Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

That sort of depends on your definition of viable. I wouldn't be bringing them to tournaments, but you shouldn't be bringing anything but Zoodiacs to tournament. They function as an engine, certainly. Senerio plays them with Aquaactresses, and I run them in a Paleozoic Rank 2 engine (effectively Toadally turbo). They're sometimes used as a tribute engine, which is probably where the God card thing came from, but there are probably better.

MissileWaster posted:

I pulled a Toadally Awesome from a booster pack the other day. Are Frogs still viable? I have a friend who said he used to run them, seems like a fun/interesting deck if it's still decent. Also heard that it's a good deck for Egyptian God cards, it'd feel pretty good dropping Obelisk on my friend for stealing my Red-Eyes deck idea.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

AlphaKretin posted:

That sort of depends on your definition of viable. I wouldn't be bringing them to tournaments, but you shouldn't be bringing anything but Zoodiacs to tournament. They function as an engine, certainly. Senerio plays them with Aquaactresses, and I run them in a Paleozoic Rank 2 engine (effectively Toadally turbo). They're sometimes used as a tribute engine, which is probably where the God card thing came from, but there are probably better.

I'm not really thinking tournaments at this point yet. Maybe we'll hit up a local tournament in a few weeks when we've had enough time to figure out what our current cards do without having to read the descriptions every time.

There's a regionals down here in April, but it's way too soon to be thinking about that probably. Could be a fun experience, other than the paying money to get our asses kicked by cards we've never heard of part.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

MissileWaster posted:

I pulled a Toadally Awesome from a booster pack the other day. Are Frogs still viable? I have a friend who said he used to run them, seems like a fun/interesting deck if it's still decent. Also heard that it's a good deck for Egyptian God cards, it'd feel pretty good dropping Obelisk on my friend for stealing my Red-Eyes deck idea.

Yeah, it's a very good card, and it did see a significant ammount of competitive play, though competitively speaking, pretty much everything is taking a backseat to zoodiacs right now, though it can still do well at locals and get a top here and there at regionals in a good players hands. Though I should mention, it's more common to see Hero Decks that play it in conjunction with Bahamut Shark and Norden, also in Paliozoics, rather than actual pure frog builds.

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

MissileWaster posted:

A paleozoic frog deck did just top 32 YCS Seattle. They also occasionally popped up in Japan with zoodiac around. They don't have nearly the representation that zoodiac does though. Like 15 out of top 16 had zoodiacs in their deck.

I haven't played frog monarchs in awhile but it is a fun deck. It'll have some trouble against the top tier but at a local level you should hopefully be able to
have fun.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
^And Paleozoic frogs just won YCS Atlanta. They are still fairly competent, especially when people don't side properly to account for the mirror match (plus lost winds is an amazing card for the deck going against Zoodiacs)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
By the way, in case nobody else caught it, Baobaboon is getting released as a promo for the Raging Tempest Special Editions in a couple of weeks :stare: M-X-Saber Invoker turbo is go.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Duelist Saga comes out March 31, and there are a ton of reprints/imports in this set, including several ocg erratas (Rescue Cat is Confirmed), some newer support like Honesty Neos and Gozuki, several Number Monsters, and, perhaps most importantly, CRYSTAL LANCER AND DIAMOND DUST! It's been 5 YEARS Konami, took you guys long enough!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Apparently you can actually use tokens for link summon's. All hail goat meta.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

MiddleOne posted:

Apparently you can actually use tokens for link summon's. All hail goat meta.

Gofu is a 1-card Decode Talker without using your Normal Summon, and not even with any combo.

E: OK not DT specifically unless you go through two Link Spiders and either Link 2, but assuming a future wider range of Link Monsters, Link 3s in general.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 16, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://www.yugioh-card.com/en/limited/index.html

Forbidden:
Majespecter Unicorn – Kirin
The Tyrant Neptune
Vanity’s Emptiness

Limited:
Maxx “C”
Rescue Cat
Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
Brain Control
Future Fusion
Imperial Order

Semi-Limited:
Wisdom-Eye Magician
Zoodiac Ratpier
Interrupted Kaiju Slumber

Unlimited:
Sangan

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Thats pretty weak compared to the recent OCG banlist, isn't it?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm sorry, did Neptune get banned? :stare:

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm sorry, did Neptune get banned? :stare:

He's pretty bonkers with Independent Nightingale via Instant Fusion.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Charles Bukowski posted:

Thats pretty weak compared to the recent OCG banlist, isn't it?

The OCG made sure to kill Zoodiacs, to the point of severe overkill (just limiting Ratpier would've been enough). The TCG...lightly tapped them in the shoulder.

But hey, Stratos is still banned, that's what matters, wouldn't want such an overcentralizing and broken card in the game.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Wait, Brain Control? That didn't get errata, why are we getting that back?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

This is barely a banlist. This is just an excuse to finally release the errata'd cards in the TCG.

At least we finally got one though. :v:

Hjalmar posted:

Wait, Brain Control? That didn't get errata, why are we getting that back?

It did get errata. You can only take a monster that was normal summoned, IIRC?

