Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
Those evil Funnel web bastards can survive up to 36 hours at the bottom of a pool. Fortunately the Tree dwelling Funnelweb preys on baby Drop bear spawn.

Seriously... We have freaking huge spiders that kill you in trees.

And to prove how stuff you we are... The Sydney basin is basically the home of every drat poisonous thing In Australia that will kill you. And they knowingly inserted a colony of Rejects and criminals there.

And you wonder why Aussies are gloriously mad bastards....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
So...

gently caress. YOU.

Talk about butchered

Not that difficult to remove truth be told - but very time consuming and fiddly.

Well the big problem is out. Time to put the replacement harness back in and also while I'm at it get rid of the sound deadening / firewall deadening

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 4, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I appreciate that they've colour coded the bodge work, though.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah. Reeeeal nice of them.

Anyway....

Given this will be either a track or a a very rarely used road WRX, the firewall sound deadening is gooooooooone

Replacement harness laid out

Rear section

Given this is a 96, I dont need airbags or the wiring.

Annnnnd away we go!

Annnnnnd I hit a couple of problems.....

1) Steering column connections are of course wrong. That's no biggie, the steering column in the engine bay is correct so I'll switch them over

2) I have no idea where the fuse box mounts to. I *think* there's a bolt under the dash or I'm missing a stray mount. I'll have to figure that one out.

3) The idiots who did the wiring for some god knows reason put in the wiring for a LIBERTY to the rear and redid all the connections. So this means I cant just join up, I have to revert the whole rear of the car back to a standard harness as well

Okay, I'm a bit annoyed at that one.

4) Door connections are different between a 96 and a 99. A bit of a surprise but that just means I go check the other doors I have. If nothing connects... eh. I can find the right wiring with no real problem.

5) O2 and gearbox wiring is different connections. I know the butchered the O2, I'll just need to find the right plugs for the gearbox.

Next thing to find - a 1999 WRX turbo. I think they are a TD04 so that shouldnt be too hard.

What a PITA. Still the best way to get this thing running again of course and I know what I need to get. And also what I need to look at.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You've probably already posted this but what do you use to remove insulation / sound deadening?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CharlesM posted:

You've probably already posted this but what do you use to remove insulation / sound deadening?

Usually by hand and a lot of swearing. I'm sure there's a better way for the woolen insulation. Fortunantly the firewall is rubber matting with a backing of woolish stuff not glued to the firewall so a craft knife and just cut to reduce the size.

The tar stuff is best removed via the dry ice method.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Never fear, I'll slyly fit the fuse box while he is not looking.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

You know quite well that leave it alone for long enough, the spiders will get bored and do it for shits and giggles

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Man the spiders in Australia fix your car for you if you abandon it long enough?

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 6, 2017

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
This may explain why our work Hiace keeps on keepin' on. 1.3 million k's and counting (this is a low estimate). So many Larry's running across the windscreen. We also have given up on clearing out the webs from where the windscreen meets the dash, live and let live right? Protip: if you want a Hiace to handle better in the wet, put a pallet of Coopers Green in the back. loving glued to the road. Have not tried with Red.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I think all you need to fix a hi ace is a bag of concrete in the back. I'm sure two slabs would make a difference let alone a full pallet of the stuff. Red should make it slower I guess while orange should be faster

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

As a teaser...

Bigger intake Restrictor means way more powers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HN0cRQqU8Z8

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
How big are you guys up to? Here they recently changed it so that you can run 34mm with unrestricted boost, or 36mm with a limit of 2.5 bar absolute.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

We do it smarter. Run as much boost as you want but you get PUMP 98ROM for a 36 or E85 / race grade 98RON for 34. Wanna run 40psi? Sure. It'll go bang but knock yourself out.

Red WRX wagon update time -

Ran a VIN history to see it's history. Highlights -

- Originally registered in Victoria in 1995
- First written off in 2001
- SECOND write off June 2010, major front damage (I had already worked out it had a fairly big front end hit in the past)
- Status of Inspected NSW Nov 2010. Which if I have this right it was inspected and re-registered in NSW.

This is good. This means that while the car has a red flag of a repairable writeoff (twice???) it was inspected and removed from the register which means I dont have to go through the PITA process of inspections that are now the law in NSW... IF you even are allowed to do the repairs in the first place. It's fairly draconian to bring a repiarable writeoff back on the road in this state. So all it has is that it's noted it's not registered but last rego was NSW.

I can deal with dis.

(written off twice???)

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Do you think it was the same P plater both times or a different P plater each time?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ferremit posted:

Do you think it was the same P plater both times or a different P plater each time?

Not wrapped around a pole so unlikely to be a P Plater. The second hit looks to be just drove into the back of another car.

