Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Bongo Bill posted:

Strategically, how would one start a programmers' union in the US?

Convince people without autism to take over the industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

revmoo posted:

The suits already control the industry though.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

revmoo posted:

A start-up with VC funding for "a disruptive approach to employer's rights"

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

DigitalRaven posted:

A start-up with VC funding for "a disruptive approach to employer's rights"

Just imagine having a royalty on the employment of all tech workers.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I spent my entire career in the US until last year when I moved to Sweden. I don't mind getting paid less because my quality of life is the same. I enjoy that I won't get fired tomorrow for being sick. The 3 month notice period is interesting, but depends on the company culture. No one in my company is in a union, but we are still a startup. That's my story.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

leper khan posted:

Just imagine having a royalty on the employment of all tech workers.

If you'll all excuse me, I have to move to the Bay Area and hire a bunch of techbros.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
Maciej Ceglowski, in addition to shittalking il douche on twitter as @pinboard and running pinboard, has a thing called Tech Solidarity. https://techsolidarity.org/ . It's actually named after Solidarnosc, so that should tell you what he thinks it is.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

curufinor posted:

Maciej Ceglowski, in addition to shittalking il douche on twitter as @pinboard and running pinboard, has a thing called Tech Solidarity. https://techsolidarity.org/ . It's actually named after Solidarnosc, so that should tell you what he thinks it is.

I don't see how this feeds into my god-complex one bit.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Makeout Patrol posted:

Hi, I'm the guy who's perfectly confident that I'm going to be receiving a paycheck in two weeks from my 20-person company that has less than $200K in the bank

I'm pretty sure this exact situation happened about a month ago when the official word was someone "forgot" to pay the insurance bill and transfer the payroll money and we were paid 2 days late and had a 5 day lock on insurance payouts. :shepicide:

I "forgot" why I still worked there and applied to about 10 different positions later that evening and I'm working on scheduling second and third interviews with a few prospects.

Tactical Shitpost
Jun 13, 2016
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/03/25/bay-area-tech-executives-indicted-for-h-1b-visa-fraud/:

quote:

An indictment from a federal grand jury unsealed on Friday accuses Jayavel Murugan, Dynasoft Synergy’s chief executive officer, and a 40-year-old Santa Clara man, Syed Nawaz, of fraudulently submitting H-1B applications in an effort to illegally obtain visas, according to Brian Stretch, U.S. attorney for the Northern District of California. The men are charged with 26 counts of visa fraud, conspiracy to commit visa fraud, use of false documents, mail fraud and aggravated identity theft, according to prosecutors. Each charge can carry penalties of between two and 20 years in prison.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

"Dynasoft Synergy"

I bet that'll win you a bingo somewhere

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

That's nice, we actually indicted someone for this.

Of course it was a rando low level outsourcing firm instead of a large company that would have actually sent a message, but it's the thought that counts.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Who else pulls out their hair at the equivalent of

if( something ) {
return true;
} else {
return false;
}

I don't do a couple code reviews, and it's littering the codebase now.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Gounads posted:

Who else pulls out their hair at the equivalent of

if( something ) {
return true;
} else {
return false;
}

I don't do a couple code reviews, and it's littering the codebase now.

This bothers me to no end. It's an indication of a fundamental lack of understanding of what a Boolean is, and what is going on inside of an IF clause.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

That is bad. I guess I should be grateful our code disagreements are whether

code:
if (someBooleanVariable)
is strictly preferred to
code:
if (someBooleanVariable == true)

and whether ! or == false are more or less readable.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Clanpot Shake posted:

That is bad. I guess I should be grateful our code disagreements are whether

code:
if (someBooleanVariable)
is strictly preferred to
code:
if (someBooleanVariable == true)

and whether ! or == false are more or less readable.

should just be:
code:

return someBoolean;

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I probably should have been clearer, but I meant in the context of "if condition do this stuff, else do this other stuff," not as a return value.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Oh, Clanpot hit on it, the reason they did it that way is because of poo poo like this when calling the function...

if (func() === true)

Hit a variation minutes later:

return aVal != null ? bVal != null ? "Hello World" : null

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Clanpot Shake posted:

I probably should have been clearer, but I meant in the context of "if condition do this stuff, else do this other stuff," not as a return value.