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Oh. Well then.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

One face-up monster that can be Normal Summoned, not that necessarily was. So you can take a Pendulum Summoned Pendulum, but not a Fusion or Synchro.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
That was totally worth the 6 month wait :nallears:

Also, I like how Sangan went straight from forbidden to unlimited, but God forbid all of the old support on the list that wouldn't cause any issues get moved up one slot each banlist.

Also I understand why Zodiacs didn't get hit...but why is Interrupted slumber still at 2? It's definitely powerful enough that it should either be limited or banned, and Konami isn't making any money off of it, so...?

Total grade 3/10

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Sangan was unlimited because his errata and the general powercreep in the game has rendered it too slow for most decks to run efficiently.

Zoodiacs got hit. They're still going to be nuts, but the loss of a Rat removes a decent amount of power from them.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Why hit Maxx C even further? It's a far more strategic way of dealing with your opponent's combos than Dimensional loving Barrier. Why is this entire list just errata unbans after 6 months of card releases? Why did they only hit 2 cards anybody actually still plays, and only to 2? Why?

Why is Ravine still not at 3

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Why is Solemn Strike still at 3? Why is PSY-Framelord Omega still at 3? WHERE STRATOS

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Maxx "c" at one is the stupidest poo poo, it just makes it even more of a massive swing card if you draw it.

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbBbv2eC4lk

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 22, 2017

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

If you've been following the leaks today...

There's a rule that lets you take both Extra Zones. It's not especially practical, but I trust the YGO community to break it soon enough.

More importantly though, they errata'd Darkness Approaches. :smith: Links are now officially poo poo for this reason alone.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The guys at the locals have been telling me friend that Monarchs aren't competitive anymore. I don't know why they think that, its still a pretty consistent and irritating deck to play against. Domain shuts a lot of decks down right away if you don't have any removal in your hand. All the monarchs are fairly beefy and domain helps them get over most things anyway. Good protection, good monster abilities, that trap they lets them tribute summon on either players turn, annoying trap monsters, Edea and the other lil dark one. I could go on. I tend to bring an extra deck heavy deck and a non extra deck focused deck with me when we play just in case he's brought monarchs.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Monarchs aren't competitive only in the strictest of senses: they're not topping big tournaments. They're still a force to be reckoned with, certainly fine to bring to a locals. They're also gonna see a resurgence when Links hit because they're the best "no extra" deck, and while I dunno if that's actually gonna be better than just sucking up and using Links, it sounds like it's what a lot of people plan to do.

FWIW Monarchs are the deck I see most often by a fair margin playing randoms online in YGOPro.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Lately all I've been seeing on Ygopro is zoodiac.

I hate my local, its all dudes with top tier decks that are there to WIN. I sound so whiny but last time I was there it was all blue eyes and an Omega/Minverva the Exalted Lightsworn with shiranui/uni-zombie engine deck. Gg local, gg.

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!
A lot of locals will have people using it for a testing grounds of sorts, before they take it to a bigger event.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm probably making a bigger deal of this than warranted, but Konami's doing a twitter poll of which archetype from the next set people are most looking forward to. I voted since I figure companies generally do polls like this for a reason, even if probably a small one.

https://twitter.com/YuGiOh_OCG_INFO/status/849212425702330369

In order from top to bottom, the options are
Trickstar
Gouki
Twilightsworn
Star Grail

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Trickstars look really cool actually.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

MiddleOne posted:

Trickstars look really cool actually.

They do indeed. Between idols and wrestlers, COTD has something for just about everyone (who'd be into an anime card game in the first place, anyway :v:).

Reincarnation, though. Completely generic, no condition, no cost, one-sided Card Destruction that keeps its targets out of grave, and can be searched by almost the entire archetype (via Candina)? There's no way it's staying unlimited forever.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Might be mitigated by trickstars being mediocre at best.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Might be mitigated by trickstars being mediocre at best.

It's an anime archetype right? That makes it virtually guaranteed.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 4, 2017

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

MiddleOne posted:

It's an anim archetype right? That makes it virtually guaranteed.

It is an anime archetype, but if you just wanna mess with the opponent's hand or mill, you don't need to use the archetype at all to run the trap. Again, there's no cost or condition whatsoever on the hand-banish effect, not even an OPT, that's what makes me consider it insane and not just silly.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

MiddleOne posted:

So were Performapals and Performages :rolleye:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Most of Arc-V's anime decks were really good though? And several of them were highly meta?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

All I remember is Qliphots getting dropped really early in ARC-V's run and being dominant basically until Pepe.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Off the top of my head, Performapals, Performages, Odd-Eyes/Pendulum Magicians, D/D, Phantom Knights, Speedroids, Wind Witches, and Predaplants are all anime things from Arc-V that have had tops or been used in meta decks.

Beyond that, Lunalights, Superheavies, Aqua Actresses, Melodious, and Abyss Actors are all very playable, with a couple of them being outright great.

Arc-V was really, really good in terms of it's anime decks. I'm hoping VRAINS is the same way.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Don't forget Fluffals!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I am playing them in a tournament soon how the gently caress did they slip my mind.

• Locked thread