript bundling. React + Typescript is first class in Visual Studio and is way easier to use than Razor and probably even better integrated, with syntax highlighting, referencing, build checking, etc.

razor just got a ton of love for asp.net core and the bundling stuff just moved to a vs extension iirc.

not to say it's a better choice than react / angular and a proper frontend build, but saying even ms wants people off razor is a stretch imo.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
react, typescript, and .net core in visual studio is seriously own zone. god help you if you use razor for anything more complex than making GBS threads a few static elements and script tags into the page.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i loving hate that everything is a poorly written single page app nowadays

unless you have a good need and, just as importantly, a good team who know their poo poo and are given time to get the ux up to par, then don't bother. stick with tried and true and totally normal full page requests, and tart them up with just a little bit of js if need be

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
good single page apps are fine. the problem is that it's actually not easy to write a smooth, pleasant experience

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

wide stance posted:

its me, im the one currently reimplementing aspx apps using razor

angular is horrid and the guys at work who use react are all node evangelists so i just assumed it was bad

the current ui has lasted 10+ years so by the time it's next due an update maybe there wont be so many competing frameworks....lol as if

edit: you can do partial page refreshes in Core using async views i think...or the old way was to have the controller return raw html then append to the DOM. or just bundle in some ajax if it's like populating a dropdown or something

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 4, 2017

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

redleader posted:

good single page apps are fine. the problem is that it's actually not easy to write a smooth, pleasant experience

sure it is, it's called a native app

and anyone who isn't going to write one should write a single page "app" so someone else can replace it with a good native app without need for scraping

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

redleader posted:

i loving hate that everything is a poorly written single page app nowadays

unless you have a good need and, just as importantly, a good team who know their poo poo and are given time to get the ux up to par, then don't bother. stick with tried and true and totally normal full page requests, and tart them up with just a little bit of js if need be

you know what i hate?

infinite scrolling.

you know what i hate even more

infinite scrolling with a single 200 pixel wide column of "things" in the center of my 21:9 ultrawide monitor.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
pages are good.

when my browser or tab crashes, i can resume my browsing when there are pages. with infinite scrolling i might as well throw my computer in the trash, climb in there after it and set everything on fire.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
and when you use a peak 2001 purist html+css web page and the page just loads instantly and there are no spinners anywhere :kiss:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I'm attending a conference with a fancy website that is buggy and displays contents of the schedule and talk description for 0.5 seconds before some bug wipes the screen clean it owns

had it just been static content it would have worked fine, but the js giveth and then very rapidly taketh the content away

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > YOSPOS > terrible programmers:

MononcQc posted:

js giveth and then very rapidly taketh the content away

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 4, 2017

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

MononcQc posted:

the js giveth and then very rapidly taketh the content away

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Wheany posted:

you know what i hate?

infinite scrolling.

infinite scrolling with a single 200 pixel wide column of "things" in the center of my 21:9 ultrawide monitor.

how bout some custom laggy scrolling code thrown into the mix. nope, not gonna work with auto scrolling or your OS scroll speed settings.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Rectus posted:

how bout some custom laggy scrolling code thrown into the mix. nope, not gonna work with auto scrolling or your OS scroll speed settings.

i'll see your custom laggy scrolling code and raise you custom laggy scrolling code with a weird jump when the header is almost out of view and gets replaced with a fixed narrowed header

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
what about pages that stop you using your 'back' button to get back to wherever you came from

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Wheany posted:

you know what i hate?

infinite scrolling.

my favourite are links in the footer and infiinte scrolling

basically anything twitter has done

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i love it how twitter randomly jumps the scroll position halfway down the page whenever you scroll back to the top

very needs-suiting

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
gently caress yeah just got the analog-to-digital converter on my arduino working in rust

suck it cppailures

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Wheany posted:

i'll see your custom laggy scrolling code and raise you custom laggy scrolling code with a weird jump when the header is almost out of view and gets replaced with a fixed narrowed header

infinite scrolling that lets you see two screens worth and then throws up a translucent overlay demanding you register

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Sweevo posted:

infinite scrolling that lets you see two screens worth and then throws up a translucent overlay demanding you register
               /

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sweevo posted:

lmao pinterest is the worst for this since their pages get so high up the google results

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
pinterest: ruining google image search since 2010

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

gonadic io posted:

gently caress yeah just got the analog-to-digital converter on my arduino working in rust

suck it cppailures

how hard is it to get rust running on an arduino. i just found an old arduino and a breadboard and some crap in a drawer when i was cleaning and this sounds fun because my brain is broken

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

fart simpson posted:

how hard is it to get rust running on an arduino. i just found an old arduino and a breadboard and some crap in a drawer when i was cleaning and this sounds fun because my brain is broken

plain code running, not too difficult.

then you have the choice of linking against the arduino libraries, linking against ASF, or writing everything yourself (translating the source of the arduno libraries).

this person started linking c libraries like libsam: http://hannobraun.de/embedded/
i went with 3: https://github.com/djmcgill/to-the-moon because i hate myself

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
this is probably the best resource though just to get started on an arduino zero: https://github.com/japaric/cortex-m-template

(the AVR processors is an entirely different story though, don't bother imo)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the zero isn't avr? i think mine is

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

fart simpson posted:

the zero isn't avr? i think mine is

Nah, zeros (and mkrzero and mkr1000) are all arm32.

Uno and due etc are AVR

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

react, typescript, and .net core in visual studio is seriously own zone. god help you if you use razor for anything more complex than making GBS threads a few static elements and script tags into the page.

why in the world would you ever use javascript for page generation when you don't have to?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you are using javascript at all for anything other than like form validation or maybe injecting new content from a razor partial, you are doing things wrong.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

gonadic io posted:

Nah, zeros (and mkrzero and mkr1000) are all arm32.

Uno and due etc are AVR

i think mine is uno. so it's not worth it?

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i don't really like razor

like i might even prefer webforms over it

e: actually this is biased because our webforms app has a pretty extensive quality of life improvement framework built around it

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

fart simpson posted:

i think mine is uno. so it's not worth it?

You need a fork of gcc, a fork of llvm,and a fork of rustc

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i hate computers

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

tef posted:

i hate computers

me 2

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

tef posted:

i hate computers

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

tef posted:

i hate computers

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

why cant this dang linker find this dang library

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Razor is really good unless you're doing js single-page apps.

loving lol if you're doing js single-page apps

• Locked thread