Sure, it's not so cut and dry there, but even then, doing isTrue == true is redundant. That is implicitly what the IF statement is doing already. Would you find (((isTrue == true) == true) == true) helpful?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Ban if statements is the solution. Pattern matching will save your soul.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Skandranon posted:

Sure, it's not so cut and dry there, but even then, doing isTrue == true is redundant. That is implicitly what the IF statement is doing already. Would you find (((isTrue == true) == true) == true) helpful?

And that's the debate. I personally don't give a poo poo, but some people on our team think it's weird we have if (condition) and if (condition == false) but not if (condition == true)

necrobobsledder posted:

Please do not pattern match on simple booleans :negative:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

But what if its a "bool?"?

The universe can be simplified into one of two results: yes, no, and null.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

necrobobsledder posted:

IME you end up with case statements until you refactor into functions

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Truthiness is a blight.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Polio Vax Scene posted:

But what if its a "bool?"?

Option

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Lol our stash license expired today. Pushing is disabled.

A fortune 500 enterprise business everybody.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We use a few apps that make it very clear when they are within 30 days of license expiration which I always thought was a bit tacky but it might help in that kind of case.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

smackfu posted:

We use a few apps that make it very clear when they are within 30 days of license expiration which I always thought was a bit tacky but it might help in that kind of case.

We upload certs to an s3 bucket and a script pulls all daily and sends out louder and liouder emails the closer they are to expiring. I've still seen certs expire.

Hell apple had their game center certs expire for almost a week two years back so it's not just us.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Hughlander posted:

We upload certs to an s3 bucket and a script pulls all daily and sends out louder and liouder emails the closer they are to expiring. I've still seen certs expire.

Hell apple had their game center certs expire for almost a week two years back so it's not just us.

How does this happen? Isn't there a single person responsible for this?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

lifg posted:

How does this happen? Isn't there a single person responsible for this?

In our case there's a company wide certs alias and then it's forwarded to the PO of the product to get assigned.

Since the certs are baked into server deployments it's a considered a code change.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Hughlander posted:

In our case there's a company wide certs alias and then it's forwarded to the PO of the product to get assigned.

Since the certs are baked into server deployments it's a considered a code change.

Ah, that makes sense. I didn't consider deployment. I can see that happening at my job too, a story is put on the backlog and yada yada yada a month has gone by.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Gildiss posted:

I thought the license was per number of seats available (ours is at least, though we're small). We only have a year of updates though unless we renew.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

geeves posted:

I thought the license was per number of seats available (ours is at least, though we're small). We only have a year of updates though unless we renew.

I have no idea.

I only know that every single day our automated processes fail or crash from builds, deploys, servers, everything.
Not very automatic if you have to manually fix it every single day.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Gildiss posted:

I do not understand paying for Stash in a world where Gitlab exists.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

revmoo posted:

I can understand anyone's trepidation to switch to a service that just suffered a self-inflicted major outage, though I do applaud their transparency and response.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

revmoo posted:

Because JIRA and Confluence are stupidly popular in bad companies with more money than sense. However, most such companies are paying out the rear end for Github enterprise instead and their users are grateful for it every day.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Confluence is certainly better than Sharepoint.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I've been working in development for a few months now (love it) but I noticed that programmers, at least the ones I interact with, tend to use phrasing like "oh yeah, I'm a dumbass" and various other self-insults a lot. I think it's pretty annoying as these people are clearly not stupid, and it's just self-defeating for nothing, pessimism and focusing on the negative. I hate it. Anybody else see this trend/feel this way? Should i just chill out and it's just a turn of phrase, or a window into a problematic part of working in dev?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Programming is only possible because we proactively accommodate human fallibility. The statement is only sarcastically a reflection of actual feelings of self-worth. It's important to acknowledge errors without ego.