Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I like how the Remnant drive core is two of the Remnant data nodes that you scan for 100 research points, stuck together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Taear posted:

Thanks for the enormous spoiler you huge bellend.

No worries? That's like the third story mission.

Also you'd think people would have played through HL2 by now.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 4, 2017

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

DancingShade posted:

Nah the kett just turn alien races into themselves or add bone plates as armor. Pretty mundane and basically the space darkspawn people already labelled them as.

The combine are more interesting because they're multidimensional (literally) and culturally subjugate as they modify various species for different uses.

Like combine troopers are pretty similar to modern SWAT / special forces in appearance and sound right down to the encrypted radio beeps. It's not until you see a schematic of their heads you realise how radically they've been altered. Then after listening to various people you realise that they probably volunteered for the procedures too.

Kett are just "stabbed you with mutagen now you're one of us lol" which has it's place, but it's definitely more of a dollar store copy if the dollar store was trying to save a buck.

I was going to say that the dystopic totalitarianism of City 17 and the Combine haven't gotten a fair shake in ME, but then I'd be totally forgetting the batarians. Man, why did we never get a frustrated freedom fighter batarian in any of the games? I'd have taken that over Kaiden or Ashley in ME3

Anyways. The kett are far and away less interesting and horrifying than anything that goes on in HL2. Thinking of it now, I think they really missed an opportunity to build a hub/setpiece area around a subjugated angaran city that's dystopic in ways that are apparent to the player and player character but that the angaran civilians are totally inured to. :sigh: Imagine if that would have been the intro to the kett instead of... whatever the hell we got.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

DancingShade posted:

Yeah if you're a do everything kind of person you can't finish ME:A that quickly unless you have a lot of free time. Hasn't been out for long yet.

Though it might be saying something that a higher percentage of people have platinummed Horizon than finished Mass Effect. I'm just going through my games and seeing how many people have actually finished them, which ironically is keeping me from finishing Horizon.

Only ~30% of people have finished The Last Guardian, which is sad because it's a beautiful game and really short, too.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

HaitianDivorce posted:

I was going to say that the dystopic totalitarianism of City 17 and the Combine haven't gotten a fair shake in ME, but then I'd be totally forgetting the batarians. Man, why did we never get a frustrated freedom fighter batarian in any of the games? I'd have taken that over Kaiden or Ashley in ME3

Anyways. The kett are far and away less interesting and horrifying than anything that goes on in HL2. Thinking of it now, I think they really missed an opportunity to build a hub/setpiece area around a subjugated angaran city that's dystopic in ways that are apparent to the player and player character but that the angaran civilians are totally inured to. :sigh: Imagine if that would have been the intro to the kett instead of... whatever the hell we got.

We got the best batarians in ME3 multiplayer. Unfortunately I think it was the last DLC and locked behind RNG lockboxes so they were pretty rare even then.

Love your idea for an angaran dystopian city under kett rule. Even better if you don't go in guns blazing but have to submit to security checkpoints and other demeaning things (pick up that can) as you go about your business.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Baron Corbyn posted:

Though it might be saying something that a higher percentage of people have platinummed Horizon than finished Mass Effect. I'm just going through my games and seeing how many people have actually finished them, which ironically is keeping me from finishing Horizon.

Only ~30% of people have finished The Last Guardian, which is sad because it's a beautiful game and really short, too.

That reminds me I need to get back into Nier. Holy poo poo that game is good and I can't play all the games at once.

First world problems :rip:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I think the Mass Effect serie try to be at the same time "realistic", with dangers that are bigger than life, mortal, but want to be at the same time optimist, human jingoist even (humans are the most flexible race!).

I think is the same balance the Avengers movie try to do. Too much optimism, and you have a goofy James Bond movie, too much drama and you get some sort of warhammer 40.000 (or something hard to watch like Black Mirror) and people avoid it

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

HaitianDivorce posted:

Kind of. There was a batarian in Garrus crew that was fighting for Omega but it really didn't get deeper then that.

