Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Oh poo poo, a new Rick & Morty episode released on April 1st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Palpek posted:

well that explains why nobody was around to sticky the thread

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Gonna go take a dump.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I'm replaying the old Mass Effects right now and I noticed that I don't have the Arrival and Overlord DLCs for ME2. Are they any good? They are still kinda expensive for a game this old.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Popelmon posted:

I'm replaying the old Mass Effects right now and I noticed that I don't have the Arrival and Overlord DLCs for ME2. Are they any good? They are still kinda expensive for a game this old.

Overlord is pretty good and has a nice callback in 3. Whether it's worth the money is up to you.

Arrival is another example of Bioware putting plot relevant stuff in DLC. It is pretty bad in both gameplay and writing, but what happens in it is relevant to the overarching story.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Palpek posted:

It's like forgetting your birthday as a kid and then getting an amazing gift out of nowhere

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The snake in Snake Pass looks like the chillest motherfucker

His name is Noodle and he so is! :D

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Popelmon posted:

Overlord is pretty good, Arrival is simply okay. It's meant to bridge the gap between ME2 -> ME3 but honestly you can just read a summary of it in like 30 seconds since the entire DLC is just one prolonged solo mission.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/Dauragon/status/849074926791385089

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I didnt see it discussed previously but TotalBiscuit and Jim Sterling recently made a trip to Valve to discuss Steam in general and Greenlight and Direct in particular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1OyenZvskc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeEyCYv_QDI

As TB and JS mention several times, everything they discussed was in various stages if development and it's impossible to say when and if the changes will make it to release.
Here's some highlights:
  • Valve knows there's an issue with garbage flooding Steam, and refer to asset flips, Unit-Z reuploads, and other low-effort unplayable garbage as "fake games" internally
  • Fake games make their money off of the Steam trading card market, and changes are coming to that system to make it harder for fake games to make money
  • Valve wants it to remain very easy for games to get on Steam because they want to be "surprised"
  • Nobody at Valve knew that VNs were popular until they started selling like hotcakes through Greenlight
  • Direct should make it a little harder for games to come out, but it sounds as if they're focusing on more robust suggestion features that would make it impossible to find a fake game unless you are specifically looking for one
  • A planned "Steam Explorers" system by which individuals can get incentives and rewards for playing titles that aren't receiving a lot of attention
  • Enhancements such as video embedding for Steam curator lists

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 4, 2017

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Eh, the plan to can Steam Greenlight gets a green light from me, but replacing it with "explorers" doesn't sound so convincing. To begin with, wasn't the problem in that scammers were abusing user moderation systems to their own end? That doesn't sound like they have done anything to stop the potential abuse. Get some actual moderators and pay them, Valve.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

replace greenlight with a link to kickstarter

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

definitely a good idea to rely on such trustworthy people as total "the frame rate police" biscuit instead of just giving a poo poo and hiring some people to do the job of upkeep on their marketplace they make bank on

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

we brought in an abuser and a man who styles himself as a nazi to ask why bad games are getting through a weak system

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

life is a crippling nightmare but I got Persona 5 today

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

oddium posted:

we brought in an abuser and a man who styles himself as a nazi to ask why bad games are getting through a weak system

Jim Sterling has been one of the most outspoken critics of the Greenlight system and it makes sense that if Valve wants to reach an audience that has concerns with Greenlight they'd invite the YouTube Steam Greenlight man.

That said the fascist gimmick should have died in 2016.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

All of Valve's games make money thanks to user-genrated content. All of Steam's gimmicks cater to people generating content for it. Valve will never drop that concept and not having to pay anybody is an even greater incentive for them.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Dr Cheeto posted:

Jim Sterling has been one of the most outspoken critics of the Greenlight system and it makes sense that if Valve wants to reach an audience that has concerns with Greenlight they'd invite the YouTube Steam Greenlight man.