Probably someone then did a repair / dodgy abeit legal sale. My guess is the next owner delighted in the cheap WRX blew the motor and then tried the illfated B4 swap.

(Two writeoffs? Seems I got another car with a interesting backstory. How the gently caress do I keep doing that?)

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Well I assume the price you're getting these basket cases for is a factor...

I've been looking around at the idea of a cheap project, and a running, ridiculously high mileage(300+) GC8 with a PO fuckery score of 11 is going to run about 4k. Haven't seen anything unrego'd but repairable for a while but even then a clean shell/dead motor would probably fetch 2-3k. And I consider that pretty drat cheap for something that can be made to go pretty fast that isn't super prone to rust (in WA).

Rego'd running S13s are around the same price now so that's probably driving prices down a bit. But I assume the problem children you're adopting are going for somewhat less than that.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Don Dongington posted:

Well I assume the price you're getting these basket cases for is a factor...

I've been looking around at the idea of a cheap project, and a running, ridiculously high mileage(300+) GC8 with a PO fuckery score of 11 is going to run about 4k. Haven't seen anything unrego'd but repairable for a while but even then a clean shell/dead motor would probably fetch 2-3k. And I consider that pretty drat cheap for something that can be made to go pretty fast that isn't super prone to rust (in WA).

Interesting I see a few GC8's going for more like 1500. Just when the insanity started the first GC8 I posted about was 2K and the guy got that for 1700 - we got it working in a blink. Are you on any Facebook for sale groups? Theres some Subaru specific ones that have loads of options and prices.

Looking through the report again - One of the writeoffs has a interesting status - Refer to Jurisiction.

This *might* refer to stolen / recovered and given it was in 2001 AND this WRX was a 1995 aka easy to steal...... quite possible it was used as a ram raid car?

Also confirmed I can register the car again for rod use if I want. I kinda thought it was a write-off and I was doing the check to make sure it wasnt stolen, which it's not so... what d I do with it? Motorsport or restore?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

We do it smarter. Run as much boost as you want but you get PUMP 98ROM for a 36 or E85 / race grade 98RON for 34. Wanna run 40psi? Sure. It'll go bang but knock yourself out.

Pointless nerd sperging here, but I don't know that that's "smarter" per se, though certainly easier to tech. The problem in my mind is that having fuel octane related limits on boost opens the door for all sorts of WRC style anti-detonation solutions adding a competitive advantage, whereas the engine I saw built to the US style 2.5 bar boost limit was nice and simple, albeit using MS109E for fuel, and made 320 horsepower and 400 ft/lbs at the wheels, not flywheel.

I mean, it'd be silly to build a full house WRC spec engine for ... almost anything funded by one's own pocket... but shoveling money does get you a competitive advantage one way vs. the other.

Speaking of silly, it annoys me how it's essentially impossible to get a GC Impreza without rust holes in my area for less than about $5k.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
No facebook groups, just gumtree so far. Might check that out if I ever get serious. Also Perth generally costs more for everything so there's that too.

Ram raid or just joy ride? That was around the time when crook locks and immobilizers really took off, as anything remotely fast and not well protected was being pinched, driven hard and put away torched - I'm fairly sure that's when the phrase "drive it like you stole it" came about.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

mekilljoydammit posted:

Pointless nerd sperging here, but I don't know that that's "smarter" per se, though certainly easier to tech. The problem in my mind is that having fuel octane related limits on boost opens the door for all sorts of WRC style anti-detonation solutions adding a competitive advantage, whereas the engine I saw built to the US style 2.5 bar boost limit was nice and simple, albeit using MS109E for fuel, and made 320 horsepower and 400 ft/lbs at the wheels, not flywheel.

I mean, it'd be silly to build a full house WRC spec engine for ... almost anything funded by one's own pocket... but shoveling money does get you a competitive advantage one way vs. the other.

There's just no gettting around what you can do on pump fuel - no amount of trickery is going to stop the A/F going into piston meltdown zone. And there's also no denying that pump fuel just does not have the consistency of race fuel (even 98RON race fuel) so you HAVE to have a safety margin. When they say pump fuel they literally mean comes out of the hose at a regular service station. You cant work your way around that.

KB's car is 22psi, 158Kw ATW and a derived 622NM ATW, 36mm restrictor and BP 98 pump fuel with a good safety margin. Probaby can get more but the car is so drat heavy the brakes are crying enough.

Don Dongington posted:

No facebook groups, just gumtree so far. Might check that out if I ever get serious. Also Perth generally costs more for everything so there's that too.