Honestly kind of wish we got some side stories games, Garrus story line on Omega sounds fun as hell.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BexGu posted:

Kind of. There was a batarian in Garrus crew that was fighting for Omega but it really didn't get deeper then that.

Honestly kind of wish we got some side stories games, Garrus story line on Omega sounds fun as hell.

Batman Garrus was a very cool concept and one of the best recruitment missions in ME2.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

DancingShade posted:

Batman Garrus was a very cool concept and one of the best recruitment missions in ME2.

That Garrus has the initiative, drive and skill to go out and make it on his own really sold him in ME2 for me. I'm a sucker for games that create the illusion of a world that doesn't start and stop when the disk is in the console. That games all but say Garrus is almost as badass as Shepard and only never rises to that stature because he's in Shepard's orbit all the time.

I kinda thought something similar was going to happen in ME:A with the other Pathfinders. I remember I saw in an interview somewhere that they would "be addressed" and I was like, "Oh, cool, so it's not quite like you're going to be the only one out there exploring! You're gonna have other duders out there having their own adventures that'll get hinted at but the galaxy is too big for it to all be your problem!"

And then they just stand around Tann's office doing nothing :sigh:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

DancingShade posted:

We got the best batarians in ME3 multiplayer. Unfortunately I think it was the last DLC and locked behind RNG lockboxes so they were pretty rare even then.
Nah, the first Batarians were in the first DLC.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

RBA Starblade posted:

The lighting's kind of hosed on the Nexus huh? Turians are almost glowing sometimes and my character turned pale.

It truly is, and it's the reason Addison tends to look like a circus clown. When her model is somewhere else, like Prodromos, it looks better. Contrariwise, when Cora is at the victory party on Meridian in the epilogue she suddenly looks horrible.

Finished the game last night. The final mission sequence gives the game, much like Gryffindor, an extra five points. But it, just like the loyalty missions, also reinforces my previous assertion: open world is for the birds as a 'must-have' feature. I'd much rather a relatively small number of tightly scripted and directed set pieces than a massive 'spend twenty minutes hopping between systems to scan the next breadcrumb' crap. The movie night quest chain is a particularly egregious example of this.

Also, another 'millennial' facet that seems to peek through the game is that you can literally do no wrong. After I exiled the 'first murderer' guy, on the legal theory that an incompetent murderer is still a murderer, I ran into him in the slums at Kadara Port, and he thanked me for exiling him. Apparently in doing so, I'd help him reach self-actualization, improved his marriage, and blah blah blah.. Similarly, Director Tann called me up after me and the other Pathfinders hosed off to Meridian and tripped over his own tongue apologizing to me, he was wrong, I was right, blah blah blah. I mean, I'd understand if he'd said 'You disobeyed orders, and the fact that things worked out doesn't change that. Publically, we're in far too precarious a position to call you to task for this, but understand that we, the interim civilian leadership, now have a different understanding of the relationship between Nexus government and the Pathfinder, and I assure you, there will be consequences.' But, nope, I'm surprised I didn't get a certificate out of the deal.

That said, I did dig that Ryder wasn't just Shephard with the serial numbers filed off, and there really was character growth and evolution over the game. At the beginning, her team has no problem talking over her, coming to decisions while she stands there spluttering, and by the end, they'll follow her into Hell. That part was nice, and organic.

Said it before, say it again: a year of content freeze and diligent QA polishing, and this game would have been critically lauded. As is, flawed but enjoyable. Solid 7/10, and I don't regret preordering, sinking two weeks into it, or getting 85+% completion.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

HaitianDivorce posted:

I kinda thought something similar was going to happen in ME:A with the other Pathfinders. I remember I saw in an interview somewhere that they would "be addressed" and I was like, "Oh, cool, so it's not quite like you're going to be the only one out there exploring! You're gonna have other duders out there having their own adventures that'll get hinted at but the galaxy is too big for it to all be your problem!"

Liam engages in petty rogue diplomacy and espionage.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

HaitianDivorce posted:

That games all but say Garrus is almost as badass as Shepard and only never rises to that stature because he's in Shepard's orbit all the time.