That said the fascist gimmick should have died in 2016.

https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/843925785652187137

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdiCBLiGkaA

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

I've probably been spending too much time reading C-SPAM but the thumbnail for this video (which I did not watch) looks like 9/11 is in the ((Jewish Conspirator)) punctuation.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
:psyduck:

i give up, i accept the official title of Old because i have no loving clue what any of this is about, i'm unwilling to put forth the effort to change that, and i'd be glad of it if these bastards just got off my internet lawn and found somewhere else to play

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://syriangames.tumblr.com/archive

Long before Bulletstorm, pirates were putting Duke Nukem in unrelated shootmans games

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dude you only have to glance at the news to realise fascism and extreme right politics is on the rise pretty much everywhere in the world right now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hello everyone how is Persona 5

Is it amazing

I want to play it, why isn't it Friday :smith:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The snake in Snake Pass looks like the chillest motherfucker

VideoGames posted:

His name is Noodle and he so is! :D

Don't get suckered in by the coral snake!

The Colonel posted:

golden sun was obsolete the moment mario & luigi superstar saga was released

Speaking of which, I saw this thing yesterday which could easily turn out to be filled to the brim with bad monkeycheese but does look vaguely interesting.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/04/03/trailer-goofy-rpg-knuckle-sandwich-details-monster-catching-activities/

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

well it was always my intention to dress as charlie chaplin and i turn around and wouldn't you know it this "für-rer" is all the rage

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Harrow posted:

Is it amazing

It's cool but pretty loving dark and has serious poo poo to say in a way I wouldn't have expected coming off of 3+4

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Harrow posted:

Is it amazing

Realistically speaking I'm probably not going to be able to get to it for a couple of months, and that's kind of a bummer.

My gaming goals for 2017 as of now are: Nier, MGSV, Persona 5, and hopefully Zelda. The reason it's not more more recent affair is that I still have plenty of backlogged stuff that will get slotted in there, this year is kind of an anomaly in that I'm playing relatively recent stuff again.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

oddium posted:

well it was always my intention to dress as charlie chaplin and i turn around and wouldn't you know it this "für-rer" is all the rage

To be fair, he started the show years ago while still working for the Escapist. So that was, what, five years ago? Time flies.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

It's cool but pretty loving dark and has serious poo poo to say in a way I wouldn't have expected coming off of 3+4

I remember 3 being pretty dark, but not necessarily in the "has serious things to say about real life" way, so if that's where 5 goes, I'm actually kind of excited for that. I'm not too sure how much it's gonna clash with the cartoon cat but I'm also generally down with cartoon swashbuckling cats so it's a win-win, really.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Stux posted:

definitely a good idea to rely on such trustworthy people as total "the frame rate police" biscuit instead of just giving a poo poo and hiring some people to do the job of upkeep on their marketplace they make bank on

Do the Frame Rate Police actually write up Visual Novels that get released on Steam now? Like old rear end or current Visual Novels that don't actually...have...much movement to them in the first place?

"Ma'am we're gonna need you to pull over to the side of the road and show us some identification you were going way too slow on a 60 FPS road do you know that?"

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i don't think jim sterling is a nazi or that he dresses like a nazi to attract nazi viewers. but it's funny to point out that he dresses like a nazi

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

My advice to him would be to not dress as a nazi

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

My advice to him would be to not dress as a nazi

Yeah I feel like ditching the association now would be worth whatever brand recognition is lost in the process.

It's not like he doesn't have other costumes he wears sometimes, just "promote" one of those to the main one or something. Go with that plague doctor mask or something.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
q does anyone have a screenshot of mikleo and sorey doing that forearm dap thing they do? i don't have zestiria installed atm, a storm killed my internet again so i'm using tethering with limited data so installing it is right out, and searching for it returns... well, everything you would expect searching for two close male characters who the game's director has hinted at them being gay to return

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There's something very musical about it. I like the rhythm of it like the rhythm of David Mamet dialogue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFpZtN1ySs0

I love everything about this game so much and wish I lived in a world where it was a hit and had a thriving multiplayer. :(

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"I just don't see any way around it. If I'm going to have a popular online series of videogame reviews, I'm obviously going to have to dress like a Nazi!"

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The only reason why Jim Sterling dresses like a Nazi is because a black unifrom looks pretty good on a fat guy.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Jim Sterling fat jokes? I did nazi that coming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Do the Frame Rate Police actually write up Visual Novels that get released on Steam now? Like old rear end or current Visual Novels that don't actually...have...much movement to them in the first place?

"Ma'am we're gonna need you to pull over to the side of the road and show us some identification you were going way too slow on a 60 FPS road do you know that?"

• Locked thread