Ram raid or just joy ride? That was around the time when crook locks and immobilizers really took off, as anything remotely fast and not well protected was being pinched, driven hard and put away torched - I'm fairly sure that's when the phrase "drive it like you stole it" came about.

Def check Facebook groups. I can swing a few in your direction if you want to look about.

Dunno if it's a ram raid or joyride, I think we'll never know unless we find it's original rego.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

There's just no gettting around what you can do on pump fuel - no amount of trickery is going to stop the A/F going into piston meltdown zone. And there's also no denying that pump fuel just does not have the consistency of race fuel (even 98RON race fuel) so you HAVE to have a safety margin. When they say pump fuel they literally mean comes out of the hose at a regular service station. You cant work your way around that.

KB's car is 22psi, 158Kw ATW and a derived 622NM ATW, 36mm restrictor and BP 98 pump fuel with a good safety margin. Probaby can get more but the car is so drat heavy the brakes are crying enough.

One of the tricks they pulled on the WRC motors was bronze rings at the top of the cylinder to pull heat away from the combustion chamber faster; yeah you won't be able to get to WRC boost/compression levels due to that they were running better fuel, but it'll help. Ion sensing ignition with an ECU that can look at it can look at cylinder pressure traces each ignition event and keep things right at tickling detonation levels (you can *see* detonation onset before it's dangerous that way) and you can use oil squirters to do a lot of interesting tricks with keeping piston crown temperatures down... and that's just off the top of my head.

I mean you could argue it's pointless spending for stuff less than world championship level and I'd agree, but I know of a bloke who had about a $10M development program to win the national championship race in a clubby circuit race class here in the states, for the glory of a plastic trophy and his name in the record book... and it was just one of the three classes he was running in.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Actually the bronze ring is a fire ring on the Subi motor as the bores walk even when they are closed deck.. 1.5 bar at 1500 rpm does that...we have a block with them integral in the block for the G4 ARC car that's in design stage.

It also happens to also pull some heat out.

Unfortunately we are basically a "Group A" formula for our modefied class (PRC or production RallyCar) so things like water injection are not allowed. Waterspray is and in a Subi it's essential to keep oil temps down. If Intake take goes over 45 deg the oil temp skyrockets. Even a hefty oil cooler won't stop this. If you keep the intake temp down then even the standard water/oil cooler keeps oil temps under control. The Spec C one does the job but we are going for a slightly larger one for insurance.

There are other ways to control oil temp, but I'm not letting on what we do ;)

The next task is getting some weight out of the car. In the 2006 Spec C conversion the car lost OVER 50kg and it's still pushing 1596kg ready to rally. I will hopefully post pics tomorrow if work isn't so insane... But currently even over length bolts and tape wrapping looms are being targeted in the weight loss..... There is also a 3 port boost controller to fit to solve the boost blip we have which is limiting power down low.

Mind you, if you turn into a 3l on tar at 3000 rpm in second and plant it the 4 wheel slide is HILARITY!

We also have found that apparently the front Discs are 13kg and the AP front rotor assembly is 13 LBS... So a hefty 6kg...... You may wonder why I mention this... Stay tuned....

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah, weird thing is that the "Open" class here is sort of WRC+, in that if you read the rules it lets you do things like cut off everything past the firewall and rear bulkhead and make new clips. I think it would actually be hilarious to build a car to the class if I had the cash and the championship weren't so much about trailering, because of little things like the fact that non-turbo engines don't actually have to have any sort of air restrictors. Fundamentally you could make something akin to a Metro 6R4, or worse, something with that layout powered by a 6L pushrod V8 with no restrictions at the same minimum weight as the turbo AWD things.

The Limited Open class they started a year or two back here sounds more like what you're talking about, with things being much closer to GrA.

You guys ever played with piston sprays and such? Sorry, I'll stop fishing. ;)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

mekilljoydammit posted:

One of the tricks they pulled on the WRC motors was bronze rings at the top of the cylinder to pull heat away from the combustion chamber faster; yeah you won't be able to get to WRC boost/compression levels due to that they were running better fuel, but it'll help. Ion sensing ignition with an ECU that can look at it can look at cylinder pressure traces each ignition event and keep things right at tickling detonation levels (you can *see* detonation onset before it's dangerous that way) and you can use oil squirters to do a lot of interesting tricks with keeping piston crown temperatures down... and that's just off the top of my head.

Pump fuel does put a huge limiter on that kind of stuff still. It's just not good or consistent enough to allow the run it to the ragged edge ideas to really work - the chances of contamination or just the inconsistencies of the fuel would be enough to hole your pistons double fast. Just as an example, just running a race brew 98 ROM is worth 20Kw just because you can tune to what you can expect. Batches of pump fuel do vary, race fuel doesnt. That's even keeping with BP 98, which is in general the most consistent and best pump fuel at present here.