I think it's said explicitly in the character dossiers that the Shadow Broker DLC has.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

HaitianDivorce posted:

That Garrus has the initiative, drive and skill to go out and make it on his own really sold him in ME2 for me. I'm a sucker for games that create the illusion of a world that doesn't start and stop when the disk is in the console. That games all but say Garrus is almost as badass as Shepard and only never rises to that stature because he's in Shepard's orbit all the time.

Now I really want a Krogan pathfinder who just lands on all of these beautiful tropical worlds and just spits on them, yelling they're too damned hospitable.

And then he gets back in his ship and tries to find a real krogan planet, one that's 80% volcano and covered in 50 story tall magma wyrms.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Baron Corbyn posted:

Horizon is a great game that you should definitely finish but it's also maybe the easiest thing to Platinum on PS4. The only thing that really requires anything beyond what you'd normally do over the course of the game is destroying all the Grazer dummies.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Burginator posted:

Now I really want a Krogan pathfinder who just lands on all of these beautiful tropical worlds and just spits on them, yelling they're too damned hospitable.

And then he gets back in his ship and tries to find a real krogan planet, one that's 80% volcano and covered in 50 story tall magma wyrms.

quote:

The plot of ME:A should have been the human ark showing up, then Ryder looks up and sees the Krogan ark cutting the human one off then you play as a Krogan and you and your squad of angry frogmen headbutt your way to prosperity. Dialogue options include headbutting, punching, shouting, and shooting.

Just imagine it, instead of the Not Mako you could drive that giant truck-thing from ME2 and 3 on Tuchanka. The plot could be about who's angrier and dumber, the new alien invaders, the hostile new worlds, or you. Tensions could appear from not being in Council space so shut the gently caress up, turian diploamt, we're going to do what we want and use all the cool weapons you said were probably war crimes, and resolved by either agreeing with the krogans or punching the diplomat and then agreeing with the krogans (the "paragon" option).

Krogan Effect would be a pretty good game, I think.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

HaitianDivorce posted:

Yeah Garrus got close to Shepard level but hosed up by pushing too hard and too fast with out fully thinking things through and basically got his whole crew killed in this thirst for justice/vengeance. It a great bit of character building that Garrus is just as badass Shepard but has a bit of a character flaw that prevents from going over the top. Like his whole story arch in ME2 was making amends and reconnecting with his family after ME2/start of ME3.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 4, 2017

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
At least the Pathfinders are distinct characters that add to the illusion of the world. When I went back and talked with them after getting them all together for the first time, I was thinking that Mass Effect should have done something similar with Spectres. Instead, you get Nihilus, killed by Saren, and after finding some evidence they just make you one instead of finding you another trainer to show you the ropes. Then Tela Vasir, who turns out to be working for the Shadow Broker.

Finally, in ME3 you meet a Salarian Spectre and he stands around in the Citadel, mostly, but at least he didn't turn out to be a bad guy.

Spectres were one of those things that sounded really cool at first, but their track record other than Shepard makes them seem stupid as gently caress.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Mass Effect 2's problem is it's missing a second act. It would've made collecting your guys much easier to accomplish in any order, and give you something to do with them before The Suicide Mission. Also a much better point to do the Loyalty Missions than taking detours on the way to our vitally-critical recruitment jobs.

It's still a fantastic game though.

When you say that, I almost feel like that second act should have been a team mission earlier in the game, which failed miserably due to lack of trust and team cohesion, to give you a reason to build up team loyalty and what not.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TheCenturion posted:

When you say that, I almost feel like that second act should have been a team mission earlier in the game, which failed miserably due to lack of trust and team cohesion, to give you a reason to build up team loyalty and what not.

"Where'd Zaeed and half of our credits go?"

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Horizon is a great game that you should definitely finish but it's also maybe the easiest thing to Platinum on PS4. The only thing that really requires anything beyond what you'd normally do over the course of the game is destroying all the Grazer dummies.

it surely can't be easier than FFXV?