Finally back from travelling, finally not making GBS threads my intestines out. Might even look at the wagon on Sunday

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

All the fuel in Australia is made by one of two companies and it's all the same.

The BP is best myth was dispelled a decade ago.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Laserface posted:

That's not true according to the dyno and how the cars are more likely to back off timing when you tank it with Shell. We have found BP 98 does produce the more consistent results. Especially on a heavy tank like the WRC one, the difference is there.

no comment on Caltex as it's not really that availible around here, Mobil 98 isnt used either. United.... well... anyone who races on that is on E85 and that def. has some batch differences.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
There's several caltex servo's in the mountains just not in the middle part so much. The valley heights BP is consistently the slowest to move price wise all of the time. They'll jump their price early then not drop it even though the rest of them are 20c a litre cheaper. Glenbrook and Emu Plains have 3 different Caltex servo's and I tend to fill up at one of them cause they are on the way home and always cheaper the Shell by a little

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have two Caltex and one BP within fuel light range of my house and the BP is always more expensive.

I mostly use Caltex 98.

Fun fact. Between Richmond and Springwood there is no 98 bowsers.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

There's several caltex servo's in the mountains just not in the middle part so much. The valley heights BP is consistently the slowest to move price wise all of the time. They'll jump their price early then not drop it even though the rest of them are 20c a litre cheaper. Glenbrook and Emu Plains have 3 different Caltex servo's and I tend to fill up at one of them cause they are on the way home and always cheaper the Shell by a little

Oh yeah I keep forgetting about the Glenbrook Caltex. Mainly because I make a point of not using it due to an rear end in a top hat on the register telling me I had to leave a 10 grand road bike outside while I grabbed some water. Ummm, no. gently caress you.

quote:

Fun fact. Between Richmond and Springwood there is no 98 bowsers.

Well there's not like there's much else between those two other than Yarramundi, a very fun road if you dont have traffic and a place whose name in Aboriginal means "Burns the gently caress down every ten years"

Wait, how many Mountains Goons are there??? This thread seems to keep digging them up

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 31, 2017

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I'm in dural but working in Springwood a lot lately so I get to drive The Fun Road a few times a week. Been starting at 6am lately so there's been no traffic. :getin:

Here's one I prepared earlier.
https://youtu.be/hkxSucFA1C8

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Laserface posted:

All the fuel in Australia is made by one of two companies and it's all the same.

Tell that to the dyno guys and my Ducati. Caltex varies a lot more and when I had to use it at WRC the car was dialing back the ignition.

I always take the STI to Springwood as they are friendly. Caltex glenbrook is always expensive.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Laserface posted:

I'm in dural but working in Springwood a lot lately so I get to drive The Fun Road a few times a week. Been starting at 6am lately so there's been no traffic. :getin:

Here's one I prepared earlier.
https://youtu.be/hkxSucFA1C8

What on earth would have you working at Springwood???

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My org bought a business and we are refitting it. I am the computer side of the business.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Compared to the upper mountains glenbrook tends to be the same as emu plains and valley heights doesn't do normal 91 only e10. The bp servos at wenty and Katoomba are owned by the same guys and the one at wenty doesn't do e10 so their 91 is always the same price as e10 at Katoomba

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Finally able to do some work on this constellation of Subarus I have....

Forester

Ummmm.... that's bad

Looks like it's blown an O-Ring. PITA but fixable

Liberty

These things are even bigger pricks to airbleed than turbo cars.

I've heard the H6 is a very small motor but this kinda brings it home. It's barely bigger than the 2 litre..... Hmmmmmmmmm.

Also interesting that the wiring is very comact. Hmmmm

96 WRX

Working out what wiring I need fo rthe doors

Have you heard Sydney has been a bit wet....?

JFC WHAT THE HELL????? What the hell is growing in this drat car????

Yeah poo poo's humid.

I'm going to go take a poo poo

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I haven't had a car go mouldy but pretty much anything stored outside has been. The lawnmower handle looks similar to your steering wheel.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

*sigh* And I was doing soooooo well.

Yeah, you can guess what this means.

Pics coming.

Edit : I was going to say "You wont believe this..." buuuut....... The insane track record of this loving thread says it's entirely too easy to believe

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 4, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What I can't believe is that you refuse to offset the purchase of these pancake motored knockfests by sending me excess parts in the mail for free.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

How the gently caress does a bottom radiator hose just fall off???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I'd say ask my LS400, but it's most likely part of a Chinese bridge now, having been cubed after said bottom hose dumped coolant all over the road and warped the heads before I even noticed the temp was up.

Please tell me it wasn't the spec b.