And yeah, I'm getting back into it now. As much as I did actually enjoy ME:A despite its flaws, I regret putting Horizon aside for it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

TheCenturion posted:

You may have noticed that all the places Shepard visits to recruit party members in the first half of the game have the strange habit of blowing up or collapsing shortly after her arrival.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

RBA Starblade posted:

Krogan Effect would be a pretty good game, I think.

tbh I think I'm fine with a game where I just tell everyone to gently caress off and headbutt anyone dumb enough to not, uh, gently caress off.

Wait that's ME2

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

exquisite tea posted:

You may have noticed that all the places Shepard visits to recruit party members in the first half of the game have the strange habit of blowing up or collapsing shortly after her arrival.

"The formerly deceased Shepard is not a sign of gentle change."

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

TheCenturion posted:

It truly is, and it's the reason Addison tends to look like a circus clown. When her model is somewhere else, like Prodromos, it looks better. Contrariwise, when Cora is at the victory party on Meridian in the epilogue she suddenly looks horrible.

Finished the game last night. The final mission sequence gives the game, much like Gryffindor, an extra five points. But it, just like the loyalty missions, also reinforces my previous assertion: open world is for the birds as a 'must-have' feature. I'd much rather a relatively small number of tightly scripted and directed set pieces than a massive 'spend twenty minutes hopping between systems to scan the next breadcrumb' crap. The movie night quest chain is a particularly egregious example of this.

Also, another 'millennial' facet that seems to peek through the game is that you can literally do no wrong. After I exiled the 'first murderer' guy, on the legal theory that an incompetent murderer is still a murderer, I ran into him in the slums at Kadara Port, and he thanked me for exiling him. Apparently in doing so, I'd help him reach self-actualization, improved his marriage, and blah blah blah.. Similarly, Director Tann called me up after me and the other Pathfinders hosed off to Meridian and tripped over his own tongue apologizing to me, he was wrong, I was right, blah blah blah. I mean, I'd understand if he'd said 'You disobeyed orders, and the fact that things worked out doesn't change that. Publically, we're in far too precarious a position to call you to task for this, but understand that we, the interim civilian leadership, now have a different understanding of the relationship between Nexus government and the Pathfinder, and I assure you, there will be consequences.' But, nope, I'm surprised I didn't get a certificate out of the deal.

That said, I did dig that Ryder wasn't just Shephard with the serial numbers filed off, and there really was character growth and evolution over the game. At the beginning, her team has no problem talking over her, coming to decisions while she stands there spluttering, and by the end, they'll follow her into Hell. That part was nice, and organic.

Said it before, say it again: a year of content freeze and diligent QA polishing, and this game would have been critically lauded. As is, flawed but enjoyable. Solid 7/10, and I don't regret preordering, sinking two weeks into it, or getting 85+% completion.

I'm close to the end and I'd agree with most of this. The loyalty missions being so much better than the open world encounters really makes me want them to just ditch the open world exploring stuff next time (I know they won't) and just give us hub cities/outposts where we shuttle out to our missions. I'm hoping some of the side mission decisions you make have more of a ripple effect in later games. I get why they all ultimately end up with similar results because they painted themselves into some corners in the original trilogy and they're trying to avoid that problem this time, but it does take away from some of the weight in the decisions.

I thought Tann's reaction was fairly logical in that I've always read him as always erring on the safest option because he has never had the resources to risk, but he ultimately wants the initiative to succeed so he accepts that you were right and the safest course is now to back the Pathfinder in order to keep the initiative moving.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Baron Corbyn posted:

it surely can't be easier than FFXV?

And yeah, I'm getting back into it now. As much as I did actually enjoy ME:A despite its flaws, I regret putting Horizon aside for it.

Heh, I've been playing video games since the Atari 2600. I think FF 15 might be the only game, since the Xbox invented achievements as a standardized thing, that I've gotten the 'did everything' achievement. And that involved a rubber band around the analog sticks for several hours to build up Gladio's survival skill. It's certainly the only platinum trophy I have, on PS3, 4 or Vita. But FF15, every trophy except the skills and the two or three post-game trophies, you'll hit through playing normally, I think.

I beat FF1 when it was originally released. Never finished 6. Beat 7 (the original PC port put out by Eidos). Never finished 8, even though it's my favorite; 8 is the game I bought a PS1 for. I'd kill for a remaster. Beat 9. Beat 10. Didn't finish 10-2; it's not a game, it's an interactive checklist. Didn't finish 12 (though I'm looking forward to the remaster, I hope they redid the vocals so they don't sound like a bad VoIP connection due to overcompression.) Finished 13. Barely played 13-2, haven't even opened 13-3.

Whelp, done with ME:A, off to try HZD.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Dan Didio posted:

Nah, it's really, incredibly good. Best in the series by far.

Taken as itself sure, but I think it sets up ME3 to fail

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

fruit on the bottom posted:

Taken as itself sure, but I think it sets up ME3 to fail

That's ME3's failing.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
So I tried the multiplayer and it does not grab me at all. It kind of feels like everything lacks impact -- like, the sound effects and animations of a krogan headbut in ME3 are like a million times better than the same thing in ME:A.

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Skippy McPants posted:

The 47% on Portal Makes me super sad, though. I wonder if it's the result of people getting stuck on a particular puzzle.

Hilarious option:
They fell into the fire on that one level, went "Oh well", then played some TF2 instead.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pattonesque posted:

So I tried the multiplayer and it does not grab me at all. It kind of feels like everything lacks impact -- like, the sound effects and animations of a krogan headbut in ME3 are like a million times better than the same thing in ME:A.

It's not as good as the multiplayer in ME3 yeah.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TheCenturion posted:

"Team, I know that last shore leave really tested us all. We didn't bang nearly half the alien bitches that we could have and running that train resulted in Mordin losing his head knob and Miranda breaking her shoulder. Wrex, I don't think anybody appreciated what you did back there either, buddy. Maybe next time ask or at least check the mood of the room, all right?
Listen, I know we all have our reservations after what happened, Tali's definitely going to have to work overtime at regaining our trust and neither Jack nor Liara will speak to at least half of us, but we can't win this if we're not working together. We can't fight if we're not 100% in each other's grooves. So we have to trust. We have to fight FOR each other, not with each other.
We've had reports Jacob's dad set himself up as King in a brothel of retarded space babes, and Miranda's sister is being trafficked so hard her front suspension's going to need to be realigned. Tali's people are a bunch of loving idiots so we're gonna have to fix that gay robot poo poo they keep getting involved in, too, and Wrex, we're gonna get your fashion issues worked out, okay?
We all hosed up but now we're gonna help each other, because that's what family does, and because none of us can kill those collectors solo...*sigh* except maybe Garrus - yes Garrus, I know you're hardcore; you don't have to raise your hand, just let me finish speaking, please. Anyway, everybody, take a breath, breathe out and relax. Now let's get out there and bang, okay?"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

DancingShade posted:

No worries? That's like the third story mission.

Also you'd think people would have played through HL2 by now.

I don't play FPS games, I meant the spoiler for this game, the one everyone else is hiding. It doesn't matter that it's the third story mission - I'm 25 hours in and I've not done that yet and I'm sure that's the same for lots of people.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Taear posted:

I don't play FPS games, I meant the spoiler for this game, the one everyone else is hiding. It doesn't matter that it's the third story mission - I'm 25 hours in and I've not done that yet and I'm sure that's the same for lots of people.

I don't know what you're doing in this thread if you're still playing the single player for the first time. Smart goons went cold turkey on this thread for their entire first runs.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

:chanpop:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

TheCenturion posted:

Maybe Kai Leng is one of your early recruits, but he fucks off during a mission leaving the whole thing botched. Then, after you flip off Cerberus and blow up their prize, Illusive Man tracks down Leng by himself and hires him to get back at Shepard.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Touche.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Maybe Kai Leng is one of your early recruits, but he fucks off during a mission leaving the whole thing botched. Then, after you flip off Cerberus and blow up their prize, Illusive Man tracks down Leng by himself and hires him to get back at Shepard.

What if his bossfight abilities were based on how you spec'd him when he was on your team? That would be hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Suddenly I wonder if the little quest on the Tempest to track down who's been eating your cereal is a subtle reference to good old Kai Leng....